Posted in hiphop | music | tour dates on November 11, 2007

Jay Z

I've known about tonight's (Nov 11, 2007) Jay-Z show at Hammerstein Ballroom since the day it went on sale, but it was sold out by the time I realized it was happening. The same thing happened when Jay-Z played Roseland last year, and when he played Radio City before that - both were sold out before I knew about them. Then yesterday I noticed yet another show - Sunday November 13th at the Apollo Theater - apparently just added, but also sold out by the time I saw it. Hopefully one day I'll be able to post about Jay-Z tickets going on sale in advance, but for now all I got for you is Craigslist.

Jay-Z also performed a show at Steiner Studios in Brooklyn in late October - a taping for VH1's "Storyteller" series (which debuted on November 8th). Photo above. Video, and more info, below. American Gangster is out now.

Jay-Z's Live Concert At Steiner Studios: Roc Boys

NEW YORK (AP) — Jay-Z went back to Brooklyn to give fans an early listen to some of the music on his upcoming album, "American Gangster."

On a studio lot for VH1's "Storytellers" series, Jay-Z, along with a full band, performed several tracks from the album inspired by the upcoming Denzel Washington-Russell Crowe flick.

"American Gangster," in theaters Nov. 2, chronicles the rise and fall of notorious Harlem drug lord Frank Lucas. Jay-Z said watching the film made him reflect on his own drug-slinging days and the dangers of that lifestyle.

"I was watching the movie and I was pulling emotions from the film," the 37-year-old rapper told the crowd, which included girlfriend Beyonce, on Wednesday night.

Among the new songs he previewed were "Pray," "Dreamin'" and "Party Life," and another about addiction.

"Can I get my Lindsay Lohan on?" he joked before launching into his rap, though he quickly added: "I definitely went too far ... I might have to edit that."

Between explaining the songs, the rapper also talked about the state of the rap game.

"I know there's a whole thing on censorship; this album is an easy target. I think it's misplaced," he said. He also seemed to criticize those who are against the use of the N-word in rap lyrics, noting there are other hurtful slurs in the language: "What are we going to do, take every word off the table?"

Jay-Z stressed that "American Gangster," due out Nov. 6, is an album with a story from beginning to end — something he says too many rap discs lack.

"I'm not knocking the way anybody makes (their music)," he said, "(but) I think a body of work is what the game needs right now."

"VH1 Storytellers: Jay-Z: Life of an American Gangster" debuts Nov. 8 on VH1. [AP]

Tags: Jay Z

After seeing the Jay-z Reasonable Doubt anniversary show at Radio City i don't see any reason to ever go to another Jay-z show again...

...unless it's free, or unless it's The Blueprint anniversary show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 11, 2007 7:36 PM

at what point does the crime gimmick become trite?

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2007 1:37 AM

I went tonite. Not a great show at all. Love Jay-z and love hip hop but live hip hop is just not that great. All in all not really worth the money. Good thing i sold my extras on Craigslist to a few idiots for a lot of money.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2007 4:42 AM

"at what point does the crime gimmick become trite?"

soon after the top shows on television are crime based (csi, law and order, 24, sopranos)

and the top movies

then maybe people will move on to something else

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2007 7:51 AM

i thought the show was fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2007 9:19 AM

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2007 9:38 AM

picture caption:

"Hey!!! Look at my big expensive peice of jewelry! I'll bet you can't afford something this huge and pricey, can you? Of course, you can't! Look at it again... I'll hold it up for you this time!!! LOOK AT IT!!!"

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2007 2:12 PM

Anonymous 9:38am: I am sorry that you clearly missed the Daft Punk show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2007 2:54 PM

"i thought the show was fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2007 9:19 AM"

"I've seen hundreds of concerts. Rarely any hip hop shows. The Reasonable Doubt concert was the best [concert] of 2006 and last night's was the best of 2007.

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2007 9:38 AM"

Clearly these 2 bumbling idiots were not at last night's show, have not been to an actual great show or plants or trying to make themselves feel better cause they paid way too much money to see a mediocre performance. Take your pick

Posted by Anonymous | November 12, 2007 3:11 PM

I went to the Jay-z show on Sunday night and it was dope, hot, fresh. Why you all gotta argue about shows and if this show was the greatest show on and on. Different people different opinions. I will say that for this show, the hype was unreal and the crowd was into it. He played with a full band and the beats sounded great. His new stuff sounded dope which is cool that he didn't just rely on his old sh*t.

Posted by JB | November 13, 2007 8:14 PM

"dope"? who talks like that anymore? why is Jay-Z cool? or shall we say.. "dope"...

Posted by Dopehead | November 13, 2007 8:52 PM

"shall"? who talks like that anymore?

why are you so insecure?

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2007 9:28 PM

re: Anon 9:28pm, I don't understand. what does insecurity have to do with this?

Posted by Dopehead | November 13, 2007 9:35 PM

Seriously, shut the fuck up. I'm 9:38. I did miss Daft Punk and I regretted it after seeing the home videos. Nevertheless, Jay Z was still the show of the year.

And to the other idiot adding in, you can save it. Just because you probably have some shit job where you make 50 grand and spend all your money on rent and Ramen, don't knock other people who can afford to have fun and do what they want. Stick to your $10 Mercury Lounge shows and shut the fuck up. You obviously haven't seen shit so have no right or business commenting on anything.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2007 11:18 PM

Hammerstien is a shitty venue. You shut the fuck up. You're probably spending your last welfare check just to get tickets while your 8 kids are home screaming in a freezing one bedroom apartment because you forgot to pay your con ed bill.

Posted by Rudy Ray Moore | November 14, 2007 12:02 AM

Hah, I'm 24 years old...without kids. I own my home. Save your effort. Stick to your $10 shows (when you can swing it). You can continue to rant about everyone else, but I'm sure deep down inside you know that it's just jealousy.

Waah, waah, waah. I can't afford to do anything cool, so I'll compensate by pretending I am somehow (somehow?) above it all.

In reality we all know it's not true. Hope you can move out of your rented studio in Chinatown someday soon.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 3:44 PM

^^^^ I'm sorry if our parents didn't die and leave us their house...

Posted by Jeans Fitter, Happier | November 14, 2007 3:50 PM