Posted in music | tour dates | video on July 3, 2007

Here's another set of tour dates I've been meaning to post, though I mean I kind of like the retro sounds of David Vandervelde, but Blitzen Trapper I don't get at all. Anyone familiar with the Grateful Dead will find the music streaming on their MySpace instantly recognizable. I even tried to listen to the album a few times - it just doesn't do it for me. I can't say the same for Pitchfork though. Tickets are on sale for a show at Mercury Lounge on July 25th. Classic rock....

Blitzen Trapper & David Vandervelde - 2007 Tour Dates

^ with Jennifer Gentle
% with Smoosh, Aqueduct
* with Canada

Blitzen Trapper - Devil's a-go-go

Previously
* David Vandervelde stuff

I think they're 3 or so songs that have that dead influence but it's a lot more bearable. Me personally, I think its one of the better albums I've heard this year.

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 3:35 PM

david = the new indie rock 'it' boy?

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 3:36 PM

It's hard to be the new indie rock "it" boy without the Brooklyn Vegan seal of approval. I don't read BV's post as a particularly enthusiastic thumbs up.

Posted by Steve | July 3, 2007 3:55 PM

yeah, the blitzen trapper record is one of my favorites of the year. "wild mountain nation" has an "uncle john's band" feel to it for sure, but theres a lot more going on as well. just check out the video above - if the dead sounded like that you might all like the dead.

actually i do kinda like the dead.

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 4:00 PM

I am a fan of Blitzen Trapper (yes, I live in Portland) but I don't see the Grateful Dead comparison. Rock, yes, sort of classic, but there is nothing noodle-y or jam like about them --thankfully.

I saw them last week at their CD release party. They are great live (and there was not a hippie in sight).

Posted by Setya | July 3, 2007 4:10 PM

Posted by Setya | July 3, 2007 4:11 PM

but, i mean, he's really cute. mr. indie rock 2007?

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 4:17 PM

some of the songs, especially the one that pops up on myspace sound like the Dead.

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 4:18 PM

Blitzen Trapper is a band that could be good but instead chooses to be annoying. Just the kind of thing that the Pitchfork types cream their collective shorts over. "It almost sounds like music that people would dance to, but not so much that you would have to actually uncross your arms and wipe the shit-eating smirk off your face! Perfect!"

Posted by JD | July 3, 2007 4:46 PM

How can you not like Blitzen Trapper? Pitchfork demands you too! It's like Wilco: if Pitchfork didn't tell people to listen to them, no one will. Pitchfork likes Wilco, so all the hipsters became convinced that Wilco is the best band ever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 5:10 PM

I like both wilco and blitzen trapper, and I don't like the fools at pitchfork. I do like bv though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 5:21 PM

david vandervelde makes me happy.

Posted by meredith | July 3, 2007 9:35 PM

I just heard that album yesterday and don't feel like listening to that again. Dead or not.

Posted by Eduardo | July 3, 2007 10:57 PM

Why must everyone rip on the Dead? American Beauty and Workingmans Dead say you need to get your heads out of your asses, because if those albums didn't come around, all of your favorites might not sound as great as they do...

Posted by Zach | July 4, 2007 2:36 PM

Posted by Zach | July 4, 2007 2:37 PM

Posted by Zach | July 4, 2007 2:37 PM

Posted by Zach | July 4, 2007 2:37 PM

david vandervelde has been atrocious live both times i've seen him. it's just boring and lethargic, and sounds nowhere near as awesome as the record. if one is going to present the music differently live, at least do it better.

Posted by M | July 9, 2007 10:15 AM