Posted in MP3 | music on July 27, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Bat for Lashes - Horse & I (MP3)

If they mean "Blitzen" the reindeer, then you could say that the UK's Bat for Lashes & Portland's Blitzen Trapper are both bands with animal names that start with "B", and like a bee, they both have lots of buzz, and that they both played high-profile, yet small venue shows in NYC this week. You could say that if you wanted.

Everyone suddenly has their eye on these two bands - like Thom Yorke and Sub Pop and the Mercury Prize nominating committee and Pitchfork for instance. And though I'm not really a fan of Blitzen Trapper's album, I am curious to know what people thought of their Mercury Lounge show, or any of their shows - like this one they recently played at Emo's in Austin:

Blitzen Trapper @ Emo's

And what about Bat For Lashes?

Bat for Lashes @ Knitting Factory, NYC - July 25, 2007 (CRED)
Bat for Lashes @ Knitting Factory

Dressed like an Athenian hipster, gold headband and all, Khan and her all-girl bandmates would even get noticed in Williamsburg. Of course, when she opens her mouth, that's when you really take notice. Possessed with a voice somewhere between Chan Marshall and Bjork, she's got the kind of pipes that demand attention. And her music, both the songwriting and instrumentation (weird accordion, autoharp, unconventional percussion), is just quirky enough to hold it, even when things veered towards Tori Amos / Lilith Fair territory -- which they did just about any time she was behind the piano, it drifted that way. [Sound Bites]
More Bat for Lashes tour dates HERE. More Blitzen Trapper & David Vandervelde dates HERE.

I just saw Blitzen Trapper at Great Scott in Boston. I only wished they could've headlined - every song held you because of how distinct they all are (I actually zoned out during Vandervelde - everything, besides Nothin No, kind of blurred together). Blitzen was fantastic; they acted as frenetic as the music on the album. Definitely not ashamed to have been one of the only one's really dancing.

Posted by Nick | July 27, 2007 1:06 PM

Both of these bands just performed live on PRI's excellent Fair Game on July 25 and July 26.

Posted by bumpershine | July 27, 2007 1:06 PM

i thought blitzen trapper was PAINFULLY bad live. just can NOT believe the hype these guys are getting. however, david vandervelde (who went on after blitzen at mercury lounge) is TRULY talented and great. I can't recommend everyone see him NOW! If anyone likes early 70s raw neil young, def. check out vandervelde. Kid can play guitar and write great rock songs.

Posted by blitzen=ok | July 27, 2007 1:09 PM

I enjoyed the Bat for Lashes show. Khan definitely possesses an otherworldly quality with her stage presence and voice (the illusion only broken when she speaks between songs). They played well, and they'll work out the freshmen kinks as they tour more. The only problem was that I couldn't stay for the entire show, so I'm looking forward to the next time they are in NYC.

Posted by sj | July 27, 2007 1:45 PM

Bat For Lashes is lovely. I am excited to see her gain more fans in the US. Their live show at Maxwells was intoxicating.

Posted by Shelvesofvinyl | July 27, 2007 1:51 PM

I thought they were fine at the Mercury. Good band, from a playing perspective, with, as my friend Steve pointed out, not very good songs. A few of them had a nice country rock vibe to them, a few others were early 80s power pop, and others were kind of 70s rock, but none were particularly memorable. Vandervlelde on the the other hand killed, as he always does.

Posted by Matt | July 27, 2007 1:54 PM

KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Capt. Kirk | July 27, 2007 2:12 PM

honestly whats with all the hype around bat for lashes. i mean do you guys REALLY think she's THAT good?? i just don't see it...

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2007 4:53 PM

look lower

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2007 11:04 PM

I shot the Maxwell's Bat For Lashes show:

Posted by joly | July 28, 2007 3:43 AM

Blitzen could not decide on a sound. David V. was solid as always but was upset with the crowd thinning out after Blitzen.

Posted by Matt | August 2, 2007 5:26 PM