Posted in music on November 27, 2007

8. Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
9. Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
10. Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog
11. Radiohead - In Rainbows
12. Avett Brothers - Emotionalism
13. Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
I'll have to try and find that Ólöf Arnalds disk they have at #38.
Ólöf Arnalds, Múm's collaborator for the past three years, recently released her debut solo album, Við og við, on 12 Tónar. The release was produced by Sigur Ros' Kjartan Sveinsson and is avalaible here. [getecho]
The whole list of 100 @ Paste, and check out the Ólöf Arnald video below...

Ólöf Arnalds performs Klara @ Iceland Airwaves

wilco at #7? hahahahahahhaha

Posted by P Niddy | November 27, 2007 5:06 PM

wow. what an incredibly uninspired list!
chock full of everything thats been overhyped all year!
wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Posted by pd | November 27, 2007 5:15 PM

^^^^^^^

As opposed to all the overhyped indie blog albums...

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 5:22 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 5:24 PM

boxer is very deserving.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 5:25 PM

crap list. i don't even see daft punk on it

Posted by hipster poseur | November 27, 2007 5:28 PM

I read it like:

1. Kind of boring
2. All right
3. Boring
4. All right
5. Feist - The Reminder
6. M.I.A. - Kala
7. Boring
8. Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
9. Band of Horses - Cease to Begin
10. (I haven't heard it yet)
11. Radiohead - In Rainbows
12. (I haven't heard it yet)
13. Gets old pretty bad

Just my personal opinion.

Posted by Eduardo | November 27, 2007 5:40 PM

yeah, just generic indie rock bullshit. no surprise, though.

the field's from here we go sublime is top notch stuff, unfortunately doesn't seem like many heard it.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 5:43 PM

oh and people really need to stop being fucking close minded and listen to hip-hop. shit is banging.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 5:44 PM

why does everyone call it indie? most of that is major label

hardly any indie on there and even the stuff that's "indie" is BOH (read wallmart ad) or Radiohead which is really only indie by default

I guess the national are "true indie"

but damn I don't get what the big deal is about them

dirty projectors were robbed!
can't accuse them of being boring!

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 5:46 PM

I love this quote from anon@5:24

"Oh, that's why I don't read Paste. Maybe this list should be called "Top 100 bands who's labels advertised in our magazine this year.""

hahahaha

so ON POINT
it's insane

that's exactly how it works there

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 5:47 PM

i'm confused, how do you know who advertised in a magazine if you don't read it?

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 5:59 PM

I, for one, always check to make sure something is appropriately indie before I permit myself to like it.

Posted by music fan | November 27, 2007 6:34 PM

dirty projectors suck

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 6:37 PM

Anonymous 6:37 sucks

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 6:40 PM

pretty uninspired list

at least pitchfork throws you a few curveballs, and sky blue sky in the top 10? yeah right, i wonder if the 3 car commercials put them over the top.

Posted by yobaby | November 27, 2007 6:40 PM

A few quick thoughts:

I noticed that they forgot The Field's "From Here We Go Sublime" before you did.

Where are Brooklyn's favorite Manhattan crackers Vampire Weekend?

Neon Bible? More like "Neon Piece of Crap."

I don't respect any list that omits Annie Lennox's "Songs of Mass Destruction." Powerful stuff.

Posted by staten island omnivore | November 27, 2007 6:44 PM

"Neon Piece of Crap."

whoa, slow down bruce vilanch - you've got me in stitches!!

Posted by easily amused | November 27, 2007 6:49 PM

The National are #1? These people need to out more. They are BORING!

Bjork #30? Ahead of all these here today, gone tomorrow lame acts?

"Top 100 bands who's labels advertised in our magazine this year" Good one.

This must be the case.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 7:02 PM

I expect to disagree with a percentage of any year end list - but no Panda Bear??!

Posted by scott | November 27, 2007 7:07 PM

boxer is very good but alligator was better. strawberry jam not in the top 10 is a tragedy and i am plucking my fingernails out one by one in mourning.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 7:10 PM

i was disappointed by the stage names, but were there really 74 albums better than it? not trying to be cheeky or anything, i just want some yes/no responses?

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 7:47 PM

I'm not trying to defend Paste, they lost me when they put Kanye on the cover, but why do people get so upset by year-end lists? Do you really expect everyone to publish lists that directly reflect what you perceive to be the year's best work? Personally, that would bore me, I'd rather read a list that runs contrary to what I'd pick. I already know my favorite albums of the year, I don't need some publication to validate that.

Everyone has different tastes, this is obvious, but somehow so many still get pissy and defensive when they come across something that disagrees with their affections. Paste or whoever it may be are just media outlets, run by people with their own ideas about what's good. No one holds the power to determine the absolute great art for a population, it has and always will be individually defined.

Instead of bemoaning the exclusion of one of your favorite groups from a year-end list, spend the time you would've wasted critiquing another's opinion to seek out more brilliant art that makes you feel amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 7:59 PM

Every year end list is bullshit and wrong. Srsly.

Their only purpose should be to remind you of what records may have slipped by in the glut of shitty ego-driven jangly faggotry that gets posited by twee tastemakers.

Posted by Chris | November 27, 2007 8:14 PM

to 7:59:

i love reading lists that reflect tastes that are different than mine. but this list doesn't reflect anyone's taste. all it reflects is (1) advertising money, (2) someone's empty-headed idea of... i don't know even what...

Posted by om | November 27, 2007 8:32 PM

no new NIN (Year Zero) & Smashing Pumpkins (Zeitgeist) on these lists?Those two albums (along with Radiohead's In Rainbows #11?)are loud,futuristic and kind of political but NOT BORING.No mumbling big words with an acoustic guitar.

But the list has all the overhyped indie-to- major bands.And Bruce Springsteen sitting at #3.What more could u want!

Posted by James | November 27, 2007 8:55 PM

the national is awesome. and i hate it when stuff i like is #1. but that's ok, i guess...

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 9:02 PM

I was actually pretty psyched to see "Boxer" at #1. I've probably listened to it more than any other album that's come out this year...

Posted by rocked the shit | November 27, 2007 9:21 PM

Boxer is a fine album. No, it's not something you put on when you're in the mood to jump off a table and break lampshades, but I've found it to be a great companion when I'm feeling contemplative. It's what I would consider a mood album, you have to be in a certain frame of mind to appreciate it fully. I'm sure to some people find it boring since the music's almost completely mid to down-tempo, and Berninger's voice isn't for everyone. I happen to love his unique delivery, and his lyrics are some of the most poetic in indie rock. And if you listen closely, the guitars make some very pretty sounds.

It's unfortunate that whenever an album or group ends up on the top of any silly media "best-of" list, it's backlash time for them. I very highly doubt that any of the band members personally bribed Paste to vote their album the best of 2007. Who would wish such disdain upon themselves?

Instead of bitching out the artists that had the misfortune to make an album that a certain group of people you don't care for (in this case the staff of Paste) enjoyed, post some of your favorite releases and a bit about why you preferred them to what Paste chose. Why stoop to the level of accusing Paste of taking kickbacks when you have absolutely no proof of it? Or is the fact that they didn't put your choices on the list all the proof you need? It's immature to carelessly throw around such allegations.

For all the skeptics: I don't have a subscription to Paste or even really agree with their list, and Boxer isn't my favorite album of the year, I just happen to feel it's being unfairly judged. I'm sick of reading music brats whine about how their favorite albums are overlooked. Be thankful for it, if magazines put them onto their lists, you wouldn't allow yourself to like them anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 9:25 PM

the national had everything going for them: an indie label, a unique sound, great lyrics, impressive live show, increasingly solid releases, all around cool guys...

and then their album got voted no. 1 by some insignificant magazine called paste.

such a shame, they could've been great.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 9:34 PM

I highly agree with the above poster. Quit bitching and instead try praising artists that are being recognized for their talents.
The National definitely deserve to be in the top 10. By this time, positions in a list are arbitrary as it is all good music.
The White Stripes have put together one of the most complex and original blues-rock albums I have heard in a long time. Regardless of taste, if you cannot 'hear' that, then you're opinions are moot.
Same goes for Wilco. No its not Yankee Hotel. That's the whole point. It's a completely different album reflecting a completely different band. Musically it is bang on and everything a true fan of the band could hope for.
I have similar feelings for the rest of the group. They are great deserving artists and yes there are many others out there. I wouldn't consider this 'my top 10 list' for the year. Again, this is whole point of music in general. To be individually satisfying to the listener. I like hearing recommendations by other posters as to their favourite albums of the year. But I'm sick of having to read their other shitty remarks laced with mindless drivel.
In the words of the Arcade Fire 'Wake UP'

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 9:50 PM

Another point... who the hell cares that it was Paste that made up this list? Would it be more credible if it was the uptight gang at Pitchfork? The deskers at Rolling Stone? or Spin? It doesn't matter who made it up folks. It could easily just be some guy is his basement who scrawled it down on a chalkboard.
I'm done my rant now.

ps- poster at 9:34. I enjoy your joke.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 9:55 PM

what's unfortunate is that the joke is the reality for some of the people on here.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 10:18 PM

boxer is a solid release, for sure. my only complaint is how unmotivated it seems when they came up with that top 10. i'm just saying they should diversify their interests. m.i.a. is probably the only one on there that actually fits into a different genre of sorts.

people are still sleeping on hip-hop and really should wake up by now. lil' wayne's da drought 3 was a fantastic release, as was jay-z' american gangster.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 10:25 PM

AMEN the Lil Wayne and Jay-Z, and good job putting out your list before you hear three of the most anticipated albums of the year in Wu-Tang, Ghostface, Lupe Fiasco. Ghostface and Lupe were all over top 10 lists last year... but hey, we wanted to make a list and were getting antsy! DECEMBER IS A VACUUM!!

ps... the Wu-Tang isn't actually that great... but lord knows PASTE hadn't heard it when they put this list together... still better than a billion albums on here.

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2007 11:33 PM

my thoughts exactly, 7:07. WHERE OH WHERE IS PANDA BEAR??? that record was the bugout soundtrack for stoners nationwide.

Posted by kim | November 28, 2007 12:29 AM

No Gogol Bordello?

All this list does is demonstrate the sad state of music in 2007.

I enjoyed White Chalk by PJ Harvey more than anything else on that stupid list.

Feist #4?. They watch too much TV!

The National #1? Wake me up when their 15 minutes of fame is over with.

For all you folks hating Arcade Fire, they must be doing something right! In case you haven't noticed, they're pretty popular.

It's interesting that so called "hipsters" are into Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings. Her and her type of music has been around forever and got hardly a notice until her band played with Amy Winehouse. Says to me a lot of people out there are just into the scene and not really music fans.

Posted by jjazznola | November 28, 2007 1:51 AM

No Grinderman? But they include The Clientele? Ha Ha Ha!

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 2:24 AM

Panda Bear was my favourite this year...

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 6:48 AM

Paste magazine sucks. it's just the slightly more indie alternative to rollingstone for 50 somethings.

If you've never read it before, this list is a pretty good indication of what they write about, the most mainstream of indie stuff.

Posted by Milky B | November 28, 2007 9:55 AM

personally i have no idea how you guys remember releases within the past year haha

i live and die by upcoming albums but i cant, for the life of me, remember what has come out in the past year well enough to make a list. guess you can look it up but then theres just a huge chance you miss something.

Dissapointed cassadega, devendra banhart, and justice is so low. probably my 3 favorite albums along with the reminder this past year :/ (from what i can remember [: )

Posted by peter | November 28, 2007 10:11 AM

Where's Gogol Bordello? Why is Justice, the metal of French house, so low? Why is GBQ so low? That album was so GREAT!!!

I'm very upset that they gave the top 2 *obvious indie HEROES* Arcade Fire and The National.

If anything, I put them in the 20s-30s. The albums were good, but the Radiohead album was definitely better the both of 'em. Justice should've been at least 15.

Posted by Anonymous | November 28, 2007 10:22 AM

No Pantha Du Prince.
No Panda Bear.

Of Montreal @ 31, Animal Collective @ 64, St. Vincent @ 67, Menomena @ 85

vs.

Band of Horses @ 9 (?!), Amy Winehouse @ 13 (?!!!!!!), Ryan Adams @ 16.

Wow. I do like BoH, but at 9? Really? That album is fine, but certainly not deserving of a 9. And in what whacked out world does Amy Winehouse/Ryan Adams get better billing than Animal Collective's Strawberry Jam and Of Montreal's Hissing Fauna?

No, all lists won't satisfy all people. There's just no way. But some of the rankings seem so out of whack.

And again; no Panda Bear and no Pantha Du Prince? Really?

Posted by Paste E | November 28, 2007 11:28 AM

Ólöf Arnald's album is wonderful! I saw her at St.Mark's church a few months ago, it was truly beautiful---glad she was given a spot on the list--although the list isn't that great.

Posted by rebecca | November 28, 2007 12:05 PM

Paste Mag is a little too Adult Contemporary to really look outside the box on this one. Yes, Boxer is an excellent album. But as much as I like Wilco, they do not deserve the #7 position on this list. Whatever.
Where the hell is BV's list?

Posted by Darnell | November 28, 2007 12:16 PM

this list is not indie enough for me!! WAAAAAH!

...M.I.A., Radiohead, Wilco, and The White Stripes may be too popular for y'all, but they still put out some of the most enjoyable and well-crafted albums of the year.

Posted by Anonymous | December 1, 2007 12:03 PM