Posted in music | venues on September 6, 2007

Against Me! @ MHOW, Brooklyn, NYC - Sept 05, 2007 (CRED)
Against Me! @ The Music Hall of Williamsburg

Though not completely finished inside, the new Brooklyn venue called Music Hall of Williamsburg opened with a show by David Dondero, Matt & Kim, and Against Me! last night. Already there are conflicting viewpoints in the comments. One positive:

just back from the show....it was super sweet! the venue isn't 100% done yet, but in solid shape and can't wait to see more shows in this space. for as much as people bitched about it opening a day late it's a far nicer and better venue (in every sense) then plenty of other "venues" i've been to in BK.
One sort of negative:
The venue is nice, set up just like Bowery Ballroom and everything is brand new but sort of corny--leather couches, etc. It's a bit too slick and polished and made me miss the old Northsix. Also, the bathrooms are oddly situated right under the drums so it sounds like the floors are going to collapse. The security guys were assholes and gave a lot of people grief over minor bullshit. Honestly, I would probably only return there for bands I really really love who I couldn't see anywhere else--it wasn't a pleasant experience.
The Patti Smith show has been rescheduled for tonight (Sept 6, 2007).

is the basement still intact?
looks okay, but i'm gonna miss the 10 dollar shows.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 9:50 AM

I went. It was one of the same security guards from Bowery (tall, wide, bald, black dude). He's an asshole at Bowery, he's an asshole at MHOW. Nothing new there. The space basically mirrors Bowery Ballroom (basement lounge with horseshoe bar, low tables with candles and bathrooms, Middle Level (stage, but it differs from Bowery because the soundboard is on this level as well as an area in the back with merch and another bar) Upper Level (wrap around balcony with a back area not too different from Irving, seating and a big bar). Still rough around the edges but when this place is totally done, it's going to be sick.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 10:01 AM

stop getting on the security guards asses...they are doing what they are told to do...and punk kids like you guys wont say shit to them...you will just come on bv to cry

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 10:23 AM

"tall, wide, bald, black dude"

You just described 95% of the bouncers in this city. How can you be sure you saw him at the Bowery?

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 10:23 AM

"(VIP only) balcony "

Lame hipster fucks who criticize gentrification are all too eager to to tell everone that they were in the "VIP only balcony" area. barf

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 10:29 AM

The bouncer that is always out front of Bowery is actually--if not outgoing or whatever (and why would he be?)--really helpful. He has given me the straight story on "sold out" shows there before I ended up getting into, by letting me know if/when the house will sell extra tickets and at what time, etc. Although: there is one dude at Irving Plaza who, particularly during the CMJ Marathon, is super considerate.

Posted by Greg | September 6, 2007 10:34 AM

Against Me! kicked fucking ass last night. Great band.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 10:38 AM

His name is Sam and he is indeed a nice guy.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 10:40 AM

worst bouncers = Studio B

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 10:53 AM

Greg is totally right. the regular door guy at the bowery is tops.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 10:58 AM

>>"It was one of the same security guards from Bowery (tall, wide, bald, black dude). He's an asshole at Bowery, he's an asshole at MHOW."

>>"The bouncer that is always out front of Bowery is actually--if not outgoing or whatever (and why would he be?)--really helpful."

sadly, some people don't understand that if they're respectful towards others, others are respectful back.

the ones that do (they have what is known as "common sense" which is getting to be quite rare nowadays) are people that should be your friends.

Posted by mat | September 6, 2007 10:59 AM

"The security guys were assholes and gave a lot of people grief over minor bullshit."

Wow! That sounds just like the Bowery Ballroom!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 11:20 AM

yes yes, but how was the SHOW?

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 11:30 AM

i dont know what the hell you people are talking about. any time ive been to bowery ballroom it was only two dudes one short and fat the other tall and skinny and they didnt give shit to anyone. and the door was all right as well.

unless you mean they gave you shit about fake ids or sneaking alcohol inside...

Posted by occasionally goes to bowery | September 6, 2007 11:35 AM

lightyears better than north6

Posted by edan | September 6, 2007 11:36 AM

I think the bouncers at Bowery (and Mercury Lounge) are really nice. Of course, if you throw attitude at them (or try to pull something), they're going to push back. Remember the bouncers at Webster Hall when ClearChannel ran it? Those guys were dicks. The Bowery boys are gentlemen.

Posted by bill p | September 6, 2007 11:50 AM

did Tom choke anyone? did they talk about selling out?

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 11:56 AM

Agreed. Bowery bouncers are cool as shit.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 11:56 AM

Never had a problem with the Bowery Bouncers, pretty nice and helpful. Maybe the people that were having problems with them were doing something wrong.

More pictures of the show here.

And Against Me! OWNED as usual.

Posted by Matt | September 6, 2007 12:04 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 12:24 PM

"At the Bowery Ballroom, the bouncers inside are always nice, the ones at the door are very crass. They always have an attitude for some reason."

You are 100% right about this. They have major bad attitude.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 12:33 PM

yeah its always pleasant to be body searched by polite people against yr will just to see some music. The militarization of art in process, but most of you won't complain.

Posted by jim | September 6, 2007 12:51 PM

I don't think either the inside or outside staff are "always" nice or "always" crass. I've seen all of them be awesome and all of them be rude. Like everyone else, they have bad days.

Last time I was there, one of the outside bouncers was sweeping as people were lining up and one of the guys in line threw a cigarette butt on the ground two feet from where the bouncer was sweeping. This obvious annoyed him, so he rolled his eyes at me and said "Can you believe this guy?". The guy in line had no idea what he'd done wrong and clearly thought the bouncer was an asshole. I wanted to jam his cigarette butt up his nose.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 1:57 PM

did against me play any of their older songs offa crime or reinventing axl rose?

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 2:31 PM

they played pints of guinness, i still love you julie, baby i'm an anarchist, and walking is still honest. possibly more but i forget.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 3:02 PM

the bouncer was probably in a bad mood from dealing with the rock star that is Tom Gabel. Who knows how many people he tried to beat up? and new york has a lot more assholes than tallahassee

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 3:07 PM

I was at the show last night and spent half an hour outside watching those dick bouncers give shit to everyone. assholes.

As for Against Me, they are making it big because there were a bunch of mooks in the crowd and a couple fights broke out.

The band were amazing, as always.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 3:09 PM

matt and kim ripped. and then against me! shredded the gnar. it was awesome. plenty of old songs, and plenty of new ones.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 3:58 PM

ah, I can say that security guard from Bowery is indeed a good guy. When I was 14 he use to let me into the 16+ shows, and when I was 16 he would let me into the 18+ shows. However, he did take away my fake id once upon a time---and then let me stay for the show. It really is just about not being an asshole to bouncers and then they aren't assholes to you.

Posted by ragl | September 6, 2007 4:27 PM

I forgot to mention the sound--it was the weirdest thing of all. Next to the stage the sound was HORRIBLE--you couldn't hear any vocals whatsoever and could only hear the drums and lead guitar. At the back of the venue, crystal clear, sounded great. I spent half the show thinking they had the shittiest soundman but apparently that's just how the venue is set up.

As for the bouncers, I tried to interact with them as little as possible and watched them turn away people with tickets for various imagined offenses (e.g., they were drunk, or he'd make them stand outside for an hour and then would decide to let them in). As for smoking--forget about it. I made the mistake of going out the wrong door (no instructions posted as to the fact that there was a secondary set of doors for smokers) and they made me wait outside for 20 minutes before letting me back in, even with my stub and bracelet. Watched this happen to about 20 other people. Really unecessary.

Posted by erikka | September 6, 2007 4:30 PM

To: Anonymous (posted at 10:23 AM)

"tall, wide, bald, black dude"

*****
If it read "tall, wide, bald, white dude", something tells me you wouldn't be questioning if the poster knew it was the same guy from Bowery. I guess the entire 95% you're referring to all look alike. Bigot!

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 7:43 PM

"Next to the stage the sound was HORRIBLE--you couldn't hear any vocals whatsoever and could only hear the drums and lead guitar."

maybe you should try NOT standing in front of the guitar amp and drums next time. I know it seems complicated, but when you stand in front of them... THAT'S ALL YOU HEAR! Let's not comment about the sound sweetheart, you don't know what you're talking about. The sound was incredible... period.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 8:06 PM

"$6 beers and slightly higher-priced mixed drinks."

i think that makes it the most expensive bar in williamsburg. i hope this doesnt start a trend.

Posted by Anonymous | September 6, 2007 8:19 PM

@erikka - you should make sure you are aware of where the PA (speakers) are, and where they are pointed. i havent been inside the MHOW yet, but if you were indeed standing directly in front of the stage, there's a good chance you were standing directly below, or even in front of the main house PA. how do you expect to hear good sound when there are no speakers pointed at you? this is true of all clubs, if you want to hear good sound dont stand directly in front of the stage! youll miss the PA entirely and just hear whats coming off the stage, which is -you guessed it- drums and guitar.

Posted by Anonymous | September 7, 2007 3:06 AM

Although I think, the new space is a huge improvement from North Six, I must object to the Glass Tiles they have installed at the entrance of the building. It makes the building look like a corny joke.
The sound was decent, run by a digital sound board(which usually means cold floppy sound, but the pa speakers were top notch.

Posted by Charles | September 7, 2007 1:44 PM

I almost always stand directly in front of the stage at BB (maybe 2-3 people deep) and it sounds just fine there.

Posted by drewo | September 7, 2007 2:10 PM