Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on October 24, 2007

Morrissey @ HB, NYC - Oct 23, 2007 (CRED)
Morrissey @ Hammerstein Ballroom

Andy Rourke of the Smiths is playing with an English band called Polytechnic at Mercury Lounge in NYC on November 16th. Morrissey of the Smiths played his second of five shows at Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC last night (Oct 23, 2007). Set List below..

Setlist:
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
The Loop
Sister, I'm A Poet
Stretch Out And Wait
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?
Death Of A Disco Dancer
Disappointed
Dear God, Please Help Me
How Soon Is Now?

Encore:
First Of The Gang To Die
Compare that to what he played the night before. Three more nights to go.

In related non-news, Professor Johnny Marr said the Smiths might reform one day.

seems as if the music slut has more pictures from the night.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 7:02 AM

Absolutely killed it last night..crowd had a lot more energy then Monday and there were mutliple stage invaders during the encore..

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 9:01 AM

I am suspicious about the statement that Andy Rourke, bassist of The Smiths, will be performing with Polytechnic. There's no mention of him on the band's MySpace and someone else is listed as their bassist. My quick perusal of their Web site and Andy Rourke's found no mention of such a collaboration. BV, maybe you should contact Andy Rourke's management (go to the Contact section of his Web site).

Posted by my spidey sense™ is tingling | October 24, 2007 9:11 AM

ugh, i hate the stage invaders (is chloe sevingy there all week?)!! but i love love love that shirt!

Posted by cz | October 24, 2007 9:17 AM

i think the security guard is the best...

Posted by jentex | October 24, 2007 9:26 AM

i think the security guard is the best...

Posted by jentex | October 24, 2007 9:27 AM

i think the security guard is the best...

Posted by jentex | October 24, 2007 9:27 AM

i think the security guard is the best...

Posted by jentex | October 24, 2007 9:27 AM

how can you hate the stage invaders? that's protocol for a morrissey show. last night was amazing. I was a little weary in the first half since morrissey/band and the crowd seemed to be lacking energy but the second he started playing 'stretch out and wait', the crowd seemed to perk up and the vibe in the vibeless hammerstein seemed to become much more intimate. I gave up drugs years ago but I seriously felt like I was tripping at the end of 'death of a disco dancer'. I don't know what was going on there but it was almost transcendental. And he played 'disappointed' - one of my fave angst-filled solo songs. Being at a Morrissey concert is like playing 'this is your life' - each song brings me back to a specific time in my life and last night it was fun to go back to being 16...
My only complaint was that I couldn't see anything. I wasn't even that far back but I still couldn't find a good place where there weren't people taller than me. But all and all - definitely worth my $22.

Posted by Macker | October 24, 2007 9:38 AM

Polytechnic are quite good:

Posted by Torr | October 24, 2007 9:47 AM

SO much better than monday. Morrissey's outfit was better, the crowd was better, the songs were better, and Morrissey seemed really into it. Thanks, Moz.
And the stage invaders ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 10:34 AM

I agree with 'death of a disco dancer' being great. I always thought that song was ok, but last night they took in to a whole new level.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 11:23 AM

I like Morrissey and The Smiths but am by no means a superfan. Can someone explain to me the significance of those huge pictures of Richard Burton in the background?

Posted by klaus_kinski | October 24, 2007 11:28 AM

"Death of a Disco Dancer" was amazing. So was that insane tom-drum thing at the end of "How Soon is Now." I was a bit worried at the beginning, but the second half of the show was definitely amazing. And the stage invaders! Crazy great insane!

Posted by anais | October 24, 2007 11:36 AM

more photos here: http://volume-knob.blogspot.com/2007/10/morrissey-hammerstein-ballroon-nyc.html

also andy rourke was supposed to speak on the iconic songs panel at cmj, but he never showed up.

Posted by jess | October 24, 2007 12:19 PM

Klaus, Morrissey is just a sucker for iconic pop-culture imagery from his youth. And I believe that the film Under Milk Wood had quite an impact on young Morrissey.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that my review of last night's show is now posted on Ear Farm.

Posted by EF Matt | October 24, 2007 12:50 PM

anybody knows if they let cameras in? i mena, personal digicams?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 12:54 PM

I have seen morrissey now 5 times, this being my 5th, since 1990, kill uncle tour, here in NYC on Long Island (that was awful, only on 40minutes, stormed off stage).

That being said, this by far, was FANTASTIC. The band sounded great, the setlist for the most part was great, and Moz himself was so full of energy. Last I saw him was at one night at the Apollo 3 years ago.

I was lucky enough to wait and got the 22 dollar tickets for last night, but you know, had I paid 65 I wouldn't have felt bad at all, the man brought the goods! Originally I wasn't going to pay that much to see him as I had seen him a few times previous, but he never had what he had last night. Wish the crowd was a little more into it. The stage invaders were excellent! Bravo! They left it for the last song, I guess for fear of being ejected from the venue.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 1:03 PM

what time does his set start? I'm going Friday. Any opinions on the support, Kristeen Young?

Posted by aging redcoat | October 24, 2007 1:38 PM

he starts at 9:03 on the dot every night..

KY sucks

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 1:47 PM

The teamsters in the VIP section were amazing. Drunk as hell and singing every word. Not so hot for the sax playing--tenor AND soprano sax. I am not trying to buy the Morrissey and Kenny G duet album anytime soon.

Posted by (blank) | October 24, 2007 2:02 PM

just got an email.. tickets for sundays show have also been droppped all the way down to 20 bucks. not good. well, not good those involved on the business side, but damn good for those wanting to go. heres the link.. enjoy

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 4:24 PM

the stage invaders are and have always been a select few idiots. most people that attend moz shows can't stand them!

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 4:33 PM

Are you sure about Sunday $20 tickets? I just checked the link and it was showing 45 and 65 only. Were these available at some point?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 5:41 PM

$20.00 tix are on sale Thursday at 12:00..last night was sold out..

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 5:59 PM

$20.00 tix are on sale Thursday at 12:00..last night was sold out..

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 5:59 PM

what time did he come on?
what time did show end?

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 6:22 PM

why is this always the most popular question??

he is on at 9:03 and finished by 10:45..

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 6:33 PM

Its the most popular question because its the only thing that's informative in these postings filled with jackass comments and opinions nobody cares about.

If you need me I'll be in my room whacking off.

Posted by "Fast Hands" Freddy | October 24, 2007 7:21 PM

anyone know what kind of jeans moz and the lads were wearing?

Posted by anon | October 24, 2007 10:00 PM

OshKosh. The kind that attracts little boys.

Posted by Ben Dover Jr. | October 24, 2007 10:32 PM

Towards the end of the show, I think it was during "Disappointed," someone gave Moz a book which he stuck in his back pocket. Any idea what book it was?? I'm so curious.

Posted by alyshhh | October 24, 2007 11:58 PM

The book was Casuals by Phil Thornton.
Mozzer loves those English football hooligans

Posted by Johnny I'm only mincing | October 25, 2007 12:23 AM

They were Earnest Sewn Jeans.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2007 9:47 AM

the stage invasion video from night two was posted on youtube

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2007 11:00 AM

Human Being is an awful awful song

Posted by Lee | October 25, 2007 7:55 PM