Posted in music on July 20, 2007

Pitchfork says,

Ben Bridwell is a nice dude, but like all of us, he's prone to a bad mood every now and then. Attendees at Band of Horses' July 6 show at Canes Bar & Grill in San Diego were privy to one of those moods, as Bridwell, after experiencing some frustration with the performance, proceeded to flip the bird to a woman named Rosemary who was filming the band's performance of "The Funeral".
According to various reports, he eventually apologized for the outburst (which reportedly included a rant against YouTube-ing show tapers), but by that time, Rosemary had left the club to later write a livid blog post voicing her disapproval of Bridwell's behavior."
So Pitchfork interviewed Ben, who, among other things, said.....
It seems to keep happening. You see it getting progressively worse. It's almost like the skateboarding community, where everyone's a fucking photographer now. You look at shots, and it's hard to keep the photographers out of the shot, you know? It kind of seems like the same thing with indie rock; everyone's got a fucking camera in their hand and, I don't know, is there no sanctity left for live performance with going to a show and seeing it with your own eyes and remembering it? Do you have to tape every second, or even just your favorite song? I understand it, but it's becoming annoying.
Band of Horses play McCarren Pool Sunday. Decide for yourself if you want to RSVP (and/or bring your video equipment). Band of Horses' new album Cease to Begin is out October 9th on Sub Pop.

Good for Ben. He is totally right. That stupid bitch has nothing to rant about. She kept filming even after he made it clear a few times he did not like it. He should have kicked her in the face.
I cannot wait to see how he is gonna react at McCarren with the JellyNYC schmucks letting 1000 photographers on the stage during the shows.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 4:58 AM

I remember him very annoyed at the hiro ballroom show at the beginning of their set. There was a guy with a camera filming and Ben wouldn't have bothered if the camera didn't have a strong light going straight to his eyes. He waved at the camera man to ask him to stop but only after a couple of times he got it. Ben, totally understandable.

Posted by Eduardo | July 20, 2007 6:30 AM

I agree with him.. you watch these grainy distorted Youtube clips and you can see 10 other people in the rows in front snapping or filiming away at the same show.. Could people not just have faith that there's bound to be somebody else who'll document the event and put it on the internet, if they're really so worried about having a souvenir of it?

Posted by Richie | July 20, 2007 7:45 AM

it's out of control... too many people taking terrible pictures. let the backlash begin please.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 8:44 AM

i'm totally guilty of taking too many photos at some shows, but it tends to correspond with how many drinks i've had. that said, i think it's totally fine to take a couple shots here and there during the show, or even a quick clip. but i'm in agreement that some people are taking it way too far and not taking it in.

Posted by janelle | July 20, 2007 8:53 AM

And for the love of God, you are not getting a good picture on your cameraphone from the back of webster hall.

Posted by jonathan | July 20, 2007 9:05 AM

Good for them! Can we please stop with the picture taking at concerts? Can't we just enjoy the show? The show is much better when you are not behind a viewfinder.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 9:09 AM

Amen! fuck these people taking pictures constantly!

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 9:38 AM

i can understand if you're right up front taking a couple of pictures (if you're further back it's a no-no). but no video—the sound will always be shit and nobody wants to watch a video of some asshole yelling out "freebird" or "play some slayer" the duration of the clip.

Posted by M | July 20, 2007 9:58 AM

Shouldn't he be glad that people care about his band? I understand both sides of the argument, but come on, you're in a band. People like your music and go to your shows. Would he prefer that no one was there? I mean seriously, you aren't a huge rock star.

Posted by Anonymous1 | July 20, 2007 10:01 AM

enough with the pix and the u tube shit.
makes me not wanna go to shows anymore cause i hate dealing with those assholes that have to weasle up front not to watch the band, but to prove they "were there"
ass munchers

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 10:19 AM

but you are all forgetting the fact that band of horses suck ass. big time.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 10:24 AM

While I understand the frustration of trying to play facing a sea of flashes and the digital glow of shitty cell phone cameras, a band like Band of Horses needs to be careful not to divorce themselves from the YouTube and bloggers. Without the interweb, no one outside of Seattle would know who they are.

Posted by Christopher | July 20, 2007 10:28 AM

you're right, christopher. after all, who has heard of that label they're on -- what is it, pub rock? grub jazz? oh, sub pop! right.

Posted by maura | July 20, 2007 10:33 AM

chrissie hynde used to stop shows because of over zealous amateur photographers. people labeled her a bitch, when in fact it has got to be distracting for the performer. leave your flippin cell phones at home and burn the show into your memory.

Posted by mark | July 20, 2007 10:38 AM

This was the band that allowed an episode of "I'm From Rolling Stone" to be filmed at their first Bowery show, right?

Posted by J | July 20, 2007 10:41 AM

sub pop? eh, who cares. tell that to pissed jeans.. (who????)

if cameras really make things terrible, institute a no camera rule and have venue security enforce it. no big deal, most larger venues can handle this request.

but the dude is a little douchey... i mean you've got ONE album out, it's like a year old and already you're upset that people love FUNERAL more than the other songs?

cry me a river

Posted by sub slop | July 20, 2007 10:54 AM

this girl sucks... did u read about her getting free tickets and selling them and eating diner wih coupons and about her birthday and... whatever.

she sounds like some young office worker corporate type that u see at indie rock shows...

how bout u experience the music and put the camera down?

the guy has a right to say no

Posted by reality | July 20, 2007 10:58 AM

Hey, it's all a phenomenon of the online social networking lives we're leading. How do you prove your social cachet to friends without pictures to upload to your Facebook page or wherever?

It's a contagious thing, and more people are getting sick. Wait till SirenFest this weekend. Eek.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 11:05 AM

It used to be different. It used to be possible to enjoy a show intensely, in the moment, without being surrounded by people talking on cellphones and the glow of ubiquitous handheld devices (people having to tap away or check their messages because this verse is a little boring and they can't wait for the next chorus); the camera phones people compulsively hold-up, arms and gadgets in everyone's face every five seconds, and worst of all, the jackasses who can't experience life, but instead must filter every moment of it through a lens. How are they different from tourists at Disney World, or the retarded family at the zoo? The awful, grainy images from their digital cameras aren't even really for public consumption, they're for the egos, friends and family blogs and emptily media-saturated lives of the people making the recordings.

The only way this is going to stop is if musicians keep blowing up at the solipsistic brats who have forgotten -- or never realized -- that live music is about a shared crowd experience, in the present. Don't go if you're only there to talk. Put down your fucking device and experience the show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 11:40 AM

AMEN! I'm tired of indie rock blogger kids whipping out their cameras & cell phone to record all moments of a goddamn show. I hate all the illuminated LCD screens that pop up all around me when I'm at a concert. It's distracting. Then I see people staring through their tiny viewfinder for the entire show.

I agree with Ben-- Why can't people just use their own frigging ears & eyes to experience the show & retain it to memory?!? Trust me, you will still enjoy the show. People have been doing it for years & years & years before the advent of the cell phone camera & digital camera. In fact, you'll probably enjoy it more b/c you won't be preoccupied about getting a good shot through your shitty Cyber-cam.

And if you want something preserved for posterity on a shitty, grainy, tiny cell phone video, then you're a jackass. Bands are good at releasing official live albums or videos. Wait for it. It's part of the fun & anticipation.

But the bottom line is, if a performer fucking TELLS you-- or gestures at you-- to stop filming a performance, you should comply & put your fucking camera away. Show some respect & don't be so selfish or stubborn. And you really don't then go blog about how the performer is a douchebag. YOU'RE the douchebag!

Rant over. Sorry.

Posted by Matt | July 20, 2007 11:49 AM

If the concert is not up on flickr, then it never really happened.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 12:05 PM

Band of Horses is great live. I know. I posted a vid of one of their summer European shows on youtube. (*whoops)

Just wish they'd play the accoustic version of Wicked Gil!

Posted by Basil Miller | July 20, 2007 12:16 PM

By the way, J@10:41am: The professional camera crew from "I'm From Rolling Stone" is a lot different from a hoard of 20-something kids filming with their camera phones. You're an idiot if you're likening the two. The show got permission from the band to shoot their performance. It's an official crew, obviously.

And by the way, not that it matters, but for what it's worth, the band was hardly shown in that episode. The mostly showed the idiot interns in the crowd. (That show blew, btw.)

Posted by Matt | July 20, 2007 12:17 PM

what's the big deal about a flipped bird? how thin skinned can you be? i would have laughed, flipped him back and said "I see you seeing me recording you, dipshit - you're preforming in public." I would certainly have stuck around to see what happened and I would have gotten the hissy fit captured too. imagine if this girl went to see anal cunt or gg allin or even the fuckin sex pistols. "OMG he SPIT on me" - she'd call the cops.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 12:17 PM

Venues just need to enforce no camera policies. I've had plenty of times where i arrive to webster hall and they've fucked up my photo pass, so i take it as an opportunity to relax and experience the show. and then my view it blocked by a bunch of morons holding up their cell phones.
But it's almost impossible to enforce with nearly everyone having some sort of glowing picture taking device, so band's are just gonna have to get used to and deal with it. As long as there has been cameras, people have been photographing concerts. it's not gonna stop anytime soon.
I honestly can enjoy a concert just fine when my eye is glued to the viewfinder, but some people new allow themselves to step back from the camera, and absorb the music.

Posted by Jonny-Leather | July 20, 2007 12:22 PM

Could have been all those people singer out of tune that was annoying him as well...

I mean, it's not a Modest Mouse show.

A

Posted by Andrew | July 20, 2007 12:27 PM

Anyone know what time these free McCarren Pool shows actually get started? Also, it says 'no food, no lawn chairs, no bikes'? If I bring snacks, will they be confiscated?

Thanks for any input!

Posted by Emily | July 20, 2007 12:31 PM

i just texted this comment while watching band of horses

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 12:42 PM

Like the 10th time I've heard this band complain about sound issues, including when I saw them in Boston.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 1:19 PM

Hey, Matt @ 12:17p, thanks for calling me an idiot! You're awesome!

But I'd suggest that (a) inviting national exposure via a show where whiny twenty-somethings barge through your audience, trailed by cameras, probably isn't the best way to discourage "weekend warrior" cameraphone types (though I'm sure this was a decision dictated not by the band, but their PR firm or label (Swamp Pubes? Super Po? You know, the label that's got Band of Horses blasting out of every top-40 radio station, everywhere!)).

And (b) having a pro film crew plowing through a crowd of paying concertgoers with strap-on high-beams and whatnot can be more intrusive than the thousand points of Flickr folk.

That said, I'd back Bridwell 1000% if he just made it clear up front that the band didn't want to be photo'd/taped. Also, it would be cool if his music were even mildly engaging.

And for God's sake, if someone is obstructing your view with their camera, or using their flash, let them know. And if they don't respond, THEN get all passive-aggressive on the internet.

Posted by J | July 20, 2007 1:28 PM

good for Ben. i hate all this hand held documentation at live shows. the quality is never "good" or even "average". the sound is always poor too. what about memory kids? and not hard drive space!!! if you can remember how to charge a ticket online or get to the show in time, then you should probably focus on listening and cheering and dancing at the show to actually demonstrate what a good time is or how rather how much fun you thought the show was. it's called living it! hold up a lighter or a fist in approval of how proud you are to be there. the band will love you for it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 1:30 PM

Everyone and their dog is a photographer. It's so hard to find the ones with actual talent now because the kids that are equipped with any kind of camera and can take a photo call themselves a photographer. It's annoying, but it's probably not going to stop. I'm usually taking photos at concerts but for the majority of the time...with a photo pass and I don't glue my face to the camera. If I see something worthwhile of capturing, I take it. I can enjoy the show when I'm taking photos or not. Sometimes, though, all those flashes from the audience help make the picture you take interesting haha.

But yeah, if an artist asks you to quit it, it's probably in your best interest to stop. I don't see why you wouldn't, it's kind of embarrassing if you keep at it. This woman sounds like someone who gets offended way too easily, but Ben did come off a bit too hostile.

"If the concert is not up on flickr, then it never really happened."
...I like that hahaaha

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 1:34 PM

I don't think the band (or their publicists) considered national televison exposure a way to end to "weekend warrior" cameraphone users.

And while I hate to defend anything associated with that shit reality show, it appeared to me that the interns were off in the VIP area, upstairs perhaps, so that camera crews weren't plowing through crowds of concertgoers. But I realize that's only based on the footage that aired.

I'm flattered you think I'm awesome. I think your puns on "Sub Pop" were awesome, too.

Posted by Matt | July 20, 2007 1:39 PM

BOH are professionals, they should act like it. Renowned for subpar live shows, by blaming the "jocks" or "weekend warriors" in the crowd, they're only trying to make excuses for their own irrelevance and lack of anything resembling stage presence. The album is a good one, but sweet lord, get off your high horse ben.

Posted by m. | July 20, 2007 1:49 PM

i hope people realize how bad the new band of horses album will be. Without Mat in the band, they are nothing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 1:59 PM

Anonymous, I mean Todd P, you're just an outright prick, get a life idiot.

Posted by Todd | July 20, 2007 2:22 PM

People taking photos with an actual camera (meaning, not a cellphone) without a flash pose no problem to the artists on stage or the enjoyment of people around them.

Don't group all amateur concert photographers together, we're not all dicks.

Posted by Paul | July 20, 2007 4:24 PM

Band of Horses should be grateful that someone would actually take a video or a picture of their show. They are a horrible band.

That douche bag doesn't want his band on youtube, cuz it will expose them for the FRAUDS they are.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 4:30 PM

Wow, that Rosemary cunt was right up front filming the entire time! Instead of enjoying the show, she was watching it through a viewfinder. Sad and pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2007 4:56 PM

You people that rant against people and there cameras are hilarious! Like that one commenter who's all like "why do you have to text someone right now during the verse because your bored and can't wait until the next chorus" like someone is actually thinking those things at the time. Instead of thinking about where and when they're going to meet their friends. Texting at a concert isn't rude! I don't think it's rude at the movies either but that one is at least a little debatable.

You people are technophobes. Old fashioned, on the verge of extinction... etc. No one can prevent cameras at shows anymore. maybe high quality camera's that are huge but otherwise you simply don't have a choice. if you want to go to a show and simply enjoy it and remember it no one is twisting your arm. If other people want to enjoy a show by taking it's picture or taking videos why the hell do you care???

But why do these performers care anyway? It's not like they're not on stage in front of hundreds of people already. trying to prevent people from seeing a show they didn't pay for is not only futile but it pretty much makes you an asshole.

There wasn't a golden age of concerts before all this technology, that's just the way things were. Now people have more freedom. Not only that but people can see shows from the comfort of their computers without having to pay for it and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Keep ranting if you want but you're wasting your breath (energy typing) in more ways than one.

Posted by Smug Eric | July 20, 2007 5:02 PM

Honestly, your in a band, if you didn't expect to have cameras and the such at your shows then you shouldn't have gotten into the business in the first place, be grateful, many people would love to be in your position.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2007 12:36 AM

You can call me a technophobe or whatever, but the phrase "comfort of their computers" is fucking gross. And wierd.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2007 1:33 AM

when i hit the ripe old age of 30, a couple years back i decided to - oh wait, I have a joke - what did the three legged dog say when he walked into a bar in the old west? - anyway I decided to stop going to shows where you had to stand after experiencing silver jews at webster hall.

cat power at town hall was amazing. I was on the aisle and this prick (telling by his camera - a professsional prick) set up his photo outpost in my ear. we had words, his camera's health was in dire straights, I've been to riker's plenty of times, I'm always ready to go back- if you hear what Im saying and I know you do...snore.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2007 7:28 AM

the music is the distraction and this a deviation

Posted by one of them | July 21, 2007 9:42 AM

yes, please stop watching shows through the viewfinder on your camera.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2007 1:40 PM

he gave the finger three times? that's it? big deal.

Posted by sam | July 21, 2007 2:23 PM

while these camera people do irritate a bit, to flip off fans at your own show does suck. especially when you're nothing to write home about like band of horses. boo to both sides.

Posted by belchy | July 21, 2007 3:36 PM

band of horses are boring and suck dicks

Posted by joseph | July 21, 2007 4:41 PM

4:41 should know because he just loves a good bj from a dude.

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2007 5:27 PM

What time do headliners usually go on at these free pool parties?

Posted by Anonymous | July 21, 2007 5:40 PM

I am also not interested in the You Tube bitch fight, just wondering if some of the more jaded fucks on here can tell a Park Slope poseur such as moi when to actually show up for the McCarren Pool shows. I like all the bands playing, but when does the first band usually go on?

Posted by Anonymous | July 22, 2007 12:38 AM

Usually the headliner plays around 6 pm or a little bit later, so go backwards leaving some time in between.

Posted by Eduardo | July 22, 2007 1:31 AM

First McCarren band usually goes on around 3:45.

Posted by Mr. Facts | July 22, 2007 1:40 AM

Anyone know anything about what time these guys might go on tonight?

Posted by c | July 22, 2007 12:31 PM

Is it just me or is the RSVP for these things completely meaningless. I turned up yesterday and asked man on the front door where I went if I'd RSVP'd and he sent me round to the back door. Man on back door said that was for VIPs only and sent me back round to the front door where the queue was stupidly long.

If it's that badly organised for Band of Horses then imagine the chaos next weekend for TVotR. Shame really because otherwise the pool parties a whole lotta fun.

Posted by Alex | July 23, 2007 11:47 AM

"I don't mind it being first come first served but why pretend that it's anything different and tell us all to RSVP?"

It is solely to increase membership and pageviews for going.com. There is no other use.

Everyone should send an e-mail to going.com asking them to remove you from their database. Instructions are posted in the FAQ on their site.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 11:54 AM

I think I saw the same girl recording parts of the show again. Looking for attention?

Posted by Eduardo | July 26, 2007 3:06 AM

Posted by bedroom furniture | March 21, 2009 10:12 AM

Posted by Tamara | June 3, 2009 9:21 AM

enough with the pix and the u tube shit.

Posted by merchant accounts | January 29, 2010 4:29 AM

what if i brought it with me , lool

Posted by منتديات | September 24, 2010 8:22 AM

I'm going to show you how you can stop snoring at night. This particular problem is really a mystery to most people for some reason. Should you were to ask the average individual how to lose weight, they'd be able to give you a general concept of what needs to be done. Ask the average individual what might be performed about a snoring difficulty and they do not have the initial clue. No 1 actually knows what can be carried out and that's the reason that the issue drags on for most men and women. This isn't really anyway to live and it isn't fair to the individuals that need to listen to it. I'm going to show you the way to stop snoring at night.

Posted by Hannah Peake | December 19, 2010 10:44 PM