Posted in music | tour dates on June 13, 2007

White StripesNYC is not the only place they're doing it:

The White Stripes will be performing a very special show in West Hollywood, CA on June 20th. The band will play a live show for fans at a specially constructed “Icky Thump Records” store on Sunset Boulevard. The location of Icky Thump Records is the site of the former Tower Records flagship store at 8801 W. Sunset Blvd. Tickets for this unique performance will be made available to the first 200 fans who purchase the album at this store, which opens at midnight on Monday, June 18th. Tickets are limited and will be given on a first come, first served basis. A handful of tickets will also be available to listeners of KROQ radio from Friday, June 15 – Sunday, June 17th. The Icky Thump Records performance will be the band’s first Los Angeles show since December 2005.
All tour dates HERE.

what about the sign at virgin records? will there still be a show in nyc?

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2007 6:21 PM

"what about the sign at virgin records? will there still be a show in nyc?"

get with the program.

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2007 6:32 PM

Well.........i can just see a bunch of people sleeping outside of this store starting now!

LAME!

Too much notice...I will try anyways.

Posted by Tony | June 13, 2007 8:04 PM

too much of a notice but will go and see if I go camp out on Saturday when I come home from school.

Posted by Nasser | June 13, 2007 9:45 PM

they're going to stream this:

Posted by brooklynvegan | June 14, 2007 9:09 PM

Seriously..people started the line on Saturday Night!!!.. and now I'm counting how many people are there's about 35!! I bet these people feel stupid now.

Posted by Kagan | June 18, 2007 2:12 PM

me and my buddies started lining up on sunday and it was quiet an experience and well worth it i was 70th in line but a night of sleeping on the asphalt is worth a free ticket to see jack do his thing and the tower records is quiet small inside so this should be intresting
bgben

Posted by ben | June 19, 2007 6:22 AM

Last night hundreds of fans lined up at the old Tower Records location at 8801 Sunset to obtain a copy of the new White Stripes cd "ICKY THUMP", thereby obtaining a free ticket to their special performance scheduled this Wednesday, June 20th. Some had camped out hours before the specially themed Icky Thump Records store was to open at midnight for the sale. The event was organized by Warner Brothers Records, and it was poorly executed. The advertised promotion stated 200 tickets were to be given out. Towards the later part of the evening, numbers were distributed to the first 200 people in line. Yet, there was false indication made to the remainder of the people in line to continue waiting. My estimate is that an additional 200 people waited in line. At no time did a representative of Warner Brothers Records or the event came out to say something along the lines of:

"I am an authorized representative of this event, and I want to state that if you do not have a number, you will not receive a ticket"

What resulted was a misuse of many peoples time, all for promotional purposes and gain of Warner Brothers Records. I, as well as other people, will confirm that a spokesperson or a worker at the event stated that people should remain in line, and that tickets may be given to those without numbers. This was a false promise that should not have been made.

Please join me in spreading this bulletin. You can help by contacting Warner Brothers Records to issue a complain and to contact the Better Business Bureau. The Better Business Bureau is a federal entity that processes and handles consumer complains against businesses. Let's not let record companies take advantage and lie to consumers for their financial business gains.

The link: http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=100031278

Posted by Dylan | June 19, 2007 1:19 PM

The whole event was a word of mouth thing.
It was not be promoted on tv or anything. Online and word of mouth. Only Morons showed up after 200, other people in line told them, that 200 would receive tickets. Believe me, I WAS IN LINE! I got me a spot so crap on you guys

Posted by bob dole | June 20, 2007 2:59 AM

Dylan,

Where in the heck did you get in your mind that more than 200 tickets would be given out? On the White Stripes site itself it said that only the first 200 people would get tickets. Every news media outlet that announced it EXPLICLITLY stated that only the first 200 people would get tickets. When I was there I spoke with the people working there, they said only 200 people would get tickets. That is why I was there for 14 HOURS THAT DAY and barely got in at number 188. If you can't read or don't bother to checkup on things, don't blame the record company. It's your own ineptitude.

Posted by Dan | June 22, 2007 7:24 PM

" The Better Business Bureau is a federal entity"

No, it is not. The Better Business Bureau is not a government agency.

Posted by Rox | January 30, 2008 1:31 PM