Posted in music | pictures on June 28, 2007

Manu Chao @ Prospect Park

The crazy thing is they confiscated all umbrellas at the door (almost all of them anyway). I was hoping to take a picture of all the umbrellas they had piled up by the entrance, but I forgot. Why they did that, I don't know.

Ends up there wasn't any rain for almost the entire concert - it felt like a miracle. Then like magic - it was magical I swear - it started coming down in buckets right as the encore kicked in ("King of the Bongo" I think?). Everyone went nuts - in a good way.

What made it even better was that right before the encore that Celebrate Brooklyn guy - the worst possible guy for the job - came out and told that crowd that due to "dangerous" thunderstorms about to come our way (cue: everyone in attendance BOOS at once, and then.... THUNDER...), Manu Chao would be allowed to come out and do one more song for us, but then we needed to all get home safely. He did not wish anyone luck finding their umbrella though.

Bigger pictures - especially of the crowd and rain, @ FLICKR, and one more photo and a bunch of comments HERE.

This show took place in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, NYC - a "Celbrate Brooklyn" "benefit" show - on June 27, 2007. It was the second night in a row, and the second year in a row.

Previously
* Manu Chao @ Prospect Park (Celebrate Brooklyn), NYC - pics
* VIDEO: Manu Chao - 'Blood & Fire' + Brooklyn Tomorrow!
* Manu Chao @ Celebrate Brooklyn (Prospect Park Bandshell), NYC | pics (2006)

Yeah everyone booed that hat Celebrate Brooklyn guy and chanted "CULERO!!". Great photos!!

Posted by BrooklynOmnivore | June 28, 2007 6:46 PM

second picture. bottom right.
guy or girl? you tell me.

Posted by katie | June 28, 2007 11:26 PM

Apparently the no umbrellas thing was at Manu Chao's request.

Posted by Anonymous | June 28, 2007 11:50 PM

Okay - the show was really fun, but let's face it, is was basically the same show as last year, even down to the anti-Bush shout-outs and calls for schools, education, etc. More power to Manu, but at least vary the message a little so I don't feel like I'm at the same concert again. Hard to believe there's a new album coming out.

It was a great show, but last year was better all round, especially because of the Gogol Bordello / Spiegel Tent after party.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2007 12:00 AM

Umbrellas do not belong at concerts! There are plenty of other ways to keep dry without blocking peoples view or poking someones eye out. Also why change a message consisting of "anti-Bush shout-outs and calls for schools, education, etc"? Sounds like a pretty good one to me. If it was the same show as last year, I missed a great show last year. I'll sign up right now for the same show next year!

Posted by jjazznola | June 29, 2007 2:07 AM

agreed. i would like to attend that same show every summer for the rest of my life.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2007 9:51 AM

The singer dude looks like the only one that has the right to take his shirt off and yet the other doughboys did

Posted by Fred Garvin | June 29, 2007 9:57 AM

Every guy and girl has a legal right to take their shirt off in nyc.

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2007 10:24 AM

ugh, look at all that litter. that is embarrasing.

do they take out the seats for most shows there? the only shows ive been to there have had seats.

Posted by seltzer92 | June 29, 2007 10:30 AM

dykefest on first row

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2007 10:40 AM

Anyone know the name of the gal or group who opened up for him on the 26th in Prospect Park?

Posted by S.Dac | June 30, 2007 4:26 AM

I agree: umbrellas do not belong at outdoor concerts. Bring a poncho, it's more effective and people-friendly. I wish they would have that policy at Central Park.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2007 8:30 AM

I went to his concert last year and this year and I really dont care if both of them were the same show. I LOVED THEM BOTH!! =)#1

Posted by BeautifulGirl | June 30, 2007 11:15 AM

I went to the Philly show on Friday night and while I appreciate the energy and enthusiasm his band expressed, I was really disappointed when every song but one ended in what sounded like the same fury of noise, over and over. I was expecting a more relaxed Manu Chao show, and I tried to appreciate what I did not expect, but it really was not that good. As for the political crap, he and Bono should go on tour together, maybe Eddie Vedder too. I agree with a lot of what he says, but I don't want to hear it at a show. I'll listen to my Manu Chao tracks longingly now, wishing he had played a show in a more relaxed mode. If he had advertised his tour as Manu Negra, I would have understood, but I probably wouldn't have gone.

Posted by brendan | July 1, 2007 1:32 PM

^^doesn't know how to dance^^

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2007 2:57 PM

we were at the prospect park show. it was so much FUN! 'til the sky opened up. Thanks for the great recap and pictures.

Posted by oddpodz | July 5, 2007 3:39 PM

Set your life easier take the loan and all you need.

Posted by LolitaTate | December 30, 2011 3:08 AM