Posted in music on June 11, 2007

Sonic Youth

Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation was reissued this week (with bonus stuff). The original came out in 1988. If you're twenty-five now, you were six then. Eighteen year olds were negative one. Even thirty year olds were only eleven. You pretty much needed to be born by 1969 or 70 to have even had a chance of being in college when the now classic album came out. What does Daydream Nation mean to you? If the answer is 'nothing', now you can catch up and decide by (either buying it, or) streaming it this week on AOL. Decide if the ticket price is worth it. Evan says it is. (The Slits are opening in Brooklyn by the way)

AOL is also streaming Queens of the Stone Age's Era Vulgaris, the newly reissued O'Death (Largehearted Boy missed that one) and the U.S. release of Datarock's album.

It's actually not a classic record, let's not be mistaken...it's an over-hyped tired product from a tired band. Now, if it was some un-earthed Big Star recording? That might be of some value.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 4:34 PM

Haha. Overhyped indeed. If I had a nickel for every Nissan commercial I've seen set to "Kissability" I'd be as rich as I am right this second, which is filthy rich. I was apparently more shocked than you to see Sanjaya sing "Total Trash" on Idol. You seem like a cool chick anyway....

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 4:39 PM

"Daydream Nation was ranked 14 in Spin's "100 Greatest Albums, 1985-2005". In 1989, it was ranked #45 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest albums of the 1980s. In 2003, the album was ranked number 329 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. In 2006, it was one of 50 recordings chosen that year by the Library of Congress to be added to the National Recording Registry. In 2006, the album ranked as the highest rated alternative album of 1988 on Sputnikmusic.[2] It is also listed as Pitchfork's top album of the 1980s"

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 4:42 PM

Thank you, wikipedia.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 4:45 PM

Yeah Daydream Nation is an awesome fucking record. The first 2 posters need to go back to their Bright Eyes cd's and fuck off. Although I do love BIg Star

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 4:47 PM

I was 19 when this album came out, living in NYC only when college let out for the summer, way into the Dead. Sonic Youth WAS/IS a NYC band no question, but at the time few knew them, this album put them on everyone's map for some reason, I didn't listen to it until 1992 or so way after college, after people and then the critics told me this was a good album. Yeah everybody going to high school in nyc knew of Sonic Youth, and if you traveled in those circles, some people may have saw them at Irving Plaza in 1986 (I missed that show) or CBGB's throughout 80's or Roseland later on but it wasn't until after this album that you sort of had to go see them. This band became more than just for those who like this sound or traveled in those circles.
Go see them play this album in 2007 because it's still good now and I'm sure they will rock it out.

Just one perspective of the scene at the time, not necessarily the entire reality, lets hear yours if you were in nyc in 1988.

Posted by rescueblues | June 11, 2007 4:50 PM

i bought it on cassette when it came out.

i'm 35 now and it rocked my honda for about a year.

to be honest though, EVOL rocked my world more.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 4:51 PM

I bought it recently and it is played home almost once a week. The ticket price is worh it.

Posted by Eduardo | June 11, 2007 4:57 PM

Ah and Animal Collective on sale.

Posted by Eduardo | June 11, 2007 4:59 PM

Caught the Youth at CB's right around DN time. Was not a big fan at the time, but was impressed with their wall-of-guitar noise at the CB's show (despite the cruddy sound of the venue at that time).

Ultimately found "Goo" to be my fav SY record.

Posted by drewo | June 11, 2007 5:10 PM

yeah EVOL got deep into Sonic Youth, then Daydream Nation solidified it.
i'm only 21 but getting into SY at 15 was a blessing.
good shit.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 5:11 PM

got me deep*

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 5:16 PM

the first time i listened to Teenage Riot when i was 16 profoundly affected my life.

Posted by righton | June 11, 2007 5:26 PM

I don't care for Sonic Youth at all.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 5:54 PM

Goo, goo, goo.

september gurls does it for me everytime!
i love this board. im' no one here, but i love it.

THANKS brooklyn vegan for making me feel OLD!

Posted by crank | June 11, 2007 6:00 PM

I was a metalhead growing up, but I always remember the Sonic Youth vinyl on sale at Numbers Records & Tapes (in Jackson Heights).

Didn't get into them until the '90s when Nirvana invented punk (yes, that's a joke).

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 6:03 PM

I was actually into SY before Daydream Nation...Death Valley 69 was on all my mixed tapes.
When the album was being produced, I was excited because I actually knew Nick Sansano (the producer) at the time--haven't seen him in probably 17 years.

The album was about the best possible thing that could have been expected, Sonic Youth maturing and playing perfectly written songs, and yet sounding very much like themselves.

The concert at the Ritz in October of 1988 was a celebration of sorts of the success of the album, and remains one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

I'll be there at the Pool in July with my best gear to record the concert!

Posted by danlynch | June 11, 2007 6:19 PM

I'm so unbelievably excited to see Daydream Nation live. Can't wait. It's an album that I never get sick of.

Posted by Erin | June 11, 2007 8:02 PM

Erin - I couldn't have said it better myself.

Posted by mp77 | June 11, 2007 9:11 PM

Aw c'mon Mr Frampton, you're not going to eat all those watermelons...

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 9:19 PM

hey danlynch, can you please explain to all the webster hall hating posters what became of the ritz????

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 9:35 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 9:35 PM

i love it when people try to deride classics just because they're classics

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 10:08 PM

Sister is the choice record, but they are incredible on Daydream Nation. They helped shape an era, and have remained fairly consistent.

I guess it's still cool to hate, great job everyone.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 10:37 PM

I just think it's a great record.

Posted by Anonymous | June 11, 2007 11:12 PM

hey, anonymous, the Ritz moved uptown in 1990 to the old address of Studio 54, and then after a couple of bad years, it folded.
The original E. 11th Street location of the Ritz is now, well, you know, its Webster Hall.
And except for a few cosmetic changes, its basically the exact same inside as it was in the good old days.

Posted by danlynch | June 12, 2007 12:08 AM

that album changed my life. it doesn't mean it will for everybody, but it did for a lot of other people too. and now i get to hear trilogy live. the world is mine.

Posted by skinnyslim | June 12, 2007 12:12 AM

the best album by one of the best bands. I discovered SY through Nirvana (was in 9th grade at the time), and they probably did more than any other group to shape my aesthetic sensibilities. They resurrected the best aspects of the punk/post-punk movements and made it relevant to a new generation. So many great bands took inspiration from SY that it would be difficult to overstate their influence. And I think Daydream Nation really crystallized many of the ideas they'd been playing with. I would certainly recommend that any newcomer to SY start with DN.

Posted by Lee | June 12, 2007 12:53 AM

The. Best. Album. Ever. (Someone clever somewhere made the point that DN was one of the last great vinyl records -- I'm no particular vinyl evangelist but I do think the crackle, the four-fold ritual of lowering the needle and the large-scale artwork are inherent to the record's greatness.)

Posted by whatlofi | June 12, 2007 6:40 AM

It's a good album, Teenage Riot and Silver Rocket are evergreen.

Posted by schlep | June 12, 2007 7:35 AM

big star?

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2007 9:32 AM

Okay, for the record, who cares if Rolling Stone voted it in the Top 100 Albums of the 80's? They also voted Joan Jett one of the "Top 50 Greatest Guitar players" or whatever. To Quote Robert Pollard: "my BROTHER plays guitar better then Joan Jett." Also Bright Eyes CD commenter, get a life. Thinking Sonic Youth is over-rated is hardly a reason to believe I'm out lovin' the Oberst, please. Sonic Youth had some great songs, but again, there's millions of bands that fall into that category of "having some great songs". Nothing special about that band or this record in particular, just putting my two cents in here.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2007 10:59 AM

Daydream Nation might be the best record to come out in the last 25 years. Except maybe for EVOL. Or Sister. But that's about it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 12, 2007 11:14 AM

Sonic YOuth are talking about Daydream nation on NPR right this very second.

Posted by sticks | June 12, 2007 2:16 PM

Yeah Webster Hall and Ritz share similarities, they both suck my ass!

Will definitely be picking this up tonite...I wore out my cassette years ago...

Posted by jim | June 12, 2007 3:36 PM

No cassette tape re-issue?!

Posted by setstatic@gmail.com | June 14, 2007 6:30 PM