Posted in MP3 | music | radio on August 29, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Two Gallants - Seems Like Home to Me (MP3) (off EP)

Two Gallants

The Brooklyn Vegan "Blog Radio" show airs on Sirius Left of Center every Wednesday at noon EST (and then again at midnight). On last week's show I was honored to have Two Gallants on as my guest.

Adam Stephens and Tyson Vogel (both Gallants) grew up together in San Francisco, started making music together at age twelve, are both really nice, and both picked most of the music we ended up playing on the show. We also played a bunch of their songs - old and new - inclduing a few tracks off their self-titled album that comes out on Saddle Creek on September 25th.

Two Gallants were in town after just finishing up a tour with Against Me! - we talked about how they were there when Tom Gabel was arrested. I tried to stay away from the played-out story about how they themselves were once arrested (and maced, etc) though.

Two Gallants' pre-Saddle Creek first-album The Throes has been re-mixed/mastered, and is being re-released, so they really have two records coming out really soon, AND they just came out with an EP. They kick off a tour with Blitzen Trapper on September 17th. Here's what we played:

Moon Mullican

BrooklynVegan Sirius Playlist (Two Gallants edition)
* Two Gallants - 'despite what you've been told’
* Animal Collectice - 'the purple bottle’
* Moon Mullican - 'new jole blon'
* Two Gallants - 'prodigal son’
* Against Me! - 'Up the cuts'
* Tom Waits - 'Old Shoes (& Picture Postcards)'
* Neil Young - 'everybody knows this is nowhere'
* Blitzen Trapper - 'Wild mountain Nation'
* Fats Waller - 'your feet's too big'
* Moondog - 'Ray Malone Softshoe'
* The Kinks - 'Alcohol’
* Two Gallants - 'Carrion Crow’
* Trainwreck Riders - 'seven by seven'
* Skip James - 'I’m so glad'
* Joanna Newson - 'colleen’
* Two Gallants - 'steady rollin'
* Waylon Jennings - 'omaha'
* Harry Nilsson - Old Forgotten Soldier'
* Songs for Moms - '1906'
* Two Gallants - 'nothing to you’
* Langhorne Slim - 'By the Time The Sun Goes Down’
* Blind Willy Mctell - 'statesboro blues'
* Townes van Zandt - 'miss carousel'
* Two Gallants - 'the deader’

originally aired Wed Aug 22, 2007

Previously
* more Two Gallants

Thank you for doing that! I absolutely love their EP!

Posted by artifact | August 29, 2007 1:34 AM

Posted by JL | August 29, 2007 9:16 AM

"hey BV -- is there any way to listen to or stream your show without subscribing to the full Sirius service? just curious, thanks."

unfortunately not. :/

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2007 9:20 AM

Do people really listen to satellite radio? I guess it doesn't make sense in NYC since most do not drive and radio here is actually good.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2007 10:33 AM

"and radio here is actually good."
Really? Do you know about any stations I don't know about? Or is the radio situation in the city significantly better than in Nassau county, where I am currently stuck? please share.

Posted by I | August 29, 2007 10:49 AM

Anon 10:33, kindly tell us what radio stations you listen to. I am a Sirius subscriber and I listen to it quite a bit at home. I suppose if your musical tastes are strictly limited to what's found on Sirius's Left of Center channel, you might be satisfied with the terrestrial radio stations at the far left end of the dial. But I prefer listening to silence than listening to commercial radio stations in NYC.

Anyway, in that photo, are the Two Gallants guys "riding" the gravestones of dead children? If they are, they're assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2007 5:18 PM

If you can't find good stations in NYC, you really ain't trying. How about:

WNYU 89.1
WSOU 89.5
W??? 90.7
WFVU 91.1
WQXR 96.3
WNYC 93.9

Stop trying to shill Sirius.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2007 5:47 PM

WNYU 89.1- to be honest, haven't listened to it in a while, but at least when I used to they only broadcasted part of the day. I should probably try listening again.

WSOU 89.5- I don't know what that is. We don't get it in Nassau.

W??? 90.7- That's WFUV. I used to listen to it a lot, and still do some, but I'm kind of sick of it. I wish their "city folk" programming was a little more diverse. I also wish they would pick better artists for "arist of the day/week/month/whatever."

WFVU 91.1- No complaints about this one.

WQXR 96.3- I prefer the public radio stations for classical music than WQXR. They tend to be a little more "daring" in what they play. And, as a bonus, they don't have commercials disguised in PSA-like form to scare all the old people listening into buying lots of medication.

WNYC 93.9 - WNYC is great.

So, we're left with some choice for classical radio and some NPR, and some WFUV and WNYU. And these stations on their own are good for what they each aim to do, but all put together I'd say this selection leaves much to be desired. At least for me.

Posted by I | August 29, 2007 7:29 PM

Wait, I just realized- the 91.1 we get out here is called WSHU. I think it broadcasts out of CT. So, I might not be thinking of the same station you're thinking of. I don't know what WFVU is.

Posted by I | August 29, 2007 7:39 PM

"If you can't find good stations in NYC, you really ain't trying."

Good by YOUR standards. I prefer music that's not played (or rarely played) on any of those stations. Personally, I am (quite) willing to shell out the money for satellite radio, so piss off.

Posted by Anonymous | August 29, 2007 9:43 PM

WKCR People!

88.9 fm

the best radio station I have ever heard anywhere. so many different great programs.

i have a list of my favorite shows:

Tennessee Border - old country- Sunday 12-2p
Raag Aur Taal - Indian Music- Sunday 7-9p
Tuesday's Just as Bad - old Electric Blues - Tuesday 11:30-1am
Night Train - old Soul - Tuesday 1am - 4am
Transfigured Night - Weird avant garde - M W F 1am - 4am

They play alot of jazz during the day and alot of classical in the morning.

Enjoy!

Posted by a good musician you know | August 30, 2007 12:33 AM

Did 2Gs play any songs "live" during the show? If so, can we hear?

Posted by ryan | September 7, 2007 4:05 PM