Posted in music | tour dates on June 29, 2007

MorrisseyJust a few posts ago I said I hoped Morrissey was able to play his show in NYC this weekend, and now...

Morrissey's concert at Madison Square Garden scheduled for tomorrow night the 30th of June has postponed due to illness.

The singer was taken ill earlier this week 7 songs into his performance in Boston which forced the postponement of that show as well as shows in Northampton, Mass and Philadelphia.

The artist's representatives are currently in the process of working on securing rescheduled dates and hope to make an announcement on Monday July 2nd. In the meantime Morrissey's performance July 6th at PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel NJ is to proceed as planned.

That really sucks.

Tags: Morrissey

Blast :(

What's the source of this press release?

Posted by Moz fan | June 29, 2007 6:46 PM

Got an email from MSG about it, it's a bit of a shame.

Posted by Ryan | June 29, 2007 7:24 PM

I'll await the rescheduled date.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2007 8:35 PM

WHAT A FAG

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2007 8:45 PM

that fat old homo always pulls that shit

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2007 8:46 PM

while part of me was really looking forward to the show sat night, i'm glad it's postponed. i'd rather see him after he gets his shit back together, rather than the first night back from an illness.

Posted by holmes | June 29, 2007 8:56 PM

Agree 100% Holmes.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2007 9:20 PM

agree 100%, ese

agree 100%, cholo

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2007 9:57 PM

Sure....and this has nothing to do with poor ticket sales? Seems rather, er, convenient, no?

Posted by Matt | June 29, 2007 11:08 PM

He canceled 2 other shows before this one and was trying to get better by the time this one came around...

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 12:01 AM

He didn't look very sick on Letterman, just pissed due to lack of ticket sales!

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 12:37 AM

this reminds me of when i was in HS in the mid 90's and he has 2 shows booked at carnegie hall and he cancelled both of them. I was so into "YOUR ARSENAL" at the time.., thankfully i didn't wind up buying tix.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 1:21 AM

are any of you guys famous singers that are pushing 50 years old? is it that unrealistic that an old dude gets sick on a 1.5 month tour? little dudes love to unnecessarily whine i tell you what...

Posted by k. voroshilov | June 30, 2007 1:40 AM

He recorded the Letterman performance like a week ago. Read up on your Brooklynvegan.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 1:41 AM

Perhaps poor ticket sales were due to the ticket prices??? I love Morrissey to pieces and I've seen him a bunch of times but I just couldn't bring myself to pay $75. When you go see a lot of shows it really adds up after awhile...

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 1:44 AM

If only his music wasn't boring and he wasn't an asshole (albeit a useful one with good taste and a talent for curating fests)

Posted by Chris | June 30, 2007 3:15 AM

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

Posted by Christopher | June 30, 2007 6:42 AM

he cancelled because of poor ticket sales. next time, try working with bowery presents or a smaller local promoter, love.

Posted by doubting thomas | June 30, 2007 8:31 AM

He recorded letterman Monday of this week and blamed said recording for playing a part in his illness....too much air conditioning.
www.musicmattersman.blogspot.com

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 9:50 AM

I also feel sad for the futre of Morrissey shows. This sure doesn't bode well for that. Anyone forr Sons and Hiers at bb kings?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 10:11 AM

I also feel sad for the futre of Morrissey shows. This sure doesn't bode well for that. Anyone for Sons and Hiers at bb kings?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 10:11 AM

I wonder how long it will take until he cancels the PNC gig? Anyone want to make a friendly wager?

Posted by qweebaroo! | June 30, 2007 11:49 AM

Reminds me of my own (disappointing) history of cancelled Smiths concerts. The band played (I believe) their first American gig at Danceteria on New Years Eve '83-'84. I had neither the money/influence/connections to get into Danceteria on New Years Eve (no advance tickets for this sort of thing - you showed up and waited on line, hoping against hope to get past the doordude), but I was consoled to learn that the band would return for another, more low key, Danceteria show a few days later in the new year (after a brief West Coast swing?). Alas, this return gig was cancelled owing to a Morrissey illness. *sigh*

Finally caught up to the Smiths at the Beacon Theater in '85 for the Meat Is Murder tour (Billy Bragg as opener). Great show that ended with a stage full of dancing fans and Morrissey throwing flowers to the crowd. *yay!*

Also saw them the following year at the Pier, near the Intrepid air museum, where a number of summer concerts were held in the 1980's. A large space with a large crowd, it was a solid show, but the vastness of the setting, and the sound occassionally blowing out to sea, made it not the best setting for a show. *ho-hum*

I believe it was the Strangeways tour where the Smiths were scheduled to play Radio City - their largest NY venue to date. And I had 2nd row seats!!! Yes, Virginia, the show was cancelled due to a Morrissey illness. *end of the Smiths, sigh*

So I made it to 2 of 4 possible Smiths gigs. Seems like par for the course.

Posted by drewo | June 30, 2007 12:11 PM

"Dear God, Please Help Me":
"Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" but "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel"? "He Knows I'd Love to See Him", but "I Just Want to See the Boy Happy". I didn't realize that "Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference", but "What Difference Does it Make"? I realize "That's Entertainment" but I'm still "Disappointed". I know that "These Things Take Time", but "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want This Time". "I Don't Mind if You Forget Me" and treat me like "Half a Person" because "I Know It's Going to Happen Someday". "In the Future When All's Well", "I Will See You in Far Off Places". "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now".

Posted by Christopher | June 30, 2007 12:52 PM

Take heart....there may still be the reschedule and I hope you had NJ tickets. I had a lot of tickets for East Coast venues and I have not seen him yet (this tour). But for me, "There is a light that never goes out"...I still can't be mad at him.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 1:35 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 1:36 PM

sometime in 1991-92, I got on stage at the Roseland and hugged Morrissey. when the bouncers pulled at every limb of mine jerking me back and forth, Morrissey held my hand like I was insulin. he wanted me there. awesome.
what really is a let down about the show's cancellation is that it brings people together for a few hours to listen to some honest music. brings friends together.

Posted by Kristopher | June 30, 2007 1:39 PM

He'll probably reschedule for September when all the students are in town and they will get tix at 50% off. Why do bands that can't fill arenas play arenas? Why doesn't he just play the Theater at MSG? Promoters are greedy bastards. These tix and most tix lately are WAY overpriced.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 2:23 PM

Was thinking why they didn't mention Borgata show in the Annoucement. Could it be b/c Borgata show isn't a Ticketmaster event? Anyway, strange for them to mention the 7/6 PNC show and not the 7/5 Borgata show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2007 8:58 AM

i actually have tickets for the borgata show, i hope it's still happening.

Posted by Brian | July 1, 2007 11:22 AM

Borgata show isn't a Live Nation show and it's in South Jersey while the PNC show is a Live Nation show, is udersold, and promoters like to think people from NYC travel easily to PNC.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2007 12:25 PM

morrissey has flown back to england whole tour cancelled

sorry

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2007 2:00 PM

Morrissey lives in LA...

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2007 2:04 PM

Actually he lives in Rome kids. Get your Moz facts straight.

Posted by Andy Rourke | July 1, 2007 2:49 PM

Well, *I* thought that he never acquired a permanent residence in Rome, so even Moz himself can't say where "home" is nowadays.

Posted by Julia Really | July 1, 2007 8:18 PM

Oh, something about the Letterman taping besides the frigid temperature of the Ed Sullivan Theater may have contributed to his illness. Dave and a couple of other guys ate some ribs during the show. Seeing that from the green room may have psychosomatically made Moz physically ill. Don't scoff, he's that gung-ho about animal rights.

Posted by Julia Really | July 1, 2007 8:21 PM

Check out my rib rantings from this morning..Julia Really speaks the truth.
www.musicmattersman.blogspot.com

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2007 12:33 AM

I heard that he got sick after hearing the numbers from the lack of ticket sales at MSG

Posted by yesisaidit | July 2, 2007 11:56 AM

Morrissey just rescheduled the Boston Show for this Saturday, July 7th.

Posted by johnny g | July 2, 2007 4:39 PM

The show did go on last night. Now I can rant about music and politics...when will it ever end? Should it?
www.musicmattersman.blogspot.com

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 8:16 AM

I agree 100% that it really sucks, when you are not able to visit a concert because of the singers illness. Maybe you won't e able to do it on a rescheduled date.

Posted by Tony Lovett | November 3, 2010 5:48 AM