Posted in TV | music on October 27, 2007

Do not fear. Do not be confused. Brooklyn's beloved Mugs (one G) are not the band with the similar name on the Fox TV show "The Next Great American Band". The Muggs (two G's) are from Detroit, Michigan.

The Mugs
The Mugs

The Muggs
The Muggs

I actually haven't seen the show yet, but last night someone asked me if I knew the Mugs were on it. Is it good?

the show is entertaining television, but thats about it. its basically american idol style with marginally more interesting music. a few of the bands show some real promise, although as an avid music listener i think its safe to say that whoever wins will not live up to the shows title. the muggs have little more than an awesome guitarist who cant sing. its cool that the bassist recovered from a stroke and taught himself to play one handed keyboard bass and all, but in the end their music doesnt live up to their story.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2007 5:18 PM

If the Muggs description is any indicator (couldn't bring myself to watch the video after reading it), then this show is "Let's Find the Next Band that Sounds Like Dinosaurs Your Parents Listen To". Obviously, that's what a great American band is, right? It seems a similar technique to the rap-rock-lovin' suck-fest Fuse churned out during the summer, in which the only thing I got out of it was realizing how much I really don't like Johnny Rotten.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2007 5:53 PM

its somewhat entertaining. a few of the bands are good...a few are just atrocious. plus they have a pissed off older english guy, just like most competition-based tv shows, who just blasts most the bands. his name is Dicko. that is funny enough.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2007 6:30 PM

There is a band called The Hatch on the show, they are "from Brooklyn", they are miserable and idolize Maroon 5.

Posted by anonymous | October 29, 2007 8:32 AM

It's entertaining in a car wreck way. I couldn't stop watching it but I also didn't see a band I'd even consider adding to my iPod.

Posted by Murf | October 29, 2007 9:22 AM

Dylan should sue all the bands. They did some scary and awful covers of his songs. I wonder who's the next one they will butcher next friday

Posted by Anonymous | October 29, 2007 11:53 AM

I've reached my "entertaining in a car wreck way" saturation point. That kind of thing is now more depressing than anything (for me anyway).

Posted by Steve | October 29, 2007 12:29 PM

the little kids that covered iron maiden were awesome!

Posted by hesh heshy | October 29, 2007 12:49 PM