Posted in industry | music on November 14, 2007

Kissopoly

Billboard: IT HAS BEEN NINE YEARS SINCE WE'VE SEEN A NEW KISS ALBUM. ANY PLANS TO GET BACK INTO THE STUDIO?

Gene Simmons: The record industry is in such a mess. I called for what it was when college kids first started download music for free -- that they were crooks. I told every record label I spoke with that they just lit the fuse to their own bomb that was going to explode from under them and put them on the street.

There is nothing in me that wants to go in there and do new music. How are you going to deliver it? How are you going to get paid for it if people can just get it for free? I will be putting out a Gene Simmons box set called "Monster" -- a collection of 150 unreleased songs. KISS will have another box set of unreleased music in the next year.

The record industry doesn't have a f---ing clue how to make money. It's only their fault for letting foxes get into the henhouse and then wondering why there's no eggs or chickens. Every little college kid, every freshly-scrubbed little kid's face should have been sued off the face of the earth. They should have taken their houses and cars and nipped it right there in the beginning. Those kids are putting 100,000 to a million people out of work. How can you pick on them? They've got freckles. That's a crook. He may as well be wearing a bandit's mask.

Doesn't affect me. But imagine being a new band with dreams of getting on stage and putting out your own record. Forget it.

BUT SOME ARTISTS LIKE RADIOHEAD AND TRENT REZNOR ARE TRYING TO FIND A NEW BUSINESS MODEL.

That doesn't count. You can't pick on one person as an exception. And that's not a business model that works. I open a store and say "Come on in and pay whatever you want." Are you on f---ing crack? Do you really believe that's a business model that works? [more]

Radiohead is releasing their album on ATO Records in the U.S. on January 2nd.

I'm not a fan of his fontasy music industry.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:00 PM

gene always said he was a business man first...

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:01 PM

So many things i could say about this tool.

Good to see he's in it for the love of the music first, and not solely for profit.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:01 PM

lilly allen doesn't like what radiohead's doing either....

Luckily all Kiss is the worst band ever and lily allen is a spoiled little rich brat...

Posted by abe | November 14, 2007 4:02 PM

i highly doubt many college kids are downloading kiss records.

if you're too lazy to make a new record, and just want to sit back and collect royalties from your back catalogue, than just admit that.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:06 PM

When people resort to the "nuke 'em all" response, they're usually being short-sighted, to say the least.

Firstly, I'm sorry, Gene, that you'll actually have to compete and be creative to produce something worth buying, now that the Web has opened up the music industry to any low-budget content producer and market.

Answer to his last question: It *is* a business model that works ... when the "official" competitors offer high prices or few choices, the bootlegers don't send *any* money back to the supplier, and your store, on the other hand, shows up with a great product, owner & supplier (who might be the same person, eg. Radiohead), even if a lot of promo (free) copies are involved.

Posted by Mike | November 14, 2007 4:07 PM

Gene/KISS should team with Wal-Mart a la the Eagles. That's his market, not the college kids.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:16 PM

f you fat ugly penis gene simons. its not like my bro is gonna downlow Kiss records... and my grandpa broke his computer from hitting it with A CANE.!

TACO TIME ARMY

----------------------------------------------

sent from my blaxberry jesus BBQ tornado

Posted by Taco Time for Mom & Dad | November 14, 2007 4:20 PM

Ohhhh, big bad Gene Simmons! Let's make an example of him! Yeah, yeah, fuck Kiss! Corporate shill! Corporate shill! Lazy! Fuck you Gene!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:21 PM

kiss is for dorky grade school kids... kiss was the original emo, so ugly they had to wear makeup.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:23 PM

Good god. If it weren't for the intwerwebs and people downloading her music, Lily Allen would still be a talentless skank. Now she's just a talentless skank with fans.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:25 PM

Where can I buy my Tapes n' Tapes casket? That's there the $ is at.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:29 PM

I'm so tired of bands talking about the money they are losing on record sale. Can thwy give us an idea of how muche thay are losing?
I remember when Tom Petty fought to keep Hard Promises $1 under the usual sale price. Back then, he said that he didn't make money from the records, that the money came from touring (tickets + t-chirts). And way before MP3, bands like the Stones and Kiss started to sell some very expensive tickets and shirts. Somebody must have cash-in at some point.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:29 PM

What an idiot

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:35 PM

if something is protected by a copyright (i.e. CDs that bands put out) then it's illegal to download it from a file-sharing network, right?

I mean...it's technically stealing, right? Even if the artist gains "exposure" or something.

So we're all breaking the law insisting that no one sue us. Do we have that right? It's kind of weird.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:35 PM

None of you can spell.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:38 PM

sure, technically it's illegal. But I think it's clear that the laws and business both need to be re-vamped to make way for new technology. In this case, gene simmons is using the industry's problems as an excuse for not having created anything in 9 years. If he truly had any talent or inspriation left, I don't think he would have quit.

Posted by evillgirl | November 14, 2007 4:46 PM

Whoa, Gene Simmons is an ignorant, out-of-touch idiot? I'm positively speechless!

Posted by Wes | November 14, 2007 4:47 PM

If I had known stealing music would have kept KISS from making records, I would'nt've paid for ANYTHING.

Posted by Drew | November 14, 2007 4:47 PM

does anyone care what this tool think?

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:53 PM

Two words: In Rainbows

Posted by anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:56 PM

I wanna rock and roll all night.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 4:57 PM

Ha the same retards who defended Kevin Drew slam Gene Simmons just because Kiss isn't a hipster band.

Fucktard hipster hippocrates!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 5:11 PM

No one should defend Gene Simmons or Kevin Drew they are both useless assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 5:15 PM

The empirical evidence says that people download music for free. Period. Radiohead was just taking this fact, tweaking it and seeing where it would go. Gene Simmons doesn't understand the complex intricacies of the online economy; it doesn't care when, when and how people get their music. As long as peer-to-peer torrents/download sites exist, which they will, there will always be a place for people to find free music.

Radiohead had the huge advantage of being a known artist with a massive fan base to tap from. That's why they were able to market this form of music distribution better than any indie artist would be able to.

What they did was remarkable.

Of course not all bands will be able to offer what they did; but it's creative and addresses the "problem" of free-flowing digital music in a better way than suing a single mother an extortionist sum.

Posted by v | November 14, 2007 5:31 PM

I don't agree with Gene Simmons at all, but...man, he's fucking awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 5:39 PM

Who cares? Why are we discussing this? This is all being way over thought. I need to find a new way to spend my free time. This is getting out of hand. I have zero concern for anything that has ever come out of Gene Simmons mouth, musically or otherwise.

Posted by DK | November 14, 2007 5:39 PM

all I know is "Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park" kicks ass!

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 5:44 PM

i served gene simmons a chopped chinese chicken salad in midtown today. he was with his mother. nice guy, a bit demanding.

Posted by kyle | November 14, 2007 6:22 PM

i served gene simmons a turkey with brie on baguette when i worked at leonard's in SF.
he bitched and moaned about ther being too much mustard.
i had to make him a whole new sandwich. but on the bright side, i sold the original sandwich on e-bay. it had two bites taken out of it by gene simmons! it fetched $32 + shipping. he probably wants a cut.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 8:14 PM

"I told every record label I spoke with that they just lit the fuse to their own bomb that was going to explode from under them and put them on the street."

WTF is he talking about? Record labels didn't create peer-to-peer filesharing networks. Is he referring to compact discs, from which MP3s get ripped? IIRC, CDs hit the market before dial-up modems for home use, much less the first CD-ROM drives, did. Fuck you, Chaim Witz.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 9:24 PM

I once heard Gene Simmons copyrighted the phrase "O.J." (in relation to orange juice, not the formerly alledged murderer/heisman trophy winner/naked gun star)

i'm not sure that it's true. but i wouldn't be surprised

Posted by Chris | November 15, 2007 12:01 AM

Gene's also investor and Chairman of the Board of No Good TV:

They Call him Dr. Love.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 1:41 AM

don't drag hippocrates' good name into this

Posted by belchy | November 15, 2007 1:49 AM

Well gene should certainly know a thing or 2 about stealing. They fucking stole their whole dress up look from the NY DOLLS.

He really is a pompous idiot though. What a sage, he saw everything coming when college kids started downloading music. Funny how most people predicted it years before that.

I do have to give him credit though on all the pussy he has gotten over the years. Not to mention that his ugly ass is the single biggest proof that women are extremely shallow. They will fuck anything if it has money and success.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 4:55 AM

"There's no real use for it, except we all agree and abide by the idea that gold costs a certain amount per ounce. As soon as you give people the choice to deviate from it, you have chaos and anarchy. And that's what going on."

Look Mr. Simmons, one day you will pay me a $1 million for some magical beans I have. Not because you want to, but because I will get everyone else to abide by that idea. Just you wait Mr. Man. Just you wait.

Posted by Jack | November 15, 2007 6:02 AM

Y'all heard me.

Posted by Fontasy Music Industry | November 15, 2007 12:32 PM

congrats gene. your band was good like twenty-five years ago. and only kind of good.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 1:52 PM

the important thing to keep in mind is... there's GOTTA be somebody out there who LIKES TO DRINK TEQUILA!

thank you.

Posted by Paul Stanley | November 15, 2007 2:06 PM

I just burned all my Kiss trading Cards!

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 2:10 PM

i use to love kiss, but after this, i'm burning all my kiss cds

Posted by adeplorablekissfan | November 15, 2007 3:16 PM

Man, I was flipping through the tv the other day and remember seeing Gene Simmons showing his 15 MILLION DOLLAR house on MTV's "most expensive celebrity cribs." And he's using money as is reason for not making another album?

What a fucking pussy.

Posted by Chase | November 15, 2007 4:32 PM

You wanted the best - but you got KISS instead!

The hardest-investing band in the world!

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | November 16, 2007 5:04 AM

You people are so quick to jump the gun. KISS have always been an unashamed marketing machine (with some kick-ass songs to boot IMHO). One fool even mentions that he just burned all his KISS trading cards because he only just realised that Gene is money-hungry.

Doing it for the love of music means fuck all when you can't pay your rent. You don't get the fruits of anybody else's labour for free so why shouldn't you pay musicians for what they produce? You build me a house and cook my meals and I'll give you free music. Fucking parasites!!

Posted by Pay for it! | December 2, 2007 8:10 PM

^You obviously don't really understand what other commenters are saying, or what the really issue is. So just go away.

Posted by Anonymous | December 2, 2007 9:01 PM

Gene simmons is a cocksplash, let Radiohead do what they want with the album, they will still be better on their worst day than kiss will ever be.

Posted by Ciaran | December 10, 2007 4:17 PM

I remember when various labels,(and probably Gene Simmons)were complaining that kids were dubbing songs on blank cassette tapes in the 80's. The Dead Kennedys in response released an EP on cassette with the other side blank, so that their fans could record what they wanted on the other side.

This is just the same argument in a different era. Record labels were able to overcome and profit in the face of cassette dubbing, just like they (hopefully) will in the face of illegal downloading.

And Gene Simmons certainly isnt complaining that his fans have had to rebuy their fave Kiss records over the span of 4 different audio formats.

Posted by DecemberGuy | December 20, 2007 9:55 AM

"his fans have had to rebuy their fave Kiss records over the span of 4 different audio formats"

They didn't HAVE to rebuy those records, they CHOSE to rebuy them.

Which 4 are you referring to, by the way? LP's, cassettes, CD's, ??? Did KISS ever release anything on 8-track?

Posted by Anonymous | December 20, 2007 11:26 AM

Gene is right, the record industry is dead and I'm dancing on it's grave. Money-hungry geezers like Kiss will not be putting out a new record - cry me a river. Now, horror of horrors, only bands who are more interested in art than money will produce music. Downloading music is not stealing. Stealing is: you have X, I take X from you, you no longer have X and I do. Downloading is: you have X, you upload it and allow me to download copy Y, you have X, I have Y and we're both happy.

Posted by Anonymous | July 7, 2008 12:33 PM