Posted in music | pictures on June 17, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Tom Verlaine - From Her Fingers (MP3)

Sadly, Tom Verlaine announced that guitarist Richard Lloyd was (still) in the hospital. Jimmy Ripp filled in for him. (june 16, 2007)

Television @ Central Park Summerstage

Television @ Central Park Summerstage

Television @ Central Park Summerstage

I personally missed Dragons of Zynth, Apples in Stereo, and the rain. Read all about the show in the comments.

Aww BV you got a shot of them leaving the stage but the stage manager ass has his back turned. That is him in the white shirt. Did you get any shots of him making the choke hold to Jimmy Rip. And you can clearly see Verlaine smiling as he walked off the stage knowing full well he pissed off the Summerstage people. RIght after this he walked over to his manager on stage and started laughing and saying something to him

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2007 4:48 PM

That's a great close-up of Verlaine, BV.

My own pics and review are here:

Posted by DJA | June 17, 2007 5:05 PM

too bad you missed the apples set. it was a lot of fun, even the stage crew got into it for a bit and danced around inside their tent off to the side.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2007 5:30 PM

Man, Television's set seemed (for the most part) aimless and underwhelming. I am left wondering how much different (or better) it would have been had Richard Lloyd been on stage. His hefty playing is the perfect foil to Verlaine's fancy filagrees and noodling.

While I am sure Mr. Ripp is a fine guitar player he certainly took a back seat to Verlaine during the show. We saw what happened without Llyod around to do the heavy lifting; we were left with Verlaines endless wanking, especially during the songs that (I assume) came from his solo records.

At points it was reminiscent of Spinal Tap Mach III (when they opened up for the puppet show.) I half expected Verlaine at some point to yell into the microphone "Ladies and Gentleman, Derek Smalls on bass. He wrote this." It was that aimless at points.

The shows highlight came at the end, when they finished with "Marquee Moon." The song was filled with its usual transcendent moments and it did seem like the band didn't want it to end, which in turn led to the stage manager's tantrum that was alluded to above.

I certainly hope this wan't the bands final show. If it is, they went out limping.

btw, how about those waaaay long lines to use the bathrooms. wtf?

Posted by kwhitehead | June 17, 2007 10:14 PM

"also...did anybody else notice Fred Smith talking to someone on his cell phone on stage between songs near the end of the set?"

Yeah he was talking to Richard LLoyd. Richard called him. I could read Fred's lips when he went over to Verlaine with the phone.

And there were no songs from Verlaine's solo records

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2007 11:01 PM

Hey DJA
i read your review at your blog. The song is called Little Johnny JEWEL not Juice

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2007 11:06 PM

I loved watching the stage manager get more and more pissed as Marquee Moon went it's customary length. Obviously, this guy had never heard the song before and didn't know it goes 10 minutes long. And they even finished it without the last chorus!

Anyway, he was a bit of a prick.

Television...well, they were Television. I don't think I have the attention span for them in huge doses, but it was good to see them live, even without Richard Lloyd. The guy they brought in to sub for him did himself proud, though.

However, Dragons of Suck should never be allowed on stage again...in this city, at least. They are Hell's Cover Band, trying to do TV on the Radio songs. Annie Lennox (played during set breaks) did a better job covering the Clash than their weak efforts.

Posted by Stu | June 18, 2007 1:13 AM

Oy. Thanks for the typo alert -- fixed now.

Posted by DJA | June 18, 2007 1:50 AM

The show was kind of boring until Marquee Moon. And then watching the stage manager's rage made it all worth it. He clearly did not understand that the song NEEDS to go on for at least 10 minutes and that no amount of shouting STOP! and frantic arm-waving can stop rock'n'roll, baby.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2007 8:26 AM

if any of you saw verlaine at bowery, it was basically the same show but with more television songs. verlaine has an incredible way of annoying his fans. as much as lloyd is nuts and strung out, he does balance out verlaine. it wouldve been great to see him.

as for the show, jimmy is an amazing guitarist and it was an enjoyable show but for an outdoor summer show, you expect something a bit more rocking. instead, we got a bit of wank.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2007 8:33 AM

The security guards near the stage manager were all all cracking up. He was goes to burst a vein in his head and everyone else was laughing it off. Marquee Moon didn't click as much, but Little Johnny Jewel was great. Didn't care for the new version of Prove It, but mainly because it was missing Lloyd's parts.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2007 9:11 AM

Some bits are appearing at YouTube. Unfortunately I haven't seen any of the stage manager shenanigans offstage, yet.
This is not 'wankery' - just real, thoughtful, creative guitar improvising, done with ears and brains as well as fingers and memory, in real time.

Posted by schlep | June 18, 2007 9:28 AM

Television were awesome!!! Apples Sucked as always.

Dragons were on some new shit, I heard that they didn't even get a soundcheck. Very excited to see where these guys go from here, sky high I'm sure.

As well, it would be nice if all of the bands at Summer Stage got the same levels from PA's. So tired of the oldschool.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2007 12:05 PM

I disagree with the previous posting. The APples were great! Their new lineup, with Bill Doss from Olivia Tremor Control and John Ferguson on Keyboards; as well as new drummer John Dufilho, were seriously tighter than I have ever seen them in the past. If you like ELO, their new album "New Magnetic Wonder" is a seriously fun album with enough nooks and crannies to last through the Summer and Fall.

Love,

The Rat Bastard

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2007 1:15 PM

yea, the apples set was tight. if you don't like their music then thats your prerogative but they played well and were fun to watch.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2007 2:00 PM

My Take:

Apples = 4 out of 5. Fun, upbeat, nice outfit on keyboard player.

Television = 3 out of 5. Marquee Moon definetly the highlight but too much filler along the way. Stage Manager tantrum was priceless.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2007 10:54 PM

OK, I'm going to come down in the middle of this debate. First, let me assert that I really came to see Television; I really am not that familiar with the Apples; had heard a couple songs before. Anyway, I caught the last 20 mins of the Apples, and I thought they sounded quite good. But I really don't think one can compare the Apples to Television (or even Verlaine solo).

The Television show, though not as good as when I saw them in '92 (obviously the case without Lloyd), was still EXCELLENT! A couple of the slow songs dragged on (most notably the 2nd one and Sapphire), but Marquee Moon, Little Johnny Jewel, Persia and Glory were priceless. Remake of Prove It was interesting, but I was underwhelmed, and Venus was pretty good.

I was appalled when Verlaine announced that "our regular guitarist" is sick and couldn't be here. At least Ripp had the decency to wish him well BY NAME! Verlaine may be one of the greatest musical geniuses and master guitarists ever, but he can be a jerk.

By the way, for the record, I don't think they did ANY Verlaine solo songs; here is my best stab at the set list:

1880 or So (from Television '92)
?
Venus (from MM)
Little Johnny Jewel (first single)
Prove It (from MM)
?
Glory (from Adventure)
Sapphire
Persia (not on any studio album - yet)
Marquee Moon (from MM)

Posted by JasonNYC | June 19, 2007 12:27 AM

there was some girl reading 'father and sons' during apples in stereo and i wanted to get her number, but i got a beer.

Posted by ohhhh man! | June 21, 2007 7:32 PM

God, seeing that Stage Manager go berserk was the greatest thing ever. "Marquee Moon" made up for any slow parts in the set.

I personally loved Apples in Stereo.

My review:

Posted by Zach | June 22, 2007 2:12 PM

I personally loved Apples in Stereo.

My review: