Posted in music | pictures on July 25, 2007

White Stripes @ MSG (CRED)
White Stripes @ MSG

Grinderman @ ATP (CRED) (couldn't find one from MSG)
Grinderman @ ATP

Porter Wagoner @ MSG (CRED)
Porter Wagoner @ MSG

It was a fun show start to finish with the White Stripes playing an almost two hour headlining set to the 20,000-or-so in attendance at Madison Square Garden last night (July 24, 2007). Porter's set was short, but sweet - he really seemed to be enjoying himself. Grinderman's (first U.S.) set seemed a little long for an opener, but it was high-energy, and it was great to see Nick Cave. White Stripes proved they could pull it off to an enthusiastic arena filled with people of all ages, and from all walks of life - rowdy "bros" included. The stage show was modest - lots of red (obviously), a disco ball, and some strobe lights - the ringmaster Jack White on guitar, and his sister Meg on drums. What else do you need?

Their NYC show before this one was at the much smaller Irving Plaza.

it was billed as a double header.....but in fairness to grinderman its only their 4th ever live show.........

i imagine all three were better than the arcade fires petulant recent performances

Posted by ro | July 25, 2007 5:08 AM

Had not seen the White Stripes since seeing them at the Hammerstein several years ago and thought they were excellent. Surprisingly, they did not look lost at the Garden and Jack and Meg looked like they were having a great time. Great show.

Grinderman was good for what it was. A little too one chordish, derivative Doors music for me. Crowd got into it.

Porter Wagoner was a lot of fun and the band was excellent. Marty Stuart came on stage stating they were going to play hillbilly music,and hillbilly it was. Great guitarist.

Great pictures by the way.

Posted by Adam | July 25, 2007 7:17 AM

an interesting story about porter wagoner recently featured on studio 360:

Posted by janelle | July 25, 2007 8:38 AM

people in my section were booing grinderman! I was so mad!

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 8:41 AM

Grinderman stole the show.

Posted by Elwood D. Pennypacker | July 25, 2007 8:51 AM

any idea if grinderman are playing another nyc show while in town? fucking dying to see them.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 8:57 AM

nick cave is a sexy beast

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 9:05 AM

setlist people...let's get on that

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 9:10 AM

Jack's slide has gotten better and better over the years... last night was epic IMO. How did the show compare to Irving, other than the obvious fact that the venues are drastically different?

Anyone have a setlist from last night?

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 9:13 AM

They didn't disappoint, but it wasn't in the same league as the Irving Plaza show.

From http://doctormooney.blogspot.com

Set List:

Start Time: 10:06P

Dead Leaves and The Dirty Ground
When I Hear My Name
Hotel Yorba
Cannon/John The Revelator/Cannon
Icky Thump
Do
Death Letter
In The Cold, Cold Night (Meg on Organ At End)
Martyr For My Love For You
I’m Slowly Turning Into You (Disco Ball)
I Think I Smell A Rat -> Wasting My Time
300 MPH
You Don’t Know What Love Is…
Fell In Love With A Girl (Slow Version)
Ball & Biscuit

Break: 11:16P -11:24P

Encore:

Blue Orchid (Disco Ball)
I Just Don’t Know…
Little Ghost (mandolin)
We’re Going To Be Friends
Little Bird -> Catch Hell Blues
My Doorbell (Guitar)
7NA
Boll Weevil

End Time: 11:56P

Posted by kap | July 25, 2007 9:29 AM

I know everyone WANTS to like Grinderman....but they sucked.

Posted by g | July 25, 2007 9:32 AM

did porter play "the rubber room"?

Posted by bill p | July 25, 2007 9:38 AM

Wasn't to into Grinderman but the Stripes were absolutley fantastic and even they were having a great time, stellar show

Posted by Steve | July 25, 2007 9:45 AM

2nd song was Jolene

Posted by seth | July 25, 2007 9:45 AM

re: setlist

they played jolene last night too right?

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 9:45 AM

dammit. grinderman is so fucking good. i wish i could have been there.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 9:46 AM

I definitely enjoyed grinderman!

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 9:49 AM

anyone get hit in the head with one of those flying, glow stick drink stirrer things? I was 4 rows off the floor and saw quite a few people get beaned when those things started flying.

Posted by FrixFrixFrix | July 25, 2007 9:53 AM

^^ "g | July 25, 2007 9:32 AM"

I know you WANT to have good taste in music, but your ears are full of your own turds. Listen again.

Posted by c | July 25, 2007 9:54 AM

Jolene was 3rd, after When I Hear My Name, not 2nd

Posted by FrixFrixFrix | July 25, 2007 9:55 AM

porter wagoner was great - sound was so clear during his set (which did include rubber room)

grinderman was awesome - loud and profane and relentless - the people in front of me booed them after (and during) every song they played, until they couldn't handle getting pummelled anymore and just walked out - i found this very amusing

white stripes were amazing! would have loved to have been at irving plaza, but seeing them last night almost makes up for that. the two hour set was great - funny though - i kept waiting for a mariachi trumpeter to come out so they could play "conquest"

Posted by monkey poop | July 25, 2007 9:56 AM

in my opinion, as well as a few of my friends, last night's show was so much better than the irving plaza show. jack white was totally ON last night. both he and meg were energetic and very obviously enjoying every second of the show. the size of msg did not ruin the show for me as much as i thought it would.

Posted by stefanie Donadic | July 25, 2007 10:03 AM

If you saw the show last night, and didn't dig Grinderman, you should turn over all rocker credentials and admit you're a pussy.

If you booed Grinderman, then I hate you, Jack White hates you, and Meg just pities you.

Grinderman fucking rocked, what's better than noisy, fuckyoueey rock and roll.

And God bless Warren Ellis, hitting the cymbal with your maracas and looking all insane mofo.

Wish Porter played longer than 8:25, I only saw an excellent song and half.

Stripes were great, but the set structure is felling awfully tired to me. Does every show have to open with Dead Leaves and end with Boll Weevil? All the new stuff sounded fantastic though. Would love to hear conquest, rag and bone, prickly thorn or st andrew tonight at Oakdale in CT. (lots of face value ga tickets if anyone wants to make the road trip to CT)

Posted by united discord | July 25, 2007 10:04 AM

Jack White stated "I don't believe we've played this bar before." It took Jack and Meg not even one song to let everyone know they belonged at Madison Square Garden. I admit I was skeptical. I’ve seen everyone from Queen, Led Zep, The Stones, Who, Cure, Prince, Bruce, Radiohead, Depeche Mode, U2 etc.. at MSG over the years and The White Stripes belonged! They rocked the joint. Yeah it was not Irving but it was cool hearing Jack's guitar fill the big arena. Lame ass crowd though. Lots of applause but most people just standing or some even sitting down! So what it was a weeknight. Just missed Porter Wagoner. Grinderman were very good and pretty well received. They were loud and dirty! Early on Nick Cave fell on his butt and made a joke about it. Great show.

Posted by jjazznola | July 25, 2007 10:04 AM

The Stripes absolutely delivered last night. They made me forget I was in a huge space. I just felt like I was watching the band I love. I also have to say it was a pretty asshole free crowd (though the light throwing was a bit distracting-especially b/c it happened during some of the best playing of the night).

I hope all the Grinderman haters give the album another chance. It really grows on you. I think if you knew what to expect you would have really enjoyed their set. I hope there is another NYC show for them.

Posted by BMH | July 25, 2007 10:07 AM

Saw this cute chalk drawing outside MSG on my way in.

Posted by josef | July 25, 2007 10:12 AM

ahhhhh i missed death letter? so bummed they didn't play that at irving!!

Posted by anon | July 25, 2007 10:15 AM

anyone able to weasel their way into the roped off GA ection in front of the stage? - i tried, but the guy told me i'd have to "make a bribe" ($100) because i didn't have a wristband.

Posted by monkey poop | July 25, 2007 10:15 AM

Great pictures by the way.

Posted by Adam | July 25, 2007 7:17 AM

you don't know what you're talking about dickhead

grinderman was awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 10:20 AM

I was hoping for a 2nd encore of an F

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 10:24 AM

Let's hope Grinderman tours again.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 10:25 AM

We enjoyed last nights show more than Irving Plaza. Big guitars need a big stage. They seemed to be realy enjoying themselves on stage. Great setlist. Great sound. Great band. Great show! Oh yeah. Grinderman also rocked. Boy were they loud. Nick fell on his ass and laughed about it. They need to play their own NYC show soon.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 10:28 AM

saw some people walking into the show with a couple of kids (9-10yrs) - i wish i could've seen the parents faces when Grinderman was playing - they must've been crapping their pants as their kids shrieked and fell on the floor with bloody ears, sputtering profanity...

Posted by monkey poop | July 25, 2007 10:34 AM

the white stripes were... ehhh. wouldnt see them again in a hurry. and the lights weren't 'modest.' they were in fact one of the only good parts of their show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 10:35 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 10:35 AM

all hail meg's silhouetted boobs!!!

Posted by thigh master | July 25, 2007 10:39 AM

grinderman was too loud/the stripes weren't loud enough. meg's kit especially needed to be boosted in the mix. still a great show, though...

and oh those catch hell blues. by far my favorite song of the night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 10:42 AM

"...Jack White on guitar, and his sister Meg on drums."

Well, since you brought it up, BV, I'll say that I saw a show on VH1 years ago that addressed the rumors that they are siblings but authoritatively stated that they are not. It said they were married at one time, with Jack taking Meg's surname as his own, not vice versa. (So does anyone know what Jack's "maiden" name is?)

Posted by He who shall not be named | July 25, 2007 10:43 AM

from wikipedia:

Jack White (occasionally Jack III White or Jack White III), born John Anthony Gillis on July 9, 1975 in Detroit, Michigan.

Posted by FrixFrixFrix | July 25, 2007 10:52 AM

He who shall not be named should be shot

Posted by poop scroop | July 25, 2007 10:53 AM

What for?

Posted by He who shall not be named | July 25, 2007 11:35 AM

The info on Jack and Meg not really being brother and sister would be hot, timely news if this was 2001.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 11:40 AM

Posted by united discord | July 25, 2007 11:40 AM

for not goin to wikipedia and finding out the answers yerself

Posted by poop scroop | July 25, 2007 11:41 AM

...which BV seemed to have missed.

Posted by He who shall not be named | July 25, 2007 11:41 AM

Get a sense of humor people. Everyone knows they are not brother and sister. Stop trying to sound smart.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 11:42 AM

pretty sure any reference to them being siblings is made with tongue firmly planted in cheek at this point folks. not due to lack of knowledge.

Posted by FrixFrixFrix | July 25, 2007 11:45 AM

I LOVE MEG!

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 11:50 AM

great show...grinderman were dirty..loud...raw.... and rocked! was disheartening to hear the boos, but then again there were some 12 year olds there... standing on chairs.

ws's played a long and energetic set..jack white is an animal. never realized he could play guitar that well.

also ..people were throwing those glowy shits and one hit my guy on the head. he's in pain.

Posted by lola | July 25, 2007 11:50 AM

i heard a rumor that the ramones are not really brothers...could that be true too?

Posted by yes, i know, i am a dick | July 25, 2007 11:54 AM

Next you'll be telling me that Scissor Sisters aren't an all-woman band, much less sisters.

Posted by He who shall not be named | July 25, 2007 12:23 PM

any celebs in the crowd last night?

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 12:31 PM

i sat right behind nick zinner and brian chase of the yyy's, and nick cave also sat for part of the stripes' set. it was almost too distracting!

Posted by Qbertplaya | July 25, 2007 12:38 PM

you would definitely have to be a twelve year-old or frat boy to boo Grinderman. idiots.

Posted by ned kelly | July 25, 2007 12:50 PM

I saw Natalie Portman, someone else saw Chris Rock.

But before the show, on 56th, I had the best celeb sighting ever - Tony Soprano's Russian Goomah, talking on her cell phone. Awesome!

Posted by united discord | July 25, 2007 12:59 PM

i was a fratboy when i was 12 and at the time i HATED nick cave

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 1:00 PM

I've posted my recording of last night's show on my site for direct flac download.

Posted by nyctaper | July 25, 2007 1:07 PM

i saw natalie portman and ed burns. a nice!

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 1:11 PM

i saw natalie portman and ed burns. a nice!

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 1:11 PM

hey, those are 2 of my pictures! check out the rest: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyg/archives/date-taken/2007/07/24/

Posted by wally | July 25, 2007 1:39 PM

What the fuck people? You actually liked the juvenile, idiotic noise pollution, known as Grinderman?

Im not a frat boy, and Im not 12, but it doesnt matter what your background is, shitty music is shitty music.

My g-friend and I were laughing at each song b/c of how stupid they sounded. Yall are serious poseurs, only liking grindermand b/c of Nick Cave....

Posted by Andy | July 25, 2007 1:58 PM

You're right Andy, I stand corrected. Grinderman didn't rock, they sucked.

Idiot.

I reiterate, if you listened to that Grinderman set, and didn't dig it, you're a pussy and don't know what rock is.

Nothing personal, just the facts.

Sorry there wasn't an opener you could have liked, maybe Maroon Five or Ben Folds would have made your dick hard.

Shitty fans are shitty fans...

Posted by United Discord | July 25, 2007 2:11 PM

last i checked music was subjective.

i really do like grinderman..sorry. never been a big nick cave fan eiher.

Posted by lola | July 25, 2007 2:16 PM

last i checked music was subjective.

i really do like grinderman..sorry. never been a big nick cave fan eiher.

Posted by lola | July 25, 2007 2:17 PM

last i checked music was subjective.

i really do like grinderman..sorry. never been a big nick cave fan eiher.

Posted by lola | July 25, 2007 2:17 PM

That's another thing I meant to say too, the general pompous and smug attitude of you Cave-suckers to put down anyone who didnt enjoy hearing lyrics written by an adolescent boy who cant get to to second base, how dare I not like that sort of wonderful music.

How is hearing a guy who cant harmonize, shouting at the top of his lungs, swearing like a sailor, and ear screeching feedback distortion fall in line with great rock music? Can they act any more infantile?

Grinderman seemed better suited for a senor frogs in Dothan, Alabama than the freakin garden. Gimme a break.

Posted by Andy | July 25, 2007 2:22 PM

"How is hearing a guy who cant harmonize, shouting at the top of his lungs, swearing like a sailor, and ear screeching feedback distortion fall in line with great rock music"

e.g. Led Zep, Iggy Pop, Jim Morrison, Billy Corgan, Kurt Cobain, Jack White, Velvet Underground, etc etc.

For the record, Andy, what are your fave bands?

Posted by united discord | July 25, 2007 2:31 PM

you must be fat

andy is a fat guy's name

and you referenced the south

you must be a fat southerner

give it a rest. not everything that people like is great

lay off the chimichangas

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 2:35 PM

How dare you! I like lots of good music, like Jack Johnson and Edie Brickel. My g-friend and I hate loud rauncy music like that scalliwag Nick Cave. He would be better playing a senor frogs, ooh, burn!

Come to think of it, White Stripes were awfully loud and guitary for my delicate ears too.

Wish I stayed home and watched old Frasier repeats like I usually do on Tuesdays...

Posted by Andy | July 25, 2007 2:36 PM

that wasn't Chris Rock. I saw that guy too, did a double take, but it wasn't Chris Rock.

funny how many people are hearing Nick Cave for the first time. if Grinderman offend you, better make sure you NEVER hear the Birthday Party, because they will leave you weeping under the bed in a fetal position.

Meg is hotter than ever.

Posted by from her to eternity | July 25, 2007 2:39 PM

OOh ya got me, you signed a post under my name and said I like Jack and Edie, I feel so wronged.....

In addition, my fave bands is inconsequential to my point that GRINDERMAN SUCKS MONKEY BALLS! It doesnt matter if I like the exact same 5 bands as you do united discord, youd still find something wrong with them and call me out on a mssgboard like the big guy you are, seriously, get a life man.

You dont have to agree with me, which you obviously dont, but yall gotta stop being suck pricks to people who dont worship the same deity that apparently you do.

Posted by ANDY | July 25, 2007 2:48 PM

Hey Fat Andy,
If I am reading the above posts correctly, you started this shit.

You said that Grinderman were:

juvenile, idiotic noise pollution

shitty music

And that only poseurs liked them.

So don't piss and moan when folks slam you and make you look and sound foolish.

I'm not united discord, by the way, this is my first post here on this topic, but I'm with UD on this one.

And I was at the show last night, never heard Nick Cave before, but loved Grinderman. Am I a poseur too buddy?

Also, way to dodge listing the lame bands that you love.

Posted by Grinderfan | July 25, 2007 3:11 PM

i was there as well show was great beginning to end, grindermen were great as well, yes people in back of me didnt know who nick cave is or this band but thats fine. I fucking loved it, all the new songs sound great.

Posted by nyc noise fan | July 25, 2007 3:29 PM

Best encore that I've ever seen - any band, any genre, any venue. Better than Radiohead's three encores @ MSG in July(?) 2001; better then GbV's two or three encores at their last NYC show at Irving Plaza; better than Spoon's encore @ Siren two years ago when they faked-out the crowd and came back on-stage after, like, six minutes; better than Scissor Sister's encore a year later @ Siren; better then The Strokes back in May '04 at Summerstage where there was a standoff with the cops threatening them to pull the plug because they weren't gonna make the 11PM curfew and drunk Jules dissing the sponsor - a non-profit breast cancer organization; better than Q and not U's last show in NYC @ The Knitting Factory.

To whoever said that Jack & Meg didn't feel lost in MSG, I counldn't disagree with you more. It felt like they were uninspired and unsure how to play their songs. They would play these extended instrumentals, breaks, and arrangements within their songs which I know is their M.O. but in MSG it didn't feel right and most of us - in my section - were in our seats by, like, the 5th song. The distortion was all over the place and because there was no "bottom", it felt worse. I say that because Meg's drums were low in the mix and if you were sitting to the left of the stage, which is behind Meg, you hardly heard anything.

By around 10:50pm I was thinking that I would stay for only couple of more songs when they then they played "Fell in Love ...." with this mellow vibe that would slowly get louder, then back to mellow. That got a good response from the crowd but Ball & Biscuit SAVED THEIR SHOW. Everything about that song felt right, intense, passionate - the beats, the solos, the distortion, the sound, and they would carry that right through the encore. AWESOME & INSPIRING.

Didn't anyone else feel a little nervous about that "break" between sets? Not even the "roadies-in-a-suit knew what was going on.

Posted by b.LOUD | July 25, 2007 3:32 PM

The show itself was awesome. MSG is definitely not a venue I like to frequent but they filled the room.

I still have mixed feelings about Grinderman.

Do agree about the crowd slightly sucking though. Moms were grinding [badly] and frat boys were busy spilling their beer, high-fiving their tag-along 'girlfriends' and just being general assholes.

Tis' all.

Posted by rachael | July 25, 2007 3:33 PM

Sorry guys. Grinderman might not my g-friend and my cup of tea, but I was wrong to slam them like I did. If so many people like them, I guess maybe I'm the one that's wrong. A lot of music sounds weird to me, too loud, too scary. But these are issues I have to deal with, and for me to take my fears and insecurities out in public like this is just plain wrong.

As for the fat comments, I'll be honest, they hurt. My dad died of a heart attack at age 41. He was 324 pounds. I'm not that heavy, but it's a daily struggle. The deal-a-meal cards and support from my diet sponsor really help, but it's a lifelong battle I have to fight. So the fat comments really hit home.

That's all I have to say. Sorry I was such a whiny bitch before, my friends. I'll try not to be such a douche in the future.

Posted by Andy | July 25, 2007 3:33 PM

I think that setlist is missing some. I am sure the played Jolene somewhere in there.

My general thougths were that the vocals on the faster/louder songs was a bit off but otherwise an excellent show. The stuff off the new album sounded great. If I could complain it would be for not getting Rag & Bone and Conquest.

Favs on the night:
Little Ghost
Fell in Love with a Girl (started slow but got faster)
Icky Thump
Martyr for My love for you
I’m Slowly Turning Into You

Posted by Lee | July 25, 2007 3:40 PM

I'm pretty sure robert plant, jim morrison, lou reed, and whoever else you named sing much better than the singer from Grinderman, so someone didn't like the band that you did, just leave it at that and don't insult someone else for that, grow up.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 3:41 PM

I actually do like Edie Brickell. (But I must admit, it's a guilty pleasure.)

Posted by Sha-na-na-nomynous | July 25, 2007 3:41 PM

Lou Reed is not a better singer than Nick Cave. Jim Morrison and Robert Plant certainly are though.

This has been a funny argument to read. Some random guy slams the great Nick Cave, then gets upset when he gets piled on.

You throw bombs on message boards, they get tossed back at you.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 3:57 PM

Jim Morrison wasn't a very good singer. Can't compare to Nick Cave though, I'm unfamiliar.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 4:02 PM

a few things...

ro stated it was a double header... this was not the case, grinderman was an opening act, a very special guest, or whatever you want to call it. the show was on sale for several weeks before they were even added to the bill...

jack apparently injured his back, so the longer than usual break was for a brief recuperation...

people that hate on the openers, you are entitled to an opinion... but look at this way; these acts are something that jack and meg asked to play with them... if you are fan of the stripes, you should respect their decision in openers... maybe you don't like it, but at least give it the chance it deserves... what does booing grinderman do? it only makes you look childish or ignorant...

Posted by Ricky Thump | July 25, 2007 4:05 PM

I am very happy to see that Grinderman pissed off so many people. good to know that Cave still has it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 4:11 PM

fuck the doors

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 4:19 PM

or if you don't care about the openers, plan to arrive at your seats at 9:50pm. I only caught about a minute of Grinderman's set and then it was on with what I paid to see.

Added bonus, I used that extra time I saved to do a little pre-gaming at my house while watching some excellent live Zeppelin footage.

I wish everyone stuck so closely to their set start times.

Posted by FrixFrixFrix | July 25, 2007 4:20 PM

right on Anon 4:11! Grinderman's set would have sucked if it didn't piss off atleast half the audience.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 4:20 PM

Who didn't like my set?!? I'll tear your fucking arms off and beat you about the head and upper torso until you're black and blue!

(I'm looking at you, Fat Andy!)

And I hope none of you fuckers laughed when I fell on my arse early in the set. Anyone that laughed, I'll stick my penis in your ear and rape your earhole so bad you'll never be able to hear live music again!

Anyhoozle,

Peace out,

Nick

Posted by Nick Cave | July 25, 2007 4:29 PM

Anounymous posting realy leads to some dumb comments.

BV: How about requiring people to sign to post? Maybe that would lead to a more constructive comment board.

BTW: Last night was awesome. All three bands, although different, were great to have on one bill. Thank you Meg and Jack. Please come back soon.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 4:35 PM

My bad everyone. I was really wrong to have gone off on someone who didnt like the same band that I love so much that I fill messageboards like this up with all my pent up rage because I have no friends and nobody likes me.

I apologize for insinuating that you are fat Andy, I am fat myself and have a tiny penis too, it has been affecting my chances with the ladies now since high school and I still have yet to deal with it. So far only pedophiles and priests have taken an interest in me sexually and boy, my ass sure does hurt.

I am making positive steps though, as my therapist and I have mapped a path to recovery that involves spending my unemployed days at home picking fights on websites with people who dont like bands that I like. But its better than being butt-pirated by my local clergyman so I hope you understand.

And to Nick Cave, why wont you answer my fan mail? I am just one man, but my love for you is never ending and I wish you knew the lengths that I go to, to protect your perfect image as the quintessential over-the-hill rock star wannabe who never could find his niche with his previous band. I love you Nick, wont you pleasure my ass tonight?!

Posted by united discord | July 25, 2007 4:36 PM

More constructive, but less amusing.

And Anounymous is not a word, dumb-ass.

Posted by Your mom | July 25, 2007 4:38 PM

BV should just abandon its comment sections and create a forum to talk about it all instead, requiring people to register. At least there we can identify who the douchebags are.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 4:39 PM

geting flamed, then trying to flame someone with essentially the exact same joke?

Not so funny, fat andy.

Good try, though. Now obsess some more on how you and your g-friend couldn't handle Nick Cave.

Posted by Fat Andy's little tiny penis | July 25, 2007 4:41 PM

C'mon, how can you not love this hate, bile and sarcasm encrusted excuse for a message board!

Flame away, haters, posers, and people who don't know real music enough to like Nick Cave!

Posted by Happy Fluffy Rainbow Teddy Bear | July 25, 2007 4:43 PM

Hey Fat Andy,
Speaking as a bystander amused by all this nonsense:

Quit while you're behind. United Discord and other posters have gotten the better of you, and most here agree Nick Cave was great last night.

Any further posts, you're just flailing...

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 4:47 PM

4:39: A registration only comments section would be awesome. Or an invite only one. I dream of a day when the BV comments are as entertaining and informative as the blog rather than . . . . 90% of the above.

Regarding the concert -- I thought it was a fantastic trip from beginning to end. As I've experienced in the past, being 10 feet from the stage with GA tickets gives you the illusion of intimacy and the quality of sound that you might expect from say Irving Plaza, with the added bonus that you get to turn your head to the side and remember you're surrounded by 20,000 fans, most of them on their feet. The GA audience was excellent for the most part, enthusiastic, into dancing to the music, relatively respectful -- everything I could have asked for.

Porter Wagoner was far too short but nonetheless a unique experience for someone like me who doesn't generally see artists like that, Grinderman was a very welcome surprise (I'd heard bad things about the last few NYC shows Nick Cave did, and now completely disbelieve them), and the Stripes set was pheonomenal. When Seven Nations Army came at the end of the encore, I realized that I was attending one of my favorite concerts to date. Jack White is one of the few artists I've experienced who can combine the skills and appeal to fill MSG with the enthusiasm and outward humility to make him likeable while he does it. And his performance of Catch Hell Blues made my week.

Posted by Moiche | July 25, 2007 5:08 PM

it was my 3rd time seeing them. second best showing. his guitar was fucked up in the first half, so he couldnt play the songs he normally would have. he had to stop and use other guitars. that slowed the pace a little.

BUT IT STILL WAS THE BEST CONCERT OF THE YEAR. NOBODY IS AS GOOD AS THEM LIVE. THE END.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 5:21 PM

grinderman was great- white stripes were greeat (not as good of a set as irving but still damn good and much more comfortable) everyone near me was rocking out hard and i did see some sections further back that were dead- whatever to them.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 5:42 PM

Hey all... Porter Wagoner was a fun/creative opener. I know there's a lot of fighting in the comments about Nick Cave and Grinderman. Honestly I never heard of Grinderman when I bought tickets to the show. So I downloaded some songs to get a feel for it and it. I did not love it but I didn't hate it. But last night they were not very good at all- Just looking at it from a music perspective. Not trying to bash anyone here but simply it was not good. They need a lot more work. That was their first gig in the US. So maybe give them some time I dunno. If you like it OK, if you don't, OK... whatever floats your boat...

Definately the highlight of the show was I'm Slowly Turning Into You with the discoball. Jack was definately in rare form last night- definately excited to be playing in such a storied arena. He had a lot of badass in him knocking over some drums and getting tangled in cables just because he was so into his solos. All in all it was a great night.

Posted by andyanks | July 25, 2007 7:58 PM

Andyanks: "That was their first gig in the US. So maybe give them some time I dunno."

You seem to be unaware that Nick Cave has been around for two decades and this is just his latest side project. Not to attack you at all, but I can't stand when people make assumptive assertions without knowing all facts. That doesn't mean you SHOULD have liked them now, it just means you should know all your facts before you make a judgment.

Posted by Elwood D. Pennypacker | July 25, 2007 9:42 PM

Elwood:

I definately know that Nick Cave has been around... but as far as I know it was Grinderman's first performance here. Jack White even said that last night. I don't think I stated anything incorrect. I don't know what you can't stand lol...

Posted by andyanks | July 25, 2007 10:40 PM

Nothing I stated was incorrect. Jack White even said it last night... I obviously know who Nick Cave is and that he is no newbie... But Grinderman is new to the US and I think they need some work.

Posted by andyanks | July 25, 2007 10:43 PM

No pussy blues rocked it- if you think different then its a sad sad day

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2007 11:30 PM

Yes that was Grinderman, Nick Cave's side project's first US gig however they are the same guys who are in his regular band The Bad Seeds minus the guitar and keyboard players. You may not have liked them but believe me they sounded exactly the way Nick wanted them to sound. It is not music for everyone. If you didn't get what they are going for it doesn't mean they sucked. Also let me be the first to applaud The White Stripes for trying to put together an interesting bill instead of getting just another popular band or some shitty act their record label is trying to push to open for them. I thought all three acts were very good at what they do. Awsome lineup and show! Personally I like to know a little bit about any artist I'm going to see however anyone who never heard of Nick Cave, Warren Ellis or Porter Wagoner knows very little about music. I love this website but I'm getting tired of people who just don't know what they are talking about!

Posted by jjazznola | July 26, 2007 2:53 AM

Man I loved Nick Cave that night. His snake noises were great! haha. We need a Grinderman show as headliners.

Posted by Eduardo | July 26, 2007 3:09 AM

I was at the show two nights ago. I was a big fan of Porter Wagner and thought that he definitely should have gone longer....but seeing his age I definately understand why he didn't. Then came Grinderhouse. Not going to lie, I wasn't a fan, but I'm not going to bash them or Nick Cave. He basically seemed like a guy that I would get along with especially when he said, "One day I'm going to be able to tell my kids....that their father slipped on his ass at Madison Square Garden." When they started off, I can honestly say I pretty much hated them, but their set really grew. The drummer was extremely talented. Nick Cave though, really needed to vary his vocal range a little bit because his voice came off as somewhat monotonous.

BTW - Was Nick cave using sheet music? because i remember seeing papers, and i think like halfway through he accidentally knocked over a folder.

Posted by Joe | July 26, 2007 4:13 AM

At the risk of being unpopular, Nick Cave is stupid and bad. Always has been.

Posted by thrdmn | July 26, 2007 4:57 PM

I love you for posting that. I don't know why I'm silly enough to get upset at folks who are posting thinks like "nick cave sux!!! he is a jerk!! my g-friend and I laffed at his immature junk!!!!!!!!", but I do.

I get upset because the Grinderman set was so rock and roll, and it upset me so much to hear a few tools here and there who didn't get it and were booing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2007 5:12 PM

You might think he's bad, but Nick Cave stupid? Lies. He is one of the most literate and eloquent rock stars out there.

Posted by J | July 26, 2007 8:10 PM

I found this via Idolator: http://17dots.com/2007/07/25/caving-in

Nick Cave: This song is called “No Pussy Blues.”
Heckler: Well, you’re UGLY — what ELSE would it be called?

Posted by ROFLMAO | July 26, 2007 9:19 PM

nick cave fucked the girl you're probably married to.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2007 2:47 AM

Lots of the files at the global web is available for downloading at http://megauploadfiles.com/

Posted by Tery | May 26, 2008 3:59 PM

I cannot even begin to imagine how anyone can listen to the shit that Grinderman calls music and enjoy it. It is nothing but a bunch of awful noise thrown together to make one very loud, shitty fucking sound.

As far as Nick Cave goes, i've never even heard of this fuckin guy and after hearing him sing, I can see why.

And to the asshole saying you're a pussy if you don't like Grinderman, any garage band on earth could play this pathetic shit. If you call someone a pussy on an internet message board because they know that a particular band sucks cock, it's probably you that is the pussy.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2009 3:29 PM