Posted in music on October 4, 2007

Pylon

Tickets are on sale for a November 7th Pylon show at Mercury Lounge in NYC. More details below....

Pylon

Pylon is a rock band from Athens, Georgia, USA. Their most important work was done between 1979 and 1983. They were highly influential among new wave bands. They are also considered one of the seminal groups of the Athens music scene where their influence has been pervasive. The band R.E.M. is an especially notable example of a group influenced by Pylon, and covered the song "Crazy" on Dead Letter Office. Their music includes punk rock elements, but might also be counted as dance music. [Wikipedia]
................
DFA records is reissuing Pylon's first Lp Gyrate this October 16th on CD. Bonus material will include our first single Cool/Dub, tracks from the 45 rpm 10 inch ep and a song that was recorded in our practice space on two track in 1979. It has all been restored and remastered by Jeff Calder at Southern Tracks Studio and at Rodney Mills Masterhouse. All material (except for the bonus track recorded in our practice space) was originally released by Db recs out of Atlanta back in 1979 and 1980 and has been out of print for years. [Vanessa]
More tour dates TBA.

Tags: DFA, Pylon, REM

Wow. It's like REM took over for them when they got tired.

Posted by Mike L | October 4, 2007 5:49 PM

Cool. Last saw these guys in the Michael Todd room of the old Paladium.

Posted by drewo | October 4, 2007 5:59 PM

Pretty much one of the sickest bands to ever exist - if only they'd play an all ages show!

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2007 6:26 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up, what an unexpected surprise. Nice youtube clip from Athens Ga. Inside/Out, too. I watched that doc almost daily about 20 years ago, and seeing it again was quite a trip. Looks like they offer it for instant view download on Netflix, I recommend it.

Posted by tricia | October 4, 2007 6:33 PM

Simply awesome cover of Pylon's "Cool" by Love of Diagrams here:

Posted by Christopher | October 4, 2007 8:19 PM

wow...the 'michael todd room'...what a blast from the past.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2007 11:54 PM

And remember who was the opening act for them that night at the michael todd room? Lucinda Williams.
That was a great show.
I saw Pylon's first gig in nyc, and on their recommendation went to see rem when they played their first club gig in nyc.
I'm old.

Posted by pony | October 5, 2007 4:16 AM

I was at that show too. I remember they let us leave through the main room of the Palladium, rather than the through the 13th Street side where we came in. What was the name of the Club, something like "149 East 13th Street".
Anyway, what a total culture shock, leaving through the Palladium dance floor.

Posted by nyctaper | October 5, 2007 4:37 AM

Back in the day they were one of the best live acts around. Relentless groove machine. Gotta go just to see if they can still throw down.

Posted by EVK | October 5, 2007 12:48 PM

Wow, Pony, I didn't realize Lucinda Williams opened that Paladium/Michael Todd room show. Either I was oblivious, or (more likely) I only arrived for the Pylon set. My loss.

I do recall some live shows being presented in the Paladium (dance-club version) proper, including a Grace Jones/Dee Lite double-bill one New Years Eve.

Posted by drewo | October 5, 2007 1:08 PM

Man, it's about time. These have been out of print for a while.

Posted by Jeff | October 5, 2007 1:14 PM

I hope the shows sell out for them. Micheal Lachowski and Vanessa are two of the freaking coolest people will you will ever see on stage and are so creative.

Athens for eva. go dogs!

Posted by kimji | October 16, 2007 10:19 AM

I was at the Palladium show as well and yes they did open for Lucinda. Very odd pairing. I lived in Athens 79-81 and have great memories of Pylon. Incredibly psyched for Mercury Lounge show!!

Posted by Kevin | October 25, 2007 9:24 PM

I stand corrected on my previous post, Lucinda opened for Pylon, not the other way around

Posted by kevin | October 25, 2007 9:27 PM