Posted in music | venues on November 19, 2007

Europa

Europa Club for the past 13 years has established itself as a cornerstone in Greenpoint/Williamsburg area. We are looking for a person who would design a new interior for this multilevel club (Lounge look). Live music and parties booking agents and promoters welcome. To view photos of the club go to www.europalive.net or www.europaclub.com [Craigslist] (thx Dave)
OM & Grails recently played Europa. Upcoming shows include Oneida, Japanther, Obituary, and Ulrich Schnauss.

Tags: Europa

you mean the smelly puke stained velvet seating will no longer be there?

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 12:08 PM

i dig the polish whorehouse look!

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 12:26 PM

Went to the Melt Banana show there. Doors advertised for 7. I got there a bit after 8 and the doors hadn't opened yet.

There is nothing I hate more (not even Europa's terrible decor) than clubs not respecting your time by not starting when they advertise.

Posted by x | November 19, 2007 1:19 PM

Anything that can make that place look less like a scene from HOSTEL would be a huge improvement.

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 2:31 PM

re: x

In general...

I can tell you that the time issue is usually the fault of bands showing up late or being divas during soundchecks that go on for hours.

I do not know about why that night was late though.

Posted by Robert Johnson | November 19, 2007 4:53 PM

This place ROCKS!

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 5:04 PM

I think this place is actually in Second Life...but it does look kinda real here

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 5:36 PM

Hahahah oh man, they have the best shows there, but i am SO GLAD they're going to do something about that horrible interior...sometimes I feel like I'm in an D&D game at that place..the weird semi-gothy look is lame.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2007 9:14 AM

Isn't that the place with the weird soviet era social realist life size nudes on the wall? Their bouncers are the worst. I saw this 7 foot tall 300 pound dude beating the shit out of a skinny 16 year old kid at the Career Suicide show for jumping on stage to sing along. I steel-toe booted the dude in the behind as he was dragging the kid outside. Good times!

Posted by Post-collegiate bohemian trust funder. | November 20, 2007 10:47 AM

Yeah, I almost forgot, the security is my other problem with Europa. I don't want to get patted down and have my privacy invaded when I go to show. Maybe that is something Europa thinks it needs for its dance club crowds, but it is just unnecessary and inappropriate for an indie rock show. If it wants to be in the business of putting on indie shows, it should have to adapt to our culture, which doesn't include a strip search. And we shouldn't put up with it. So although I live 8 blocks from Europa I won't go unless it is a band I can't see elsewhere.

Posted by x | November 20, 2007 12:06 PM

I dont care as long as they keep on having Polish soccer games there. Also how can you complain about this place. Did you guys ever go to Death By Audio? Now that is an insult to anyone who ever went there for a show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2007 12:48 PM

Hej guys I understand that Europa have some issues, but I do not understand how someone could complain about the place being dirty. Anyway, Europa has new owners now, and by April the place will look totally different, including best sound system, new interior, new security and new management. There will also be a new restaurant on the first floor. Hope you going to like it.
Do not forget to visit us at www.europalive.net for upcoming shows. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Posted by Zibby | November 20, 2007 7:17 PM

Unbelievable! ! Bad Boys Blue band was scheduled to play at 9pm, at 11:30 pm still nothing! Refuse to give the money back for tickets, saw a girl being grabbed and throw down by co-owner. She landed on her face, was picked up by her friends and thrown out by the bouncers. Even though it wasn't her fault. As a reporter, I spoke with her outside the club, she placed the complain with a 94th precinct. she had bruises all over, none of her 5 friends were allowed to go upstairs and get their belongings. Unbelievable.

Posted by Monika | May 25, 2009 9:30 PM