Posted in music on October 29, 2007

Porter Wagoner, a Grand Ole Opry institution and member of the Country Music Hall of Fame, died Sunday (Oct. 28) at 8:25 p.m. at Alive Hospice in Nashville.

Known as the Thin Man From West Plains, he was 80 and had been hospitalized since Oct. 15. An Opry spokesperson announced on Oct. 21 that Wagoner had been diagnosed with lung cancer. He was released to hospice care on Friday (Oct. 26).

An Opry star since 1957, the well-loved Wagoner had been the show's goodwill ambassador for many years and was photographed by fans millions of times as he clowned onstage in the flashy rhinestone suits that became one of his trademarks.

After suffering a near-fatal stomach aneurysm in 2006, he later recorded a new album, Wagonmaster, released earlier this year. He promoted the project by traveling to Hollywood in February to open a concert for Neko Case. In July, he opened the White Stripes' concert at New York's Madison Square Garden. Earlier this year, he celebrated his 50th anniversary as a member of the Opry. He last played the Opry on Sept. 29. [CMT]

Porter's last NYC show was at MSG - opening for the White Stripes.

Previously
* Porter Wagoner Diagnosed with Lung Cancer
* PORTER WAGONER videos (opening for White Stripes)
* White Stripes, Grinderman & Porter Wagoner @ MSG

no shit...i guess that cancer spreads fast.

RIP...seriously great country legend.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2007 8:47 AM

jeez, this really gets me:

Wagoner's final album, "Wagonmaster," was released in June and earned him some of the best reviews of his career. Over the summer, he was the opening act for the influential rock duo White Stripes at a sold-out show at New York's Madison Square Garden.

"The young people I met backstage, some of them were 20 years old. They wanted to get my autograph and tell me they really liked me," Porter said with tears in his eyes the day after the New York show. "If only they knew how that made me feel -- like a new breath of fresh air."

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2007 9:18 AM

R.I.P.

So that no one gets the wrong impression: I heard thirdhand that Neko Case was flabbergasted that Porter Wagoner was opening for her and not the other way around. The reason that bill came to be is that Wagonmaster came out on Anti Records, Neko's current label, and they set up the concert to promote Wagonmaster.

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2007 9:38 AM

I will always love you.

I hope Dolly's dealing with the news okay.

Posted by sam | October 29, 2007 9:56 AM

The Neko Case comment may be my answer here but, when was his last show?

I was wondering if it was the White Stripes bill in July.

Perhaps no.

And where can someone find an answer to that question?

Posted by dhs | October 29, 2007 10:31 AM

Listening to Porter and Dolly right now. Just beautiful stuff.

Posted by anonymous | October 29, 2007 10:32 AM

i think they said he did a final performance at the grand ole opry around 9/29 or so...

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2007 12:31 PM

i'm glad i had the privilege of seeing him open at msg. sigh.

Posted by diana | October 29, 2007 12:37 PM

"Wagonmaster's rollin'..."

RIP, grateful to have seen him at least once!

Posted by Freepster | October 29, 2007 10:12 PM

going to shows by myself is one of the best things i've done for myself. it's always a little adventure. i either meet people at the shows or i just enjoy myself and see a great show. i used to wait till someone wanted to go with me (like a boyfriend), but now that i'm single, i don't have to wait to see if anyone wants to go to a show, i just go. it's complete freedom.

Posted by شات الخليج | February 3, 2011 3:06 PM