Posted in music | pictures on August 6, 2007

I forgot when mentioning all the shows I'll miss while I'm away, that getting ready to go somewhere can take so long as well. Long story short, I never made it to the pool on Sunday - which sucks because I especially wanted to check out the NYC debut of I'm From Barcelona. Looks like it was a fun show...

(CRED)
I'm From Barcelona @ McCarren Pool

more photos below...

(CRED)
I'm From Barcelona @ McCarren Pool

(CRED)
I'm From Barcelona @ McCarren Pool

(CRED)
I'm From Barcelona @ McCarren Pool

(CRED)
I'm From Barcelona @ McCarren Pool

I'm From Barcelona also played Lollapalooza, and play again @ Southpaw tonight. Blonde Redhead played Lollapalooza too.

Went to the show at McCarren Pool yesterday. Can somebody tell me why it is that a band that's willing to fly 21 people from Europe to create a full, fun sound (I'm From Barcelona; I really dug them, gonna see them tonight at Southpaw too) has second billing to a trio that is too fuckin' lame to hire a keyboard player let alone a bassist, both sounds being audible only through recorded backing tracks? Even the percussion was obviously augmented with tape. And the audience was lapping it up. I'm not saying Blonde Redhead's music was bad, but is the hipster generation so artificial that a show that's 50% iPod is considered a live performance? Sad, sad, sad.

John Ife

Posted by John Ife | August 6, 2007 10:11 AM

I'm assuming that you think DJs are "artificial" as well. It doesn't really matter if some of the tracks are prerecorded. People where there to see and hear good music, and most of them got what they came for.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 10:22 AM

maybe because IFB's music really sucks ass?

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 10:30 AM

Personally, I thought that the mix for Blonde Redhead was brilliant for an outdoor show. Plus, a great free summer show, why complain at all!

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 10:31 AM

i'm from barcelona was silly happy crazed monkey fun. i'm curious what they'll be like in a smaller venue. more confetti?

i wasn't bothered a bit by the recorded mingling with the live...still sounded gorgeous.

Posted by nr | August 6, 2007 10:34 AM

it seems a generation of hipsters is giving way to a generation of wannabe sound engineers

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 10:37 AM

more and more I'm beginning to hate reading people's comments...but sometimes they just make me laugh a little

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 10:41 AM

the line was freakin insane to get into mccarren pool at around 3. i wanted to see barcelona more than anything but no thanks to waiting 50 minutes on a line that snakes around the block.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 10:47 AM

it was only like 20 minutes or so...really wasn't as bad as I thought

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 10:51 AM

It was FREE! Shut Up

Posted by paul | August 6, 2007 10:52 AM

and, the line was like single file cause they only had i think 2 people checking bags...so stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 10:53 AM

both barcelona and blonde redhead were amazing

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 10:55 AM

both barcelona and blonde redhead were amazing

Posted by Liam | August 6, 2007 10:55 AM

the line to get in was insane!!! beer line was even worse. seems like there were a lot of tourists in the crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 11:28 AM

I was also shocked by the line. I've been to the pool every weekend (always arriving at roughly the same time) and that was by far the worst line of the year. Luckily we got in right after I'm From Barcelona's first song. The pool didn't seem that much more crowded then usual which made the line even more perplexing.

Posted by MP77 | August 6, 2007 11:45 AM

Thanks for the Blonde Redhead photos...and all you complainers, their sound was as tight as ever, they do very limited back tracking for the live shows of 23 songs and newflash: so do a shitload of other bands today.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 11:47 AM

Yeah, who cares if someone uses back tracking. Was it a good show or not? If so - then relax and enjoy. Blonde Redhead were awesome yesterday.

Posted by David McCaffredy | August 6, 2007 12:09 PM

I've seen BR a few times and I also feel like its a rip-off that they use backing tracks. I don't go to see a show to hear their CD played thru a PA. Part of seeing a live show is the magic of witnessing the music being created right in front of you, seeing the musicians communicate with each other and hearing re-interpretations of the music. Limitations of playing live breed new innovations! Backing tracks are boring.

and I'm not into DJ's but that's just me.

Posted by pooter | August 6, 2007 12:44 PM

Backing tracks are no different than any other type of "instrument". Most indie rock bands don't build and wire their own guitars, or their own amplifiers. Those who use synthesizers often don't create the oscillators and develop the tones they use. Not to mention the reliance on standard tunings and western ideas of what makes music in the first place.

It's all the same as using samplers and sequencers. Unless you're singing, most often the sound is "artificial". All instruments are programmed and based upon ingrained concepts of musicology and technology.

A backing track shouldn't offend you any more than a band playing in the key of E.

Posted by patrick | August 6, 2007 12:57 PM

Insane line. People should be discouraged from bringing bags. Or make the one line for bag-check and let everyone else walk in, like they did for the first few shows last year. Or maybe just no bags.

What happened to the RSVP line that they were going to do last week? I think I'd rather have the bag line though.

Posted by chinolam | August 6, 2007 12:58 PM

anyone get a set list of blonde redhead's?

Posted by tim | August 6, 2007 12:59 PM

Right on, Patrick! I enjoyed the show so much! It was a beautiful day and beautiful music to match.

As for the pool being as crowded as usual, not true. I've been to nearly every show this summer and this was by far the most crowded I've seen it. I guess they reached capacity, because a friend of mine got to the pool as blonde redhead were starting. They enacted the 1 in, 1 out rule - which is a first as far as I know. I wonder what capacity is at McCarren. Does anyone know?

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 1:03 PM

We left as BR were finishing their encore and there was still a line of people waiting to get in..

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 1:16 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 1:16 PM

How was the view from the bridge?

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 1:30 PM

That dude Patrick's arguement is the weakest piece of debate I've ever heard. By your standards, we should just just pay money to engineers who will build robots that will play along to prerecorded music, ala the animitronic Chucky Cheese Band. After the novelty wears off and the band goes through the same motions every fucking song, will you feel rocked?

And the whole, "didn't build your guitar" line is pathetic- guitars require human energy to produce sound, you have to actually hit the thing. Is there anyone here who prefers drum machines in live settings to an actual sweat-drenched drummer? Nothing can replace the suspense and tension of humans playing music.

I'm not saying samplers are evil, but like anything, everything in moderation.

Posted by Rebut | August 6, 2007 1:49 PM

hey rebut! its Chuck E. Cheese, but you can call me Mr. Chuck E. Cheese!

Posted by Chucky | August 6, 2007 2:07 PM

But Rebut, Blonde Redhead were using sequencers and drum pads which required human energy to trigger and hit. Also if my debate is weak please tell me why using prerecorded music doesn't

"require human energy to produce sound"

All instruments are programmed machines at their basic level, and few bands use them in new and exploratory ways.

And no, you shouldn't pay money to engineers to build sound emitting robots unless you want to, but bands that just strum guitars and care about making me "feel rocked" are increasingly boring to me, I respect your opinion can you try to understand mine?

Posted by patrick | August 6, 2007 2:36 PM

agreed that BR cheats a little, which takes away from them. it's like comparing a muse to a radiohead. but i still like BR, and i still like muse.

Posted by mina | August 6, 2007 2:43 PM

hitting a play button and playing a guitar will always be two very different things. it takes away from the live experience. period.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 2:55 PM

Patrick. Dude, just stop. Just say that you don't mind backing tracks and leave it at that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 3:05 PM

But hitting a play button and playing the guitar are often the same experience with the same outcome. You ask me to stop with my ideas while you maintain a stubborn finality to yours. I must possibly be wrong because 7 decades of guitar dominated music makes that so.

The "live" experience is completely arbitrary. You equate "live" music with a band playing a song. Whereas others may equate it with a computer generating sound. What is so bothersome by mine, and plenty of others, understanding of what live music is and isn't that bothers you?

I dislike the anger in the comments on this blog, and am sincerely enaging those of you who have an issue with what I am saying.

Posted by patrick | August 6, 2007 3:18 PM

I saw the show and didn't mind at all. After, all they wrote all the music and each member of the band was playing something(i.e. manipulating a device to make music). To be honest, I'm glad they didn't hire an extra member or two. Blonde Redhead have such a good chemistry that adding someone else to the twin/ husband/wife thing would throw it off. It was a good concert in which the band, at some point, produced all of the music.

Posted by Josh | August 6, 2007 3:20 PM

playing notes on an instrument live > recording an instrument beforehand and pushing a button to mimic same instrument

the latter is cheap, takes away from the exclusivity of seeing a band in person and sounding different each time they play. If you don't mind them hitting a play button, then do it home on your stereo.

Posted by rufus buttersworth | August 6, 2007 3:50 PM

Don't you have to be at least 14 and under 22 to go to these shows? So nobody that age knows the difference; prerecorded bullshit or live bullshit. I'm sure it rocked but you won't catch my ass at an underage, free-show, in the bklyn neighborhood from hell (and I'm not referring to the good part of hell...more like, where all midwestern "cool kids" move because bklyn is fucking RAD).

Posted by hmmm | August 6, 2007 4:13 PM

Dear Hmmm (among others)-

Please get over yourself! Or at least describe this perch from which you judge others so harshly. You read brooklynvegan, you admitted that BR probably rocked, and you used the word "rad"- it's sounds like you are just too much of a narcissist to recognize that you are no different from the Williamsburg hipsters you seem to despise!

I, on the other hand, am cooler than all of you.

Posted by hipster | August 6, 2007 5:05 PM

Dear Hmmm (among others)-

I, on the other hand, am cooler and more authentic than all of you.

Posted by hipster | August 6, 2007 5:05 PM

forget blonde redhead. i'm from barcelona stole the show! there are some awesome photos from their set on flickr.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2007 5:21 PM

HEY John Ife | August 6, 2007 10:11 AM
I don't think I'm alone in saying, YOU NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP. YEA, Blonde Redhead were using tracks, and yea, it was fucking amazing. Not only is it nearly impossible to stay synced with tracks live, but blonde redhead made it seem effortless, and were always spot on. Something most bands cant ever seem to do. So before you go saying some bullshit like that, do your research or something.

Posted by James | August 6, 2007 8:17 PM

all this arguing it stupid. the point is i'm from barcelona were amazing.

Posted by Mandy | August 6, 2007 8:23 PM

No pics of Blonde Redhead? Thanks for nothing.

Posted by Bort | August 6, 2007 9:16 PM

I'm From Barcelona is a band perfectly build for this setting. I've hardly bothered listening to their recorded output, but it was impossible not to smile during their set.

Blonde Redhead was pleasant too.

The weather was amazing, and though the line was long, it was moving pretty quickly.

Posted by Devin | August 6, 2007 11:55 PM

The short answer is that no one could possibly get along with the people in the Blonde Redhead, who are near geniuses, but really quirky people. Let them use a drum machine now and then, big deal.

Posted by john | August 7, 2007 12:30 AM

From the discussion board on the official Blonde Redhead site:

"I think the issue is that they are starting to put a little bit too much into to the mix (in May I stood behind the sound board at London Koko and was pretty amazed at the amount of 'extras' listed in the inputs). The sampled vocals were a little disconcerting but the one that got me was the beginning of Spring and Summer Fall when the GUITAR was sampled. The last thing they need to sample is guitar..."

This hits the nose on the head with regard to my beef with this practice. It reaches the point where you can't be sure whether the instruments actually on the stage are being played. It's a fairly short step from there to actually miming. Anybody see the Hard-Fi show at Warsaw last year? Is anybody at a Madonna show hearing her voice live and/or untainted by a pitch corrector? Milli Vanilli redux.

Posted by John Ife | August 7, 2007 10:50 AM

I wish somebody had told me beforehand that the Wiggles were opening for Blonde Redhead. I would have brought my 4 year old niece. She loves them!

Happy Happy Happy!!!!

Posted by Jon | August 7, 2007 11:33 AM

i read the first three comments and dont have time to read the rest. that band with the huge group of stupid looking kids on stage played some of the most awful music i've ever heard. they suck.

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2007 3:55 PM

Posted by I'm The Sound Your Ass Makes When You Shit | August 7, 2007 4:05 PM

I'm a fan of the redhead, the problem that arises with pre-recorded tracks in a live setting is that the music comes off as overly slick and sterile. Nonetheless, their talent is unquestionable, and they've been at it long enough to rely on such gadgetry.

jcatholic

Posted by James Catholic | August 7, 2007 6:35 PM

I saw BR at Webster Hall a couple of months ago & I too was a little unhappy with the prerecorded stuff (it was still an awesome show).
But at the same time I understand how frustrating it can be searching for someone to fit a preexisting band dynamic.
I doubt they think backing tracks are ideal either, but they want the songs to sound a certain way. So they do what they have to to acheive that.
They did say in an interview recently that they wanted to add a fourth permenant member.
Anyone think they're up for it? :)

Posted by Anonymous | August 7, 2007 9:26 PM

4:05 is a pile of dogshit. Go backing to personally hand-gratifying yourself in front of the computer. Fatass loser.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2007 2:39 AM

i saw blonde redhead a few years ago open for interpol. we were all like "wow this sounds amazing" until we had the epiphany midway through the set that half the guitars and drums werent actually being played. Also they had keyboards on most of the song and no keyboardist. lame.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2007 10:21 AM

Im From Barcelona was great...the show at Southpaw was even more bananas.

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2007 12:20 PM

HEY, I'm in this new band that buys albums the day they come out and then perform them in their entirety by hitting "PLAY" just once on a boombox. We are from Baltimore, you've prolly heard about us.

Posted by One Hit Wunderzzz | August 8, 2007 2:30 PM

are you people serious? a band who obviously has NO talent whatsoever (are there even LYRICS besides bah bah bah?) therefore has twenty members jumping around like idiots, wearing costumes and throwing confetti is better than blonde redhead?
im from barcelona is a COMPLETE gimmick. lap it up, doggies.

Posted by allison | August 8, 2007 2:35 PM

Oh yeah? At least they don't pretend to be what they're not, phalluson!

Posted by Anonymous | August 8, 2007 3:49 PM

blonde redhead have been using backing tracks for a while now, i'm pretty sure since right before Misery Is A Butterfly came out, when they started experimenting with pre-recorded backing percussion.

yes, they use too many samples now. lots of times it throws the band way off (check out their performance upon the release of 23 at the apple instore: http://modestmicah.livejournal.com/2007/04/11/)but that doesn't mean their not still playing the music. the core of BRH's songs are their intensely strong melodies. those are still played by the band and the rest as far as i'm concerned, are just bells and whistles. but it's those magic tricks that the band loves, clearly.

the progression their music has taken is increasingly more intricate, needing more people on stage. but yeah, if you watch them while they play they already have a languange they use and a code as artists together on stage; it would be hard to bring someone new in at this point. at the aforementioned apple instore, they played with their touring bassist, who was noticeably not a part of their dynamic.

the music is still great, they just need to rewrite the songs for the stage. if you've seen them play the older stuff, you know how intense it can be stripped down. all in all, the band is great and the show is free. if you hate to see how it's done, close your eyes.

and as a matter of personal opinion, they got the perfect mix of backing tracks and live instrumentation down with their live versions of Falling Man. just sayin.

Posted by micah welner | August 9, 2007 10:26 AM

micah's comment hopefully just ended this "debate"

yayy

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2007 2:27 PM

so true.

they are a great band, indeed, but i think the songs would be better served - in a live setting -if they were reworked to a more raw and spontaneous way.

Posted by Anonymous | August 9, 2007 2:59 PM