Posted in music on August 10, 2007

(CRED)
The Hold steady @ Prospect Park

BIG rock show in Brooklyn's beautiful Prospect Park Thursday night, drawing hundreds (nearly 1000?) to the bandshell to Celebrate Brooklyn and watch three fine rock bands twirl their guitars, sing their songs and pump the kids full of beer and amplification. Good times all around.

'Twas a sit down fest for The Teenage Prayers and The Big Sleep (more a result of the summer relaxed evening fun), but a stand-up arena rock show (as the crowd swelled) for The Hold Steady. And rightfully so. [Waved Rumor]

i just didnt dig the hold steady at all. i saw them at cbgbs and they were fun but in a big setting, it just didnt do much for me.

crowd was wack...as expected. drunk fratty kids surrounded me for the 5 songs i stayed for.

went to the gate and drank scotch instead...good times.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 9:22 AM

The Hold Shitty sucks, Big Shit-in-your-Sleep sucks, Teenage Shitters suck, I suck, my life sucks, 9-11 sucks, Amurcah sucks, Fellini sucks, Super Mario brothers sucks, burrowing owls suck, Madagascar in its entirety sucks, the planet mercury sucks, and i am lonely anyone want to split a burger

Posted by THE BIG SHITTER | August 10, 2007 9:47 AM

I think The Hold Steady put on a great show as usual, but I agree that it was hard to get into because of the huge amount of douchebags in the audience.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 9:47 AM

Loved the show.

Can't say I saw too many douchbags as mentioned above, but then I watched just behind the front pit.

Just love this band.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 9:53 AM

Good show for the price. Not too crowded - plenty of picnic room in the back. A lame selection of overpriced beer - but no surprise there. Sound and lights were much better than I remembered from the BSS show in Prospect Park last year.

Posted by drewo | August 10, 2007 10:11 AM

are they playing any new songs yet or is it the same basic set they have been touring on all year?

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 10:15 AM

It was an amazing show, despite the douche bag drunken frat idiots yelling off key the wrong lyrics.

I can't wait to see them again...

Posted by John Huntington | August 10, 2007 10:25 AM

The Teenage Prayers really do suck ass. Why were they even on the bill? That guy's voice is fucking awful.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 10:42 AM

some of the worst music I've heard in a while... the most derivative guitar riffs ever! Frat boy dreamscapes.

Posted by mm good | August 10, 2007 11:20 AM

everyone needs to stop complaining... all i have heard is wah wah wah. the show wont be good unless you try and make it. while you all stood and complained i busted through the front gate and had a great time up front. shut up and do something, i am tired of hearing everyone say how shitty things are when they do nothing to try and improve it.

Posted by hihowareyou | August 10, 2007 11:52 AM

yeah and you stepped on my penny loafers when you ran by!

Posted by mm good | August 10, 2007 12:07 PM

you're all a bunch of f'in posers who forgot how to enjoy a good rock show - or probably didn't know how to in the first place.

the hold steady put on a great show and the crowd was into it. yes, dancing, and yelling the (sometimes wrong) lyrics, and often out of key.

yes, i know, we're supposed to stand there and begrudgingly tap a toe while we stroke our soul patches and act all angsty-and shit....god forbid we risk exposing ourselves as actual sweaty, fucking humans who like to dance and emote. you don't even know who ron gardenhire is - don't bring that weak shit in here.

Posted by David | August 10, 2007 12:11 PM

The show was fantastic. It's great to see a band that is so excited to be playing music. As Craig said, there is genuine joy in what they do, and it comes across in their show.
Also, douchebag fratboys singing off key may be annoying, but at least they are having a good time. Are they any worse than douchebag hipsters looking for a reason to be miserable?

Posted by Patrick | August 10, 2007 12:11 PM

mika free show today at highline... at 1pm.

Posted by mika is here | August 10, 2007 12:13 PM

you fools, you should have been at keyspan last night

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 12:38 PM

i agree i think douchebag hipsters who look like they are miserable...and probably are miserable fucks...are much worse than a drunken frat boy.

positive positive

Posted by george | August 10, 2007 12:42 PM

If I had my ipod with me and listened to it during the Teenage Prayers set, that would have improved things.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 12:54 PM

i love that people are complaing abotu peopel singing along to the hold steady "off key". last i checked Craig Finn sings every song in the same monotone anyway.. why does the Hold Steady hate melody?

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 12:57 PM

Sure glad I went to Daft Punk! You guys make this show sound like the 10th circle of hell.

And who the fuck is posting shit about Mika shows on here? Ewwwwwwwww.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 1:17 PM

The Hold Steady were fucking awesome. They just exploded with energy. When they came on and everyone (including myself) ran up front and started jumping up and down and singing along. It was just fucking incredible.

I've been to so many moper shows in the past year or two, what a breath of fresh air to have a show to be able to go nuts at. Yeah it's riff-rock Americana stuff, not the most "original" music ever, but the lyrics and phrasings are brilliant and the arrangements are solid.

Honestly I've never heard Daft Punk so I can't compare, I'm sure all their fans had a great time last night. But I'd been waiting to see Hold Steady all summer and they didn't let me down.

Posted by triangle, motherfucker! | August 10, 2007 1:19 PM

Fuck the haters, it was a great rock and roll show.

My take & pics:

Posted by DJA | August 10, 2007 1:22 PM

I know who ron gardenhire is, so you don't bring the weak shit. he once blamed his sucky team losing to the yankees on the fact that "god bless america" went on too long. like the hold steady, he's pure ass.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 1:57 PM

Teenage Prayers kind of suck.

The Big Sleep is pretty cool.

The Hold Steady were great. I can't speak for the entire crowd, but the people up front were definitely familiar with the band, which is something you can't always say at free shows. They ripped through most of Boys and Girls in America and played some songs off Separation Sunday and Almost Killed Me as well. If you didn't enjoy yourself, I'm not sure what you were expecting from them.

Oh, and the trick at these shows is to buy the wine, not the beer. Five dollars gets you ten or twelve ounces.

Posted by Devin | August 10, 2007 1:59 PM

Actually, you can bring your own booze to the PP shows (I learned after arriving). Just not in glass containers.

Posted by drewo | August 10, 2007 2:03 PM

anybody remember: how long did the Hold Steady play? how late do they let a show go on at Prospect Park?

Posted by curves & nerves | August 10, 2007 2:08 PM

boy the net results on the ever expanding message board social experiment (both here and elsewhere) are just continually depressing. I don't know if it's a product of the anonomous medium or (dare I say it) the age of posters, but I'm really interested to know if the knee-jerk 'you suck, fans suck, this band sucks' reaction to nearly every post is a relection of a certain generation's entitlement of expression seemingly only purposed for spite... I guess I wonder if it's immature 30 year olds or immature 20 year olds that live to browbeat on these things. Or if it's just the way this internet socialization works...
Here's how I see it:
I didn't go to the Daft Punk show and I'm not a fan, but it sounds like it was incredible. I hope you went and danced your face off and maybe did some drugs and got completely transported with your friends and lovers. I think that's what the band's music is built to do for their audience.
I went to the Hold Steady show- which I also have been looking forward to all summer. The triumphant return to an (adopted) hometown after the band's been working all year on the road. I pumped my fists in the air! I sang along loudly with every athemic chorus and choppy and uncomfortable verse line in between! I looked down and noticed I was fucking playing air guitar at one point!
If you don't like this band, that's fine. They're definitely an acquired taste. But if you do like this band, and can't appreciate that this music was built to pump your fist to, sing wildly along to, and even inspire some involuntary air guitar action when it's called for, than I'm sorry, but I think you're missing the point entirely- or otherwise maybe too self aware for your own good.
I wasn't down front, but I didn't see many 'jocks' at this show, what I saw were a bunch of people having a blast along with a band that was clearly inspired to have the same kind of time.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, or just too old at 31... but this used to be what Rock N' Roll was about. And Hold Steady are a Rock N' Roll band.

Posted by mat | August 10, 2007 2:17 PM

Amen to that, Mat.

Posted by Patrick | August 10, 2007 2:30 PM

I saw both Daft Punk & Hold Steady at Lollapalooza last weekend. Both were incredible but for different reasons. Factor in the Beastie Boys and last night was just a great night for outdoor concerts in Brooklyn.

Posted by JD | August 10, 2007 2:35 PM

Saw them: lamest band ever. Insipid spawn of lame Dave Matthews and lamer Blues Traveler. Schlumpy noveau Brooklynite fans drinking Snapples and standing up in rapt attention blocking the view for the chill folks hanging on blankets and lawnchairs on the hill (go up front with the real fans). Only halfway through did I realize they were doing us a favor!

Posted by Poindexter | August 10, 2007 2:37 PM

...Big Sleep were groovy, though. Woulda stood for them if I had to.

Posted by Poindexter | August 10, 2007 3:23 PM

poindexter shut the fuck up. you just made yourself the biggest asshole in the fucking burough with your "analysis" of the show. it was fantastic and you should check your pulse.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 3:35 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 3:35 PM

Mat gets commenter of the year (Besides of course, the world famous Taco Time for Mom & Dad).

Well said, man.

Posted by Camp Tiger Claw | August 10, 2007 3:38 PM

Well argued, A.
Nice "ironic" use of quotation marks. Lemme "buy" you "a" Snapple.
Cheers. (down in front)

Posted by Poindexter | August 10, 2007 3:41 PM

Sounds like Mat couldn't afford Daft Punk tickets.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 4:35 PM

I don't understand what's so bad about Snapple

Posted by JD | August 10, 2007 4:35 PM

Agreed, Mat with one T said it perfecTly. Followed by Poindexter the Cuntly proving Mat's point. Why were you even there Poindexter? Douchebag can't even get the right 'withering and mocking' band references right. Blues Traveler? Why, cuz they used a harmonica in one song? Asswipe.

I had a great time. Seen them a bunch of times and my only complaints were that I wasn't drunk enough and I wasn't close enough. Well, that and also the fact that they completely devestate when it's a tighter smaller venue. Sounded great in the park but it's even more pure drunken smiling jumping joy at a bowery style gig.

Posted by Matt with 2 T's | August 10, 2007 4:41 PM

Mat is right on. Big Sleep sounded like every fucking boring band in the northern ghetto right now. Teenage prayers sucked, but I wish every shitty band in New York was as fun to watch as they were. If you're gonna suck, have fun for Chris'sake! Hold Steady killed. A fucking rock show. For all you future-jazz-guy-type-indie-rock-mop-headed-haters: Suck it. Wish I could have seen Daft Punk too, but shit, there wasn't a losing show in this borough last night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2007 5:31 PM

Ma2t--
Was there cuz I heard they were a good band and I remembered a friend who's introduced me to some good bands used to listen to them.
They were tighter than the first two bands, but like Blue Traveler and DMB, goofy, overly melodic and uninteresting ... IMO.
Who is Asswipe? Hold Steady harmonicist?
Cheers.

Posted by Poindexter | August 10, 2007 5:40 PM

"overly melodic"

[sigh]

Posted by DJA | August 10, 2007 6:02 PM

First row, didn't stop singing along off key, or dancing badly for the entire show. They are fantastic and I was in a sorority. I'd give the show a 10.

Posted by Jess Guy | August 10, 2007 8:38 PM

I'm a douche bag

Posted by Poindexter | August 11, 2007 3:37 AM

PD: we know.

Posted by Anonymous | August 11, 2007 7:36 AM

probably one of the worst bands ive seen all year(saw their north six gig back in janury or whenever it was). i found the little snippet of them that i saw at lolla quite revolting. i like the Stooges and Patti Smith.

Posted by nyc noise fan | August 11, 2007 10:52 AM

You Hold Steady sycophants are a right clever lot: N ur screen name, posin ur femenine hygeine products.
--Cheers.

Posted by Poindexter | August 11, 2007 3:23 PM

--Cheers.

Posted by Poindexter | August 11, 2007 3:26 PM

i was thrilled to hear "modesto"
great show, IMO...and i too was waiting all summer for this show.

whoever asked, prospect park closes at 11, the show was out a little after 10:30...the hold steady played about an hour, maybe more?

Posted by kim | August 11, 2007 3:31 PM

To The Big Shitter:
No. I do not want to split a burger. I'm a vegetarian.
Perhaps a soy dog. I've never had one.

Posted by Anonymous | August 12, 2007 11:14 PM

To the Anonymous:

I should announce that I too am a vegetarian, actually a fruitarian, & what I was thinking about the burger-splitting was not eating it, but simply cutting a patty down the middle & just watching halved beef, sketching it in oil pastels perhaps, all the while discussing some various matters, i.e., please choose one: the cosmos, insect life, emotions, amateur robotics, terror

Posted by THE BIG SHITTER | August 13, 2007 12:16 AM

To The Big Shitter:
A fruitarian? That sounds delightful!
I see what you meant about the patty. Sounds like a splendid time, though I'm not sure my artistic skills are quite up to par. Ah, but I'm sure my conversation skills will be, especially on matters of the cosmos, emotions, and amateur robotics.
Yes, it sounds like a charming time. Perhaps I can bring along my favorite collection of Tennyson poems and we can bask in their brilliance.
Cheers,
The Anonymous

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 12:38 PM

it seems like everyone justbecame obsessed with The Hold Steady out of nowhere. craziest thing, i still haven't checked them out.

Posted by Anonymous | August 13, 2007 9:53 PM

I don't know why you guys keep shitting all over the teenage prayers, they were fucking amazing, just like the hold steady. the big sleep i can do without, but hey, they still made a solid effort and can't be faulted for that.

Posted by Ed | August 14, 2007 10:46 AM

I don't know how ANY of you can say that the Teenage Prayers sucked. They were absolutely amazing--you just can't and obviously don't appreciate good music. Unbelievable music, great energy and if you actually listened to their lyrics, you'd understand how talented they are.

Posted by you are all tools | August 14, 2007 11:07 AM