Posted in music | video on July 11, 2007

Where were you in 1983?...

Anyway, Vigilante, which I guess is a rip-off of Death Wish (but I've never seen Death Wish -- it's just what I hear) takes place outside of Manhattan in what appears to be all sorts of neighborhoods (did I spot Red Hook at one point?). One of such neighborhoods is in Williamsburg (or Greenpoint -- I've lived here for 4 years and I still don't know the official boundaries) during this chase scene through McCarren Park Pool. Back then, it was abandoned and dry and now it's a concert venue. [fourfour]
(thx max)

video is surprisingly crisp!

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 8:49 AM

was the guy in the wheelchair albert hammond?

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 8:56 AM

besides the fact that there are no blacks in williamsburg anymore, everything else is surprisingly the same...the clothes, the irony, the crap soundtrack...

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 9:22 AM

that movie is awesome, by the way. one of robert forster's best.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 10:00 AM

Save some for me, Birk

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 10:11 AM

in 1983, i was rockin' out with my 7 or 8 michael jackson pins/buttons safely secured to every shirt i wore.

Posted by Steve-O | July 11, 2007 10:26 AM

In '83 I was chillin at the Fun House in my b-boy gear and dancing to "Confusion".

Posted by drewo | July 11, 2007 10:47 AM

Death Wish is absolutely required viewing, especially if you live in New York City. Awesome movie in so many ways. Bronson at his best. Get to it man!

Posted by will | July 11, 2007 10:53 AM

i love Parkour and graffiti

Posted by Adam | July 11, 2007 11:17 AM

any info on the track in the bkgrnd? jay chattaway (from ST:TNG, etc) did some of the score, but i'd love to hear that tune when i'm on the dance floor. ill stuff.

Posted by drew | July 11, 2007 12:18 PM

clearly jellynyc didn't produce this video

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 1:17 PM

in 1983 I was a sperm.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 1:19 PM

In 1983, my mom was 15.

Posted by Daniil | July 11, 2007 1:26 PM

i was living on south 4th and bedford with my brother rob. after the 90's williamsburg was over. the hipsters re-created the suburban landscapes of their youth, or fantasies of city life i guess. but it doesn't feel like NYC any more. hopefully they will all leave one day--perhaps to another planet. bye!

Posted by g3msp4 | July 11, 2007 2:13 PM

word g3msp4.
in 1983, my brother was born in brooklyn hospital and he lived with my mom on south 2nd street btw Bedford and Berry.
i was born at the end of 1985 and by then we had moved to Grand Street between Bedford and Driggs, right across the street from the Pentecostal church.
williamsburg is dead now like you said and the people that live there now missed when it didn't seem like manhattan.
although there is no doubt that i like it was made into a safer and interesting and artful environment, especially for me growing up in my teens it was a great town to live in, but it's been taken too far.
north 7th street is just ridiculous now with all those billboards and an actual digital clock.
so many long time residents have been expelled from their homes because the increases in rent.
i remember when the mccarren park pool was a dangerous place to go to, late at night especially, surrounded with barbed wires, but we used to sneak in and tag up on the pool walls. and there were all these bums lying around.
it's great now that it's a place where Sonic Youth can play Daydream Nation is full, but long story short, for all you newcomers to williamsburg, before you even knew it was a town that even existed, it has died and you made it into something else, kicking the real residents out and setting up shop (literally) all the along the streets.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 3:12 PM

the best part is that nobody pulls out a gun - just some stupid insults, fence-shaking and an old-fashioned beat-down.

Posted by janelle | July 11, 2007 3:36 PM

I am also a native, but from Queens. In '83, my friends and I used to go inside the abandoned pool at the southern tip of Flusing Meadow Park. We tried to clean it up in order to skate it, but there was too much junk. It's gone now.

I agree that this city has gone to shit in the '90s: too many hipsters and too many ibankers. It is just a shell of the great city this used to be. Nevertheless, NYC is still better than any other city in America, so it's tough to move, despite all the hipster scum moving to Williamsburg.

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 3:49 PM

In 1983, I was emerging from my mother's uterus. I was still covered in blood and placenta when I began to hatch my evil plot to one day become an i-banker and buy a 1BR for $1mil in the Burg.

Posted by IA | July 11, 2007 4:32 PM

I was there...in 1983 in the McCarren Park Pool.
I was chasing perps around with much patience. "Don't run. You'll never get away."
I could catch anyone.
But, now I'm...

Posted by Anonymous | July 11, 2007 6:05 PM

in 1983 i was in Manhattan Beach, CA as a teeny tiny toddler...

Posted by Dani DeLuna | July 12, 2007 1:47 PM

Rudy Ray Moore just shat his pantaloons!

Posted by Hammy Sandwicher | July 14, 2007 10:51 PM

i am a hipster, i like those concerts in the pool now,
in 1983, i cant remember what i was doing (reading Spidey comics?) hehehe, xo c

Posted by C. Depp | July 16, 2007 6:32 PM

i was born and live in... wait for it... park slope. :)

Posted by melissa | July 26, 2007 2:58 PM

Throughout New York's long (and amazing) history, many neighborhoods have come and gone. demographics are constantly shifting, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. bed stuy used to be a middle class German immigrant community. little italy used to have italians. It seems the folks on this board who grew up in bill have a normal case of childhood nostalgia, but thats normal and understandable. doesnt everyone? pinning for the days when it was a gritty rough and tumble hood is easy when, like some people mentioned here, bums and crackheads arent roaming around and gunshots ringing out. retrospection makes it alot cooler than it probably actually was, though one can move to crown heights and still enjoy the thrills of living in this atmosphere, i assure you. bill in the 90s was amazing, truly amazing, but what hipsters (who I have no particular affinity for) have created is equally amazing - a homogeneous society where everyone dresses, talks, and acts the same, all in the name of diversity - interesting. while this opens them to attack, hipsters are making bill a focal point of creative expression, i think thats a good thing. certainly means that bill is not dead but alive and thriving.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2007 3:12 PM

yeah, new york sucks! all the hipsters and the high rent and the corporations! this city has absolutely nothing to offer, certainly not like it did "back in the day".

it was sooo much better than...and it sucks now.

i don't know why anyone lives here anymore. did i mention that the hipsters and rent and corporations are ruining EVERYTHING. i mean EVERYTHING. new york sucks, especially the hipsters, increased rent and corporations.

i think i am going to move out of the city right now. can't stand it anymore. why can't everything just stay the same as it was...when it was cool and not so sucky...like it is now?

i mean there is NOTHING better about the city today, compared to how it used to be, so what is the point? its' all downhill, there is no way that anything going on now or in the future will be as good as it used to be...especially with all the hipsters, increased rent and corporations around.

the only joy in my life is posting to BV about how much life today in the city is crap, compared to how things used to be. that and cutting down any other post that in any way insinuates the writer is or supports hipsters, corporations or increased rents.

Posted by debbie downer | July 26, 2007 4:02 PM

Debbie Downer... I love you!

Posted by Master Pink | July 26, 2007 6:03 PM

i'm glad everyone on this board who ever lived in williamsburg is crying that the hipsters came and took it over because if you're so self-righteous that you think that YOU define williamsburg, or whatever YOU think williamsburg is supposed to be because that's how it WAS during an era you're idealizing, you deserve to live in a place you hate.

places change and the people in them change, and it makes me feel good that you're caused pain by the natural process of a neighborhood changing. if you're not into that, move to the australian outback and live with indigenous people who have been living the way they do for hundreds of years.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2007 9:24 PM

actually there neighborhood has changed too...

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2007 11:40 AM

I found this searching for info on the movie at the pool tonight (Repo Man), and I must say, this is freaking hilariously awesome.

About two years ago, before the Agora folks had announced their dance performance at the Pool, my friend and I snuck in there in the dead of night. It was a mystical, dreamy, romantic experience. I can't express how funny and amazing it is that this video clip has a shot kind of like that--when he drops over the wall and sees this giant shallow abandoned pool. It's a monument of texture, a testament to urban decay. And I'm happy that the new uses of the pool haven't involved rehabilitating or redesigning the actual structure.

Posted by virgil_disgr4ce | July 31, 2007 12:08 PM

hey yuppie and hipster chicks give out with a few pbr beers. best thing ever happen to williamsburg in my opinion.

much love,
another dominican from the neighborhood

Posted by Yuppies Hipsters digger | July 27, 2008 3:06 PM

yeah... a couple PBRs and some rice and beans- those chicks are all over you!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2008 7:15 PM

Has anybody been to this venue? I've got tickets to Wilco on Wednesday and have never been to the venue before.

So, I'd appreciate any general comments/tips. Also, the tix say "Doors 5pm." Do I need to get there at 5? And what time does the band actually go on?

Thanks!

Posted by testking 70-432 | January 12, 2010 6:30 AM

Thank you, it's very inspiring information about this good topic it might be very obliging for students. Recently i needed resume. To my greatest surprise, resume was desirable the price I paid for it.

Posted by DEIDREHuff25 | February 16, 2012 3:50 AM