Posted in MP3 | music | pictures on June 26, 2007

DOWNLOAD: The Weakerthans - Psalm for The Elks Lodge Last Call (MP3)

"Reunion Tour is the title of the fourth studio album by The Weakerthans, scheduled for release on September 25th, 2007 in the USA and a day earlier in Canada." [Wikipedia]

The Weakerthans on a boat

As I started to say the other day, the view from the Rocks Off boat cruises is great - you're really sailing on a boat around Manhattan. The Temptress - the larger of the two concert boats - sails from 41 St and West Side, and goes down all the way to the Statue of Liberty. The cruises are about 3-hours long. The band usually plays for about half that time. The rest of the time (or the whole time if you want to) you can be outside or looking out a window, or drinking (expensive drinks), or whatever.

As a big fan of the Weakerthans, I thought the Weakerthans show was super-duper. The set list was full of all the old hits and a bunch of new stuff off the new album (see above). I have a terrible memory when it comes to song names, set lists - even album titles...so I would love to list out all the songs, and especially name the one that I love and everyone sang along to at the end of the three-turned-four-song encore, but I'm too dumb, so.... More pics below....

the last song they played was my favorite chords, off left and leaving.

very sweet show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 1:30 PM

The view outside is great, but it really sucks that you can't see the bands on these cruises.

But I'll be at the Local H show in September, anyway. Beggars, choosers.

Posted by J | June 26, 2007 1:51 PM

This show was so good. So beyond worth it. Great vibe, great crowd , great scenery. People were involved and really into it, unlike some of the more industry populated land-based shows. And the Weakerthans rule. FUN.

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 2:04 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 2:04 PM

the guy was in propaghandi? they sound like propagandhi?

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 2:05 PM

yes he was in propagandhi, no, the weakerthans don't sound like them.

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 2:10 PM

Yup, ex-Propaghandi..I wouldn't say they sound like them though.

The Rocks Off boat shows are awesome, though I didn't get a chance to check this one out, argh!

Posted by Marlon | June 26, 2007 2:11 PM

Yeah, they sound nothing like Propagandhi. Closest Propagandhi ever got to sounding Weakerthan-esque were the two songs John sang on Less Talk (not surprisingly).

Posted by John B. | June 26, 2007 2:28 PM

The Weakerthans also played that School of Rock thing at Asbury on Saturday. I was sitting on the beach, relaxing and all of the sudden I heard them playing. I didn't know they were still around.

'The diagnosis of a foreign frame of heart'

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2007 2:55 PM

Last time they played NYC they covered Gifts, one of the songs John sang in Propagandhi. Here's the set list (not in order, sorry):

Confessions of a Futon Revolutionist
Aside
Watermark
This Is A Fire Door Never Leave Open
Left and Leaving
My Favorite Chords (They played this last in their encore)
Civil Twilight
Sun in an Empty Room
Night Windows
Manifest (This was last before the encore)
The Reasons
Psalm For The Elks Lodge Last Call (They opened with this)
Plea From A Cat Named Virtue
Our Retired Explorer
One Great City
The Prescience of Dawn
+ 1 new one about curling

Posted by RKB | June 26, 2007 4:09 PM

I had no idea the Weakerthans broke up! Thank god they're back. I saw them in Orlando a few years ago and they blew my gord. Can't wait for nu-albumz and traveling somewhere to see them; since not many respectable bands come to this hole we call Florida anymore.

Posted by billy white | July 26, 2007 10:23 AM

I wasn't in this crowd, but looking at photos wouldn't say it was till such extend great, though I may be mistaken... I like cruises myself, it's a nice possibility to make friends with new interesting people with whom you have something incommon.

Posted by John - Phone Cards | May 21, 2009 11:36 AM