Posted in TV | music on October 30, 2007

Leno"Leno has said he’s comfortable with his planned departure but, according to a report earlier this month in the Los Angeles Times, the comedian has grown reluctant to retire as host of the fabled, top-rated late-night program." [MSNBC]

Grizzly Bear is playing Conan on November 6th. Some related videos below.....

Röyksopp-Poor Leno

Pavement on Leno - "Cut Your Hair" & breaks guitar

Andrew Bird on Conan

David Bowie & Moby on Leno

Elliott Smith on Conan 3-4-1998

I was about to make a smart-alecky remark about how this is not related to music. But then, I realized that Conan has tons and tons of awesome acts (and sometimes Leno too).

Posted by Erik | October 30, 2007 10:18 AM

The Jon Stewart Show used to have all good indie acts. What a shame it was cancelled.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 10:32 AM

Now I know how the baby boomers felt when Jonny retired... being old=living through an entire late night career (of course I am not comparing Leno's ability to Carson)

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 10:45 AM

Damn right you're not

Posted by Erik | October 30, 2007 11:11 AM

This was a dumb move on the part of NBC and I predict low ratings compared to Leno.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 11:49 AM

Personally I can't wait for Leno to retire. His schtick has gotten so tired.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 12:26 PM

it's true that Conan will undoubtely have lower ratings then Leno..of course that's because the population is generally stupid. I just hope they don't make him dumb down the show too much.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 12:33 PM

conan=not funny
leno=even less funny

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 12:34 PM

Anybody who knows anything about comedy knows that Conan has some of the best writers in the business...its not a coincidence that all the "hip" comedians are friends with Conan & his crew (UCB, CoC, etc) and as far as musical guests he has just as many "indie" artists as Jon Stewart show ever had including probably all the ones that Jon Stewart had... and recently bands that very few TV shows (especially not Leno) would book like Animal Collective and such
Leno is and always was about Hollywood and celebrity & topical humor (and shit like Dane Cook) There's no doubt that Conan's show will have to change to compete in that time slot but at the same time he deserves a wider audience.

Posted by RT | October 30, 2007 1:01 PM

I'd like to see Conan thrive in that new role, but I don't give it much time before his show becomes more "comedy for 70 year olds" like Leno.

And we'd have (rumored) Jimmy Fallon to deal with as Conan's replacement.

Think about that for a moment.

Posted by Bob Loblaw | October 30, 2007 1:42 PM

conan rules!

leno is a homophobic douchebag.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 5:39 PM

"as far as musical guests he has just as many "indie" artists as Jon Stewart show ever had including probably all the ones that Jon Stewart had..."

That's not so hard considering how short-lived the Jon Stewart show was. Jon Stewart was the perfect Gen-X talk show host.

Letterman is still my fave. Not much of a comedian, but a great host.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 6:25 PM

letterman is awesome when he's -on-

though much of the time, he just doesn't give a flying fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 6:46 PM

craig ferguson is funnier than all of them.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 7:07 PM

craig ferguson sucks. are you kidding me? does anybody even watch that guy? get john stuart on network late night tv already.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 7:17 PM

In 2010, CBS will can Letterman and hire Leno to take over The Late Show. Just watch.

Posted by Anonymous | October 30, 2007 10:49 PM

I agree -- craig ferguson is funnier than the lot. No one mentioned Kimmel and he's a riot.
Conan has become stale. how long can he do the imaginary string dance and bite his tie when a hot guest is on? Ten years ago he was brilliant and fresh. It seems like all the good material has been used up.

Posted by anonymous | October 30, 2007 11:38 PM

Great post

Posted by Davis | November 2, 2007 2:02 AM

THERE IS NO FUNNIER LATE TALK SHOW THEN THE TONIGHT SHOW WILL JAY LENO.....AFTER THEY LET JAY
LENO GO IN 2009, I WILL STOP WATCHING NBC BECAUSE
I CANT STAND CONAN O'BRIEN----RATINGS WILL GO DOWN,DOWN WITHOUT JAY LENO, YOU WATCH AND SEE....
CBS LET LETTERMAN GO, AND HIRE JAY LENO, YEAH, YEAH.....I LOVE JAY LENO AND ALWAYS WILL....RONI
IN PENNSYLVANIA

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2008 2:14 PM

Jay Leno is the corniest mother fucker ever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2008 2:25 PM

Jay is not that funny.

Posted by Conan | July 24, 2008 4:23 AM

I don't see how people don't find Conan funny. Jay Leno bores me to death personally, I'm glad Conan is taking over.

Posted by Barrows | March 21, 2009 1:17 PM