Posted in music | tour dates | venues on September 5, 2007

opening tonight? (via Gothamist)
Music Hall of Williamsburg

The new Music Hall of Williamsburg was supposed to open last night with a show by Patti Smith. As you know, it didn't. The new first show at the new venue is set to start at 7PM tonight (in five hours). Tour-mates David Dondero, Matt & Kim and Against Me! are all on the bill, and it is sold out. So far, it's not cancelled, but according to Gothamist:

What we do know is that construction is still going on. We went over there less than an hour ago and as you can see from our pics -- the venue is still being built. We snuck inside for a minute and, granted we're no construction experts, we don't think there is any way this place is opening tonight. Looks like once it does, though, it'll be a nice space.
Stay tuned.

In the meantime, Against Me!'s next planned NYC show has been revealed- November 17th at the OTHER new Bowery Presents venue (Terminal 5 - which is set to open in October). Tickets go on sale Friday. A video from Against Me!'s recent Letterman appearance, and all tour dates, below....

Against Me! - 2007 Tour Dates
Oct 29 - Concorde II Brighton
Oct 30 - Academy 3 Manchester
Oct 31 - Academy 2 Birmingham, West Midlands
Nov 1 - Electric Ballroom London
Nov 3 - Asbury Park Convention Hall Asbury Park, New Jersey
Nov 17 - Terminal 5, NY, NY

god, the quality of so called punk rock has totally declined over the years huh?

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 2:26 PM

They don't claim to be a punk-rock band (anymore). This song is admittedly pretty silly, but the lameness of the refrain is actually part of the overall message of the song. Is it okay to write a crappy song just to make a point about how crappy mainstream music is? That's a matter for debate.

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 2:49 PM

AM! is not the same band they were five years ago. Just in case that wasn't clear from listening to New Wave, they've made sure to say something to that effect in every interview they've given recently. That's a shame, because AM! used to be fucking fantastic. They still put on a great show, though.

The new album just isn't any good. Lyrically, it doesn't hold a candle to anything else they've released and their sound has been polished to the point where it no longer has anything unique about it. This would seem to be the kind of stuff the hipsters sneer at, but damned if it's not catching on with the indie kids. Just look at how many times they've been mentioned on this blog. If you had told me three years ago that AM! would get covered regularly on Brooklyn fucking Vegan, I would have laughed in your face.

If New Wave is what put them on your radar, do yourself a favor and listen to the other three full lengths.

Posted by sdp | September 5, 2007 3:08 PM

Unfortunately that's a terrible song, but Against Me! are still a great band. And whether or not they claim the label, they're still more "punk" than 95% of bands that actually do claim to be punk.

Posted by John B. | September 5, 2007 3:10 PM

I just called the Mercury lounge, they said everything is ready for tonight. lets see if this happens

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 4:49 PM

I wonder if Tom will choke anyone tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 5:52 PM

where will they move this if it can't happen at the Hall? they can't do a different date like they did with Patti

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 6:02 PM

just back from the show....it was super sweet! the venue isn't 100% done yet, but in solid shape and can't wait to see more shows in this space. for as much as people bitched about it opening a day late it's a far nicer and better venue (in every sense) then plenty of other "venues" i've been to in BK.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 1:23 AM

The venue is nice, set up just like Bowery Ballroom and everything is brand new but sort of corny--leather couches, etc. It's a bit too slick and polished and made me miss the old Northsix. Also, the bathrooms are oddly situated right under the drums so it sounds like the floors are going to collapse. The security guys were assholes and gave a lot of people grief over minor bullshit. Honestly, I would probably only return there for bands I really really love who I couldn't see anywhere else--it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Posted by erikka | September 6, 2007 9:17 AM

Bowery Ballroom security are thugs, and there are too many of them--they get bored and start pulling power trips for no reason. I was upstairs at the Bowery once, and one security guard came by and turned off the light for the little corner table area. Five minutes later, another guard comes by all huffy because we were sitting in a dark corner, chiding us for trying to hide something. Despite our denials, she turned the light back on and gave us a warning not to turn if off again. It was bizarre.

I'm not surprised Bowery Presents brought the same morons over to Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 9:31 AM

really??

usually security guards in ny are super nice guys, future ph.d's, preschool teachers, librarians, etc.

i find it hard to believe that anybody who seeks out a job as security guard would "start pulling power trips for no reason"...just doesn't seem to fit

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 9:39 AM

I completely disagree that Bowery security guards are assholes, in fact they are the most pleasant I have dealt with and I am there quite often. If the security are assholes at Music Hall then it more resembles Webster than Bowery in that aspect.

If you are having a problem with security at Bowery it is MORE THAN LIKELY your fault.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 10:37 AM

thank you mr. bowery for the you were asking for it defense

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 11:45 AM

Are you sure the asshole security guards weren't Against Me? Did they choke you?

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 11:49 AM

i hate venues that haven't even been dreamt of yet.

and also every band that will ever play any venue that will eventually open.

Posted by burp! | September 6, 2007 3:17 PM

I cant stand the Bowery ballroom the people who run it are creeps and thugs and rascists
I only went when I had to to shoot a show for a promoter and they gave me grief at the door and you cant smoke out side in frount you have to go 19 feet away they just make up rules
WHAT I REALLY WANNA KNOW IS
WHere is TERMINAL 5
and how is the place
what is there camera policy most of all and how is there security additude
Im going NEW YEARS EVE to see GORGOL BORDELLO
and I have to photograph it
do I have to hide my cameras
do they let point and shoot digis and what about SLRS
I just want to know what I have to smuggel in
unless I can get pit passes
and who do u contact about that
can anyone email me the info at
do11214@aol.com in subject write
terminal5 GORGOL BORDELO and it wont get spammed or lost deleated
ID REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR INFORMATION AND EXPERIANCES!
thanks alot
by the way I am a vegan and vegan chef and you can see tons of my vegan creations on FLICKR
under the name Debbie C.B.'s in my food set
plus my street rocker and barbie freaky doll sets
thanks
HAPPY HOILIDAYS!

Posted by Debbie C.B.'s | November 30, 2007 1:10 PM

Debbie,

after your stupid complaints here, I'm sure Terminal 5 would love to offer you a photo pass! You are obviously an idiot!
To say of the Bowery Ballroom that "the people who run it are creeps and thugs and rascists" is insane. You are obviously a fucking psycho. No wonder why you were hassled there, I have no doubt that you must have said something completely insane to them.

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007 1:27 PM

"Debbie C.B." is actually Courtney Love.

Posted by Law & Order: BV | November 30, 2007 1:42 PM