Posted in music on October 10, 2007

review by Dominic Masi Jr.

Hives @ Webster Hall

The Hives played Webster Hall last night (Oct 9, 2007). It was their first NYC-area show in close to three years. The key here is that it was a Hives show, NOT an opening slot for Maroon 5 at MSG. The Hives have never disappointed me live, and last night was no different. The band played mostly old songs, and the crowd slammed into each other all night long. Even the songs from their new album sounded like classics and got the crowd moving.

continued below....

Hives @ Webster Hall

Howlin' Pelle Almqvist is still one of the best front-men in the business, and he knows it! He controls the crowd from beginning to end and lets them all know how great he and his bandmates are! When the crowd wasn't clapping to his approval, he said something along the lines of, "Come on, you inner city people - you know you bought tickets the first 5 minutes they were released, so don't pretend that you don't love The Hives!" Everyone ate it up. The set was only an hour and fifteen minutes long, but I didn't leave unfulfilled.

Hives @ Webster Hall

During the encore, Pelle asked the crowd if they wanted the last song to be a an old one, or a new one. The cheers were, of course, for an old song. Pelle's reply, "Well, why would I let you make up my mind for me? We're gonna play a new one!" The new song drove the crowd into one final frenzy, and proved once again that, (as the saying goes) THE HIVES ARE LAW!

Hives @ Webster Hall

The last three photos are by Abbey Braden. More like that here. The first photo is by alexistheo. More like that here.

Check out Sound Bites for another take on this show. The Hives play MSG tonight, and are on tour.

Tags: The Hives

their shtick has gotten old a long long time ago

Posted by anonymous | October 10, 2007 5:12 AM

They make me nostalgic for 2002. I'm not being sarcastic. They really do.

Posted by Elwood D. Pennypacker | October 10, 2007 6:37 AM

Had fun last night! Thanks for posting a pic of the setlist. I was wondering the names of the new songs!

Posted by Craig | October 10, 2007 8:11 AM

Horrible band. Horrible.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2007 8:39 AM

The Hives were great last night. I don't think their "shtick" has gotten old. They do what they do and they do it well. The show they played at Irving Plaza 2 or 3 years ago was much better and had way more energy but that is to be expected.The crowd was not slamming into people all night long as the reviewer said. Upfront yeah a little but guy makes it seem like it was a madhouse in there. Far from it. Still great night all around.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2007 8:40 AM

You people are nuts. The Hives were awesome last night. That Shtick is not old and I'm no superfan. Just someone who appreciates a GREAT show. It was a GREAT show.

Posted by Fish | October 10, 2007 9:08 AM

i just wish it was rocket from the crypt that got their success.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2007 9:21 AM

I was there.

I didn't get to see them when they first rose to prominence a few years ago, but they still seem to know how to put on a good show.

And by this, obviously, I mean that they are horrible and not amusing any more.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2007 9:24 AM

"i just wish it was rocket from the crypt that got their success."

While they do deserve it, can you imagine seeing RFTC among teeny boppers?

Have you heard Speedo's new song? A demo was played on his radio show Sunday night. Good stuff.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2007 9:59 AM

nerdiest mosh pit ever.

Posted by KM | October 10, 2007 10:21 AM

Wish I could have gone to this.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2007 10:50 AM

anon 9:59, i love(d) rftc and to me they appealed to everyone...i couldve totally seen them on mtv or doing what they ended up doing...

their songs were great, their live show was incredible, they knew how to market and sell themselves...they just shouldve been hives-big...if not more so.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2007 10:51 AM

Great show last night! Way better than the previous two I've seen. The band is on the game. Pix and more observations here: http://www.wavedrumor.com/2007/10/hives-webster-hall.html

Posted by Dfactor | October 10, 2007 11:08 AM

Dfactor, i read your blog review and i have to ask what show were you at? And what previous shows have you seen from The Hives? They did not play 90 minutes last night first of all. While the show was great it did not even compare to the Irving show from a few years ago. You are on crack if you think that this show was better than that.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2007 11:22 AM

Hot Snakes > Rocket from the Crypt, so there!

Posted by Mark B. | October 10, 2007 2:30 PM

You really can't judge this band without seeing them living, which I know is a cliche. I can't think of a single other band that whips its audiences into such a worshipping frenzy. It was refreshing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2007 3:40 PM

"Hot Snakes > Rocket from the Crypt, so there!"

Both bands are gone!

Posted by Anonymous | October 10, 2007 3:57 PM

"Hot Snakes > Rocket from the Crypt, so there!"

"Both bands are gone!"

Of course. I was just responding to the comment that RFTC deserved the fame that The Hives did/do.

Posted by Mark B. | October 10, 2007 4:13 PM

The show last night was great. While not the best audience-wise, they put on a great show no matter what. (Yes their Irving Plaza show a few years ago had a much more involved audience, they were also more in their heyday then. Though my favorite was when they played the Lifebeat show in 2002, even though it was at Hammerstein they killed it, and I've never been shoved against a front rail gate so hard in my life).

The Hives can totally pull of their "schtick" and not many bands can. Their arrogance is in such a way that you can't help but laugh after it.

The Hives are law. You are crime.

Posted by Alix! | October 10, 2007 4:13 PM

PS. I wish RFTC were still together, I never did get to see them live. Was just listening to them this morning.

Posted by Alix! | October 10, 2007 4:20 PM

Anon 11:22am...
I wasn't checking my watch, I was jumping up and down and clapping - I said 90 minutes, someone else said 75 minutes, anyway, it was over a hour of good Hives.

Why was it better? Because:
- the new songs (esp. the last few in the encore) SMOKED
- the band looked happier and revved up
- Webster Hall's floor moves during shows - that's always fun...
- good moshing most of the show (except for a few jerks during the encore who just wanted to push people, rather than bounce and weave)
- my friend got to hang out with bass player Matt and band after the show, and is going again tonight.

Posted by Dfactor | October 10, 2007 5:01 PM

Posted by gt | October 10, 2007 9:52 PM

Umm I doubt most people can play as fearce and fast as their drummer...

Posted by Craig | October 11, 2007 10:34 AM

I was assaulted by one of the big fat idiot morons they hire as bouncers there. If anyone knows the names I wouldd like to sue them as I can barely move my neck two days later. Where do they find these neanderthal ingrates who are really just criminals allowed to act out there violent natures under the guise of security. Webster Hall should be shut down or really need to modify their hiring practices. They are a joke! The venue was a joke!

Posted by Devlin Hexler | October 11, 2007 10:53 AM

Posted by Devlin Hexler | October 11, 2007 10:53 AM

The Hives suck! Webster Hall Sux! place should be shut down. The old lady security guard there is a stupid idiot too!

Posted by devlin hexler | October 11, 2007 11:16 AM

"I was assaulted by one of the big fat idiot morons they hire as bouncers there. If anyone knows the names I would like to sue them as I can barely move my neck two days later. Where do they find these neanderthal ingrates who are really just criminals allowed to act out there violent natures under the guise of security. Webster Hall should be shut down or really need to modify their hiring practices. They are a joke! The venue was a joke!"

where you the guy getting the boot in the first 15 minutes of the show" If so i saw it, well not what started it, but i saw the guy that gave you the boot.

Posted by jackson | October 11, 2007 1:45 PM

sue....lol

Posted by Anonymous | October 11, 2007 1:59 PM

"the best thing about the hives is that anyone who ever played an instrument could play their songs, but their energy and (even if it's all a joke) charisma just can't be pulled off by anyone else. anyone who saw that show and wasn't entertained by howlin' pelle must have either convinced themselves beforehand that they would hate it, or are just too tight-wound to just let go and enjoy it. he's a showman, and the hives are fun, period."

Basically! Jeez. There are some bands that are a litmus test for shitty people, and people who dislike the Hives fit that category.

Show was killer. Best live ROCK around (TV on the Radio are best overall). If only I could afford QOTSA.

Posted by Chris | October 11, 2007 2:16 PM

QOTSA is playing on October, 17, 2007 - Northern Lights Clifton Park, NY with The Black Angels and Biffy Clyro - i'm going, tickets are 20 bucks, see you there

jackson

Posted by jackson | October 12, 2007 7:44 AM

i jus need add dat wb security are not x-cons nor have any criminal records watsoeva. my husband work there n neva been convicted of any crime. if u wanna get @ sum 1 then look @ the racist managers who run the sweat box.

Posted by wb hataz | May 29, 2009 2:48 AM