Posted in music | tour dates on November 1, 2007

they did manage to play in Chicago though - Oct 28-29, 2007 (CRED)
Decemberists

The Decemberists were supposed to play their first of 2 NYC shows at the massive Terminal 5 tonight (Nov 1, 2007), and at least one of the shows was sold out....

With much regret The Decemberists have cancelled the remainder of "The Long and Short of It" tour.

One of our band members has been ill for a while but we thought all would be well in time for these tour dates. After a couple shows, though, it has become clear that the illness is much worse than we had initially realized. We need to return home so our friend can mend.

It saddens us to disappoint our fans. We hope everybody understands it is only because of an extreme situation that we had to cancel a tour we've all been excited about doing since the idea was originally hatched.

Our deepest apologies but at this time no plans are being made to reschedule the dates. Ticket holders should seek refunds at poin of purchase.

I hope it's nothing serious. They had to recently cancel some European dates for the same reason.

oh decemberists.
i hope they write a 12 minute song about pirates and the ocean and being sick about this incident.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 4:26 PM

doubt anybody will care, they suck

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 4:29 PM

I am super bummed. Anonymous #2, you suck.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 4:31 PM

Are Daft Punk still playing at 8:30?

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 4:31 PM

they saw themselves in the mirror and got sick

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 4:35 PM

As a British publication put it "they do look like dirty crazy people and sound even worse than they look"

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 4:36 PM

very admirable of you to cite your sources 4:36

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 4:46 PM

Very bummed here too, as I had tix to both nights with recording planned.
Well, tonight is out.
Anyone have any ideas for tomorrow night, I have a free night.

Posted by nyctaper | November 1, 2007 4:49 PM

i agree, the decemberists suck

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 5:00 PM

Horrible! Was really looking forward to this.... Bah...

Posted by Jeff | November 1, 2007 5:07 PM

yes they suck. no one will care. i mean they suck enough to play multiple nights in every city they play and they must really suck to sell out the huge termial 5. yeah who would care? decemberists are awesome, you just don't get it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 5:08 PM

FUCK THAT....and when will the daft punk thing get old?

Posted by abe | November 1, 2007 5:08 PM

so sad!

Posted by yael | November 1, 2007 5:19 PM

playing multiple nights in every city and selling out the huge and vacuous terminal 5 does not mean they still don't suck. these are hardly qualifiers.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 5:22 PM

might i add that terminal 5 also sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 5:23 PM

well. for those of us who have tickets... at least we've the odd consolation of having tickets from the concert that never was. actually, that has a nice ring to it...

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 5:36 PM

and a poster :(
i am sad.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 5:44 PM

Hopefully they will rebook at a better venue

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 5:45 PM

We all know that pretty much every band sucks thanks to the great wisdom of the very talented people here who find it their duty to remind us. However claiming no one will care about the cancellation of a sold out show at a big venue is taking the dumbness to the next level.

Posted by not a decemberists fan | November 1, 2007 5:53 PM

Abe, you meant to say, What time will the Daft Punk thing get old?

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 5:55 PM

to all of you who read this only to say that the decemberists suck.. you're pretty lame. they're awesome, and so is terminal 5.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 6:04 PM

Guess everyone will just have to go to a library instead.

Posted by Ju | November 1, 2007 6:14 PM

Why bothering to even post that they suck. If they suck so much then you shouldn't care enough to respond.

Posted by myself | November 1, 2007 6:15 PM

ha i'll let you think that decemberist are awesome. fine that's a subjective matter and a personal opinion there, but terminal five -actually- does suck.

Posted by terminal 5 must die | November 1, 2007 6:15 PM

People who think Terminal 5 is awesome, well, they just kind of suck.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 6:18 PM

the daft punk thing stopped being funny in august. its now november.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 6:23 PM

and it will soon be January, because December has been canceled.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 6:30 PM

I hope whoever it is gets better very soon. It's got to be very serious (and a major member of the ensemble) for them to cancel so many shows. I'm really disappointed, but at this point, more concerned about the gravity of the illness than about my own fun night tomorrow being canceled.

Posted by EAG | November 1, 2007 6:30 PM

colin meloy is hooked on junk. i thought everyone knew that?

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 6:45 PM

YAY! I hope they all die of heroin ODs because their uninspired music SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 7:20 PM

Apparently it's their tour manager Peter who sucks. And Colin who is sick.
...at least according to the internet.

Posted by not Anonymous | November 1, 2007 7:40 PM

poor franzwhore.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 7:59 PM

"and it will soon be January, because December has been canceled."

just very funny. yes?

Posted by k | November 1, 2007 9:54 PM

Get well soon Colin. The world needs more of your boring, wimpy, uninspiring brand of music! I'm sure these guys would have rocked a little place like Terminal 5.

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2007 4:42 AM

I don't understand why people who don't like the Decemberists would post negative thoughts about them , but then I realized that if you don't like the Decemberists then chances are you are an asshole to begin with.

Anyway, I made the trip all the way up to the city (I live about an hour away) only to find out first hand about the cancellation. I totally forgot to check BV before I left; what a mistake.

Posted by Bernie | November 2, 2007 6:49 AM

Wow, Anon 7:20 has some serious issues. I can understand not liking a band, but wishing horrible things on a group of harmless strangers is messed up beyond belief.

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2007 9:54 AM

Fuck this shit...I spent a lot of money and took off for work for those two nights. They don't post the cancellation until most people have already left for the city. Seems they must have known the night before, or in the morning. This just blows.

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2007 11:57 AM

"but then I realized that if you don't like the Decemberists then chances are you are an asshole to begin with."

I may be an asshole but at least I don't listen to lame music.

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2007 1:55 PM

Well, I'm extra glad I went to both nights in Chicago. It was great, and I was looking forward to hearing all sorts of stories about the rest of the tour! Hopefully they'll get through this, because they are a really amazing ensemble.

Posted by nobo | November 2, 2007 8:30 PM

i saw them on austin city limits and i fell asleep on the couch. then i woke up and they were still playing the same boring thing forty-five minutes later, so i fell asleep again.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2007 12:29 AM

Other than that one random site, is there any information on who is sick and how seriously? As a big fan who hasn't had a chance to see them live yet, I am kind of upset.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2007 1:08 AM

the decemberists don't really resonate with me, but i'm not an asshole, well at least most of the time...

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2007 2:19 AM

what could you POSSIBLY have against a band like the decemberists?

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2007 4:29 PM

what could you POSSIBLY have against a band like the decemberists?

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2007 4:30 PM

Get over it.
they are the lamest, most boring faggots that ever poured out of the tap. they all moved to Oregon, because they couldn't handle the rent in Seattle, and they couldn't get real jobs in Portland. Like the rest of the scene here, they are boring, self absorbed, and pendantic, sort of like the bands in NYC. Yikes, what a buttload of twee. This must be what was like to have to acknowledge that the Talking Heads/Blondie were even slightly related to your sorry assed city.
To put it in terms you might inderstand, they "smoke cock", and I'm sure you'll be drawn like leeches to the next flavor of the day in a new york minute

Posted by joe | November 5, 2007 8:30 PM

joe's blatant homophobia is merely a guise for his own latent homosexuality. someone needs therapy - really bad.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2007 8:51 PM

no, they really are that bad, but you are too much of an idiot to realize it. smoke another bowl Clive....

Posted by joe | November 5, 2007 8:55 PM

To Joe,
the homophobic spiteful one... Yeah you. Just because you have a small dick and can't spell doesn't make you any less ugly or smell any better. For that, you'll need to stop bathing in the toilet and start brushing your tooth.

BTW, I'm from Portland, and it's Colin who's sick. Not sure what it is, but it's the same illness that caused the band to cancel the remainder of the Euro tour. I heard it could be something serious...

Martin

Posted by Martin | November 6, 2007 2:15 PM

i'vd heard two rumours...

a) he was injured trying to go down on himself to see if he had homosexuality.

b) he has decided to quit music and commit fully to the homosensual life after listening to "in rainbows".

but neither of these are true, they simply live on in joe's fantasy world.

get well colin.

Posted by Anonymous | November 6, 2007 3:11 PM

They're not going to cancel a big tour because of a head cold. He's SICK. Of course they didn't want it to go this way. Some of you remind me of people who bitch about being late to your destination because a fatal traffic accident held up traffic. Can you really be so self-centered?

Posted by lulu | November 13, 2007 2:36 PM

Alright these faggots who keep saying the Decemberists are bad...fuck you. You probably listen to Lil John non stop and think it's cool. Noone cares about what you ave to say.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2007 4:47 PM

If you dont like the Decemberists why even read the original post?
That doesnt really make much sense.

Also, everyone is entitled to their opinion, if you like the Decemberists great! if not, thats great too!
I personally love them, but I'm not ignorant and know that there are plenty of other people who dont feel the same way.
~chao

Posted by anonymous | November 25, 2007 4:49 PM

I like some of their songs, others notsomuch. Brooklynvegan has a good show on Sirius leftofcenter. I remember seeing Colin play an open mic in Portland-it was me, his gal at the time, and a few others in the basement of some restaurant(all recent U of M grads). I thought he was pretty good. He did a cover of Stars of Track and Field. I'm glad he does it for a living now because he seemed nice enough and he has a talent whether you like his band or not. Anyone who wishes his demise is just experiencing a bout of schaudenfreud(dunno the spelling). I had it myself when I heard he was making a name for himself-it drove me batty because I was so unhappy with life at the time and the fact that someone I was only acquainted with having that kind of success made me think even less of myself which is totally irrational. Im pretty happy now and if he's sick I hope he gets better-he's a baby's daddy afterall.

Posted by nobody | November 30, 2007 7:15 PM

No Decemberists?!?!?

Hallelujah!! THERE IS A GOD!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 30, 2007 8:18 PM

I checked the website and there are no more tours scheduled at this point. I've tried to see other shows where a member of the band canceled because of illness or injury.

Posted by brad the music lover | August 1, 2008 2:04 PM

Cripes.
I don't know if it's the same anonymous all the way through, but I just want to say this: please stop. There are people who come here to say the Decemberists suck. Well, OK then. But A lot of people here just keep harping and harping, seemingly hellbent on bashing the band as much as possible. It comes across as just plain rude. And the fans telling the haters to screw off or go to hell, that's rude too. If you like these guys, great! So do I. If you hate them to their very core, that's alright with me.
Shoot, I hate System of a Down. Most everyone I tell this to think I'm insane, but I don't call them things like...I dunno, self-absorbed whiners. It's childish.

Posted by C | August 6, 2008 6:13 PM

You're right, C, it is childish. Oh, and the Decemberists suck.

Posted by Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:36 PM

Welcome come shopping friend here to here to have the massive cameras,

Posted by 3D camera | April 13, 2009 10:45 PM

Here has provided the high quality service for you

Posted by massage shanghai | April 13, 2009 10:47 PM

I don't know if it's the same anonymous all the way through,

Posted by Japan tour | June 25, 2009 9:06 PM

Yeah, I don't want any of them to be hurt, sick, etc. BUT... yes they do suck badly. Let's clear the air about the issue, fans and non-fans. Decemberists are terrible, terrible, pretentious, crabcake-like people. And they suck.

Posted by LoL,Pizza | September 13, 2009 8:37 PM

for vegans not to use any animal products, there sure is a lot of bull shit up here.

Posted by david | September 21, 2009 10:46 PM