Posted in dance | music on July 9, 2007

Simian Mobile Disco @ Pure, Philadelphia, PA - 7/6/7(CRED)
Simian Mobile Disco @ Pure

After a long day of not seeing the Boredoms, I needed to rest up for the pool the next day. That means I never made it Studio B to see Simian Mobile Disco. How was their "live" show?

Simian Mobile Disco @ Studio B, Brooklyn, NY - 7/7/7 (CRED)
Simian Mobile Disco @ Fixed

Knobs were constantly being twiddled, filters tweaked and cords shoved into patch bays as Jameses Ford and Shaw circled around a large pile of equipment in the middle of Studio B's stage. I'm not exactly sure what they were doing up there, or how they could see anything with those very cool light towers flashing frenetically. Sunglasses help in such cases. [Sound Bites]
Previously
* SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO - videos & 2007 LIVE Tour Dates

show was amazing...i danced my face off for at least 4 hrs. i think the album drops on 7/24...chk it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 3:47 PM

Outta Control Good! I think it could be classified as a Brooklyn Bacchanal; Studio B was jam-packed with people going nutz. JDH and Dave P rocked it hard getting the crowd pumped before Simian Mobile Disco came on complete with their eye-popping light show and their bass bumpin riff rockin disco jamming tunes! Not a dry soul in the house; it was a massive sweaty dirty disco dance heaven.

Posted by Rachel | July 9, 2007 4:20 PM

Yep, had a blast! Never heard SMD before but they were great! The lights definitely made up for the fact that you were basically just watching two guys fussing over their gear.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 4:20 PM

brilliant...saw them dj a great set a few months back, but their live show is on another level. cool lights too.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 4:22 PM

Both the resident DJs and SMD were off the hook at Studio B! Everyone in attendance had a great energy and we all danced like crazy people until the wee hours of the morning. Definitely a great show!

Posted by Jennifer | July 9, 2007 4:45 PM

Great show! One of the best I've seen at Studio B, maybe even on level with LCD Soundsystem. They played a 15min version of hustler and finished off the night with an incredibly I Believe that had everyone reaching for the nearest girl they could find.

Posted by Way | July 9, 2007 6:07 PM

Well Brooklyn Vegan, I'm disapointed. I managed to make it to Boredoms, hit the pool Sunday, and the aftershow Sunday night, which, by the way, was the closest I have come to death by audio, AND go to studio B Saturday night, until well, really, really late. I was hoping you could fill me in on the little details of the show that I was too drunk and stoned to pick up on. All I know is I danced and danced and danced, and drank free colt 45 - and made out a little bit. So it was very good.

Was this not the best music weekend ever? I'm just sorry I chose to eat after Fujiya and Miyagi instead of going to Chromeo and Floss at the b. Was anyone there? I just keep missing Flosstradomus, it's rediculous.

Posted by Jess Guy | July 9, 2007 6:25 PM

Posted by Jess Guy | July 9, 2007 6:26 PM

i was drenched by the time i walked out. had to give james ford a huge thankyou kiss after for their awesome closing of I Believe. wish i didn't have to look at one of their backs the whole time and was disappointed with how much they dragged down hustler. but great show and yeah- the lights were awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2007 10:52 PM

posting so there's a non-street teamer in this thread

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2007 8:24 AM

Well, non-street-teamer, did you see the show? How was it? I'm Anon 4:20 and I ain't on anyone's team but my own. I can't speak for the rest of the comments, but it looked to me like everyone at the show was having a lot of fun so it would make sense to see that reflected here.

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2007 10:25 AM

um, i had a great time, but i like justice better?

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2007 11:43 AM

I like ice cream better. It's so hot out!

Posted by Anonymous | July 10, 2007 12:02 PM

Street-teamers? What an obnoxious, pointless, juvenile comment. Half the people who comment on this site never have anything intelligent to say about any of the show BV posts about. Get over yourselves.

Can't people just have a good time at a show?

Posted by Jennifer | July 10, 2007 12:19 PM

Street-teamers? What an obnoxious, pointless, juvenile comment. Half the people who comment on this site never have anything intelligent to say about any of the shows BV posts about. Get over yourselves.

Can't people just have a good time at a show?

Posted by Jennifer | July 10, 2007 12:19 PM

I had a touch of sunburn after SMD ended and those lights were cut.

Posted by Daniel | July 10, 2007 3:14 PM

Simian was amazing no doubt, but i have to admit the chromeo show was even tighter. missed them at hiro but saw them in sonar in baltimore on sunday - check footage here www.butterteam.com - didn't even think I was going until last minute and it blew out SMD. those cats are silky

Posted by butter team | July 10, 2007 4:41 PM

I'm amazed what people will settle for and call a "show" nowadays. I didn't hit SMD, but I was at Chromeo. They write amazing, really fun tunes. And the place was packed with everybody dancing.

But never once did I feel I was at a "show" like I did for LCD or !!!

Singing with a vocoder, marginal percussion, and an occasional guitar riff does not a show make. I'd rather just hear a DJ spin records than watch people pretend to "play live".

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 12:44 PM