Posted in MP3 | holiday music | music | tour dates on November 16, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Nellie McKay - A Christmas Dirge (MP3)

Nellie McKayNellie McKay is giving away the above song for free, but if you like it (I don't like it that much), consider making a donation to the Nellie McKay Disaster Fund (consider donating anyway).

Tickets are on sale for a Nellie show at 'The Concert Hall' (Ethical Culture Society) on December 15th. Tickets are also on sale for the Aimee Mann holiday show happening one day earlier at 'The Grand Ballroom' (Hammerstein). As Klaus pointed out, comedians Paul F Tompkins & Morgan Murphy are on the Aimee Mann bill. Nellie isn't, but she is playing a whole bunch of other shows with Aimee.

Nellie's new album Obligatory Villagers is out now. Hear Nellie on NPR's 'Fresh Air with Terry Gross' on November 21st (she's taking over the whole show). All tour dates below...

Nellie McKay - 2007 Tour Dates
Nov 26 Milwaukee, WI Turner Hall Ballroom (Headline)
Nov 27 Indianapolis, IN The Music Mill (Headline)
Dec 5 Portland, OR Aladdin Theater *
Dec 7 Aspen, CO Wheeler Opera House *
Dec 8 Boulder, CO Boulder Theater *
Dec 10 Minneapolis, MN Guthrie Theater *
Dec 11 Chicago, IL Vic *
Dec 12 Ann Arbor, MI Michigan Theater *
Dec 15 New York, NY The Concert Hall (Headline)
Dec 20 Annapolis, MD Ram’s Head (Headline)

* w/ Aimee Mann

ALSO: "December 21st will mark Nellie's feature film debut in 'P.S. I Love You,' - not since OJ Simpson in 'The Naked Gun' series has the screen erupted with such prodigious passion and raw muscularity."

Aimee Mann - 2007 Tour Dates
Dec 15 - Tarrytown Music Hall Tarrytown, New York
Dec 16 - Berklee Performance Center Boston, Massachusetts
Dec 17 - The Birchmere Alexandria, Virginia
Dec 18 - The Birchmere Alexandria, Virginia

Previously
* more Nellie McKay

Has anyone gone to an Aimee Mann Christmas show in the past? Any good?

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2007 2:02 PM

First off, I think "A Christmas Dirge" is WONDERFUL!

Second, I think the dates Nellie is appearing with Aimee are incorrect. Where did you get this information?

Posted by nightlight | November 16, 2007 2:10 PM

I went to her show last year in Boston. It was OK. She sang around 1/3 Xmas songs, some done as duets with Grant Lee Phillips. She also had some comedians with her who were only sporadically funny and who did comedy bits between Aimee's songs, which made for a disjointed show. I am actually surprised she is doing this tour again. Maybe the Boston show was an off night?

Posted by edwyn the bear | November 16, 2007 2:42 PM

Am I the only one who finds Nellie to be unbearably presious? And it sems like she never stops playing the NYC area. She's the professional equivalent of the pain-in-the-ass co-worker with the homemade flyer and the "Come See My Show. Please" whine....

Posted by anonymous | November 16, 2007 3:10 PM

I'd contribute to an "Amy Winehouse Disaster Fund." Seems more appropriate. And fun.

Posted by J | November 16, 2007 4:41 PM

Aimee Mann's show is good... but she's charging $45 at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, which means I will not be seeing her.

Posted by Anonymous | November 16, 2007 6:00 PM

I don't know about precious per se... I mean a lot of the rapping stuff is kind of anti-precious. Unless I just don't understand what that word means, or you mean pretentious.

Because she's pretty fucking pretentious, but Jesus she rules. I hope some day she will consider getting married to me in a public forum.

Posted by Graham | November 17, 2007 2:54 AM