Posted in hiphop | music on July 23, 2007

Irv Gotti, Ja Rule, Lil' Wayne & Kanye West @ Beacon Theatre July 22, 07 (CRED)
Lil Wayne & Ja RuleLil Wayne & Kanye West

Last night (Sunday, July 22) was the Lil' Wayne show at Beacon Theatre in NYC - his first real NYC show, and many of his friends were in attendance. Juelz Santana, Kanye West, Irv Gotti, and Ja Rule all got up on stage with him. More photos @ ryandombal's Flickr. News of how both Lil Wayne AND Ja Rule were arrested after the show, @ Gothamist.

Jesus, when are these guys going to learn? I mean, pick one or the other...either carry a gun on you OR smoke weed out on the streets of Manhattan. What a f'ing retard.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | July 23, 2007 4:25 PM

these guys?

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 4:42 PM

black people...duh...

blipsters

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 4:51 PM

what's crazy to me is how wrong the news outlets have gotten this story. the ap says that lil wayne is from miami. not only should the ap have a writer on staff that knows that, but it take about 5 seconds to check. gothamist is still saying its unclear if ja rule performed at the show. gothamist doesn't know anyone that went to this show? please, that's weak. it's not that hard to get this story right at all.

Posted by newoohleans | July 23, 2007 4:56 PM

"These Guys" = Rappers. Rappers who have been charged with illegally carrying firearms (Jadakiss, Fabulous, Youngbloodz and so many others). And yes, most of them are black, but that's not the point. I'm the furthest thing from a racist, so be easy with that.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | July 23, 2007 5:12 PM

It's almost as if some rappers are so caught up in the Rap Culture of violence and drugs that they WANT to get caught carrying a gun because it increases their credibility, and thus popularity and sales. Getting caught with a gun is almost like a business decision, similar to the rapper in Sopranos who gets Bobby to shoot him (random, I know).

And while it sounds crazy, it's hard to imagine that some of these guys are truly stupid enough to not realize how high-profile they are, and that if they carry a gun that they will probably get caught with it at some point. Instead, I think they just don't care. If they get caught, it increases their sales.

The flipside of that argument, which I acknowledge -- and am sympathetic to -- is that many artists and athletes who were once poor (not necessarily "black," so we don't have to go there) have a hard time leaving that life behind once they hit it big. The only difference is that in sports, it can ruin your career (see: Michael Vick), whereas in rap/hip-hop it can actually advance your career. Shit's f'ed up, but it is what it is.

Posted by Drugs Delaney | July 23, 2007 5:26 PM

give me a fucking break. is their an indie rock police like there's a hip-hop police? pigs don't run tabs on win butler or james murphy

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 5:32 PM

True, but Win Butler and James Murphy probably don't carry guns on them either.

Posted by anonymous | July 23, 2007 5:43 PM

The "pigs" are probably "running a tab" on John Popper after HIS arrest.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 5:57 PM

not win butler, he's got that trust fund oil guap, james murphy's definitely packing tho

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 5:57 PM

black people = violence + drugs = police presence.

It's as simple as that.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 7:42 PM

black people = violence + drugs

The most ignorant thing I have heard all day. Even more ignorant than carrying a weapon in NYC.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 9:37 PM

"black people = violence + drugs = police presence. It's as simple as that." ???!!!???

Congrats Anon 7:42. I've been reading this blog for a long time and while I've read some stupid comments on BV, none have ever driven me to post a comment myself. As an African American I'm truly offended by your irresponsible comment. I did not know that BV attracted such ignorance.

Posted by Offended | July 23, 2007 10:22 PM

im not going to comment on what was said above, but, is it that hard so smoke insidee the bus, i mean comon at least you can hotbox it.

Posted by burt baccarat | July 24, 2007 12:16 AM

I just found out that I'm an octoroon, Offended - can I join the club and feign indignance, too?

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | July 24, 2007 2:07 AM

what about john popper? he had some guns...

Posted by nyc noise fan | July 24, 2007 8:41 AM

No Crosseyed Sniper...but you can certainly f*ck off!

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2007 8:46 AM

Lil Wayne is my baby, Sometimes you have to have your gat. Know one elese is gonna have your back.

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:52 AM

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:52 AM

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:52 AM

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:52 AM

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:52 AM

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:52 AM

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:52 AM

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:54 AM

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:55 AM

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:55 AM

Posted by Tonya From S.C. | July 24, 2007 8:55 AM

may i suggest:

"black people + violence + drugs = police presence" ?

at least this way, black people and white people are interchangable. i mean really... doesn't anybody watch COPS?

Posted by yo | July 24, 2007 9:41 AM

wow, you dumb indie kids will really chomp any bait i throw out there, won't you? maybe you should be using your powermacs for the reason mommy and daddy bought them for you, to do schoolwork, rather than get suckered into trolling blogbait all day.

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2007 10:44 AM

Hey know-it-all/outraged BV commenter #4 who claims everyone got it wrong: Lil Wayne has lived in Miami for a while now, so he might have a FL driver's license/motorcycle license for the purposes of cruising Ocean Drive in his chromed-out Yamahas. If he got popped and shows his Florida ID, then boom, according to the police and for all intents and purposes, he is of Miami.

Posted by joey | July 24, 2007 11:12 AM

If lil Wayne was REALLY legit, REALLY street, REALLY thugged out, REALLY for real then he should have used the gun to kill someone outside the club.
Move them units, mayne!

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2007 1:08 PM

may i suggest:

"black people + violence + drugs = police presence" ?

Posted by yo | July 24, 2007 9:41 AM

Well, after the fact, yeah, the police may well show up. But I think the complaint of the following commenter:

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 5:32 PM

is, some police departments have set up special units to monitor rappers and hip-hoppers BEFORE the fact (i.e., before the police have received any tips about or found any evidence of a crime).

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2007 1:24 PM

The "pigs" are probably "running a tab" on John Popper after HIS arrest.

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2007 5:57 PM

Are the quotation marks really necessary? It's like, how can I convey through punctuation that I'm an asshole not only in the real world but also on the internet.

Squeezer.

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2007 5:41 PM

"Ok" "then" "you're" "a" "real" "douchebag!"

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2007 6:26 PM

he WAS inside the bus, not outside.
the cops were obviously following weezy and all the other rappers after the show. they "smelled" weed from the bus. gimme a break. they were going to search these guys because the nypd does have a hip hop task force and wayne had called them out at the start of the show.
for a myraid of reasons, none of which have to do with pigmentation (although some having to do with race construction in america), most hip hop tour buses are going to have not only marijuana (like arcade fire's and lcd's buses for sure), but also guns.

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2007 7:05 PM

"Ok" "then" "you're" "a" "real" "douchebag!"

Posted by Anonymous | July 24, 2007 8:49 PM

yo man, lil wayne is my homie, and i dont give a shit that he got caught, and you guys that r talkin up there r pretty racised, and how bout u shut the fuck up bitches

Posted by Joshua | July 28, 2007 12:58 AM

Posted by Joshua | July 28, 2007 12:58 AM

Way to fake post a faux ignorant comment "Joshua." Anything to add more fuel to the fire huh...

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2007 1:29 AM

black people = violence + drugs = police presence.

white people = self-righteous arrogance stemming from reaping the benefits or hundreds of years of oppression. Don't gimme the old "that ain't me though", cause it is you.

You and all your white friends...

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2007 10:29 AM

It's ok for white people to snort crack and run people over but it's not ok for black people to smoke weed and carry a gun for protection. (Talking about celeberties) If you are going to be judgemental be judgemental of all races and not just one. Look at some of the white stars. Who is dieing more from drug overdoses? Whites or blacks? HINT! HINT! WHITES!

Posted by Blackberri1922 | September 17, 2008 12:03 AM