Posted in music | pictures on November 7, 2007

Gogol Bordello @ Terminal 5, NYC - Nov 3, 2007 (cred - Rebecca Smeyne)
Gogol Bordello @ Terminal 5

An in-demand actor — he starred in the film adaptation of Everything is Illuminated and plays a semi-fictionalized version of himself in Madonna's forthcoming directorial debut Filth and Wisdom — Hutz has charisma to burn, which he did with the public debut of his new persona, his female alter ego, a sort of she-devil in a long red wig and orange spike heels. It's a side of himself he explores in the Madonna movie, and one Hutz fans can only hope is a passing phase. It looks all wrong with his handlebar mustache. [NY Magazine]

Was it impossible for a newly renovated venue to have a decent, working coat check? The line to check your coat was huge, I can't imagine how long it was to pick it up (I didn't bother checking mine in since the line was long).

Good show. It's my first time seeing GB where Eugene didn't drum surf!

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2007 2:30 PM

coat checks are for sissies

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2007 3:03 PM

Also, the character Eugene in Wristcutters: A Love Story was based on ...Eugene. Actually written for him. However, his touring schedule didn't allow him time to play the role.

Posted by Diana | November 7, 2007 3:09 PM

"coat checks are for sissies"

What's wrong? Too poor to afford the coat check? Sucker. Gogol Bordello is about dancing, and you can't dancing in the pit with your coat on.

And what's up with the people standing in the balcony area? How can you go to a Gogol Bordello concert and just stand? Might as well stay home and put on the CD.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2007 3:59 PM

Great show, though that venue feels way too big. First time I didn't see them do the drum surf too.

Posted by Lars | November 7, 2007 4:02 PM

3:59 PM, I usually just stash my jacket somewhere in the venue & avoid the coat check mess altogether. And I'm definitely not the only one doing that..

Posted by Lars | November 7, 2007 4:05 PM

i don't think anyone being too poor for the coat check is the problem, 3:59. in case you didn't notice, the line to check your coat was incredibly long, and i could only imagine how long it was to get your coat back. some people have things to do other than stand in line all evening, ya dig?

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2007 4:12 PM

4:12 PM, I agree, I am a proponent of the coat check, but didn't check mine in because of the line. I didn't know T5 well enough to know where to stash a coat.

Posted by Anonymous | November 7, 2007 4:35 PM

GREAT SHOW. GREAT BAND. Bad first impression for this new venue... as mentioned by the coat check comments earlier, and the merch table was near one of the two exits and those stopping and crowding around it caused a nearly scary situation when we were all trying to leave out the small doors and the throughway was blocked. It didn't seem like Terminal 5 was ready to be open yet. Plus, the "youngsters" in the crowd were more than annoying with their constant pushing and shoving past me and those around me... but maybe I'm just getting too old.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 1:04 PM

Gogol Bordello sounded amazing. Terminal 5 was nice.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 3:17 PM

Who was the band that opened for them? They were awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 6:48 PM