Posted in industry | music on November 8, 2007

In Rainbows

Radiohead has set a Dec. 31 international release date for the physical version of its new album, "In Rainbows."

The album will be released on CD and vinyl, followed by the single, "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" on Jan. 14. Formats for the single will be announced shortly.

Both album and single will be released outside the United States on XL Recordings. A spokesperson for the band said that details for the U.S. physical release are not yet finalized, although ATO/Side One Recordings is by far the front-runner to sign Radiohead there. [Billboard]

4 Things:
  • No Radiohead for the Holidays, unless your holiday is New Years Eve
  • I think the whole thing about most people not paying for the Radiohead album is probably true, but seems a little to silly to obsess about because the data is based on some poll. I'm pretty sure I read that Radiohead hasn't released the actual numbers.
  • Those numbers don't take into account all the people that will pay for the CD when it comes out - even if they downloaded it. (or do they? - I didn't read it all actually)

Tags: Radiohead

simple solution was to get the disc box thing.. you get TWO cds, the vinyl, a lyrics/art book, AND the digital download. yes, 80 bucks is expensive, but persoanlly well worth it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 1:22 PM

Can't wait!

Posted by Craig | November 8, 2007 1:23 PM

they actually just posted a message saying that the numbers on the internet (38% paying) were wrong

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 1:24 PM

i've said from the beginning that this was a scam. guess we'll see when people start complaining about paying for something twice.

Posted by ko | November 8, 2007 1:34 PM

THAT BABY is in a field of rainbow colored lollipops!

That baby is IN RAINBOWS!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 1:45 PM

1. whoever wants already downloaded, or bought the discbox which arrives early december. yes, indeed radiohead for the holidays.

2. the download was only available through their site. only they have the real numbers which they have not released. until they do this discussion means nothing. it's all heresay til then.

3. no those numbers dont take into account all the people who will buy the physical release because it hasnt been released yet.

4. discount? scam? they offered this thing for f'n free people. if you want the physical cd then buy the discbox or download for free and then buy the physical copy on jan. 1st. you dont have to pay twice by any means.

oh and its radiohead. you should pay 3 times.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 1:47 PM

how was it a scam again? people seem to be forgetting that paying nothing was an option offered by the band... to me its just good business. try before you buy! i "bought" the download for 0.00 and then ordered the discbox after determining that the album was totally awesome and worth it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 1:48 PM

Blah, blah, blah.
While you're writing about how Radiohead is putting out an album that you can get right now, The Blood Brothers are breaking up.

Dear Friends,

After 10 years of making music as The Blood Brothers, we have made the collective decision that our time together has come to an end. We feel extremely fortunate to have spent such a deeply memorable and amazing part of our lives with each other. At this point, however, we feel it's best that our futures move forward on separate paths. We'd like to express our sincerest thanks and gratitude to all the bands we've played with, individuals who have helped us make our records, and fans who have come to our shows and picked up our music throughout the years. Your friendship, support and love hold such a profoundly special place in each of our hearts. We hope that the memories you attach to our music are as fond as those you have given us. Thank you and take care, we'll miss all of you.

Love,
The Blood Brothers

Courtesy of their website, and myspace.

WRITE ABOUT THIS!!

Posted by Information | November 8, 2007 1:57 PM

When will this topic just go away...

Posted by CN | November 8, 2007 1:58 PM

To answer #4... this is why I didn't pay for the download in the first place. And I know lots of other people had the same reasoning. We got called out for being cheap bastards on some sites, but I guess we just didn't want to be "scammed" into buying this thing twice.

Posted by Matt | November 8, 2007 2:12 PM

i will totally pay for it twice.

Posted by grace6697 | November 8, 2007 3:01 PM

get over yourselves. it's not a scam. pay something... pay nothing... you were given the option. i didn't pay, but i WILL buy the hard copy cd when it comes out. I'm not doing the whole lp option, just waiting until the regular cd hits stores. so, as for now it's in my ipod, but after the new yeare, it will join my cd collection.

does this make me cheap? no. just not willing to pay twice. ferchrissakes! it's Radiohead. if you're a fan, you know you won't be disappointed, so why even try to justify it with the "try before you buy" thing.

Posted by jp | November 8, 2007 3:03 PM

i will totally pay for it twice.

Posted by grace6697 | November 8, 2007 3:04 PM

it was never advertised as a "try before you buy" sort of thing though - it was supposed to take the place of the release of the cd orignally - not a fucking preview of the cd.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 3:42 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 3:42 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 3:42 PM

we all are Radiohead stupid, so we'll buy whatever our masters tell us to

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 3:57 PM

Before there was a download available, they said there were plans in the works for a physical CD.

And I wouldn't call the download a preview. It's the album. Just at a lower bit rate and with no art. AND IT'S REALLY GOOD.

Posted by pickles | November 8, 2007 4:04 PM

well their manager called the download a "preview for the superior quality sounding cd"....

so why exactly was this so revolutionary if it was just a preview for the cd? Because they coerced fans to "donate" money for listening to the preview unlike any artist ever beofre?

Tons of artists have streamed their records for free in advance - Wilco did Sky Blue Sky earlier this year at 128kbps.....in rainbows wasn't revolutionary in the least.....

the download was supposed to be the "release" of in rainbows - the band copped out and didn't follow through by releasing the audio files at a proper bit-rate. You can do lossless in this day and age - they fucking copped out.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 4:11 PM

Lossless would've increased the file size about ten times if you're talking about no compression. Multiply that times hundreds of thousands of downloads. Are you getting the picture? And can you really hear the difference? I'm sure some people can. Most people, probably not. Personally, my hearing's too damaged from too many concerts.

Radiohead basically controlled their own leak. Pretty smart. And I'm glad they didn't just stream it. Otherwise I wouldn't have it on my iPod right now. I have no problem with the band issuing a proper CD, as they intended to do all along. I'm sure they have tons of fans without broadband internet access, mp3 players, or CD burners. Why shouldn't they have access to the album, too?

Posted by pickles | November 8, 2007 4:24 PM

pickles, you have no idea what you're talking about. Flac IS compression. Its LOSSLESS compression.
The file size would have been about 3 or 4 larger, depending upon the level of flac compression used.

And sorry about your hearing. You're missing a lot if you think that 20% of the music is the same as 100% of the music.

Posted by nyctaper | November 8, 2007 4:56 PM

Oh, ok. I stand corrected. But I think I'm hearing more than 1/5th of the Radiohead album. That formulation seems a bit simplistic, to say the least. I'm sure the people who listen to your bootlegs appreciate your concern with audio quality, though.

Posted by pickles | November 8, 2007 5:05 PM

i'm 99% sure they said the album would be available later as a cd before the download was released.

Posted by twaaa? | November 8, 2007 5:32 PM

I really don't think the Radiohead boys themselves would have put the mp3s out there if they sounded like shit. On my computer and car speakers they sound perfectly fine (and that's where I play 'em). I heard they used a very good encoder and so the files are really more like those recorded at a somewhat higher bitrate. I am just 100% sure the guys sat around and listened to the mp3s and decided they were decent enough to release, and if they're decent enough for Thom and Jonny, well you know...

Posted by Deb | November 8, 2007 6:01 PM

i want live stuff from "bends"-era concerts, not some $80 new stuff or repackaged old stuff.

Posted by Grumpy Gramps | November 8, 2007 8:38 PM

I dled it for free off their site because I knew eventually it would come out on CD.

I will purchase the CD when it comes out...most likely at Best Buy because CDs are 9.99 the day they are released no matter who it is.

As much as I heart Radiohead, I'm po - but still a supporter by purchasing the hard copy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 9:06 PM

"Radiohead basically controlled their own leak."

That pretty much sums up this VERY worn out topic. Oh yeah, I could care less how many people downloaded In Rainbows.

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2007 11:44 PM

Its good they're controlling their own leaks now, because in another 10-15 years, they're going to need medication to do that.

Posted by nyctaper | November 9, 2007 12:59 AM

how would medicine control their... oh...you mean their pee pee!

Posted by Anonymous | November 9, 2007 1:42 AM

Not very cool and indie, I gather, to bring up the bottom line here, but if 62% of 1.2 million people paid 6 bucks each, that's almost 3 million bucks that goes directly into the bank accounts of the members of Radiohead. I doubt they're complaining.

If 1.2 million people bought the CD for full price, under normal conditions, they wouldn't make that much money from it.

They win.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2007 1:38 AM

Oops. I mean 38% of 1.2 million people. The rest of the numbers are the same.

Posted by Anonymous | November 10, 2007 1:40 AM