Posted in music | pictures on October 23, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Morrissey - I Like You (MP3)

Morrissey @ Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC - Oct 22, 2007 (CRED)
Morrissey @ Hammerstein Ballroom

Morrissey began his 5-night stand at Hammerstein Ballroom on Monday night with an energetic and powerful performance. Clearly understanding the disappointment at his cancellation of the June concert, Morrissey said “our little donkey finally made it to New York City, thanks for your patience, thanks for waiting” after the third number. He proceeded to deliver a set tight with recent numbers and weighed heavy on the back end with Smiths favorites, including the rare “Death of a Disco Dancer” from Strangeways. [NYCTaper taped it]
Set list and more below....

Setlist:
[total time 1:30:27]
01 [Introduction - Imperfect List]
02 Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before
03 Tomorrow
04 Sister, I’m A Poet
05 London
06 The Loop
07 That’s How People Grow Up
08 Jack The Ripper
09 I Like You
10 Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself?
11 Stretch Out And Wait
12 The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
13 Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
14 Billy Budd
15 All You Need Is Me
16 Death Of A Disco Dancer
17 Irish Blood, English Heart
18 Shoplifters Of The World Unite
19 One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
20 You Have Killed Me
21 How Soon Is Now?
Encore:
22 First Of The Gang To Die

Morrissey @ Hammerstein Ballroom, NYC - Oct 22, 2007 (CRED)
Morrissey @ Hammerstein Ballroom

Four more NYC shows to go. How much did you pay?

musicslot blog also has some excellent photos.

Posted by nyctaper | October 23, 2007 9:26 AM

bought the $32 tix a week or so ago. went last night. decent show. a little disappointed the tour is touted as his "greatest hits" but there were some glaring omissions in the set, most notably hairdresser on fire, suedehead, every day is like sunday, last of the famous international playboys, we hate it when our friends become successful, etc.

some of his newer material from the most recent disc paled in comparison to the smiths songs and some of his older songs, but it was still a very enjoyable show. he seemed to be in a good mood and his voice was fantastic. debating whether to see him again this week or not now.

Posted by holmes | October 23, 2007 9:26 AM

eek, that's musicslut

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 9:29 AM

the eternal question (in bv comments at least): what time did he go on?

Posted by AL | October 23, 2007 9:35 AM

he came on stage 9:00 on the dot

This part of the tour he has brought back a lot of songs he hasn't played in years; or never played live at all..For those of us who have seen him multiple times, this was a nice change of pace.

he actually only played one song off his new album last night which was "you have killed me".

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 9:40 AM

There's about a 10 minute slide show.
Intro music went on a little before 9. Morrissey began singing at exactly 9:03pm.

Posted by nyctaper | October 23, 2007 9:41 AM

what time did he take his shirt off?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 9:50 AM

excellent. thanks so much!

Posted by AL | October 23, 2007 9:50 AM

so good!! SO good! (the opener was pretty horrible, though)

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 9:54 AM

am i the only person who was entirely underwhelmed (and even saddened) by this show? we could begin with his choice of attire, which made him look like someone's drunk dad at a wedding reception. i love morrissey, and i was thrilled the last two times i saw him. but something was missing this time. was there something i wasn't getting, or did it seem like he was going through the motions?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 10:01 AM

I can't believe I missed "Death of a Disco Dancer". I really hope he plays at least one Smiths obscurity on Saturday night. "How Soon is Now" is great and all, but I really want to hear something a bit less played.

Posted by Dan | October 23, 2007 10:05 AM

"Did anybody see Johnny Marr's recent statement that someday, maybe not for 10 or 15 years, but someday, the Smiths would reform?"

They'll be touring with a reformed Killers.

Posted by I EAT NICKELS | October 23, 2007 10:14 AM

my mistake. i thought "i like you" was on ringleaders.

that song is fine and all, but man, did it fall flat live.

Posted by holmes | October 23, 2007 10:15 AM

"the tour is touted as his 'greatest hits'"

That the password for some of the presales was GREATESTHITS doesn't mean that this is supposed to be a greatest hits tour. No other official mention of greatest hits was made regarding this tour. I suppose the password was the result of Morrissey being cheeky.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 10:20 AM

I thought Stretch Out and Wait fell flat live for sure..he usually looks quite stylish but that Blue Pants and Shirt combo just killed me!

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 10:23 AM

i'll tell u what was missing ... the crowd's enthusiasm. i think Morrissey was pretty good but, in my opinion, the even-more-jaded-than-usual NYC crowd killed the show. there's a fuckin legend on stage dropping bombs most of the night and barely anyone was dancing or hardly moving around. i couldn't believe it. and between songs, most of the applause seemed way too polite. despite the awful crowd, Morrissey still put on a good show. i think he was looking to feed off the audience more and if he had found any reciprication the show could've been that much better.

it really makes me angry actually. i know NYC crowds are the toughest in the world (blah blah blah) but lately the crowds have really been ruining shows for me. the crowd at the first night of Arcade Fire at United Palace(?) a couple months ago was terrible. I think Win even mentioned the lack of energy. the crowd at the Good Life show at Bowery recently was full of assholes yelling things out in the middle of songs. u could tell it was ruining the show for the band. what the hell is going on?!? i feel like the dance or heavily-dance-influenced music crowds are the only ones that know how to have any fun anymore.

Posted by soul | October 23, 2007 10:24 AM

Kristeen Young was AWFUL. AWFUL. AWFUL.

Posted by speedrail | October 23, 2007 10:37 AM

What time did the opener go on??

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 10:42 AM

The T-shirts also said "Greatest Hits".

Posted by anon | October 23, 2007 10:45 AM

the crowd was so lame. at the apollo show people were going nuts...and that was a seated venue.

my friend and i were the only ones in our area that even moved.

hopefully tonight will be better.

Posted by roy | October 23, 2007 10:57 AM

he changes the setlist so some of the songs you're hoping he'd play may be sung in the next show(s). it sux but that's how he rolls. there are the usual that stay on though, like "irish blood, english heart" and "first of the gang to die".

the opener, Kristeen Young, goes on exactly an hour before. 8pm.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:06 AM

agreed on the apollo show ... i was there one of the nights and crowd was 1000 times more into it than last night. that apollo show was amazing.

Posted by soul | October 23, 2007 11:06 AM

what you guys got to understand, in NYC people will go to a show just to write the next day how much it sucked. Its not all fans inside, its also people on the fence, and even people who dont like the bands that are playing. I know, sometimes Im one of those people.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:15 AM

Kristeen Young is like hearing sheep get slaughtered.

Posted by JobaRules | October 23, 2007 11:32 AM

"The T-shirts also said 'Greatest Hits'."

Then Morrissey oughtta get sued for false advertising!

(This snark is aimed at Morrissey, not fans who thought he was gonna sing only his greatest hits.)

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:33 AM

What was the floor like vs mezz? How hard is it to get up to the mezz if you have GA floor tickets?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:34 AM

the show could've been better and we have 4 more shows left.

As for the crowd..I have a feeling people were just tired. Many people showed up very early in the day (some came at 10:30 am!) and well people were just angry with the 5 day moz pass people. I think some people weren't aware that people who got the 5 day pass thing would get in earlier than the rest of the crowd.

So if anything the crowd was lame because a.) It contained people who were just angry because they waited so long to get into the venue, b.) people who just brought the smiths greatest hits album and don't really know any of moz solo stuff, and c.) just plain idiots.

I did however enjoy the show overall. I mean moz can just dance around naked and do interpretive dancing for all I care...I would be amused. :)

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:46 AM

after all this I am really looking forward to the weekend shows.
anybody knows if cameras were allowed in the venue?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:53 AM

"b.) people who just brought the smiths greatest hits album and don't really know any of moz solo stuff"

i would be willing to bet there was not a single person who falls into this category there last night.. ha.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:53 AM

show was great. best time that i have seen him.
the band is super-tight, and his voice is fantastic!

as for the jabs at NYC crowds, it is actually the fault of the promoter. NYC is not a MOZ-head hub. 5-nights at hammerstein announced ALL AT ONCE, sprinkles the "real fans" out over the course of the week (leaving them with the sad decision of dropping prices to fill nights). Because of this, there probably wont be one single night with wall to wall FANS. i was actually surrounded by people who ONLY knew the smiths tracks!

Also, anyone notice that they COMPLETELY oversold the GA and kept the second mezz empty? ugh. it was packed on that floor.

and, yes. as was stated before: kristeen young? oh, please, god, no. i would love to go again this week and get right up front, but i cannot sit, er, stand, through her "set" again.

fantastic eve, regardless, and i will probably go again.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:54 AM

from the other thread
Hammerstein is pretty strict about separating the floor, Mezz1 and Mezz2 ticketholders. There are all sorts of dividers, and two levels of ticket checkers. I saw the Mezz1 lady at the bottom of the stairs let a floor-ticket guy up to Mezz1, but the woman at the top of the stairs would not let him in.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:57 AM

I thought the opening act was fantastic and put on a more energetic show than Morrissey did.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:58 AM

she was like a retarded kate bush.

Posted by roy | October 23, 2007 12:08 PM

a very fine show, not the best Morrissey concert I've seen but great nonetheless. i thought the crowd was about exactly what i expected - definitely NOT the Apollo crowd, but that's okay. everyone doesn't have to be fanatical to show that they're enjoying the show. and the people all around me were dancing and laughing and finally... ah never mind.

i'll save you any further commentary - you can read my review of the show on my site.

Posted by EF Matt | October 23, 2007 12:51 PM

It must be true that BV commenters love to hear themselves bitch and that's about it...from what I saw the vast majority of the crowd was into Kristeen Young's set and applauded and cheered enthusiastically after every song.

Didn't the whole snarky irony thing play itself out in 1994?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 12:58 PM

Matt, that review rocks!

Posted by nyctaper | October 23, 2007 1:30 PM

Hey, thats my picture, cool!

Posted by Rod | October 23, 2007 2:30 PM

I don't understand these people who think you have to be physically bouncing around and dancing to music that isn't danceable to enjoy a concert. These are the same idiots who won't stop talking to their friends or talking to their friends on their cel phones during the concert.

Morrissey didn't play as many Smiths songs as he alluded to so I did what any good NYC music fan would do. I stood with my arms folded without moving a muscle while listening for minor flaws in music.

Posted by Ima Downer | October 23, 2007 2:34 PM

I'm so psyched for tonight's. I'm not sure if the show can come close to the brilliance of the Apollo show simply because the Hammerstein sucks in comparison but I'm hoping for the best. And if one person even dares use their cell phone or talk during 'stretch our and wait', I'll have no problem politely telling them how impolite they are being.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 3:23 PM

I paid $75 to get a sit for this concert.
I heard that the ticket now is $20... so disappointed with Morissey that is allowing this.
Plus, there is no guarantee I will get a seat if I won't be there at 6:30.
This is no good

R

Posted by Rino Varrasso | October 23, 2007 4:20 PM

I paid $75 to get a seat for this concert.
Plus, there is no guarantee I will get a seat if I won't be there at 6:30.
This is no good

R

Posted by Rino Varrasso | October 23, 2007 4:20 PM

seat???

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 4:27 PM

Last night felt like seeing a Tom Jones vegas concert. Was waiting for him to break out into "She's a Lady."

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 7:00 PM

KRISTEENYOUNG are opening for Ted Leo / Pharmacists at the Music Hall of Williamsburg on Dec. 4: http://www.musichallofwilliamsburg.com/calendar/show/727/

Let's see what Ted Leo's fans will think of them.

(Kristeen Young is a person and KRISTEENYOUNG are the duo she fronts.)

Posted by K.Y. Jelly | October 23, 2007 7:43 PM

Casual fan here -- The show was lacking in Smiths songs, needed a louder band mix (the mix was ALL vocal, which may explain some of the 'Tom Jones' feeling... along with the blue shirt), a more interactive and less smug band (hello note for note-ness) and let's just admit it: whether you're nuts for him or not, the guy's songs post the first solo album or two are just lifeless. Definitely worth the $30 to be in the room with the man, but just do the damn Smiths songs if you're not gonna reunite the band -- they're just better.

Posted by greg | October 23, 2007 7:48 PM

Exactly 7:48. Spot on. Preaching to the choir.

And enough with the shirtless stuff. Please. Looks like William Shatner's physique when he's trying to get in shape for a new Star Trek movie.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 9:18 PM

Oh, I was not told that Moz would be semi-nude! He's friggin' hot! Morrissey flesh is totally worth the price of admission. Was he sweaty? Num.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:38 PM

Hey Greg: Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I are listless? Maybe you just are not a Morrissey fan! And why should he reunite The Smiths? Just because every other 80's act is going for the money. His solo career is much longer than the Smith's career. I went to hear whatever he wanted to play and was very happy.

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2007 11:41 PM

Night 2 was sublime, even better than Monday. He did "Disappointed," "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side," "Please Please Please," plus the New York Dolls' "Human Being," a total surprise for me. His intro to "Human Being": "Most of the music that changed my life, and made me realize I was mad, was made right here in this city...this IS Salt Lake City, isn't it?"

Posted by concrete & clay & general decay | October 24, 2007 12:51 AM

I agree. Tuesday night was absolutely fantastic. Morrissey and the band were brilliant - this show was 100% better than the last time I saw him in Radio City. An absolutely wonderful night - and it was really wonderful hearing the whole audience sing along and get excited for the Smiths songs.

Posted by Renee | October 24, 2007 1:29 AM

The English Elvis tour.

I could have used a little more karate moves and a cape.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2007 5:25 AM

11:41 - I qualified as a casual fan but stand by the fact that the earlier era songs are better than the latter. Accept it Luke - he is your father.

Posted by greg | October 24, 2007 9:07 AM

Does anybody know the names of the clips that were shown on screen before Morrissey got on stage? I thought they were all great (except for the James Dean screen test)

Posted by Garey | October 28, 2007 10:38 PM

Went to Friday's show. The crowd was definitely more lively from what some of you said about the shows earlier in the week.
He played one of his old Smiths' anthems Shoplifters Of The World Unite that he usually performs(think it's one of his favorites)... which I gather he didn't play in the first couple of shows. Disappointed he didn't play You've Killed Me & The Boy With The Thorn In His Side.
His voice(best I've heard it live) & band were in top notch form. My only beef was when he lost the crowd for awhile about an hour into the show doing 5 slow tempoed songs in a row. He picked up the pace near the end of the show & got everyone back into it. I did think the Apollo show was a bit more uptempo from start to finish.
My 24 year old son who's into all types of music went with us & was impressed. He was never a fan previously. May be a semi-convert now.
All in all my Morrissey fix was very satisfying. Liked a couple of the new unrealeased songs he played too.

Posted by Alex Kalaf | October 28, 2007 11:27 PM

Indeed, that show was great, unfortunately haven't heard anything interesting from him for a long time.

Posted by Janet | July 7, 2010 8:28 AM

I've bought his last album recently and I have to admit that it is really cool.

Posted by Jason Dodgen | November 15, 2010 4:46 AM