Posted in music on September 5, 2007

Klaxons winning the Mercury Prize

First they get to open for Bjork, and now this! I guess I'm not the only one who's confused though.

In the weeks leading up to the awards ceremony, frontman Jamie Reynolds had admitted the band were "bewildered" by their nomination alongside the likes of last year's winners Arctic Monkeys.

But the "New Rave" group, who only formed two years ago, were not the only ones to raise an eyebrow when their debut Myths Of The Near Future scooped the £20,000 prize.

"Klaxons winning came as a total surprise, and it demonstrates once again that it's pretty impossible to second guess the judges, who always love to confound the pundits and show that they're independently minded," says HMV's Gennaro Castaldo.

Then again, I'm not sure who deserved it more.

Tags: Klaxons

*yawn*

I am not disrespecting any of the bands associated with the prize, but these made up awards have no meaning.

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 11:31 AM

I put all my money on Klaxons. I think it's one of the best albums this year.

Posted by Eduardo | September 5, 2007 11:40 AM

Congratulations are in order to London based Klaxons for winning last nights prestigous Nationwide Mercury Music Prize I think.

I am pleasantly surprised with news of the Klaxon’s victory. Singer and bass player Jamie Reynolds made perfect sense when reflecting on the judges decision,

"I think [the Mercury judges] have rewarded forward thinking music," Asked about winning over Winehouse, the band grumbled about having to answer questions about her all day. "She is fantastic, but her record is a retro record, and we have made the most forward thinking record since I don't know how long," Reynolds said.

If its true the award is to honour forward thinking music then Klaxons had it in the bag all along…its just the criteria for winners seems to change every year. Previous winners Arctic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand could hardly be described as forward thinking but their winning credentials could not be doubted.

Year after year the awards are marred with controversy - I think the board at Mercury need to clean up once and for all what the awards are supposed to reward…that way the awards might make a little bit more sense.

What do you think?

Posted by VictoriasJukebox | September 5, 2007 11:47 AM

the last few years have been so boring for the mercury prize that they are about as significant at the shortlist prize here in the states.

that award used to break bands with interesting albums...roni size, gomez's debut...now its all pop rock.

klaxons suck by the way.

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 12:10 PM

So does your mom by the way.

Klaxons rock.

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 12:21 PM

i was hoping bat for lashes would win :(

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 12:48 PM

way to c/p your fucking blog post, vicky

Posted by G3K | September 5, 2007 1:17 PM

Way to save 2 seconds of your time by not writing out "copy and paste" in your post, G3K.

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 1:37 PM

Bloc Party 2.0? Ugh.

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 1:45 PM

blogger wars...

cant anyone say anything positive?

Posted by Anonymous | September 5, 2007 2:06 PM

"can't anyone say anything positive"

not until people start realizing that their opinion isn't the end all truth.

Posted by melissa | September 6, 2007 5:47 PM

jamie t is an incredible talent. true poet. shame he didnt win.

Posted by haedn | September 8, 2007 4:19 PM

I can see no merit whatsoever in the clashing sound of the Klaxons. It's not original, it's not clever and it's not funny. It's crap. There was a very good reason why Bat For Lashes were the favourites to win. Ms. Khan and her companions have a fresh and original sound - not formulated and not aimed at any market. And people simply preferred them. So why did the judges choose the Klaxons? I'll leave that to others to decide, but maybe it has something to do with numbers with currency symbols in front.

Posted by MagicRat | September 13, 2007 2:07 PM