Posted in MP3 | music | tour dates on November 28, 2007

DOWNLOAD: Jesca Hoop - Seed Of Wonder (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Jesca Hoop - Enemy (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Jesca Hoop - Havoc In Heaven (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Jesca Hoop - Silverscreen (live on KCRW) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Jesca Hoop - Big Fish (live on KCRW) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Jesca Hoop - LifeWithinALife (live on KCRW) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Jesca Hoop - Phonograph (live on KCRW) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Jesca Hoop - Havoc in Heaven (live on KCRW) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Jesca Hoop - Seed of Wonder (live on KCRW) (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Jesca Hoop - FixIt Men (live on KCRW) (MP3)

Nic Harcourt

1) Jesca Hoop - Kismet (Columbia)
2) Ting Tings - Demos (Self-Released)
3) Salt & Samovar - Old Joy, New Joy (Self-Released)
4) Radiohead - In Rainbows (Radiohead.com)
5) Aqualung - Memory Man (Columbia)
6) Seawolf - Leaves In the River (Dangerbird Records)
7) Great Northern - Trading Twilight for Daylight (Eenie Meenie)
8) LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver (EMI)
9) Federico Aubele - Panamericana (ESL)
10) Once - Original Soundtrack (Sony)
Jesca HoopCompare Nic Harcourt's list to Paste's. (via)

Jesca Hoop has two California shows coming up. Nic & Jesca both have letters missing in their first names (just kidding).

Videos below...

Jesca Hoop - Big Fish

JESCA HOOP IN NEW ORLEANS-LOVE IS ALL WE HAVE

Now see, with this list, it doesn't match up with what my choices would be. But I can respect this list, as opposed to Paste's list. Paste's list was unimagination and showed no thought or consideration whatsoever. This at least reflects something other than hype and ad dollars.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 12:40 PM

I respect no list that is "published" prior to hearing new Ghostface and Lupe Fiasco.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 12:42 PM

In that case, you will not "respect" any list from 2007...

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 1:34 PM

In that case, you will not "respect" any list from 2007...

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 1:34 PM

You know something I don't? Ghostface is still due out Tuesday, yes? And Lupe on December 18th... last time I checked that was 2007. So, no, I don't have any "respect" for any list that subscribes to the 11 month calendar.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 1:40 PM

New Ghost is streaming @ Def Jam. Nic listened to it, he just can't forgive Ghost for failing to turn in a verse for Life Changes.

Also, 8 Diagrams > Big Doe

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 1:53 PM

Federico Aubele? This guy went too far.

Posted by Eduardo | November 28, 2007 1:54 PM

Not the date, just the fact that you think either of those albums would make it on any top 2007 list :0

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 1:55 PM

so what do people think of the stylus list in comparison to paste or harcourt?

paste's list is probably fine for people who don't read brooklynvegan. it's all in how far off the beaten track you have to be taken to be introduced to something interesting. not everyone is at the same place, so, like, different audience...

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 2:06 PM

so what do people think of the stylus list in comparison to paste or harcourt?

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 2:10 PM

Yeah, I don't peg Nic Harcourt as a Ghostface fan... at least not enough to be in a top 10. Have you ever listened to Morning Becomes Eclectic?

Posted by jp | November 28, 2007 2:11 PM

I'd rather listen to Federico Aubele over a majority of the boring indie rock coming out these days. Nic Harcourt’s an actual music fan, not just into what everyone else thinks is cool at the moment. How about a BV list?

Posted by jjazznola | November 28, 2007 2:31 PM

Posted by jjazznola | November 28, 2007 2:34 PM

Kind of a dull list, unsurprisingly.

I'm not really that high on Jesca's album, a bit overproduced I think, but she was great at Music Hall of Williamsburg a few weeks ago.

Posted by bill p | November 28, 2007 3:02 PM

jesca poop

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 3:36 PM

Though I do respect Mr. Harcourt and loved his "Sounds Eclectic" show on NPR that was boardcast here in NYC on WFUV @ 4 AM!!!!! on Saturday nights/Sunday mornings (why was that taken of air?), but I think his picks for '07 is biased beacuse KCRW is based in LA and three of his picks are either from, or based out of LA:

Jesca Hoop
Seawolf
Great Northern

I'm all for championing local music but is LA considered "local" in this regard?

Posted by b.LOUD | November 28, 2007 3:51 PM

i guess it was only a matter of time before a band used the word "samovar" in their name.

Posted by j | November 28, 2007 4:02 PM

I think Jesca Hoop has a lot of talent\potential\whatever (go see her playing live, if you want proof) but I agree with the comment about the album being overproduced.. too slick, in my opinion, and it feels a bit too much like a pick-and-mix portfolio of all the styles she can succesfully dabble in.. those weird haunted edges to her live songs are kind of ironed out. Might be interesting to see what direction she takes in the future, though.

Posted by Richie | November 28, 2007 5:15 PM

Jesca's actually got 3 shows lined up (not 2). Here's one her site didn't want to mention, apparently: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/09003F5DD96E7C79?artistid=1171937&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 5:37 PM

Amazing that Harcourt is on to Salt & Samovar... great band. Their album (I got it on itunes) is fantastic and I saw them a few weeks ago at Mercury (and Rodeo Bar a while before that) and they are even better live. For once in my life I feel like I'm on to somebody that some of you will be listening to in 6 month or a year and I can talk about when I saw them up close in little places. Makes up for missing out on the National until this year. haha.

Posted by Juan | November 28, 2007 7:11 PM

just checked... S&S will be at Mercury again later this month:

Posted by juan | November 28, 2007 7:15 PM

"Amazing that Harcourt is on to Salt & Samovar"

And why would you say that?

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 10:53 PM

Nic Harcourt gets to stay proud of himself. Good for him.
I don't really think he rates in Rainbows that high though, he is just angling to have them on his show.

Posted by NPARRRR | November 29, 2007 2:31 PM