Posted in hiphop | music | pictures | tour dates on November 13, 2007

mtvu

Tickets go on sale Wednesday for a December 18th Lupe Fiasco "record release" show at the Fillmore New York at Irving Plaza. The new record is called "The Cool", and the first single "Superstar" is streaming at Lupe's page.

I saw Lupe Fiasco perform last week - ONE WHOLE SONG (and with a member of Fall Out Boy) at the mtvU awards at Roseland - the same show Spank Rock was drunk at. That's Lupe in the photo above. It was taken by Leia Jospe for BrooklynVegan. So were all the other pictures in this post. More photos of Lupe, Rilo Kiley (played 2 or 3 songs), Annie Lennox (accepted an award), Peter Bjorn and John (nominated, men about town), Spank Rock (played 2 songs), Tokyo Police Club (played 2 or 3 songs, then explored the basement of Roseland with us) & other characters present at the event....

mtvu

deep in the bowels of Roseland with Tokyo Police Club....

mtvu

More in the Spank Rock drunken live-blogging post.

because of leia jospe, i don't have to bring a camera to concerts anymore.

Posted by Caitlin | November 13, 2007 9:18 PM

If there's a big event, if there's a big name somewhere in the crowd, Leia will find it. Leia will be there, and she will make sure you know JUST how it feels to be looking through her eyes. She turns journalist photography into an art; one of which she puts so much passion and effort into. She has some way (unknown to me) that she works with the camera, and listens to it, as if it were an animate, living, breathing creature...and she tends to every little detail. I've been a fan of Leia's for a while now, and I've seen her go from independent shows to being featured in big time events. I mean, just me seeing a photo of hers, the essence of it just makes me say to myself-

Hey. I want to check that out. What is this of? What does it say?

Sort of like the cliffhanger to a good novel. Only it's in the opening sentence.

Posted by Mario R Groppi | November 13, 2007 10:26 PM

yes, she is amazing :-)
and it's even better when you have her at your disposal as a personal photographer, show-going/band-meeting partner, and have permanently claimed her +1 to any event.
she really has proven my camera useless...

Posted by Caitlin | November 13, 2007 11:04 PM

Hi friends of Leia Jospe, I find her method highly annoying. She can't find the horizon. Or, she can, but to be "flashy/cool" she twists it to 20, 30 degree angle or whatever. Smacks of high faluting bullshit to me, or, at best,the old Batman tv show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 12:47 AM

too bad spank rock's music sucks so much ass cause it looks like the stage show is pretty entertaining. but i'd still rather see 2 live crew.

p.s. for his transgressions i must say lupe is a girls name.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 7:17 AM

lupe totally rules my face.

Posted by grace6697 | November 14, 2007 10:46 AM

i thought annie lennox was presenting an award....

Posted by felicia | November 14, 2007 12:52 PM

She could frame her shots much much better. She's got a good camera so the photos come out clear and crisp but as far as getting engaging photos she needs to work on that.

But hey, I've seen worse. But I've seen much much better too.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 1:18 PM

is that guster?

Posted by jazz | November 14, 2007 1:22 PM

"is that guster?"

yes, they won an award.

Posted by Anonymous | November 14, 2007 1:39 PM

Actually, to inspector Cluso, who says I'm friends with Leia, you're close- but not quite.

I found her on myspace and added her, because her and a few other photographers in the area have caught my eye with skill. So actually, I've never met her and I've talked with her maybe twice in my life.

So, close, but I'm a fan, not a friend.
=]

Posted by Mario R Groppi | January 27, 2008 4:11 AM

So, close, but I'm a fan, not a friend.
=]