Posted in music on November 6, 2007

DOWNLOAD: The Weakerthans - Plea From A Cat Named Virtue (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: The Hold Steady - Your Little Hoodrat Friend (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: The Hold Steady - live on KEXP (Oct 16, 2007) (MP3)

a coffee cup and some plastic daffodils (CRED)
a Weakerthans Tattoo

I always stress how great the lyrics are when I introduce someone to the Weakerthans. The music might have to grow on you, but their words allow you to instantly follow along. So, this quote by Craig Finn of the Hold Steady was cool to read:

John Samson from the Weakerthans—he is the lyricist that I can say, without hesitation, is better than I am. But almost everyone else I think I'm in contention with. [Other favorites are] Blake Schwarzenbach from Jawbreaker/Jets to Brazil, obviously Dylan, Springsteen—that kind of thing. But John Samson is the best right now. [Craig to the Stranger] (via)
I also agree with Craig (about himself) - he (Craig) is a good lyricist too. The Hold Steady are on tour with Art Brut.

Not surpringly, it wasn't that hard to find a few pictures of Weakerthan lyric-inspired tattoos. That one above with the plastic daffodils is the best. Two more tattoo pics, and some videos for you to sing along with, below....

The Weakerthans - "Psalm for the Elk's Lodge Last Call"

(CRED)
a Weakerthans Tattoo

The Weakerthans - My Favorite Chords (live)

I wait in 4/4 time (CRED)
a Weakerthans Tattoo

The Weakerthans - The Reasons

The Weakerthans recently played Webster Hall in NYC.

Weakerthans are great. That tattoo? Not so much.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 8:46 AM

I'd like to see that chick's ass antlers.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 8:47 AM

"how i don't know what to do with my hands when i talk to you.
how you don't know where to look, so you look at my hands."

genius.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 9:00 AM

that's adorable! what time does the daft punk tattoo go on?

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 9:10 AM

i liked him better in propagandhi

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 9:41 AM

ugh...craig finn is a shit lyricist...he's a fucking spoken word nerd...this aint maggie estep shit.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 9:57 AM

no one has a tattoo of a high school diploma hanging in the bathroom? lame.

Posted by jason | November 6, 2007 10:19 AM

Finn is such a fucking douche. "But almost everyone else I think I'm in contention with." Wow. It didn't help that the interviewer was basically stroking his ego the whole time. That Lifter Puller shit was weak, too. Someone coming up to you and telling you that they're a fan of your old band doesn't mean they are personally attacking you or your current project. Even if they don't like the Hold Steady, so what? Someone's being a jerk if they like Lifter Puller better? I hope I never run into Mike Watt. I might have a slip of the tongue and tell him how much I love the Minutemen.

Posted by feedbacker | November 6, 2007 10:37 AM

"I've had kisses that make judas seem sincere"

yeah, that's a real winner.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 10:39 AM

finn is pretty good, the band is better
lets see, samson, downie, dillon i think are all better and they are just the canucks. cleaves, voltato, hood, isbell, just a few of the americans.
i know having an ego is part of the game but if you asked finn now about that interview he would probably admit to being played a little bit

Posted by el segundo | November 6, 2007 11:34 AM

I always made the same mistake until he introduced the sequel song last week (where the cat explains his departure) but the cat's name is actually "Virtute." And I felt the need to point this out. Because I do not want to do any work. At all.

Posted by cortez | November 6, 2007 11:34 AM

I thought it was Virtue as well until very recently, and I had no idea how to pronounce it (ver-TOO-tay) until John said it at the show the other day.

John Samson is definitely my favorite lyricist. Craig Finn is great at what he does, but I'm completely confident that Samson could keep writing literary masterpieces for the next hundred years, while I'm not sure what Finn will do once he has exhausted the topics he is currently fixated on.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 11:54 AM

this guy is as bad as that douchebag from dashboard confessional and jonah matranga from far/onelinedrawing. people who get tattoos of lyrics also shop at hot topic

Posted by hipster poseur | November 6, 2007 12:09 PM

Holy shit Craig Finn is a douchebag. That Maggie Estep crack was absolutely brilliant!

Posted by the management | November 6, 2007 12:41 PM

first girl. donuts. her ass. 'nough said.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 12:47 PM

i was literally listening to the song that inspired that tattoo when i passed by it on here... weird.
I was also thinking about how sweet a weakerthans tattoo would be about 1 minute prior to reading this thread. crazzzzy

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 3:59 PM

getting one. someday.

Posted by RKB | November 7, 2007 9:46 PM

ahh! craziness. i was looking for weakerthans tattoos for like an hour before i found this blog. you seem to have found most of them..

weakerthans lyrics are amazing. i have every intention of getting a tattoo, it's just a matter of finding the right lyric.. there are too many that i'd be happy to have on me for life.

i was listening to that part of left and leaving when i read the 4/4 tattoo.. funny..

Posted by asdf | November 3, 2008 3:16 PM

has anyone ever heard of david berman or john darnielle, perhaps bill callahan in this friggin thread?

Posted by sloweducation | November 3, 2008 3:26 PM

hahahhahaha ass antlers, hahahahahahahaha!

darnielle rocks. the moutain goats reach a whole new level of melancholy emoness, I mean sometimes I listen to them and I think about how if I kill myself It would suck cause I'd be dead and wouldnt be able to kill myself again, cause I'm already dead... and I get even sadder cause It seems like something that would be fun to do over and over again; or atleast thats the way darnielle makes me feel. hahahahahahah ass antlers, hahahahaha.

nah, but anyway, the plastic dafodils in the coffee cup is awesome, that one took some fucking thinkin- mad cred yo, and the work looks awesome too.

about the other ones, well , hmm, ass antlers!

I have a weasel thug angel tattoo, so I suppose most people would think I have ass antlers, so i guess I shouldnt make fun.

I agree that samson blows angry dude from propaghandi out of the water, its easy to be pissed at westernism, its hard to be poetic and shit like samson, hes right up there with morrisey, and dylan and that dude from taking back sunday who wears chicks clothes....nah bro, kidding.

over and out.