Posted in music | pictures on August 13, 2007

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Jefferson stopped by the Thermals and Ted Leo & The Pharmacists show at McCarren Pool on Sunday (while I was in a plane on my way home from Oslo) (Aug 12, 2007). More Ted photos below....

it was Dave Lerner's last show with the band
Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

Not Ted Leo...

Paul jumping

Ted Leo and the Pharmacists

...in an afternoon set entitled "Triumph." Ted Leo is a joy and is as inspired a performer as they come.

Posted by dadadave | August 13, 2007 2:05 PM

To be honest I'm not much of a Ted Leo fan and I've seen them live before... plus I had a terrible cold and couldn't really enjoy myself much at the pool but despite all that it was a very good show. He really just killed.

Posted by Smug Eric | August 13, 2007 2:06 PM

Aren't those the dudes from the White Rabbits in the middle?

Also, I hadn't heard that Dave Lerner is leaving the band- this is an awful shame, he is an amazing bassist.

Posted by Sam | August 13, 2007 2:10 PM

irds of Avalon - I paid attention to the kickball instead.

Thermals - V. good, this band brings out the lesbians in droves.

Ted Leo - Great as usual. This was the first time I've seen them with the second guitarist, who seemed kind of unnecessary. Before the encore Ted announced that Dave (bassist) is leaving the band. Big bumout.

In no order:
Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone
Me and Mia
The Angels' Share
Counting Down the Hours
Little Dawn (broke into Daft Punk "One More Time")
Parallel or Together
Dial Up
Timorous Me
Stove By a Whale (At Dave's request to close)
Army Bound
Colleen
A Bottle of Buckie
Bomb Repeat Bomb

Maybe two more off Living with the Living, I don't know because I never listen to that.

Posted by Devin | August 13, 2007 2:12 PM

dig that helio bouncing ball!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 2:14 PM

Posted by c | August 13, 2007 2:23 PM

"Maybe two more off Living with the Living, I don't know because I never listen to that"

he also did Sons of Cain, The Unwanted Things, Annunciation Day, and (I believe) Who Do You Love?
I don't remember hearing Parallel or Together, though.

Posted by Matt | August 13, 2007 2:32 PM

Some bands are just better suited for the pool shows than others - Ted Leo was a perfect choice. His set was very good and balanced the song choices between his many great albums and his most recent not-great one.

Dave Lerner leaving the band was a sad surprise :(

The Daft Punk cover was a good surprise.

But best of all, Ted played Stove by a Whale to close out the encore, which was the song I have wanted to hear live at the four or five Ted Leo shows I have gone to - but had never heard it until yesterday! I was pssssyyyyyched!

Posted by Paul | August 13, 2007 2:39 PM

Dave Lerner leaving = total bummer.

Posted by Sean | August 13, 2007 2:41 PM

"Anyone know what was up with that chick stripping in the back corner of the stage?"

That was just really bizarre.

Ted & band are playing Webster on 12/5 -- $19.99.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 2:47 PM

hey whats the deal with those dinosaur jr. tickets they were handing out??

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 2:54 PM

Could that sky be any blue-er?

Posted by no relation to wilco | August 13, 2007 3:03 PM

Dude, the circus-punk marching band kicked major ass. I really loved them. It felt very genuine and sincere and because it wasn't blasted through a PA, just the right volume. Viva Mucca Pazza!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 3:15 PM

I'm pretty sure he played Biomusicology too. Haven't heard him play that one in a while.

Posted by Dave | August 13, 2007 3:19 PM

does anyone know the last song he played in the set before the encore? didn't recognize it, but really liked it.

Posted by sean t | August 13, 2007 3:23 PM

They also played the Lost brigade

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 3:35 PM

They did play Biomusicology. Video of that song and Me And Mia at my blog.

"Some bands are just better suited for the pool shows than others - Ted Leo was a perfect choice.

Dave Lerner leaving the band was a sad surprise :(

The Daft Punk cover was a good surprise."

- Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

"But best of all, Ted played Stove by a Whale to close out the encore."

- HELL YES.

Posted by Chris | August 13, 2007 3:47 PM

was the girl stripping the same girl who decided to turn around and slap her own ass repeatedly?

Posted by amber | August 13, 2007 3:55 PM

The last song in the set was the magnificent "Rapports Lament: I Never Gave Up" off the Mo Living EP. When he started playing it, I kind of freaked out. A wonderful surprise. That whole set was top shelf. Congrats Ted Leo. Good travels to you Dave. You have fought hard.

Posted by bbbb | August 13, 2007 3:55 PM

how were the lines getting in to the show?

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 4:06 PM

OMG....PAUL HANDJOBS is SOOOOOOOOOOOO HOTTTTTT!

Posted by Ralphie: The Hammer | August 13, 2007 4:21 PM

Sorry, you guys are right about Biomusicology and not Parallel or Together. I got a little mixed up trying to do that from memory.

The lines weren't bad when I got there around three.

It's a real bummer about Dave. I've seen the Pharmacists play more than any other band at this point and it won't quite be the same.

None of my friends ever agree with me when I try to say how awesome "Stove by a Whale" is, so I felt vindicated.

Posted by Devin | August 13, 2007 4:25 PM

Does anyone else find hipster marching bands just sort of annoying? If they are your thing, that's cool; I just personally don't get the appeal.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 4:34 PM

No Culture Icons
God and Country
It's Trivia
Let Your Earth Quake, Baby
Our Power Doesn't Run on Nothing
A Pillar of Salt
Big Dipper (Built to Spill cover)
Returning to the Fold

setlist for ted leo:

Sons of Cain
Dial Up
Me and Mia
Army Bound
The Angels' Share
Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone?
Annunciation Day / Born on Christmas Day
Bomb. Repeat. Bomb.
Counting Down the Hours
Little Dawn / One More Time (Daft Punk cover)
Colleen
A Bottle of Buckie
The Unwanted Things
Who Do You Love?
Timorous Me
Rappaport's Testament: I Never Gave Up

Encore:
Biomusicology
Stove by a Whale

..for those who were wondering

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 4:34 PM

ted leo played an awesome set. i was on stage for the set taking pictures. i got to talk to him numerous too. he really is such a nice guy.

the pictures are at my flickr if anyone would like to see:

Posted by ellisa | August 13, 2007 4:40 PM

they were passing out dinosaur jr tix?!?!

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 4:54 PM

yes free tix to the show at webster hall. i have no idea why... or what the deal is...

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 5:12 PM

what a great summer show, I was in such a good mood afterwards. Ted Leo has this casually heroic thing about him, he's got the whole punk with responsibility thing going, he parties, and he makes you feel good about being a liberal, not just angry or disenfranchised. I would be really dissapointed if he did something douchy. Sorry for the pressure Ted.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 5:23 PM

He is a legitimately great dude and funny. I want him to play my wedding.

Posted by Devin | August 13, 2007 5:28 PM

"Ted Leo has this casually heroic thing about him."

This is precisely why I've always loved this guy. Well, that and great hooks.

But we probably shouldn't discuss it too much, lest we ruin it.

Posted by little gidding | August 13, 2007 5:50 PM

Anon4:34 has the thermals setlist in the wrong order (for the anal people like me who care):

This is the correct order:

I Might Need You To Kill
Let Your Earth Quake, Baby
A Pillar of Salt
Our Power Doesn't Run on Nothing
Big Dipper (BTS)
Returning to the Fold

Posted by setman | August 13, 2007 6:00 PM

Wow, who'd a thunk that Dave would leave at this point in the game. They have so much more touring left! But I guess that can get exhausting.

Hey, while you are reading this, why not go here and listen to my songs. My band opened for Ted Leo once. Maybe you will like my songs too!

Posted by Yoni Gordon | August 13, 2007 6:37 PM

thank you, i constructed the thermals one from memory as i accidentally deleted it off my phone.

the ted leo one is exact though.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 7:31 PM

no one's mentioned he's wearing an econochrist tshirt. what's wrong with you people?

Posted by d | August 13, 2007 7:38 PM

hey did anyone notice he's wearing an econochrist shirt?

Posted by c | August 13, 2007 7:44 PM

great day, great show, amazing encore. he played stove by a whale! for my birthday too, what a guy

Posted by k | August 13, 2007 8:09 PM

I've known Ted since 1991 (Chisel days in South Bend, IN.) More pics here: http://www.feastofmusic.com/feast_of_music/2007/08/post-2.html

Posted by Feast of Music | August 13, 2007 9:43 PM

he was really funny, i enjoyed the 'regional humor' being from jersey and all.

Posted by mandy | August 13, 2007 9:52 PM

Soooo awesome

Posted by jennpelly | August 13, 2007 11:09 PM

Dave Lerner clearly pushed out for having way too much hair. Caveman!

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2007 12:44 AM

"The woman stripping was very odd. It looked like they were filming a Whitesnake video."

LOL, yeah that was silly. what was that big piece of leather she had over her tits?

Posted by Anonymous | August 14, 2007 1:33 AM

"None of my friends ever agree with me when I try to say how awesome "Stove by a Whale" is"

Time to get new friends ;)

Did anyone happen to get a video of Stove by a Whale? The Biomusicology video linked further up the page is pretty good!

Posted by Paul | August 14, 2007 8:26 AM

Morris County Youth Crew, baby!

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2007 12:43 PM