Posted in music on July 9, 2007

Fujiya & Miyagi in NYC - July 6, 2007 (CRED)
Fujiya & Miyagi @ South Street Seaport

I meant to go this show, but last-minute decided to run to Coney Island. How were Fujiya & Miyagi at the Seaport?

As subdued yet smooth as the album. They played the b side Reeboks in Heaven (alright) and they seemed to be more into it during the encore jam.

Black Moth Super Rainbow were excellent as well. Reproduced the songs I'm familiar with exactly--if that is commendable in a live performance. The audience didn't seem to be into them though.

Posted by wallstreet | July 9, 2007 1:06 AM

Fujiya and Miyagi were pretty fun. I had a better time at FUN at Studio B afterwards though. Great night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 2:29 AM

they put on a very nice show. the crowd up front was going absolutely wild for them, which you don't often see at such a mellow show.

Posted by sara | July 9, 2007 8:29 AM

are you guys serious? that show was hella boring...i left after 4 songs.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 8:43 AM

Yeah for reals, I agree with the previous poster. That show sucked.

Black Moth whatever was nearly the worst "performance" I've ever seen. If the point is for them to "reproduce the songs I'm familiar with" I can go download them myself. They SAT on the g-d stage! So for anybody outside of the first 3 rows, we're basically looking at an empty stage listening to music. That's what we are supposed to do during intermissions, not during a performance.

I had high hopes for Fujiya & Miyagi, but they were amazingly dull.

Posted by TD | July 9, 2007 8:52 AM

i thought the show was fine - mellow yes, but what else would you expect from a relatively mellow band? the crowd, however, SUCKED. maybe i have a low threshold of tolerance for things, but a lot of people were drunk and behaving badly, or just behaving badly. one group of people rushed up nearer to the front, pushing people out of their way and annoying everyone around them who had arrived early to get spots. then said group talked for the entire show. lots of groups of people just standing around talking. i know it's a free show, but if you just want to drink and talk to your friends, go to a bar, please. and the asshole flailing with cigarette in hand burning peoples' arms? don't get me started.

Posted by grouchy grump | July 9, 2007 9:02 AM

are you guys serious? that show was hella boring...i left after 4 songs.

I must have followed you out because I left at that exact point as well..those guys were BORING..The first band was even worse..just terrible!

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 9:10 AM

the show was crap. i still love the album though

Posted by elsweiser | July 9, 2007 9:13 AM

We have a name for their music: Otisrock.

Posted by Philabuster | July 9, 2007 9:27 AM

I thought the show was pretty ok. It was a bit anticlimactic. I wish that the singer would stop whispering all the vocals. Also whatever happened to between song banter. Between that show and Built to Spill/Cat Power Saturday, I'm feeling like it's a dying art form.

Posted by Tim Duffy | July 9, 2007 9:33 AM

The show was pretty good. I didn't care for Black Moth...every now and then I thought I might like a song at the start, but by the end it would just sound like noise.

Fujiya & Miyagi put on a solid show. They sound just as mellow as the album for the most part, but their more upbeat songs really come to life when they play them live. I think it took a little bit for the crowd to get into them because they started off with a few of their more mellow songs, but by the end they had them. But...I have to say the crowd at their Mercury Lounge show a few months ago seemed way more into it (danced more).

Posted by showtrotta | July 9, 2007 9:37 AM

That's a band in dire need of a live drummer.

Posted by Chris | July 9, 2007 9:50 AM

i thought the show was good. they definitely picked it up towards the end. can't complain about a free show!

Posted by Becky | July 9, 2007 9:51 AM

Well, just like Tim above, I was at both Fujiya and Miyagi and the BTS/Cat Power shows and loved them both.

Built to Spill (while Doug didn't do a lot of banter) were amazing. Truly a "greatest hits" set. We got both "In the Morning" AND "Nowhere Nothing Fuckup". I was impressed.

Cat Power was cool too. I dug the new band/sound. Mostly covers and a couple songs off of "The Greatest" ("could we" and "willie"). The only other song I noticed from one of her records was "Naked If I want to"... which is a cover. Oh, and she ended with a rockin' version "Satisfaction".

Fujiya were great if you dig their sound and wanted to get your groove on for 50 minutes. I, personally, had a lot of fun.

Posted by Derek | July 9, 2007 9:54 AM

The sound setup was a bit inadequate unless you were up close, and to second someone's opinion from above, I was shocked that they didn't have a drummer. It would have helped so much.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 10:01 AM

black moth super rainbow was great, i loved it.

fujiya and miyagi, while i like their videos, that live show to me felt like an e train riding bums version of hot chip. amazingly bland and boring. it was probably the first show all year that i seriously contemplated leaving before time. singer just looked like he didnt want to be there. people that show up were pretty annoying as well but thats a given, free show so all sorts of people show up just to get their picture taken and to talk on their cellphones to their friend. who are 10 feet away.

Posted by nyc noise fan | July 9, 2007 10:05 AM

forgot to add if youre referring to black moth, normally they do have a drummer. the guy said from the stage that she was missing and if she was anywhere near could she please come to the stage. she never showed up. so i dont know if they were pulling our leg or what, or what happened to her. maybe someone else knows better.

Posted by nyc noise fan | July 9, 2007 10:08 AM

black moth were terrible. soooo lazy. get up off the ground so people can see you! even the bassist sat on his amp halfway through the set.

those people are LAME!

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 10:12 AM

Fujiya & Miyagi are naturally so deadpan (and the started off extra-mellow), it took a while for the crowd to really pay attention, but I thought by the last five or so songs the dance party kicked in, at least where I was standing.

My post:

And, yes, Black Moth Rainbow or whatever were ridiculous. Really? Why bother.

Posted by Scoboco | July 9, 2007 10:14 AM

The was Ok when Black Moth were palying, really annoying that half of them were ont he floor and could not be seen.

F & M were pretty good, a bit mellow but I thought they were great. I went mostly for the keyboards! And agree withy whoever said this band desperately needs a drummer.

Mixed feelings about the crowd as well..I was upfront with the group that was dancing and going crazy.

Posted by ShinobiShaw | July 9, 2007 11:44 AM

I cannot believe how lame and entitled NYC hipsters are these days. Bitching about being bored at a free show? FU. At least there are dozens of free shows happening in the city. Quit bitching.

The only thing these negative commenters deserve is a fist in the face.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 1:20 PM

considering how much i love their album, i was so disappointed to see fujiya's d.o.a. performance. i pictured some really eccentric performers. but yeah it was a free show. now i know to never see them live again

Posted by belchy | July 9, 2007 5:03 PM

I have never thought of these guys as mellow. I fucking danced, and everyone around me danced, and everyone was super friendly, giving, and cool. I'll agree the night started slowly, but I think that a lot of people don't know their music and aren't down for dancing off the bat. I think anyone who stayed the entire time was sold.

Posted by Jess Guy | July 9, 2007 6:56 PM

AND i loved them when they opened for Peter, Bjorn and John.

Posted by Jess Guy | July 9, 2007 6:57 PM

report from f&m show at jonhnny brenda's - philly sat nite: only copious amounts of flying fish - $3 / 12 ozs - saved the eve. really monotonous and seemingly ran out of material. funny in a sad way, or sad in a funnny way - not sure what. nevertheless i danced and feigned enthusiasm / embraced our brit cousins as all red blooded americans should. believe me - you can skip 'm next tour. loved the record too, conversation in getaway car afterwards revealed co-revelers had similar sentiments. short set too. on the other hands, pop levi & the woman - now that guy rocks balls out.

Posted by moe | July 9, 2007 7:11 PM

Posted by moe | July 9, 2007 7:11 PM

Posted by moe | July 9, 2007 7:11 PM

As much as I love standing outside, listening to free music and drinking beer, this show was a definite yawner. If you missed it, you could play the album on your iPod while standing outside with a beer, and you'd get the same effect.

Posted by abrooklynlife | July 9, 2007 7:34 PM

This show was such a waste of time. These free shows do not have enough amplifier power to rub two sticks together and keep the crowd interested. Easily one of the worst shows I've ever been to.

Posted by Finchmeister | July 9, 2007 7:41 PM

Free shows are not all that bad, the free show at Highline with Oneida was great.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 9:13 PM

Hey Finchmeister...news flash, don't go to the FREE frickin' shows if you don't like the sound. Why post the same negative comments on various music blogs --- hope you stay away from now on...

Posted by Kai | July 10, 2007 2:41 PM