Posted in music on November 14, 2007

(CRED)
Kevin Drew & Feist

Gothamist: Broken Social Scene’s music has been featured on movies and TV shows. Have you licensed any of your songs for advertising?

Kevin Drew: No, we turned down a lot, a lot of commercials. And you have to understand that this was the last move we could make when we were starting out as a band, in terms of sort of making some kind of statement that we didn’t want to be an advertisement. But now, even compared to two years ago, it’s just completely different. There used to be a textbook you had to follow to be an independent band but that doesn’t even exist anymore.

Commercials are now the new mainstream radio and there’s not even an element of anyone suspecting a band is selling out anymore when you go and do commercials. That is now the way for you to get your music out there, that is the way for people to hear your music and purchase your records; it is the strongest force for getting your music out, which is fucking crazy! But it’s not my battle, you know. I think a lot of bands have been foolish about it and put their songs in really stupid commercials and I think a lot of people have been very smart about it and put their songs in very good spots.

Broken Social Scene (and very special guests) perform Kevin Drew's "Spirit If" (and other songs) at Webster Hall in NYC tonight (Nov 14, 2007).

"Commercials are now the new mainstream radio and there’s not even an element of anyone suspecting a band is selling out anymore when you go and do commercials"

Huh?

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 1:34 PM

thank you for integrity. thank you very much.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 1:37 PM

Are people really going to continue to to tolerate this idiocy?
I understand the dude is Canadian and it's all about the love and whatnot, but this is getting ridiculous.

Posted by Chris | November 14, 2007 1:57 PM

I agree with the radio analogy. I have non-musicy friennds who will buy records based on a song they heard on a commercial that they wouldn't have heard otherwise (go team for instance). Radio stations in most small towns and even medium sized cities isn't exactly cutting edge. It's basically a national clear channel rotation.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 2:00 PM

his girlfriend just got extremely popular due to exactly what he is talking about.. only idiocy here is those not understanding.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 2:03 PM

i'd rather see my favorite indie band hawking for a local car salesman than for Apple... because that's keeping it local and keeping it real.

woah.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 2:11 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 2:11 PM

He's just a poser.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 2:21 PM

enough of this fucking douche!!!!! ENOUGH!!!!

Posted by Funtimer | November 14, 2007 2:26 PM

bands have to get paid. when no one buys cds, then this is what they have to do.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 2:30 PM

"yeah, and if you're an independent band who loves making music and want to do it instead of temping or some bullshit, it's one of the only ways to really make any money and support yourself."

Well said.

All the haters on this post are just pissed because the bands they listen to that the majority doesn't know about(which makes them "cool"), are becoming "popular".

Posted by Paul | November 14, 2007 2:53 PM

how else you gonna get paid with 15 other f'n people in your band?

Posted by rickdeez | November 14, 2007 2:57 PM

If you want to sell your songs to McDonalds to buy a house, go for it. It's your life, your songs, your needs. If you feel bad about it, grow some balls Kevin! Not some of the lamest and dumbest excuses I have ever heard.

"Commercials are now the new mainstream radio."

Is he jealous of Feast's iPod commercial?

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 3:26 PM

music is my boyfriend

music is my girlfriend

music is my daddy

music's my imaginary friend

MY MUSIC IS WHERE ID LIKE YOU TO TOUCH

(also my iPod Touch is where id like you to touch)

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 3:49 PM

It seems like the issue most people have re: indie rock artists' songs appearing in commercials are merely related to the products they're pimping (i.e. WalMart = bad, so Band of Horses = sellouts, iPods = hip, sexy, so Feist = hip, sexy).

Does anyone really, really give a shit if indie rockers make a little cash off selling their songs to commercials? It seems like people are more pissed that their little, exclusive indie rock club is being hijacked by corporations, resulting in - gasp - un-hipster neocons liking YOUR music!

Gee golly!

Posted by Jeans Fitter, Happier | November 14, 2007 3:56 PM

"music is my boyfriend
music is my girlfriend
music is my daddy
music's my imaginary friend
MY MUSIC IS WHERE ID LIKE YOU TO TOUCH
(also my iPod Touch is where id like you to touch)"

Is this CSS?

Posted by A*ROC | November 14, 2007 4:48 PM

yup....perfect fit

wonder how much that has boosted their sales

Posted by rockynotbullwinkle | November 14, 2007 6:50 PM

For me, the problem with this is that we rarely ever hear an artist or a band say something honest and straightforward about a deal like this. Something along the lines of "yeah, they offered us a ton of cash and I just had my second kid and I've never owned a home and haven't had a vacation in 7 years so I took the money. It wasn't an easy decision, and I feel conflicted about it, but I'm happy that my mortgage is back under control and that my daughter has a fancy new tricycle etc. etc."
But instead we get all these self-important assholes being defensive about it, talking shit about "do you live off the grid?" or "this was the last move we could make when we were starting out as a band"
What a bunch of shit.

Wouldn't you love to hear someone say something like "I created this song for x purpose (that purpose being a complicated thing in itself) but this company offered me a lot of money to use the song for a different purpose. Purpose Y. I took their money and now they are using my song and that's my shit to deal with"

You know?

Seriously, there is just nothing worse than these BSS dudes.
Do you realize they have text on their record that reads, in large letters: "We Hate Your Hate"?

I mean, can you imagine anything more awful?

Posted by chris | November 15, 2007 12:29 AM

yeah, i can: selling people's memories to clorox.

Posted by Anonymous | November 15, 2007 1:35 AM

How was the show at Webster Hall? Anyone go?

Posted by edwyn the bear | November 15, 2007 7:15 AM

yeah, anyone got a setlist?

Posted by lewislfowler | November 15, 2007 1:46 PM

do you see the racist white trees in the racist forest in that picture?

racist!!!

Posted by sasha frere-jones | November 15, 2007 4:47 PM

god is nothing safe from Corporations? scary.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2007 8:13 PM

"I think a lot of people have been very smart about it and put their songs in very good spots."

A lot of people. You mean you ang your girlfriend?

Good spots? No such thing.

Kevin Drew is a wanker!(His music's pretty lame too!)

Posted by Anonymous | November 19, 2007 1:02 AM

Yeah I think Kevin Drew is completely wrapped up in his own self-importance, but I have mixed feelings on the subject. On one hand, I really respect Tom Waits for refusing to sell the rights to use his music in commercials and he even took a couple of companies to court over the years (and won). On the other hand, I was was reading an interview with Issac Brock and he said (about selling his music)
"Figuring out ways to pay the rent isn't really a tough decision. Around the time we did the beer commercial and the shoe commercial, I thought, "Am I compromising my music by doing this?" And I think not. I like keeping the lights on in my house. People who don't have to make their living playing music can bitch about my principles while they spend their parents' money or wash dishes for some asshole. Principles are something that people are a lot better at checking in other people than keeping their own."

I don't know, well put I think.
But Kevin Drew is still a fucking douchebag.

Posted by Pam | November 24, 2007 9:46 PM

I agree, Kevin Drew is a douchebag. He's so wrapped up in his own scene that unless you're "in" he's an obnoxious prick. Not worthy of admiration and not as talented as other Broken Social Scene musicians. A healthy dose of humility and holding off on the hard drugs would be a good start...

Posted by Pat | February 22, 2010 11:18 AM

Every indie rawk turd rocks a beard and plaid thanks to this guy. Clones... ps, douche!

Posted by Greg | April 27, 2010 3:33 AM

Let's get to the truth of the matter. You boys all just need a hug. Leave Kevin out of it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2010 11:24 PM

yeah, pretty sure every person who's dissed kevin drew/BSS so far on this post is an anti-hipster hip fucking hippie hippopotamus dude who's wishing they were in kd's position in general, music sell-out or not. this dude partnered up to get this pioneering sometimes 15 sometimes 8 piece band together to play music and share it with people who in turn LOVE it. the bitterness and jaded societal crap needs to stop, especially since BSS are out touring right now due to the immensely positive reaction the public has had to their latest album anyway.

whine and bitch all you want boys (or girls, whatever), but you know you'd rather be the one sitting being interviewed about something as, in the end, unimportant as "selling out" your music. the music industry is changing rapidly in so many directions that k.d.'s right when he says selling your music to commercials isn't considered "selling out" anymore.

regardless of Kevin Drew's "douchebag" decisions, Broken Social Scene are still rocking the crap out of people like you and me, whether you like it or not.

so shaddap.