Posted in music on November 27, 2007

Butch Walker @ Maxwell's, Hoboken, NJ - Nov 23, 2007 (CRED)
Butch Walker @ Maxwells

Butch Walker and his family have fallen victim to the wildfires spread by the Santa Ana winds across Malibu, CA. On November 24th a family friend was forced to evacuate the singer, songwriter and producer's Malibu home, which was being rented from Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist Flea, due to the rapidly spreading fire. Walker was in New York City at the time on tour.

Says Walker "I had just consolidated my entire recording studio and house from Atlanta into the one house In Malibu. I lost everything I've ever owned. Every master of every song I've ever recorded, every piece of recording equipment, guitars, drums and things I've collected over the years, cars, motorcycles, every family memorial, heirloom, picture, and document we ever had.... Gone. I feel like I finally know the difference between 'going back' and 'going home'."

Many pets have also been displaced by the wildfires which are now near full containment. Butch played sold-out shows at Maxwell's on the 23rd & 24th.

Alright, people, let's get to work here on the best snarky comment from the Hipster Elite....

Posted by Wackamole | November 27, 2007 1:39 PM

Wait.... so EVERY Avril demo is lost forever????

Posted by WRT | November 27, 2007 1:48 PM

ok, me first...

who's butch walker?

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 1:48 PM

(dons George Costanza voice) "That's GOTTA hurt!"

Posted by zik | November 27, 2007 1:48 PM

Flea's the bassist of RHCP, not the guitarist. What time does Daft Punk go on?

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 1:57 PM

his COLLECTION of cars are all gone???

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 1:58 PM

I can see losing everything in an earthquake, dare I say even a hurricane, but a wildfire? These things have been going on for weeks, you lost all your masters and documents? Did you not well think to get them the hell out of there? Your collection of cars? I'm so deeply troubled for your losses in Flea's former residence. But really, who the hell are you and why do you have a collection of cars? Are you Conor Oberst?

And Daft Punk goes on at 12:30 as per the earlier post.

Posted by hipsterelitist | November 27, 2007 2:22 PM

Ouch. Losing all your songs, instruments and more is awful. Seriously. No irony. My heart goes out to Butch.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 2:29 PM

Maybe he's rich and has a collection of cars because he's not wasting his money on NY rent....

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 2:36 PM

He wasn't in town when the fire was happening and never had a chance to grab his stuff

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 2:39 PM

So far, only WRT really comes closest with a funny one. C'mon, people! We're the hated bloggers of the Snark Set here! Is this the best we can do?

Posted by Wackamole | November 27, 2007 2:40 PM

you guys are assholes..how would you feel if you lost everything? poor guy...my sympathy

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 2:41 PM

If you are rich enough to have a collection of cars, you are rich enough to fly back home to get all of your stuff out of your house...or pay someone to do it for you. I think he had plenty of a chance.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 2:43 PM

How could people who have nothing have sympathy for someone who lost everything?

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 2:46 PM

^^what are you? Superman?^^^

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 2:47 PM

anon 2:46... you got a computer, even if it's just access.... that's not nothing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 2:49 PM

Why did he have to list "cars" and "motorcycles" along with precious family heirlooms and musical instruments?

Posted by Curious Onlooker | November 27, 2007 3:00 PM

It was a collection of Matchbox™ cars. From a guy who has a huge collection of comic books myself, I can sympathize.

Posted by "Worst Snarky Fire Post......Ever" | November 27, 2007 3:21 PM

who are the ad wizards that came up with this one?

Posted by hipster poseur | November 27, 2007 4:20 PM

Butch played Friday night at Maxwells...the saturday show was cancelled by around noon on Saturday.

It's a shame...he's one of the good guys.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 5:05 PM

This man is a musical genious and has worked his way up the ladder of success and is finally making a decent buck doing what he does best, and he does it a damn site better than have the rockers cranking out shit on the radio these days. He remains under the radar of superstardom because he is a humble, hard working person. It totally sucks that at this point in his life, when he finally has more than $50 in his back pocket, that all that he has accumulated in his short period of financial success is now gone. Check him out, google away, there's lots out there for you to learn about him. Notbody deserves to have shitty comments thrown out at them like people are sending out here...have a little wee bit of compassion here people. And it's already been said by another...he's one of the good guys.

Posted by Ilona Driscoll | November 27, 2007 7:07 PM

I won't say it disqualifies him from being a good guy, but helping produce an Avril Lavigne album is a big black mark on his CV.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 9:38 PM

Some of you guys are freaking assholes. No matter if someone has $1 or $100 million dollars they are still people with a right to grieve over something terrible that is happened in their lives. Butch has every right to be upset for losing his material possessions whether its his family pictures or his collection of cars. Who cares what the item was it is his life and the things that he values and things that brought joy to his life. We all have those things in our lives. He obviously worked very hard to get where he is today and worked hard to obtain those possessions. And it is a tragedy that this happened to him and every single person and family affected by these terrible fires. These people have lost everything and I think it is terrible that people make light of this situation because it is a horrible situation.

Posted by Camille | November 27, 2007 10:05 PM

Have you ever been paid to do a job? I go to work every day, like most others...like Butch too...Avril is a paycheque...part of his daily trek to the office. It's just another gig... He produced Lindsay Lohan too, which he admits, in his words was a "train wreck", but that train wreck paid-off his parents' mortgage on their house. How and what people do with their money doesn't much matter. The loss is real, and sucks no matter what your CV says.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 10:14 PM

ofcourse these hipsters have nothing better to do than put up stupid comments like ive seen and what time is daft punk going on?

seriously i hope these kids lose their american apparel shirts and daft punk/MIA/Justice/etc shitty music....and whatever shitty stuff they have also.

Posted by nah | November 27, 2007 11:36 PM

I think he meant "drums and things I've collected" (i.e. assorted musical items), not that he collects cars or motorcyles.

Regardless...I'm sad for him and his family. Losing everything so suddenly would be painful for anybody.

Posted by Skippy | November 27, 2007 11:50 PM

Yeah, he just went from having $50 in his back pocket to having a collection of cars. Shut the fuck the up. It's one thing for him to have these things (fine he's worked hard, good for him), but don't go around crying about all the expensive shit you lost when there are so many less fortunate people out there than you. If you are going to act like that, then no, I will not shed a tear for you you piece of shit.

Also, it's not like this was totally unpreventable. I mean, wild fires in that area aren't new, sucks you decided not to do anything about it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 11:57 PM

the person that posted the comment before this anon 11:57 is fucking pathetic. If you cannot show one ounce of sympathy for someone who has lost their entire lives and belongings...who fucking cares if it was expensive things. Regardless if you are poor or rich when you have lost everything it is a terrible and sad thing. so fuck you you piece of shit. fuck off.

Posted by shibby | November 28, 2007 1:33 AM

What can you say to someone who loses all of those memories, regardless of the monetary value? You have brought me much joy, Butch, and I hope you can come back from this, stronger than ever.

Posted by Jeannine | November 28, 2007 2:04 AM

shibby fuck you. I just dont care either way for butch. if you going to come off the way he did, its hard for me to care. Yes, when someone (anyone) loses everything they have (whether its a lot of things or not) it is a horrible experience. But he didnt see this coming? And they I'm supposed to feel bad when all his riches all gone and he's crying? Dont think so. I wouldnt wish this on anyone, but at the same time I have a hard time really caring about the situation he's in.

Posted by anon 11:57 | November 28, 2007 10:04 AM

So anon 11:57, I have a question. If you don't care, why are you commenting here? It's an honest to God question. I must say when I first read the article I was sad at the situation, but I did find it odd how much he talked about what all he lost. He could have very well just said, "I lost everything, everything I own, everything I had." And as for him not seeing this coming, a lot of people didn't know what was going to happen, seeing as some people lost nothing and others lost it all. And when you're blockaded from your house, it's hard to go back and get your stuff. So I go back to what I originally asked, Why are you here?

Posted by stevey | November 28, 2007 10:59 AM

All I have to say about this is: Karma.

"Good guy" Butch was too good to play the Echo Project--an environmentally friendly benefit show. I guess the environment was still bitter that he called the event organizers "Assholes" since they wanted to put him on an early time slot and were excited about the "punk" rocker playing a snoozefest acoustic set...

although it's certainly a tragic lost for EVERYONE who lost their homes in the fires, at least the majority of the victims are people who can afford to get back on their feet.

Posted by notafan | November 28, 2007 11:02 AM

All I have to say about this is: Karma.

Posted by notafan | November 28, 2007 11:02 AM

sorry, were NOT excited about the acoustic set....

Posted by notafan | November 28, 2007 11:06 AM

Stevey, I'm not saying I don't about what he said or what happened. I am interested, and that's why I'm commenting. I'm just saying that the way he comes off makes me feel little sympathy for him. This doesn't me I'm happy to see this happen to him, because like I said before, this does suck for anyone.

And you're right, I probably am oversimplifying the issue of access to home and proper foresight in this situation. Though, wild fires certainly are different than say something like an earthquake.

The dude had a lot. Then he lost a lot. He's still alive though. He's got the talent and the skills to make a lot of it back. For these reasons I have trouble feeling really bad for him.

Posted by anon 11:57 | November 28, 2007 11:10 AM

When did it become trendy to be a hater?

In many cases, your grandparents came here with nothing and worked (what a concept!) so that two generations later you could whine about how uninspired a decent paying job is. Your (and my) grandparents were happy to HAVE a job.

So, go hang out at the bench in front of American Apparel and complain about how "rich" people think they have it so hard. Meanwhile, the people you complain about don't have time to sit on a stupid bench.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 12:03 PM

^Who are you even talking to?

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 12:27 PM

hey notafan....obviously you have never seen the man play an acoustic set. because you would have never ever have called it a snoozefest if you had. he is an amazing performer. and you also called him a "punk" rocker which goes to show that you know nothing about him...so why dont you go and google him and come back with an intelligent response. thanks!

Posted by butchfan | November 28, 2007 12:41 PM

Karma - for his history as a cheater

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 12:41 PM

I'm all for people who start with nothing and make something of themselves from it and come out with a lot. Let's hope that for him and all others who lost in this event learn to be grateful for the relationships in their life and not their possessions (no matter how valuable money wise or sentimental wise they may be).And don't get me wrong, i think it was terrible that all was lost in the fire. but i have no doubt Butch will make it through.

And i can't remember who said it, but it is really fortunate in an unfortunate situation that most of those people do have the finances to come out of it ok.

and karma may be a bitch, but i don't think all the other people who lost their homes refused to play at the Eco-Project concert.but that's just me

Posted by stevey | November 28, 2007 12:53 PM

If this is karma then there are going to be a lot of people here that are going to be really pissed off when their houses burst into flames. Although he probably could "afford" to get back on his feet how is he going to re-buy priceless family heirlooms? the masters to his songs? pictures? documents? He can't.
Weather you are a fan or not shouldn't matter. And how does anybody know if he really could have safely gone back to his house? Its easy to look back now and see what should have been done. Isn't that the case with every fire.. If we would have just checked our old wiring/blew out that candle/not smoked next to the curtains etc. Hindsight is 20/20. What benefits he did or didn't play in shouldn't matter. Butch is still a person in a horrible situation. Seriously, what happened to good old-fashion compassion?

AND to all of the anonymous people if you aren't willing to attach your name to something you say you probably shouldn't say it.

Posted by Vicky | November 28, 2007 3:08 PM

Vicky, do you know anything about wild fires?

And Vicky you're being just as anonymous.

Posted by anon 11:57 | November 28, 2007 3:18 PM

hey butchfan,

aaaactually, remember that "bradley drawn boy" show in atlanta? the acoustic set? i was there. i wasn't impressed, sorry. saw him back in the marvelous 3 days at a festival as well... and i've seen him solo at least one other time as well. just didn't dig the music, and found it even less inspiring acoustic. i also had the misfortune of seeing him on stage during the 500 songs for kids charity (at least he did volunteer for that one, eh?) except by the time he made it on stage to perform one of rolling stone magazine's top 10 greatest songs of all time, he was too drunk to remember the words. he even declared, and i quote, "i don't even know the words to this song. that's how fucking punk rock i am."

it was kind of embarrassing. i wish i could remember which song it was! was it the number 1 song "like a rolling stone?" i think so! because i remember it was the climax and the fucking song couldn't even be done without a singer, so the kid from All the Saints had to save the day. but i digress.

aaanyways. it is terrible to lose photos and irreplaceable memories like that. nobody deserves that, i am just making light of the situation because this is a freakin blog and the point of comments on music blogs is to be as surly and smart-ass as possible, right? fun! as for the rest, hopefully he had the foresight to get renter's insurance.

let that be a lesson to the rest of you. you never know when shit could happen.

Posted by notafan | November 28, 2007 6:37 PM

You are a dumbass and you completly missed my point.

Posted by Vicky | November 28, 2007 6:39 PM

I would like to point out that my dumbass comment was directed towards the anonymous person.. not notafan.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 7:59 PM

Posted by Vicky | November 28, 2007 7:59 PM

Vicky, you are right. He is in the financial situation to get the things back such as cars, motorcycles, clothes, etc. but its the personal sentamental things that is such a tradegic loss.

and notafan...i think you are the first person i have ever met not impressed by butch's talent. which is fine we like what we like right? i just feel bad for you...

Posted by butchfan | November 29, 2007 1:49 AM

that poor man, it would suck to lose everything, my heart goes out to him

Posted by jaseonbass | December 3, 2007 2:12 AM

that poor man, it would suck to lose everything, my heart goes out to him

Posted by jaseonbass | December 3, 2007 2:12 AM

I've known him since he was 15.....The Hardest Working Guy I Have Ever Known...he is thirty seven and has only been doing well for a 10 or so years now...he has been at his craft for 25 years....he has paid his dues and earned every thing he has ever had...travled the world doing it and along the way picked up little things to remember his journeys...he has sat next to and worked along side many of your stars of the music and movie scene.....he allways has time to share a kind word....the most humble guy I know....you guys are assholes....lets see who has a kind word for you should something like this effect your life....who is he ???? google him ......then google you....he effects lives in a positive way.....you spew shit....

Posted by david harris | December 13, 2007 2:09 PM

Posted by david harris | December 13, 2007 2:11 PM

Posted by david harris | December 13, 2007 2:13 PM

Hello, What's this big "rock star" doing renting a home anyway. Can't he afford to buy a home in California, doesn't he have insurance.Who the hell is this guy's business manager.It's a shame that these people lost thier homes but let's be honest, most of the "celebrities" can afford to buy 10 homes. How about crying about some these working class people who lost thier homes in Katrina and can't afford clean water much less a few fancy motorcycles.

Posted by jiffygethappy/sad | March 13, 2008 3:58 PM

I understand that all of you enjoy being worthlessly insensitive pricks, but shitting on others' misfortune doesn't make your sad, pathetic life any more bearable. Butch Walker, besides being an incredible musician, is an earnest and heartfelt man. I have met him numerous times, and he always goes out of his way to welcome his fans and those kind enough to buy his albums and concert tickets. He is a wonderful man who has worked for years to get where he is, and he has always been grateful to all those along the way. He didn't deserve to lose all in the wildfires-- that sucks majorly. In fact, all he asked for from his fans were the tangible mementos; he didn't care to have his cars or his 'bling' back, morons, he just wanted concert photos, fan letters, etc.; sure, he's made his mistakes (see: Avril's career, Pink), but I sure as hell know you guys aren't perfect, either. My heart still goes out to him, if only because it is sad that he's had to go through this. He didn't deserve it any more than any Katrina victims, so how about a little sympathy? He didn't cry at all for what he'd lost. He's a great person, and he doesn't deserve your ridicule or pithy, petty remarks. Go back to your hellhole, assholes.

Posted by Good girl | June 29, 2008 1:34 PM

Butch Walker is not a wonderful man, he is an adulterous piece of shit. He cheats on his wife constantly and gets girls' hopes up. Yes, he's a good musician and it's sad that he's lost all he's worked for, but maybe that's karma for being a womanizer.

Posted by anon | May 13, 2010 3:40 PM