Posted in music | pictures on September 27, 2007

Bat For Lashes @ Bowery Ballroom, NYC - Sept 25, 2007 (CRED)
Bat For Lashes @ Bowery Ballroom

I wasn't totally sold on Bat For Lashes before the Bowery show, and I basically feel the same way after seeing them (or "her" as many people refer to them). Natasha Khan is very talented....

NATASHA Khan, the 27-year-old Brit who is Bat for Lashes, has been compared to PJ Harvey, Siouxsie Sioux, Kate Bush and Bjork. Bjork herself has offered effusive praise for Khan; so have Thom Yorke and Devendra Banhart. [The Age]
...., but much of the show left me a little bored. At least one song was clearly a hit, a bunch of others were great, but then there were some that had me daydreaming. The mixed - not your typical "indie" - crowd seemed mostly into the show though - applauding loudly, and my companion even loved it. Maybe I'm just a grump.

She (they) played one cover. At the time I didn't realize it must have been her famous cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Im on Fire". (was it?)

Previously
* Bat For Lashes - more 2007 Tour Dates
* 2007 Mercury Prize nominees ++++++ BAT FOR LASHES
* Blitzen Trapper & Bat For Lashes

Worst

band name

EVER!!!

Posted by Wackamole | September 27, 2007 12:42 PM

cue Abe's comments on how he raged 'the Lash'...backstage??

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2007 12:47 PM

i went for lewis & clarke, left after two bat for lashes songs. im surprised the show sold out.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2007 12:56 PM

I feel the same. After 5 songs of hers at Knitting Factory I either had to get drunk or get out. I chose to get out. She's talented but one note.

Posted by Mike | September 27, 2007 1:15 PM

why do all hot indie rock girls insist on dressing like madrigals? BAD LOOK.

Posted by nick | September 27, 2007 1:15 PM

I agree Bats for Lashes are just OK. I like Mariee Sioux or Alela Diane's music much better.

Mariee Sioux: http://www.kevchino.com/media/131
Alela Diane: http://www.myspace.com/alelamusic

. . both ladies music is found on the Grass Roots Record Comp!

~Kevchino

Posted by Kevchino | September 27, 2007 1:42 PM

Horrible band.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2007 1:54 PM

i really liked them. you didn't dig her big stick?

i am genuinely surprised about the ambivalence here...

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2007 1:59 PM

she's fucking terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2007 2:04 PM

Me too, I think they are great.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2007 2:04 PM

it wasn't the springsteen cover. didn't recognize it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2007 2:13 PM

Some little artist whose name is Tom Waits...song was "Lonley". If any of you hipsters who read this site have a taste in music start getting familiar with artists that trully impact the world of music. It was good to know Natasha respects the man.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2007 2:21 PM

Not TERRIBLE, but yes gets real boring very quicklike. She has a beautiful voice but she needs to move out the mystical forest and go shack up in the South Bronx and smoke blunts with Papi at the bodega.

Posted by Pussy Willow | September 27, 2007 2:23 PM

"Some little artist whose name is Tom Waits...song was "Lonley"."

thanks

Posted by brooklynvegan | September 27, 2007 2:26 PM

I'd think the show sold out because people like her, for whatever reason, whether you or anyone commenting agrees or understands why. And yes, the cover was Tom Waits' "Lonely." No sheets soaked in the lyrics to that one--you've heard the Boss, right? You are perfectly entitled to be bored at the show, but the Bowery was packed with people who were completely into it. Can't deny that.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2007 2:26 PM

Yo ANON 2:21pm.. Shad Ep Dummy!!

Posted by KRONKO | September 27, 2007 2:27 PM

I like her. Cover not Springsteen, or, at any rate, not "I'm on Fire."

How exactly does one dress like a madrigal?

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2007 2:29 PM

I'm not sure whether or not I like her music, but I, for one, am seriously attracted to her. She's gorgeous.

Posted by Hunter | September 27, 2007 2:37 PM

so i totally....oh...nevermind....

Posted by abe | September 27, 2007 3:15 PM

I loved, loved, loved it. Thought she was fantastic and her band is also extremely talented. I feel sorry for those who weren't into it.

Posted by Shana | September 27, 2007 5:11 PM

Wow. You guys are crazy. This chick Natasha, and Bat For Lashes are awesome. Have you guys listened to Fur and Gold right through? Ok, I will admit, it's not THE GREATEST record fo all time, but man I think it deserves a lot more credit and respect than you guys are giving it. Do we have a problem with young idealist/child images? Is that the problem? Maybe it's too early for some of you to recognize a good thing. I only hope they continue to progress more. Just ask Thom Yorke, David Byrne and a slew of other music professionals (including the nominating committee of the Mercury Prize) and they will tell you the same: these chicks are rad...

Lewis and Clarke were the joke. Tell that guy to lay off the acid, and stop singing what sounded like the same song over and over. Clarke (or, the female of the band)was very talented but knew the show was a bust. Good luck to 'em. They need it..

Posted by Mike | September 28, 2007 8:38 AM

Shana-
Me too. I loved it, loved it, loved it. God bless you sister.

Posted by Mike | September 28, 2007 8:41 AM

I admit that "Fur and Gold" is a bit uneven, but woe be upon us for expecting an artist to hit one out of the park on the first try. Most of the songs on the album are instantly memorable, filled with lush melody and atmosphere. The audience at the Bowery was totally rapt with attention and loving every minute of it. The girls in the band (yes, it's not just Natasha!) are each musical wunderkids and totally at the top of their craft.

Posted by Annonymous | September 28, 2007 9:30 AM

Posted by Annonymous | September 28, 2007 9:31 AM

I actually agree with bv. I had better time listening to her CD. She was just so happy and adorable at the show, and in turn I didn't feel her delivery was impactful, not that happiness is a crime...

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2007 9:36 AM

But what was UP with that guy that kept yelling at her and being all kinds of ridiculous?? He was so rude and obnoxious. I felt so embarrassed for the people with him, yet not one of them told him to shut the f up.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2007 12:53 PM

Or the two wasted sing along girls behind me who also talked loudly during each song...

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2007 3:47 PM

i think she's alright live, but I could do without the costumes and faux-weirdness. I met her once and she's not weird, so just chill out and play some music and forget about the glitters and feathers and shit. I know in England they love that gimmicky shit, but seriously just focus on performing here and forget the diversionary tactics

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2007 4:05 PM

best new band of the year bat for lashes , said that for Arcade fire, devendra banhart too saw them at the troubadour in los angeles dreamy pop band sho gazer style

Posted by lahipster | October 18, 2007 12:44 AM