Posted in music | pictures | video on October 8, 2007

Sharon Jones & friend @ The Apollo - Oct 6, 2007 (CRED)
Sharon Jones @ The Apollo

Saturday night was a big night for music in NYC. A few lucky people got to see Sigur Ros play a few songs, Arcade Fire headlined their biggest NYC show at (what must be) the biggest venue in NYC - their ninth NYC show this year (where they covered the Violent Femmes), and Miss Sharon Jones and her Dap Kings brought the soul back home to the legendary Apollo Theater.

continued below....

(CRED)
Sharon Jones @ The Apollo

"...Last night, sitting at the Apollo, I realized something. Nobody makes music like this anymore. Nobody entertains like this anymore. Nobody except Daptone. For 12 years they have been doing things their way, working hard and paying dues. Now they finally did it their way, at the Apollo Theater." [Flea Market Funk]

(CRED)
Sharon Jones @ The Apollo

(CRED)
Sharon Jones @ The Apollo

(CRED)
Sharon Jones @ The Apollo

A few days earlier, they played the Virgin store.

(not from the Apollo or Virgin)

Previously
* more Sharon Jones

It was a great show on sat. It was obvious that Sharon and the gang were psyched to be playing at the Apollo. Sharon exclaimed, "I made it" when she walked out to greet the crowd and her family sitting in the boxes above. Lots of guests sitting in all night as several members of Antibalas rotated in and out as well as the (recently broken up) Dansettes and a string section. Lee Fields also came out and added his poor man's James Brown flavor to the mix. There was also a very nice tribute to JB and the Apollo during the encore when they played a medley of JB tunes.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 8:25 AM

Without a doubt the most fun i've had at a show this year. Sharon owned the place and really made it seem like this wasn't her first time there, even if it was. The band was tight and the new material was great. Congrats to an incredible, singer and and equally incredible band. I wouldn't have been anywhere else on Saturday night! I can't wait till I get a chance to see her again...

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 10:25 AM

Oh, and congrats to the shitbags at Live Nation for making sure that they know where their name goes on the marquee- above the artist. It always amazes me when someone thinks that they are more important than the person playing. Nice job.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 10:33 AM

Cue the "I'm going to defend Live Nation and call the previous commenter a loser" thread.

Posted by Typical, Boring | October 8, 2007 10:39 AM

is that a picture of sharon with the pipettes?

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 11:39 AM

not Pipettes, the Dansettes. but they broke up and the two brunettes are now in a new (similar?)(better?) band called The Nouvellas. Pretty sure they sing on Sharon's new album too.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 11:44 AM

Wow they rock! Cooler than a combination of Jive Bunny & the Mastermixers and The Cherry Poppin' Daddies! Long live the industry created novelty act!

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 11:57 AM

Are you calling Sharon Jones an industry-created novelty act 11:57?

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 12:05 PM

Wow "anonymous 8:32am"...way to steal my Lee Fields catchphrase! I'm sending over my attorney now.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 12:13 PM

oops, 8:52AM. well you know who you are!

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 12:14 PM

Industry created novelty act? Are you serious?

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 12:28 PM

Yeah, of course. You know how predictable the industry is--always creating those novelty acts from 56 year old working class African-Americans. Its so obvious. You know the roster, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, Brittney, Hannah Montana. Sharon Jones is just another...oh wait, sorry.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 12:37 PM

"Long live the industry created novelty act!"

This is officially the dumbest thing ever said on this board.

Which is really saying something.

Posted by Nightfly | October 8, 2007 1:35 PM

Did the industry create the rundown looking shack in Bushwick where they run their biz?

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 1:50 PM

It's really tragic when people become too jaded to appreciate something real, honest, and inspired.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 1:54 PM

Sharon is the antithesis of industry created! This is real staight from the roots stuff that makes you remember what real musicianship looks like...

Posted by rosie | October 8, 2007 2:17 PM

Posted by rosie | October 8, 2007 2:17 PM

Posted by rosie | October 8, 2007 2:17 PM

Long live Bosco!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 2:21 PM

maybe the hater was reacting to a mention of the Pipettes earlier in the thread

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 2:33 PM

so sorry for the repeats...

Posted by rosie | October 8, 2007 4:29 PM

I wouldn't trade that show for the Arcade Fire in my living room... Awesome night!

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 6:57 PM

I only condone the ironic enjoyment of the Dap Kings. And only for the next month and a half.

Posted by Anonymous | October 8, 2007 9:40 PM

I was there.
Saturday night's incredible show was a reminder of the kind of performances that made the Apollo famous in the first place. No gaps, tricks, light shows, videos, gimmicks or electronic meddling. It was real music.
And Jones & the Dap-Kings record music that grabs us because of how real it sounds. They are hot, soulful, funky, and the hardest working MUSICIANS in the business. And when you see a show like Saturday's you realize that they sound that way on their recordings because they ARE real.
Maybe other musicians -- of all genre -- get the message: fans are ready to hear the real stuff once again.

Posted by popsong | October 12, 2007 9:18 PM

I also saw the show and thought what an awesome show. Lee Fields is still an amazing entertainer today and then.

Posted by mary | October 12, 2007 9:40 PM

The music that Sharon Jones & The Daps is awesome.
The promise is indeed here! All praises!!!

Posted by Tara D. Winters-LeMon | October 12, 2007 10:35 PM

The music that Sharon Jones & The Daps is awesome.
The promise is indeed here! All praises!!!

Posted by Tara D. Winters-LeMon | October 12, 2007 10:35 PM

It was an amazing show, haven't seen such real performers like that in ages. Reminds you what made live shows such a big deal in the first place. I also took some photos. Again, really great show.

Posted by Sucka | October 15, 2007 1:41 PM

what is this guy on!!! must never of heard quality music in his life before or he's on another planet, Sharon and The Dapkings are and have been the best band around for a very long time...great to see them doing really well now, just what they deserve!! ok, one idiots comments dont mean a thing, but blimey, what a plonker! get some musical knowledge dude!

Posted by P UK | October 15, 2007 5:27 PM

Sharon Jones, the Dap-Kings, and the rest of the Dap-Tone label are the real deal.

Amy Winehouse is the industry-created novelty act.

Posted by Anonymous | October 15, 2007 10:33 PM

HERE HERE~Amy Winehouse? where is that scrawny little UK junkie these days anyway ? that pan flashed -

Posted by leehayes | October 19, 2007 3:27 PM

dear sharon,I love all the diva's calling themselves The Queen Of Funk for all of my sisters are truely queens but since 1981 when my name Mallia Franklin linked to the title on George Clintons you know(Dr.Funkenstein)?(Parliament/Funkadelic)? first album on Capital Records afterall I Live the life I funk about If you check out the Queen Of Funk.com you'll see my Bio It's about the deeds that I brought to the Real OG's of The Funk I own the Domain name,I have first right of refuseal first right of commerce and I registered the logo and trademarked the infamus name I have wannabe's and the ALREADY SUPERSTARS TRYING TO CLAIM MY FAME NAME.LIKE MY ATTORNEY SAID IT'S TIME.YOURE NOT THE ONLY ONE GETTING A LETTER.MUCH PEACE STAY UP AND STAY BLESSED.

Posted by DONT FAKE THE FUNK | April 14, 2008 3:24 AM

It must have been great

Posted by powerful ghand guotes | October 24, 2008 12:06 AM

Cool Sharing, thank you..

Posted by Glitter Graphics | November 7, 2008 7:29 PM

I bet it has been a great show..

Posted by hyip | November 8, 2008 3:59 AM

Posted by دردشة عراقية | February 20, 2011 10:12 PM

I like him great

Posted by انمي | March 2, 2011 11:15 AM

Can you email me with some pointers on how you made your site look this awesome, I would appreciate it.

Posted by jocuri | September 2, 2012 7:42 PM