Posted in NYC | music | pictures on October 7, 2007

Arcade Fire @ Randalls Island

I always convince myself that a huge show is going to be bad, but Arcade Fire proved me wrong at Randall's Island last night (Oct 06, 2007). I just saw them too - at another big show in Austin (City Limits) just a few weeks ago, and I couldn't get into that one at all (not their fault). Last night I felt completely the opposite. The video screens on either side of the stage had a lot to do with it - it wasn't just any video, it was the coolest live video I ever saw broadcast at a show, and it was especially helpful if you couldn't see the stage. My only regret is running out of there so quickly, that I missed Arcade Fire coming back into the crowd for a second encore. Set list:

1. Black Mirror
2. Keep the car running
3. Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
4. No Cars Go
5. Haiti
6. I'm Sleeping in a Submarine
7. My Body is a Cage
8. Cold Wind
9. Intervention
10. Antichrist Television Blues
11. The Well and the Lighthouse
12. Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
13. Neighborhood #3 (Power Out)
14. Rebellion (Lies)
Encore:
15. Headlights Look like Diamonds
16. Wake Up
Encore 2:
17. Kiss Off (Violent Femmes)
Arcade Fire @ Randalls Island

Two more important points.

1. Win announced that they sold 25,000 tickets aka $25,000 raised for charity
  2. Win announced that they wouldn't be back to play NYC for a couple of years
More below....

I was definitely a little scared when Will Butler climbed up the side of the stage....

Arcade Fire @ Randalls Island

(I probably would have been just as scared if I was at Lollapalooza when M.I.A. did that.)

the second encore.....

Arcade Fire @ Randalls Island

LCD Soundsystem were also great, but I got there too late to see Blonde Redhead, Les Savy Fav, and Wild Light.

Though this show happened on October 6th, it was not at all related to the interactive "Neon Bible" video that was mysteriously released the same day.

Previously
* more Arcade Fire

Great show, great pictures.

However, can NO ONE spell "buses" correctly?

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 5:03 PM

"Win announced that they wouldn't be back to play NYC for a couple of years"

thats the best news ive heard all day.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 5:03 PM

'"Win announced that they wouldn't be back to play NYC for a couple of years"

"thats the best news ive heard all day."'

Why would you care? If you don't like them, DON'T GO.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 5:08 PM

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 5:14 PM

Who says "*IN* [emphasis added] the LES"?

Posted by Stickler | October 7, 2007 5:41 PM

what the heck happened to will's hair?

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 6:42 PM

whats the LES?

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 6:47 PM

lower east side? in the lower east side? makes sense to me.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 7:08 PM

If you have to ask that then you are obviously not from around here.

Posted by peter from the UWS | October 7, 2007 7:08 PM

I remember when he said they wouldnt be coming back to nyc for a couple of years and some guy booed and hes like oh boo thats real nice and went into the song, I was like whoa. haha

I hope that news isnt true though.

Posted by Daniil | October 7, 2007 8:07 PM

eh he was just kidding around. he's been saying they won't be back for a couple years the whole tour, he knows what the crowds reaction will be. we boo out of love anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 8:30 PM

i was right by the left screen where will was climbing up the tower, and the whole time i was thinking 'i'm going to be right under this guy when he plummets down'...pretty impressed that he climbed up and down so seamlessly

Posted by mbf | October 7, 2007 8:36 PM

Actually, "buses" and "busses" are both correct.

I thought Win was a douche. "I'd like to thank all the bands that played with us, it was a dream come true to play with all of them, and thank YOU for paying US to make our dream come true." What an asshat!

I also didn't appreciate that he kept starting stories about the songs, then a sentence or two into them would say, "Oh, fuck it," and launch into the song. What, we don't deserve the story?

And he was kind of a dick about not coming back to NY for two years. "Yeah, don't forget to write."

Twatwaffle.

Posted by Andrea | October 7, 2007 8:38 PM

couple of things....
firstly
"I saw the guys from Arcade Fire in the LES today and thanked them for doing what they do. I had a lot of fun yesterday. Wasn't my favorite Arcade Fire show but still a great time.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 5:14 PM"

Yeah its ON the LES and the guy is probably lying anyway. Tryin to seem cool by saying you met the band walking around is so lame

"I think we can all agree that the show as a whole, with all the opening acts and the massive stage and sound set-up, was one for the ages. It was some kind of super-gigantic spectacle of live rock music. It was the Monsters of Rock tour for the hipster generation."

This was from music snobbery's blog.More like music idiocy. What a stupid and ridiculous comment to make. No i do not think we can all agreee hahaha. Far from it. This is almost as stupid as the jerkoffs ranting about how the Daft Punk show was the greatest show ever in the history of shows. Dummy

and finally
"Win announced that they sold 25,000 tickets aka $25,000 raised for charity"

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 8:51 PM

the sound was great for that shithole, defintely better than expected. Fuck bowery presents!! terrible directions/long lines to piss/ $7 warm beers/35 minutes just to get out of the parking lot...w/all that said, the show was incredible! Im glad I passed on Sigur Ros

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 9:29 PM

self important sacred cows

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 9:40 PM

"Actually, "buses" and "busses" are both correct."

"Buses" is the much-preferred form (and "busses" is actually only in dictionaries because it is so often misspelled that way). However, it is widely regarded as incorrect because "buss" is pluralized as "busses". I hate being an English teacher sometimes.

Oh yeah, the show was pretty solid yesterday. LCD > Arcade Fire though (at least yesterday except for "Rebellion").

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 9:41 PM

"and finally
'Win announced that they sold 25,000 tickets aka $25,000 raised for charity'

well glad to hear they raised money for charity, that is always good but ooh wow 25000 ya mean their huge show only sold a little more than MSG. Wow, i think rock the bells sold like 40,000. Nice going Bowery. You really knocked the ball out of the park on this one you schmucks. Now start being more realistic about where you put these bands ya dopes."

And where else should this have been? Is there another 25,000 capacity venue we don't know about? I thought it was a good choice of venue (though a transportation nightmare) for this particular show. And why does it have to sell out to be a success?

This was definitely a successful show. Randall's > MSG and this was a good time.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 10:14 PM

what is it, like five straight arcade fire entries? no wonder everyone considers them to be one of the most overhyped bands of all-time and i don't blame them.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 10:28 PM

Fuck this band.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 10:40 PM

yet another reason to keep canadians out of the states

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 10:41 PM

Speak for yourself. If I win a MegaMillions jackpot, I'm moving to Canada.

Posted by Anonymous | October 7, 2007 11:02 PM

8:51

Why would it be ON the Lower East Side and not IN? That doesn't make a bit of sense if you're talking about a place...

Posted by Michael | October 8, 2007 12:41 AM

another 2nd encore video here:

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 1:02 AM

"Fuck bowery presents!! terrible directions/long lines to piss/ $7 warm beers/35 minutes just to get out of the parking lot"

What show were you at? The directions were exactly right, I drank cold beer and waited about 30 seconds to piss. Without bowery presents there would not have been a whole day of cool music! THIS BLOG HAS WAY TOO MANY WHINERS!

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 1:13 AM

"It was the Monsters of Rock tour for the hipster generation."

I thought the hipster was dead.

Posted by ben | October 8, 2007 1:16 AM

"Wow, i think rock the bells sold like 40,000. Nice going Bowery. You really knocked the ball out of the park on this one you schmucks. Now start being more realistic about where you put these bands ya dopes."

You are the dope! Rock The Bells had over 10 acts. Many that have been around for many years. And why compare? The AC/LCD etc show did not need anymore people. It was crowded enough. Remember, they were all reletively newer bands. 25,000 seems like a rousing success to me. I'm sure Bowery Presents feels the same way.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 1:26 AM

If you think about it, 2 years seems about right. They will be in Europe until late November, probably take a well deserverd break, who knows how long, write and record another cd and then come back.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 1:30 AM

I hated LCD Soundsystem. They were irritating and had no substance,disco sucks...Blonde Redhead was my favorite of the night, but that's just me... I don't dislike hipsters as people, but I hate how trendy the scene is. Indie music fans weren't always that way. It was like a fucking nightmare fashion show. Stop wearing bandanas around your necks because you see other people do it. think for yourselves. why dress up for shows??? Stop being so into yourselves. Hipster Generation? Give me a fucking break. There is no hipster generation . What the fuck is the basis of it then, being a snobbish douche and bragging about the shows you've been to and what part of the city you live in and why it's cooler than where you live? And if there was a "Monsters of Rock" for the hipster generation, it would consist of LEGENDARY bands.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 2:56 AM

Man, I just don't understand all this negativity. I was at the show on Saturday and it was lovely: my friends and I hung out on the grass while the first three bands played (just not really that into them; no big deal), had fun talking and I ate two corn dogs. The sky was all purple and pink. Then we moved up for LCD Soundsystem and got right near the sound booth. Not crowded at all, or not too much. LCD was great, even though I haven't listened to them too much, lots of fun. Then Arcade Fire came on and, while it wasn't quite as good as the show I saw at Radio City several months ago, many of their songs still give me chills. You just can't fight the positive feeling this band brings. Also, I thought Bowery Presents did an excellent job, as usual. Yeah, we waited awhile to use the restroom, but no biggie: it was a little mini music festival, and that's what you do at those: you wait in line to piss, have fun bitching about the people in front of you with everyone else, and you get on with it afterward. You pay a bit too much for a corn dog, a bit too much for a beer (though not insanely much; a credit to Bowery Presents), are part of huge herds of people trying to Escape from Randall's Island, but it's all in good fun and you have a good attitude and enjoy your fellow concert-goers and dig the beautiful day and night. Enough with the fucking negativity -- toward bands and toward each other on these boards: I'm sick of it. Anyone with me?

Posted by Hunter | October 8, 2007 6:36 AM

Exactly the kind of bullshit I would expect to hear from a corn dog eater.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 7:23 AM

yeah Hunter, what's up with your corn-dog obsession? who the hell eats corn dogs at a concert? sounds like you would be just as happy at a Kid Rock show. I hope they were vegan dogs : )

Posted by Tyler Durden | October 8, 2007 8:15 AM

I'm with you Hunter! It's like people forget to just have fun and be in the moment. Who cares if you didn't like a song or one of five bands. It's a collective experience with friends and city folk.

LOL @ corn dog eater though. :)

And yeah, who says ON Chinatown or ON the East Village or ON Cambodia for that matter? You see people IN places, neighborhoods, cities, etc. Why would someone lie about that? What is so hard to believe that they were just walking around the city and someone bumped into them?... watching bike polo, btw. And what makes you think someone would even care about being cool on an anonymous comment board?

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 8:16 AM

"Without bowery presents there would not have been a whole day of cool music! THIS BLOG HAS WAY TOO MANY WHINERS!"

I have plenty of amazingly cool music days without the help of Bowery Presents.

"25,000 seems like a rousing success to me. I'm sure Bowery Presents feels the same way."

"Exactly the kind of bullshit I would expect to hear from a corn dog eater."

Priceless

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 8:27 AM

"Why would someone lie about that?" "And what makes you think someone would even care about being cool on an anonymous comment board?"

You are kidding, right? Cause if you made the above statement being completely serious than i do have to ask if you were actually born yesterday

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 8:29 AM

Aw, c'mon, guys. That corn dog eater thing smarts. Hey, and they had jalapeno corn dogs! Never had one of those before and it was awesome. And no, I would not have been just as happy at a Kid Rock show. Just because someone enjoys occasional crap American fair food does not make them a redneck or a hick. Let's ease up, shall we?

RE: the whole on/in Lower East Side debate, I'll say this: I'm an editor and a writer, and some stuff you just gotta go with what sounds right: ON the Lower East Side sounds fine to me, whereas ON Chelsea, or ON Harlem, or etc., sounds ridiculous. I think the accepted rule of thumb, for whatever reason, is that if a neighborhood is commonly proceeded by a "the," you can say on OR in; either are "correct."

Posted by Hunter | October 8, 2007 9:12 AM

Oh, an obvious exception to the "the" ON/IN rule would be the East and West Villages, which obviously you don't say "on" before. I don't know why.

Posted by Hunter | October 8, 2007 9:15 AM

Brooklyn Vegan: anonymous comment board.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 9:16 AM

All a bunch of twats on here. I thought us Irish were bad. Bad internet.

Posted by Brian | October 8, 2007 10:27 AM

It's "on" because it's a "side".

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 10:40 AM

are you idiots? you say ON the lower east side, because it's SIDE. that's it.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 11:05 AM

NYC offers us a ridiculously vast array of opportunities to see really good live music, and look how some of us react. What a bunch of silly, spoiled brats (with really cool, interesting haircuts) this city produces...

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 11:08 AM

thank you for not playing NYC 8 more times before your new album AF. I loved your first album when you guys sounded less like the Eddie & the Cruisers sdtk & Bruce Springsteen

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 11:25 AM

do you ever get the feeling its the same person complaining about something all the time? or the same person who complains about the complainers? Im pretty sure its the same person. I think the ip addresses should be visible next to the post, this way lot of the bullshit that goes on on this message board would be cut the fuck down.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 11:32 AM

I agree with BV that the video mixing was the best I have ever seen. I didn't even mind not being able to see much of the stage....the screens were more than enough. LCD proved once again that they are one of the best bands performing today. It turned out so much better than I ever thought it could. I'm sorry for those who couldn't (for whatever reason) enjoy such a beautiful concert on such a wonderful day.

Posted by Mike | October 8, 2007 11:33 AM

>>>Well that would seem a rousing success to someone who has no idea of the concert industy. <<<<

Please explain the concert industry to us morons...we are dying for your anonymus expert advice..

Posted by Dave | October 8, 2007 11:36 AM

so...people are so incensed that your AF haterisms have distilled to grammatical corrections. i saw arcade fire IN (the neighborhood of) LES. they seemed happy.

none of you do. i guess we're all at work. carry on.

i liked the show. props to arcade fire being ABLE to sell out MSG and choosing a fun outdoor venue. it was nice they provided BUSES for the peasants.

we took the car service.

lastly. GO FUCKING FUCKYOURSELF AND SHUT YOUR CUNTLIPFLAPPIN GUMS YOU BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND SELF IMPORTANT DOUCHJUICERS!!

Posted by the leader of the douche juicers | October 8, 2007 12:12 PM

wheres positive pete when you need him?

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 12:21 PM

any grammar experts here, because to me it should still be "in" the lower east side, as les refers to a general area. while technically side would require "o,", les is a proper noun.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 12:23 PM

wait. sorry. i misspelled, it should be DOUCHEJUICERS.

pardon me, and honestly all, thanks for not correcting my spelling :-). its nice to figure it out myself sometimes :-).

:-).

Posted by the leader of the douche juicers | October 8, 2007 12:36 PM

Who the hell is "the hipster generation?" The trendy goofballs from Williamsburg with bedhead and white belts who talk on their cellphones at gigs?

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 3:08 PM

12:23
I still don't understand the ON/IN the Lower East Side debate... I see the Lower East Side as being a place and therefore you would be "in" the place, not "on" it. I think the confusion is that those who are saying "on" are viewing the "Lower East" as a place in which case you'd be "on" the side of the it? Yeah, I really don't get it because I've never heard anyone say "I'm in the Lower East of Manhattan!"

Regardless, instead of calling people idiots who are trying to understand, how about you do a better job of articulating your reasoning. I hope you're not a teacher 11:05.

Posted by Michael | October 8, 2007 4:53 PM

Amazing show. Can't believe folks stayed away because of their distaste for Randall's Island or some other bad attitudinal thing about AF and/or the others("been there, done that"). LCD was fabulous and Les Savy Fav was terrific too. Don't let Tim H's antics fool you...yeah he's a goof -- "Hi my name is Tim. What's yours? he asks thousands of folks -- but the music is dead serious great.

Posted by UnionLarry | October 8, 2007 5:38 PM

Anon 11:32pm, you sound like a paranoid fuck. Do you feel that people are also watching you all the time. What a fucking a-hole. I hope it is not lost on you that you posted as anon as well. If postings on a message board are really causing you this much paranoia, i suggest you find another hobby.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 6:01 PM

Hey leader of the douchejuicers,
I saw Arcade Fire on the upper west side yesterday where they were all day so you are a fucking lying poseur

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 6:02 PM

Posted by Dave | October 8, 2007 11:36 AM

Why would the guy explain it to you when you are a moron. You could not possibly understand it anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 6:07 PM

well that would explain why 7 of them were on rivington street you syphalis infected cumbubble popping hemorrhoidfaced loser. i mean laughably over confident liar.

jk. fuck you.

Posted by leader of the douchejuicers | October 8, 2007 6:31 PM

sorry again arcade fire only, brooklyn vegan specific grammar police: correct spelling is syphilis

Posted by leader of the douchejuicers | October 8, 2007 6:35 PM

Anonymous 6:02 -

What were they doing on the upper west side all day? gang banging your mother!?!?!

Posted by anonymous | October 8, 2007 6:45 PM

Hey douchejuicers, how old are you? 10, 12?

Posted by jjazznola | October 8, 2007 9:39 PM

"Anonymous 6:02 -

Posted by anonymous | October 8, 2007 6:45 PM"

Well I can't speak for that guy but im guessing that they were too tired to do that after pity banging that ugly fat hag of a mother that you have

So lame having to stoop to mother jokes Anon 6:45pm

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 9:44 PM

Photos from the second encore of Arcade Fire.

Posted by ryan muir | October 8, 2007 10:10 PM

Hi everyone!

Thank you to BV for his comment about the video edition at the concert. I'm one member of the team doing It. We are Forward Visual Communication, and we went from Spain specially for this work. It has been like a gift for us! We've enjoyed a lot.

Thank you also to Mike for his nice comment about us

Best,