Posted in music | pictures | video on June 7, 2007

The Maccabees @ Knitting Factory

Finally another danceable UK rock band I'm really excited about (see Franz Ferdinand and Bloc Party) - one that will still likely play a bunch of smaller venues in the U.S. (doesn't count). They're currently on tour with Bloc Party (in Asbury Park TONIGHT), and like Bloc Party - The Maccabees played their first NYC at Knitting Factory (last night - June 6, 2007). Sold out, and full of rowdy British kids, the band tore through a set that left me wanting much more...

The Maccabees @ Knitting Factory

The Maccabees @ Knitting Factory

The Maccabees @ Knitting Factory

The Maccabees @ Knitting Factory

The Maccabees @ Knitting Factory

The Maccabees @ Knitting Factory

More music is streaming at their official site.

The Noisettes - also from the UK and on tour with Bloc Party - headlined the show, and I'm sorry to say, but they still don't do it for me.

Previously
* Noisettes / MACCABEES tix back on sale + Album Stream

how were the Noisettes last night?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 1:15 PM

oh yay you got a picture of the crazy guitarist! he was amazing! i love musicians who interact with the audience like him! and i agree with you about noisettes--interesting sound, and you gotta give them credit for what they do, but i just don't see what everyone else sees...
i hope the maccabees come back to the states on their own. they seemed to enjoy the gig so it looks hopeful :o)

Posted by rachel | June 7, 2007 1:22 PM

I thought the Noisettes fucking rocked the house...so did Kip from TVOTR who was standing in front of me.

One of the best live performances I've seen in awhile.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 1:27 PM

Did you ask Kyp, or was Kyp just visually rocking out?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 1:32 PM

Noisettes ripped it up. Unfortunately, it seemed like a lot of people weren't in the mood for ripping. I liked them a lot but don't think I'd listen to their album on a regular basis.

Their set list: http://vejgurl.sarahforums.com/coppermine/displayimage/album=53/pos=40.html

The Maccabees are probably the next band I'm going to talk too much about and annoy my friends with. They were amazing and I can't wait for them to start headlining in the US...or get added to some of our festivals or something.

Their set list: http://vejgurl.sarahforums.com/coppermine/displayimage/album=53/pos=20.html

Sorry, too lazy to transcribe today.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 1:34 PM

He was just straight up groovin'. I didn't bother to ask him though, so I guess it could have been deceptive head bobbing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 1:36 PM

if anyone wants to see pics from noisettes

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 1:39 PM

They were so great last night. I'll get my photos up soon!

Posted by Leia J | June 7, 2007 1:40 PM

Eh I like both of these bands but hands down the show to be at last night was Marianne Faithful at Kaye Playhouse. A truly beautiful evening of song by a real honest to goodness legend. Magical.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 1:49 PM

"And once again BV does not even mention it instead talking about bands that no one will remember in years to come."

^ ^

jeez dude, write yr own blog then. no need to be pissy.

Posted by d | June 7, 2007 2:11 PM

D,

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 2:21 PM

stating a fact in a particulary dickish manner = being pissy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 2:25 PM

Maccabees were fantastic - seeing them at the Knitting Factory will be a once in a lifetime experience....

Noisettes are essentially bad musical theatre rock. Lead singer has a great voice / presence etc (hottest female bassist/singer since Cassandra from Crucial Taunt) - but ultimately the songs aren't particularly strong.

p.s. Was it not amazing how many drunk underage kids were there!?

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 2:32 PM

^^^^ agreed but the "dickish" manner you speak of is of course entirely your perception and not the intention of the author.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 2:36 PM

"instead talking about bands that no one will remember in years to come."

"D,
Stating a fact does not equal being pissy. And so going with your logic, anyone who has a problem with something done by George Bush should not express it but instead run for President"

^ ^ ^

and following yr ability to predict the future, you'll be able to let me know if voicing my dissent against george bush would do any good in changing the world. (one ridiculous reply deserves another)

fact is, there are dozens of good shows every night in nyc, so no need to slag off bv's free service for not covering everything of importance.

Posted by d | June 7, 2007 2:39 PM

argh... i had a ticket to this and totally forgot it was happening, instead going to see Long Blondes and WaS at Luna Lounge. I am an idiot sometimes.

Posted by bill p | June 7, 2007 2:42 PM

D,
Well the idea about letting you know about your opinion of Bush bringing change just did not make any sense in the discussion, ridiculous or not so i am not even gonna bother with that one.

and always room for improvement in everything so it is ok to slag especially when something really amazing is being overlooked.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 3:23 PM

WHAT DOES BUSH HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?

Daily Kos is the down the hall, second door on the left.

Posted by jerry | June 7, 2007 3:57 PM

3:23, you don't seem to understand what this site is all about. BV is a guy who has a particular taste and interest in music. He posts about the music he wants to post about, and we read it because we trust him and we want to know what he has to say about things. Nowhere on this site does he claim to be covering the best music in the city, nor does he claim to be covering artists which will be around forever. Therefore, your original comment about Marianne Faithful is meaningless. D's reply that you ought to create your own blog was quite sensible, however, and you've made yourself look like a complete asshole by carrying on with this argument.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 4:18 PM

Down with Bush! Anon 4:18 fer PREZ!

Posted by d | June 7, 2007 4:31 PM

Anon 4:18
I am the one who posted about Marianne Faithful. I could come back at you with a whole mess of arguments as to why you are a moron and what you think this site is is just that WHAT YOU THINK. You do not speak to the masses. Everyone gets what they want out of this site. Honestly BV posts many times about music he doesnt even care about but thinks others might. Much of it is good and music of it sucks. Sometimes i gather he posts about bands that he cares little about but he knows will get him "hits" because as you should know that is what gets blogs noticed in this day and age. With notice comes ad revenue!!!!! Anyway so on a blog about music there is nothing meaningless about commenting about other music. As well there is nothing wrong with commenting on the state of the music posted. It is all fair game.
But alas I digress
All i basically wanted to say to you was go fuck yourself, loser.

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 5:00 PM

Forget about the politics for a few seconds and look at my photos from the show!
;)

here:

Posted by Leia J | June 7, 2007 6:48 PM

"Go fuck yourself, loser". Thanks, you've just proven my point.

- 4:18

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 9:26 PM

4:18 for the win!

Posted by Anonymous | June 7, 2007 11:09 PM

I didn't stay for the Noisettes though. They're not really my cup of tea and those underage drunk kids were getting REALLY annoying.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2007 12:16 AM

Umm late to the conflict but what exactly proved your point? You actually do sound like a loser telling someone that they do not know what this site is all about. And what did you do dude, get your butt buddy to call you a winner or that was probably you doing it.
But in the interest of keeping score. As i see it, 4:18 loses this one.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2007 12:16 AM

i friggeeeen loved the maccabees. Hiiii new best band that everyone's going to be jealous of you when you say "i saw them OPENING at the knitting factory"

Posted by sarah | June 8, 2007 12:18 AM

4:18 wins hands down.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2007 12:36 AM

Yes i agree 4:18 wins hands down in the contest for biggest loser posting on this site. Yes they win and now they can continue posting as if they are someone else proclaiming they are the winner. What a tool hahaha

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2007 12:44 AM

ok, so it's sufficiently obvious that the critic here is pissy. I've made some intentionally silly replies and anon 4:18 was quite effective and concise but I think there are a couple more things that need to be said. please read the last line of this comment if you read nothing else.

so dude, you are speculating A LOT about bv's motivations for running this site. you claim to know that bv often posts about music he doesn't even care about in order to build hits to generate ad revenue. how many ads do you see on this site? look at the empty green sidebars. I usually see about three ads, which is far more tasteful than most other popular blogs. there are costs involved with maintaining a website. do you think bv is making tons of money of ads and not doing this because he's passionate about it? get real.

as for bringing up standing up against george bush in defense of you slagging off bv, when the hell did we ELECT bv?? nobody voted for him to be the leading indie rock blogger of the free world (sorry, plug awards don't count as an election). he doesn't have any fucking responsibility to answer to anyone's expectations, and you are not exercising your democratic rights by being snarky. you think you are being an activist? ok then, again, step up and write your own blog and build up a large following so that everyone knows exactly what shows YOU feel are important.

and this is only because I feel you deserve it:
"Much of it is good and music of it sucks."
proofread.

"that is what gets blogs noticed in this day and age."
as opposed to what got blogs noticed when our parents were young?

finally,
IT"S MARIANNE FAITHFULL!!! SPELL HER FUCKING NAME CORRECTLY IF YOU'RE GOING TO BE HIGH AND MIGHTY!!!

sincerely,
d

Posted by d | June 8, 2007 12:48 AM

"money of ads"

(money off of ads)

Posted by d | June 8, 2007 12:53 AM

OK well apparently D finally comes out of the shadow. Unfortunately for you fuckhead your lame attempt at trying to distance yourself and claim that 4:18 was not you is just ridiculous. Nice try though. And you must be seething because you have resorted to correcting typos and such. Lowest form of comeback that is.
Anyway, maybe you need a couple of lessons as well. The Bush thing was called an ANALOGY you freaking dumbass. I will explain it more clearly for you child. According to your idiot logic, if i dont like what is written on here I should go start my own blog because simply commenting on things I dont feel are right on this blog is not satisfactory enough. Hopefully you can figure out the analogy now. It had nothing to do with Bush being elected my dear cretin but instead the point was that It is ok to vent ones dissatisfaction without having to attempt to assume the same position.
The claims I make about some of the postings on here has the same validity as what you claim you think this site is all about. I never said he was making a ton of money. I have no idea what he makes but if you try to say getting traffic to your blog to gain any ad revenue is not a goal of every single webmaster out there well then you are even more of a dipshit than i thought already.
Actually i am not sure that is possible.And where did i ever state that BV was not passionate about his blog. All i said was that I am betting he knows some keywords or people to post about that maybe he is not so passionate about but knows will bring people to the site. I stick to that assessment.
In any case I will go now and allow you to pour over my latest post for any typos etc. You can also go back to assuming some anon postings claiming how you won and how great you are. But i mean seriously, did you really think you proved your worth by pointing out that i accidentally left off the last L of her name.
I think i proved my statement earlier that yes you won..for the biggest loser on this blog. Congrats

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2007 1:42 AM

This is 4:18.

Do you really think that I am D as well as all those other people who seem to agree that your argument is messed up? Think about how delusional that sounds.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2007 7:32 AM

i'm neither of you and I think the maccabes suck.

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2007 8:20 AM

Heh, you all are complete losers. That is D, 4:18(who personally i think as well are one and the same) and the original pissy poster. You all need to get lives, seriously

Posted by Anonymous | June 8, 2007 11:02 AM

for maccabees pix from their us tour goto whatmatthew.blogspot.com

Posted by greg | June 11, 2007 7:53 PM

why do these guys look like b-holes? as I knock my beer into my computer.

Posted by larsifer | September 24, 2007 10:47 PM

GREAT!!! It was an amazing show last night. Hopefully, the Maccabees will be back and will be headlining. They certainly left me wanting more.

Posted by Fensterbauer | November 23, 2010 7:27 AM

If you are in uncomfortable position and have got no money to get out from that, you would need to receive the business loans. Because that will aid you emphatically. I get sba loan every time I need and feel myself OK just because of it.

Posted by AnnieDaniels32 | January 30, 2012 3:44 AM