Posted in To Do | music | tour dates on July 3, 2007

There's a $5.00 show on 10th St. in NYC tonight (July 3, 2007) to benefit the St. Marks Church. "Performances by The Virgins, Car Clutch, Lissy Trullie, Kria Brekkan, Effi Briest, Mod Rocket, Young Lords, and Patrick Cleandenim and the Image". More info HERE. Who do you recommend seeing on this bill? The Virgins are also playing a $10.00 show at Mercury Lounge on July 31st.

Lissy Trullie and the Fibs are fantastic. She may just be going solo tonight since her band isn't listed but either way I fully recommend catching her. She's a hidden NYC treasure right now.

Posted by will | July 3, 2007 11:51 AM

the virgins are top of the pops.

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 1:26 PM

Wow, I hope this doesn't mean St. Mark's Church is in danger of becoming a Chase bank, Urban Outfitters or a Dunkin Donuts.

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 1:26 PM

well, frankly they've been doing events at that church for a while now. just wish it wasn't with horrible bands like The Virgins. tonight they will instantly become the most suckingest coporatey shit on second avenue. sorry. it's true.

Posted by EF Matt | July 3, 2007 1:37 PM

Nah, they're just raising money to do some restoration work. Thankfully.

Posted by will | July 3, 2007 1:39 PM

oops. got so worked up there i misspelled one of my fake words. here: corporatey. i'll use it in a sentence. "The Virgins are a human metaphor (in the form of a rock band defining what has happened to rock music) that describes how corporatey Second Avenue has become over the years."

Posted by EF Matt | July 3, 2007 1:44 PM

Patrick Cleandenim - His Baby Comes Home album is out in the U.S in a couple of weeks on Ba Da Bing (Beirut etc).

Posted by Alun Jones | July 3, 2007 2:02 PM

go see car clutch, its brendan fowler and ethan swan. its good stuff

Posted by edan | July 3, 2007 2:34 PM

go see car clutch, its brendan fowler and ethan swan. its good stuff

Posted by edan | July 3, 2007 2:35 PM

EFFI BRIEST! the song on their myspace page is a fucking JAM! www.myspace.com/effibriest

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 3:57 PM

I dont know about this band Effi Briest but the Fassbinder film they take their name from is so fucking good. Id see them just for that alone

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 4:07 PM

young lords are amazing!
modrocket's a lot of fun too!

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2007 9:43 PM

oh cry it up you fucking loosers, "second ave was sooooooo much cooler when i was at pratt or new school or whatever mediocre art school I went to" (thats you)

You make me sick, what insight could you possibly have in your 5-15 years of living in new york?

YOU and only you are the reason second ave is what it is today.

What the fuck did you do to "keep it real?"

It s your money spent at the trendy boutiques.

you pay those astronomical rents.

You go to starbucks (so do i, free coffee)

You go to the st marks japanese resturaunts.

You go to lit or cheap shots or that stupid hot dog place.

IT S ALL YOUR FAULT!

2nd Ave changed because YOU wanted it to CATER to YOU!!

how many time s did you eat at 2nd ave deli, twice?

the banks and corporate stores came because no one ate at the resturants or went to the shoe shine places or tailors etc.

and now you re complaining that a bunch of new york bands, many who are new york natives (more than can be said for you) are playing at st marks church?

Thats a fucking new york art tradition!!! I mean what the fuck do you know about st marks church? ...pretentious nay-sayers.

Ever heard of patti smith, andy warhol, jim carrol? they all preformed there, and with no intentions to make it a citi bank.

I ve lived in this neighborhood my whole life and I don t complain about change and development because i m not delusional, and I don t romanticize poverty.

All those kids that made you feel like shit in high school must have been completely right. You are pathetic geeks. know nothing, and too vocal.

Also, brooklyn vegan? that should really be an oxymoron. Just a joke, I like the website.

Posted by Captain Rhetorical | January 28, 2009 4:09 PM

hey cap'n! hope that felt good! BV, paving the way in new anonymous public therapy!

Posted by sloweducation | January 28, 2009 4:20 PM

Yo will; the virgins got me off crack motherfucker! they went to my dealer's house in the south bronks and fucked his ass up! They are NYC for the people motherfucker! You're dead!

Posted by slippy jams | January 30, 2009 9:53 PM