Posted in music on June 25, 2007

77 Drums

More details on the Boredoms 77 Drummer thing happening in Brooklyn Bridge Park on 7/7/7 have emerged. According to The Daily Swarm,

The gates will open at 4:00 PM, and the show features performances by First Nation and Soft Circle and DJ sets from Gang Gang Dance before the 77-minute 77BOADRUM performance takes place just before sunset. Admission is free, but an RSVP is required. Full details, directions, and RSVP information will be available at www.viceland.com/77boadrum soon.

The performance’s 77 full 5-piece, 3 cymbal drum kits will be arranged in a circular pattern, spiraling out from the center like a coiled snake, where the Boredoms’ own drum kits and Eye’s electronic instruments will sit atop a raised platform. Joining the Boredoms will be 74 additional drummers, 10 of whom will serve as drum leaders and cue the rest.

The volunteer army of drummers represent many of the best players in New York City’s avant/experimental underground and were selected by the event’s music director Hisham Bharoocha. They come from a diverse group of bands and musicians who have drawn influence and inspiration from the Boredoms throughout the group’s 20-year career, including Hugo Burnham of Gang of Four, Tim Dewit and Lizzi Bougatsos of Gang Gang Dance, Andrew W.K., David Grubbs, Hart Mingus of Negative Approach, Matthias Schulz of Holy Fuck, and members of Aa, Crash Worship, God Is My Co-Pilot, Sunburned Hand of the Man, Oneida, Excepter, Antietam, Dymaxion, Panthers, and many others. The full line-up of drummers will be finalized this week.

Tags: Boredoms, VICE

if zero is counted, wouldn't that be 78?

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 2:04 PM

the link to rsvp isn't working does that mean rsvp is closed? I hope not!

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 2:05 PM

Eye doesn't play drums

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 2:08 PM

this is too wacky

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 2:17 PM

wow this looks incredible. what happens if it rains?

Posted by betina | June 25, 2007 2:31 PM

"the link to rsvp isn't working does that mean rsvp is closed? I hope not!"

Please read the text first:

"RSVP information will be available at www.viceland.com/77boadrum soon."

The operative word is "soon".

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 2:32 PM

They should do a collaboration piece with Glenn Branca's "100 Guitars" thing..

Posted by Richie | June 25, 2007 2:55 PM

link is working, can't believe i'm gonna miss this.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 3:10 PM

Website is really unclear. I want to bring 2 others, but rsvp implies you are in a "contest" for 1 rsvp. Anyone figure this out?

Posted by birdboy | June 25, 2007 3:55 PM

FUKIN YES

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 3:55 PM

The RSVP is super unclear. The "contest" message is in the confirmation screen, so they could just have the confirmation re-directing to the wrong thing.

I was hoping I would get a follow up email but hasn't happened yet.....

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 4:18 PM

i rsvp'd via going.com and they just emailed me some coupons for free Dove bathroom soap!

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 4:37 PM

entered the 'contest' but no e-mail confirmation either. eh, who cares. ticket or not, i'm getting in and enjoying this... NO MATTER WHAT

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2007 6:20 PM

What is with this RSVP stuff? Since when did Boredoms become Paris Hilton? Seriously, I'm bum rushing to get in.

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 2:09 AM

soooooo excited. andrew w.k.?! awesome. is brian chippendale not in town?

Posted by alias pail | June 26, 2007 11:26 AM

Hey, dont forget check out the other orgs who are making this gig POSSIBLE---Jelly NYC and Brooklyn Bridge Park Conservancy (same folks who saved the Brooklyn Hip Hop Festival)

Let's go Brooklyn!

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2007 6:47 PM

Shouldn't this performance commence at 7?

Posted by Believer | June 28, 2007 2:34 PM

this is the dumbest shit I have ever heard of, and the guy who asks if zero counts is an absolute moron

Posted by bill | July 3, 2007 10:42 AM

Posted by bill | July 3, 2007 10:42 AM

Posted by bill | July 3, 2007 10:42 AM

Posted by bill | July 3, 2007 10:42 AM

Posted by bill | July 3, 2007 10:42 AM

i couldnt possibly imagine a scenario where this outdoor show would deny people entrance. its a big park! rsvp sure, but im coming a long way for this show, they should be more on top of this scene. that said, im not too worried. i dont cant really see this 'selling out'

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 10:57 PM

Posted by asm | July 3, 2007 10:57 PM

has anyone received a confirmation email yet?

Posted by j | July 6, 2007 6:52 PM

I received a confirmation email, but all it was was some CSS definitions.

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2007 8:20 PM

Confirmation came in at like 6 tonight. Says they're gonna be turning folks away for real, to get there at like 2:30 (!!!) for 4:00 doors. Jeezis.

Posted by anon | July 6, 2007 11:44 PM

I gotta pay 30 bucks to catch the Chinatown bus up to NYC from DC and I still haven't received a confirmation email. When I did the RSVP I got this message, "Thank you. We are nearly at capacity and may not be able to accommodate everyone who RSVPs. We will be sending out confirmation emails on Friday."
Never did get the email confirmation. You guys think its worth paying to go up their without an
email confirmation? Will I be able to get in?

Posted by andrew | July 6, 2007 11:51 PM

email confirmation? Will I be able to get in?

Posted by andrew | July 6, 2007 11:52 PM

email confirmation? Will I be able to get in?le to get in?

Posted by andrew | July 6, 2007 11:53 PM

email confirmation? Will I be able to get in?

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2007 11:53 PM

sry for the repeated posting not trying to be annoying I just didnt see my post showing up so I kept reposting when all I had to do was refresh

Posted by andrew | July 6, 2007 11:59 PM

I got this earlier tonight. Thank goodness I RSVP'd weeks ago! Whatever did we do without the incredible transformative technology of the internet? Perhaps we learned the place and time we were supposed to line up at more than 18 hours beforehand.

Thank you for RSVPing to tomorrow's BOREDOMS 77BOADRUM performance.

Your name has been added to the RSVP list for the event. HOWEVER, the RSVP response has been overwhelming - which means that we CANNOT guarantee admission, except on a first come-first served basis. We cannot overstate this: Not everyone will be allowed in.

The line will begin at the corner of New Dock and Water Street at 2:30pm. Please do NOT arrive before 2:30pm as the police stationed there will ask you to move along. Doors will open at 4pm. After we hit capacity, we can only admit you on a one-in, one-out basis.

PLEASE BE PREPARED TO WAIT, OR TO BE TURNED AWAY.

Posted by Michael | July 7, 2007 1:36 AM

I have to say this is utter crap and poor organization for a concert.

At first the only way I could interpret this email RSVP thing was there was going to be some kind of lottery, which made it utterly impossible to plan to go to this gig with any group of people. But we all applied anyway, just to see if we got lucky.

And now it turns out this email rsvp is completely meaningless, and you're still only going to get into the show if you're aggressive enough to step on your fellow human beings and get in first.

Note to the clowns responsible for this clusterf*ck - just sell tickets like any other responsible promoter so that people can plan appropriately to attend your show. And don't give me that 'free concert' crap either - free is meaningless when it costs $50 to drive, park, and eat, which you're asking me to do now ANYWAY on the outside chance that I might get into the show.

Sorry, I'll stay home and barbecue, thanks, and see the Boredoms later when they do a proper show.

Posted by John | July 7, 2007 7:13 AM

yeah, it was poorly organized in regards to not hearing anything back until last night and yes, it's going to be swarming with people.... but i can't believe you're complaining about this! it's a free show that's probably going to go down as one of the best shows of the year, and you're crying about having to drive and park and eat. boo-hoo! just imagine if they had charged 30.00 a pop for tickets, then you would have that expense on top of everything else you mentioned.

it's good you're staying home. the last thing this event needs is negativity!

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2007 9:30 AM

Hey Ward Cleaver good idea you stay away and fire up your George Foreman grill. Sound like someones nagging soon to be dumped annoying gf or controling bf. Free is a kind gesture for folks who don't have cars to jump in and 50's to complain about spending. Go see Sting in a hockey rink if your so into music as being a conveniant spectator sport. Did it occur to you that organizers may never have expected such an overwhelming response? 1st come basis is really only option now. So don't bother trying to see Boredoms, continue to bore yourself and others around you with your whining.

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2007 9:36 AM

What a bunch of babies! You snooze you lose. Fuck, I missed out on this but you don't see me crying. Suck up and see them at a "proper" show (when you pay).

Posted by wdlv | July 7, 2007 11:14 AM

BOREDOMS request that you leave your cameras at home for 77BOADRUM. In their words, "We want people to remember in their mind, not in their camera."

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2007 11:51 AM

Dear Anonymous - please understand I kvetch with your best interests at heart. Do you trust your well-being to a promoter who treats you with such a lack of professionalism before the show? Or do you prefer concerts where your fellow concert-goers live the you snooze-you lose attitude, and will think nothing about putting a boot in your head. Good luck getting assistance from the unpaid volunteers in that situation. I would rather they charge something so that a show of this magnitude had proper security and organization. That's not to say that they won't, and the show might be summer-of-love fantastic, but disorganization at the last minute does not speak well of the impending scene.

In any case, do come back and comment on the show afterwards please, I would love to be proved wrong in this regard.

Posted by John | July 7, 2007 12:31 PM

so are people really gonna start lining up at 2:30?? if the park has such huge capacity, what's the point??

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2007 1:02 PM

wish I coulda gone, lame, didnt know if trip up to nyc from dc would be worth getting denied entrance at the door. For people that went, did they let just about everyone in, could you enjoy the concert from other parts of the park that weren't designated for concert goers?

Posted by filled to the brim | July 7, 2007 3:48 PM

sounds like a trainwreck on the logistics side. Why didn't they work this out better?

It is inexcusable that the promoter, JellyNYC went through this whole RSVP hassle, only to have RSVPing not actually guarantee entry.

People have to plan their lives, you know? Not cool to screw them like this. How hard would it have been to only RSVP the number of people that the park can hold and not lead anyone on as to who's going to get turned away?

The only point of having an RSVP system at all is to help people plan and know ahead of time whether they're going to be getting into this thing or not - and for JellyNYC to get email addresses for their mailing list.

Sure seems like JellyNYC only cared about gathering as many email addresses as possible...

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2007 5:17 PM

hey there all you people who sent in emails to 'RSVP...

expect a 50/50 chance you'll get turned away from this thing, and a emailbox full of spam starting Monday morning, and continuing forever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2007 5:44 PM

The park reached capacity at 6pm. Even getting there at 3:30pm wasn't good enough.

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2007 8:36 PM

great as a concept and pretty great to see in action, kudos to Boredoms for imagining it and pulling it off.

fucking absolutely stupid as shit as a logistical event though - the promoters/organizers totally dropped the ball.

People waiting in line for over 2 hours and *then* getting turned away?? You already know how many people the fucking park can hold - just quickly count out that many people and tell everybody else sorry, for fucksake! why waste people's time??

And couldn't the goddamn line have moved faster than 2 fucking hours wait time??

Can't these people count - only RSVP the number of people who can actually get in, and only have that number of people wait online - it's simplicity in itself!

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2007 3:45 AM

Got there at 2. Got in at 4.

The show was incredible.

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2007 6:23 AM

Suggestion: Don't post any more comments here; post them under the most recent BV post about the event: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2007/07/a_list_of_this.html

Posted by Anonymous | July 8, 2007 7:41 AM

That topic is truly valuable! Once, dissertation writing company facilitate me with writing term paper, which I was unable to finish due to personal reasons. I advise you dissertation help that will support you in your university life. All the best!

Posted by HansenSelena24 | March 16, 2012 4:34 AM