Posted in music on November 13, 2007

same band, same venue, different year...
Mr Brownstone @ Bowery

Once again I found myself being rocked by Mr. Brownstone - this time reunited - at Bowery Ballroom in NYC until the wee hours of the morning on Saturday night (Nov 10, 2007). The four-band show started at 8pm, included a set by all metal Bee Gees cover band Tragedy, and ended around 3 in the morning. The sold out crowd sang along to pretty much every Guns N Roses song you could possibly want to hear (note: Brownstone are a Guns N Roses tribute band). There was lots of booze flowing - on stage and off....

The bass player fell off the stage, more or less on top of me, twice. The lead guitarist once. The guy wearing the kilt took a long swig of Jack Daniels and then spit it right on me. Really. A long, wet stream. I had to clean my glasses. Women were throwing bras on stage. And at least a hundred plastic glasses of beer were tossed up as well. Everyone was sopping wet. [The Year of Magical Painting]
As you know, the guy in the kilt sides as the drummer in another band, and it's that band that brings him back to Bowery Ballroom again tonight (Nov 13) (also sold out). Clap Your Hands Say Yeah play Studio B in Brooklyn tomorrow as well. Their latest tour dates, below....

CYHSY - Tour Dates
11.13.07: New York, NY // Bowery Ballroom // SOLD OUT!
11.14.07: Brooklyn, NY // Studio B // SOLD OUT!
11.16.07: Philadelphia, PA // Starlight Ballroom //
11.17.07: Washington, DC // Rock n Roll Hotel // SOLD OUT!
11.18.07: Washington, DC // Rock n Roll Hotel // SOLD OUT!
11.19.07: Washington, DC // Rock n Roll Hotel // SOLD OUT!
02.22.08: Perth, Australia // Laneway Festival //
02.23.08: Adelaide, Australia // Laneway Festival //
02.24.08: Melbourne, Australia // Laneway Festival //
02.26.08: Melbourne, Australia // The Hi-Fi
02.27.08: Sydney, Australia // Metro
02.28.08: Brisbane, Australia // The Zoo
03.01.08: Brisbane, Australia // Laneway Festival //
03.02.08: Sydney, Australia // Laneway Festival //

Previously
* more CYHSY Tour Dates, NYC shows, presales

I am at Bowery at least three nights a week, and I have NEVER seen that place as filthy as it was after this show. So many unidentified liquids covering the floor. What a night.

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2007 3:31 PM

sounds better than the real thing

Posted by blunts | November 13, 2007 4:07 PM

I could only last until 2AM. Really fun show.

Posted by hipster replacement | November 13, 2007 4:09 PM

"sounds better than the real thing"

in 2007, it is

Posted by Anonymous | November 13, 2007 4:13 PM

Tragedy was awesome and hilarious

Posted by JC | November 13, 2007 4:34 PM

after the show, i was tasered and imprisoned by izzy stradlin's tele...greatest night of my life!

Posted by bra-lessgroupie | November 13, 2007 5:57 PM

i wanna be tasered by izzy stradlin's left testicle.

Posted by om | November 13, 2007 10:25 PM

but why does the bass player have steven adler's curls?!

Posted by om | November 13, 2007 10:26 PM

Damn, that sounds fun as shit!!

Posted by Drugs Delaney | November 14, 2007 10:16 AM

The blow by blow, if you're interested. The Bee Gees sucked, by the way.

Let's call it Midnight--Mr. Brownstone arrives. Mr. Brownstone is the name of the band. It's also the name of a GnR song. It's also a reference to heroin. It's all making sense to me now, as I wrap that piece of rubber around my arm and start slapping the inside of my elbow with my two fingers, trying to find a vein.
12:01--Can't find a fucking vein. Decide not to do any heroin.
12:02--Mr. Brownstone launches into its set with a song that I, unlike literally everybody else in the place, had never heard even once in my life. Far be it from me to be a wet blanket, however, so I start bobbing up and down like everybody else.
12:04--I am standing close enough to the lead singer so that when the first half-filled cup of beer thrown from the audience hits his shoulder, we both get wet. Hmmm, I remember thinking.
12:15--The place is starting to go bananas. I look down and to my left where there, at first, appears to be an empty space in the crowd. It turns out, it's a guy in a wheelchair. He's going bananas too, only he's not standing up. Were it me in a wheelchair, I would have honestly been scared to death.
12:30--We've moved past bananas. It's bigger than bananas. The place is now plantains. Which, really, are just massive bananas. Just massive! I find myself screaming words to songs I didn't know I had in me. I wonder for a moment if this is what speaking in tongues is like.
12:45--It's possible that drool is coming out of the side of my mouth, but I can't tell. The lead singer has just taken a swig of Jack Daniels and then spit it back out. Right on me. Thank God I'm wearing my Manhattan College t-shirt.
12:50--Somebody--maybe a roady--leaps into the crowd from the stage.
12:53--The first bra comes flying over my head. It lands on the neck of the rhythm guitarist's Telecaster. Everybody appears to be playing Fenders, for you completists. Plus more beer. I like how the band members lean over the audience and flip us the bird. We, in a group, flip it back and scream "Fuck You" at the top of our lungs. So much beer is being transferred back and forth (the band likes to drink some and spit the rest), that the guitars are dripping wet.
Let's say Twenty of Two--Who knows where the time goes? I think I'm confused about what happened when. Suffice to say that at some point they slide into the kind of jammy, sloppy rendition of Knocking on Heaven's Door that makes you think two things: first--who knew Guns 'n' Roses wrote Knocking on Heaven's Door? and two--they must be wrapping up.
2:05--The bass player falls off the stage backwards. Me and this other guy catch him and push him back up. I try to steal his wallet, but he's not carrying one.
2:10--Slash falls off the stage a little ways from me so all I can do is flip him the bird and shout "Fuck you."
2:15--Bras and whiskey and beer and plastic beer cups fill the air. The band is slamming through another song (I must say, they were really good). I turn around and stare back at the crowd for about the hundredth time. I realize that nobody in this room is even close to my age. Is that odd? What, exactly, does that say about me? I wish I could figure out a Young Frankenstein brain scene joke, but I can't.
2:30--I can't type any more. Besides, the concert is over. I get in a cab. The cabbie asks where to? Before I can stop myself, I throw the rest of my beer at him and scream fuck you. Then I realize that you can't just act like this in public. I have to pretend to be normal now. My name is Abbie Normal. I go home. The rest is history.

Posted by Geoffrey Raymond | November 14, 2007 3:41 PM

did anyone see the ramones tribute band that opened? how were they?

Posted by anonymous | November 14, 2007 10:21 PM

"The place is starting to go bananas."

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Posted by Gwen | November 14, 2007 11:36 PM

Geoffrey, i hope you were joking when you wrote GnR wrote Knockin on Heavens Door.

Posted by only 7 when guns and roses was really popular | July 3, 2008 2:55 PM