Posted in music on November 1, 2007

only one cardinal (CRED)
Ryan Adams & The Cardinal

In spite of a supremely generous set length (3+ hours and roughly thirty songs), I left last night's Ryan Adams show sorely disappointed. In fact, out of the near-dozen times I've seen Ryan over the past few years, I would easily place this gig at the bottom of the list. I'm not certain if it was a lack of energy, the reinterpreted versions of Ryan's older tunes and/or a general longing for Ryan's incomparable stage banter, but something seemed slightly off. [says the Music Slut]
Ryan Adams & The Cardinals played a Halloween show at Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC last night (Oct 31, 2007). Set list below....

Setlist:

I See Monsters

[Encore]
Let It Ride
Down In A Hole
What Sin Replaces Love.

none of this I guess....

$40 bucks. that's just crazy.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 11:52 AM

Um. I disagree 150 percent.

Posted by anon | November 1, 2007 11:56 AM

Could it possible be because Hammerstein Ballroom is probably the worst venue in the city? It's already ruined PJ Harvey and Death Cab For Cutie/Franz Ferdinand for me -- I know I refuse to ever go back there. No place to rest on the floor level, awful sound, lousy beer with insanely long lines. The place is utter crap.

Posted by RL | November 1, 2007 11:57 AM

agreed... that show stank. ryan needs to drink & drug again....

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 11:57 AM

I thought the show itself was great. Ryan played really well and the songs sounded terrific. The crowd however was absolutely terrible. A lot of frat dudes bringing their best gal to see Ryan Adams because she likes it and the music expresses how she feels about their complicated relationship. Also, Hammerstein can burn in hell, thanks for overselling by 500+. The place was packed beyond belief. I left pretty disappointed.

Posted by dkeady | November 1, 2007 11:59 AM

when i saw him couple years ago in philly he played for like 3hrs....how long did he play las tnight???

Posted by damn! | November 1, 2007 12:00 PM

you can't by anybody (unless it's someone you truly know and know well and trust) but yourself.
this sounds like it was an awesome show, but i wasn't there so i can't say.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:01 PM

solid music, just slow, it needed to be at the beacon or town hall -- if he's going to drag out the songs, and slow every song down dont pack 3000 people together.

boring show.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:04 PM

Should have gone to Patti and the Crowes! Badass show. Basement Tapes cover, Stones Cover and Patti tore it up with the band on Non-Fiction.

Place hippie comments below.

Posted by halified | November 1, 2007 12:07 PM

"A lot of frat dudes bringing their best gal to see Ryan Adams because she likes it and the music expresses how she feels about their complicated relationship."

hard to believe there were those types of "frat" guys there.
ryan isn't exactly writing "frat" guy or girl music.
strange.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:07 PM

Show came in around 2 h 45m I think? Anyone notice how the beer was warm and flat? When are they going to sell Hammerstein? They should turn it into a roller disco.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:08 PM

i agree that the show sucked. i didnt go to see the greatful dead jam out for 3 hours, i went to see ryan adams flail out to alt-country rock. the crowd was definitely oversold and it was mostly meatheads who wanted to push through to the head of the crowd when there was no room to go anywhere. i wasnt surprised when 15% of people left after the first set, another 20% after the second set and people continued to walk out during the neverending encore.

on halloween, could you please at least play halloweenhead in a rocking fashion rather than slow boring ass piano??

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:09 PM

Anon 12:07: I disagree. With his turn towards more "jam" based live songs and his playing with Phil Lesh etc. I think he has become more popular with "frat" or whatever you want to call the douchebags that were there last night. I could be wrong though. Maybe this was an isolated incident.

Posted by dkeady | November 1, 2007 12:11 PM

Anybody remember what they played when the house lights came on at the end of the night? It was like Foreigner or Journey, something cheesy, but I sang along. I think they definately wanted to get people out though.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:13 PM

you are all douchebags, just like Ryan Catbag Adams.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:15 PM

IMO it was a good show but I think people's expectations were really high because it was Halloween. People wanted crazy covers and lots of energy. Instead Ryan played a very tight mellow set.

Posted by danfun | November 1, 2007 12:16 PM

Totally agreed about Hammerstein. That place can kill any show. I had tickets to Morrissey when he was scheduled to play MSG, but passed on last weeks shows since I hate Hammerstein place so much.

Then again, MSG is now run by convicted sexual harrassers.

Posted by David McCaffredy | November 1, 2007 12:18 PM

"ryan isn't exactly writing "frat" guy or girl music"

are you serious? He is only one small step above Dave Matthews.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:19 PM

You people make artistic daring impossible. So Ryan didn't play the songs exactly like the album... fine - go listen to the album then. So he played lengthy jams proving that not only is he a gifted singer/songwriter but a fantastic guitarist and someone who wants (and this doesn't depend on whether you want him to or not!) to expand his own musical limits.

You are the kind of people that would have boo'd Dylan at Newport. Learn to appreciate an artist before you hurl the cynics ban.

Posted by Dave | November 1, 2007 12:20 PM

I think last night's show really hammered home the fact that I hate Ryan Adams fans (despite being one myself.)The show was a bunch of 30-40 somethings who took themselves, and the music, WAYY too seriously. I'm pretty sure nobody was having fun around me, and it was Halloween. The guy who suggested that the show be at Town Hall or the Beacon is the exact type of person I'm talking about. The person who prefers a "let's all sit-down and think hard about the music while we burn pictures of our family" approach to live music should be smacked in the face...hard.

It's really unfortunate too, because everytime I see them, Ryan seems to get better at lead guitar, brilliantly pushes the envelope with his singing (Down in a Hole is unbelievably sick), and his band is just TIGHT and makes changes seamlessly. I guess the mellow feel of the music just makes these stupid hipsters flock in droves. Overall the music was solid (with moments of true sickness), the fans sucked, the venue sucked and over-sold by 500+, and the Light Board Operator has a mild case of downs sydrome and is totally out of sync with the band. (What kind of idiot allows a 30 foot disco ball on stage to go more or less unused?)

To the man who dressed up last night as Rufio from "Hook": You are my hero...

Posted by Jles | November 1, 2007 12:35 PM

You could tell people were suffering though some of the second set waiting for him to pick it up and rock out with Halloweenhead and instead he plays a piano ballad version. I could not figure that out. Very dissapointing overall, although his voice was great all night.

Posted by dissapointed | November 1, 2007 12:35 PM

dave @ 12:20, you have a point, Ryan can do what he wants and it's great if he wants to stretch himself. Bottom line though is that Hammerstein is not the venue for this. I don't think most of the people there last night had any fun - there were too many people packed in the place, and as a result it was too difficult to try and pay attention to what Ryan was trying to do. Town Hall or the Beacon would have been fine.

Posted by edwyn the bear | November 1, 2007 12:36 PM

I thought the show as great. I loved seeing Ryan and the Cardinals jamming. Couldn't believe how long they played either. The crowd was totally disrespectful, though. If you want to talk and listen to music, go to a bar. Plus the sloppy drunk couple next to me in the front row of mez 2 were standing and blocking everyone behind them at the end. Dancing was really scary. Thought they were going over the railing a few different times.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:37 PM

i thought the show was fantastic. yes, hammerstein blows but being in the mezz and able to sit makes it somewhat tolerable. esp for such a long set. i feel for y'alls on the floor surrounded by the 'bags. majority of the folks in the mezz were very respectful and into it. it was a long jammy set and i imagine tough to stand through.

i'm glad ryan has toned down his antics and really made it about the music. A+. love the cards. all in all they sounded SO tight.

Posted by kelly | November 1, 2007 12:38 PM

yeah, i was a big fan of that huge disco ball. that ruled. where can i get one of those?

Posted by kelly | November 1, 2007 12:40 PM

The show was great. Ryan was great. The Cardinals were great. The lighting was great. The sound, for Hammerstein, was good. I don't really know what people expect out of him. He's an artist, and is constantly evolving; it's impossible to expect the Ryan of 2001 or 2002 to come out and play. He's put together a band that is able to reinterpret his music in new and challenging ways, and I think that showed last night.

Posted by matt | November 1, 2007 12:41 PM

"hard to believe there were those types of "frat" guys there.
ryan isn't exactly writing "frat" guy or girl music.
strange."

You obviously haven't been to a Ryan Adam's show recently. He should have never sold "To Be Young" for the beginning of Old School.

What made the Hiro Ballroom show nice was the fact that none of those frat d-bags new about it in the first place.

Posted by Paul | November 1, 2007 12:42 PM

I don't think there is a debate that the music was tight and that Ryan sounded good. I think the point at issue is that the venue (along with ticket over selling), and the influx of 'bags at the show detracted from what could have been an all star event. The music was amazing. Its just unfortunate that it was taken away from by poor planning and assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:44 PM

Well said Paul. I agree.

Posted by dkeady | November 1, 2007 12:45 PM

it sounded great (provided you were in the front 1/3 of the crowd).

when will you fucks learn that if you stand at the back - it's gonna sound shitty (see webster hall).

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:46 PM

Totally agree about Hiro. To go from that to people talking loudly during the music is a little hard to take.

Posted by Amy | November 1, 2007 12:47 PM

I dug the show, but wish he played a few more heavy-hitters. It finally got interesting at the end of the second set and the encore. The Cardinals are an incredible band, but are they all too cool to rock a costume on Halloween? And the crowd, I'd say less than half the crowd was in costume. Not that it matters, but come on people.
Live Nation really needs to set up another bar downstairs and maybe cordon off the floor into four sections with some aisles. The floor is a total disaster to navigate.

Cam Diaz

Posted by Cam. | November 1, 2007 12:52 PM

terrible venue to have 2-sets -- no one went anywhere bc they didnt want to lose their spot on the floor -- bad idea to have the intermission when the only one taking breaks was the band -- everyone else just stood there awaiting him to come back

only do that when you have a seated crowd who can get up etc -- especially when you pack it that tight

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:52 PM

I was an unethusiastic Ryan Adams fan for Halloween which ended up being a problem at the show because my girlfriend couldn't find me after she went to the bathroom during intermission.

Posted by Agent Cooper | November 1, 2007 12:53 PM

i saw him play a subdued set in michigan on this tour and thought it was awesome. it was in an old fashioned theatre and everyone just sat and enjoyed the jams. i can imagine that that was what it was like to go to a show in the 70s. i loved those ballady type interpretations of the songs live.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:54 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 12:54 PM

Ryan Adams is a legend and one of the greatest singer song writers of all time. A pure talent and a lyrical genius. You guys who are dissing the concert are a bunch of god damn AMATEURS.You should have brought a hotter date, b/c mine looked simply beautiful and we had a blast. Both sets were extremely solid and amazing. His vocals were tight and the band rocked! Hammerstein Ballroom was totally cool. I would have liked to hear EASY PLATEAU though.....but nevertheless it was GOOD TIMES!

Posted by GY | November 1, 2007 12:55 PM

try being at the minnepolis show... forty bucks for nada

Posted by anonymous | November 1, 2007 1:00 PM

For 12:19 Anon:

There is nothing-NOTHING-artistically daring about Grateful Dead-lite jam band horseshit...

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 1:08 PM

it's not grateful dead shit either people - it's more like my morning jacket.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 1:11 PM

I thought it was an awesome great big fuck you to all his douchebag fans who came to see him rock out halloweenhead and then he plays it as a rising ballad. Awesome interpretation of the song and appropriate for the tone of the whole show. I was waiting for him to jump into some sort of theatrics and he never did. He was completely professional and wanted to play one of the best shows he possibly could. In the end he and the cardinals were pumped and I was pumped. Great show. Hammerstein sucks. Ryan Adams fans suck. And he is a pussy but god I love him.

Posted by The Boss | November 1, 2007 1:18 PM

What a beautiful show...

Posted by anon | November 1, 2007 1:28 PM

it was an awful show..just not what i expected. i probably won't see ryan adams live again.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 1:34 PM

Hey Anonymous,
I think they were playing Rick Astley when the lights came on. I could be wrong.

Posted by Flood | November 1, 2007 1:43 PM

"I thought it was an awesome great big fuck you to all his douchebag fans who came to see him rock out halloweenhead and then he plays it as a rising ballad"

yea how "craaazy" of him, who would've thought that RYAN ADAMS would've done something like this. it was so typical he did that. and it sucked. he needed to just rock out, the crowd would've liked it.

if you're going to do a mellow/moody show play a smaller venue dick.

here's to him falling off the wagon.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 1:47 PM

Ryan Adams sucks when he's sober.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 1:50 PM

I have mixed feelings about last night's show. On the one hand, Ryan sounded absolutely amazing. His voice was spectacular, the band was tight, and the music seemed effortless. I don't know why people keep dissing the sound. I was on the floor about a 1/4 of the length from the stage and I thought it sounded great -- from farther back, I've heard it sounds worse, but if it makes you upset enough then perhaps you should get there earlier or just boycott the venue altogether. I expected a packed show and that's what it was, but I agree it was uncomfortable. I didn't notice too many fratty types in my general vicinity but if someone's mere presence annoys you that greatly, maybe it's best not to go out in public. I'm not exactly a frat boy sympathizer, but please -- get over it and don't let someone else ruin your enjoyment of the music.

So, on the other hand, almost every single song was played at the exact same tempo. For the length of his performance, and the size of the crowd making it impossible to move outside of a 6 inch radius, it all made for a somewhat exhausting experience. Looking around, I saw people stretching, people yawning, and people leaning on their friends/significant others. The performance was definitely more on the "jammy" side and that is fine, but it was completely mellow and in that environment it was very difficult to enjoy it. It would have been nice for him to pick up the tempo periodically and re-energize the crowd. I always opt for floor tickets, but I found myself envying those with seats last night.

So, I think his performance was different and it was good, but the show as a whole didn't work for me. It was just too long and too mellow. Having seen him many times before, I left with a weird mix of both admiration and disappointment.

Posted by Kool Moe Dee | November 1, 2007 1:58 PM

I'm a big RA fan but I was disappointed in the show last night. I've seen him at Town Hall, Beacon, Webster, Hiro, etc. and I'd say that last night would probably be last on my list. My biggest problem was that I felt the show really didn't flow. The beginning was great but then I felt like he lost the crowd in the middle of the show. He'd get the crowd going and then just let them go, at least it felt that way to me. Loved Let It Ride during the encore, really got the crowd going but during What Sin, the floor started emptying out.

One thing I always kind of liked about Ryan was that he was a bit crazy and out there. Starting songs/stopping them/starting over, jumping off stage to sing in the crowd, etc. I don't know, I always thought that was a fun part of seeing him play.

The band is excellent and really tight and I like the harmonies with the other guitarrist, but I don't need the 20 minute jams. I'm not going to rip him because he can do what he wants and I'm sure there's people that love those jams, just not particularly for me.

This was my favorite part of the show:

The Rescue Blues
The Sun Also Sets
When The Stars Go Blue
Goodnight Rose

Later.

Posted by Tremags | November 1, 2007 1:59 PM

I hate to say this, but 95% of the bands on here you post will prob. never be able to say they had a career as a musician as Ryan Adams. You people with all your here today gone tomorrow crap should seriously re-evaluate music if you feel the need to knock an artist for evolving and pushing his limits. Kudos should be given to a guy who gives nearly 3 hours of music and whose heart you can hear in voice. To complain that Halloween Head did not rock get f'n life. If you left before "I See Monsters" you really missed the boat.
For people who need Ryan to be quircky and give his banter you should have seen him when his life was in shambles and his drug addiction was in full gear. To want to see someone become an addict again is pathetic but I am assuming none of you have ever dealt in real life with family or friends that suffer from drug addiction.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 1:59 PM

I have some good heroin to sell to Ryan. Anyone have his contact info?

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 2:22 PM

Ryan Adams' manager (who also signed him) died on Tuesday night. Do a google news search of Ryan Adams and it will come up. MAYBE that's why he was off.

Posted by ray | November 1, 2007 2:37 PM

This was my first Ryan show. I'm a huge fan (mostly of Whiskeytown) but I have to say I was disappointed. They sounded great, band was tight, etc., but it's as if he took every song I fast forward through and made a set list of them. I'm sure the people that knew every word from Easy Tiger or Jacksonville Skyline were happier than I was. But then again, I don't think "Two" or "Halloweenhead" are the best things Ryan has ever done.

Posted by Whiskeytown | November 1, 2007 2:54 PM

Anyone tape the show last night? Would be a good one to have.

Cam Diaz

Posted by Cam. | November 1, 2007 3:08 PM

so he didn't play summer of 69?

Posted by HUGE_PHANNNNnnn | November 1, 2007 3:20 PM

it was a great show. i don't think i've heard him sound so good or so clear.

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 3:36 PM

it was a great show. i don't think i've heard him sound so good or so clear.

Posted by ryan_rocked | November 1, 2007 3:36 PM

assholes r never happy

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 4:01 PM

We were stuck in the back but it looked to us like he was drinking. It looked like it could be either a big bottle of Perrier, or whiskey. Or since it was Halloween, whiskey dressed up like a big bottle of perrier.

Posted by LL Smooth J | November 1, 2007 4:50 PM

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Ryan but I have seen him in the past and have been very pleased with the experience. This time I painfully stuck it out through the whole show... The crowd was obnoxious, legs hurt from being packed into one position, and it strangely felt like a Greatful Dead/Phish show (uhrg!). Though Ryan and the band were technically on point, I felt as if I was watching him mentally masturbate on stage.

Yes, Hammerstein is in the top three for worst venues in the city.

Posted by eskimo_oner | November 1, 2007 5:21 PM

"i wasnt surprised when 15% of people left after the first set, another 20% after the second set and people continued to walk out during the neverending encore."

What time did Daft Punk leave?

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2007 6:53 PM

I just relistened to the show and I strongly suggest otehrs do to. It is on Archives.org. This was a very very good performance by Ryan. perhaps it didn't live up to everyone expectations or what a Halloween show should be but to say it sucked is just stupid. The playing and the jams are very tight.

Posted by danfun | November 2, 2007 11:15 AM

if ryan adams hadn't have canceled tulsa for "an opportunity he couldn't pass up" then i would be able to join this argument.

i'm not bitter.

Posted by paige! | November 2, 2007 1:20 PM

what are you people talking about? were you at the same show I was at? In my 30 years of concert going I dont think Ive ever seen a band so fucking tight as Ryan and The cardinals. You might not have liked all his song choices but get over yourselves. If you want a lead singer with a country voice who plays a predictable set and dances for you then go see the Stones or the (out of retirement again) Eagles. Ryan was amazing.

Posted by tim | November 3, 2007 9:59 AM

anybody have a bootleg copy of the halloween show they want to share?

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2007 3:39 AM

I did not attend this show but have been to several at Hammerstein and can honestly say it is my least favorite venue in the city (tied with the Theatre at MSG). The sound is absolute crap and the stage is set back so far from the crowd. I will never attend another show at Hammerstein unless it is one of my top 3 favorite bands and that is the only show they are playing near where I live.

Posted by Anonymous | November 5, 2007 9:13 AM

Ryan Adams came out with Phil Lesh & Friends at the Nokia Theater on Friday night and played the entire third set + encore - nearly two hours.

Phil led the band through a psychedelic journey of a set that began with "Wharf Rat" and saw reinterpretations of some of the Dead's finest, most intricate songs. Ryan's vocals were haunting and heart-wrenching and the whole thing had a dreamlike quality to it - gave you that "is this really happening?" kind of feeling.

If you're an RA fan and don't get turned off by his jammy/Dead leanings, this absolute gem of a show is up already at archive.org.

Thank you Ryan, Phil, the rest of the band, and everyone who attended this show. The positivity and genuine love of music expressed by this crowd (and, in return, by the band) is something I hope all of you here get to experience one day.

Posted by simp | November 5, 2007 11:10 AM

i though this show was awesome. and i couldn't think of a better way to spend halloween. it was jammed pack with music. i did miss ryan though and his banter. i suppose i have come to expect to go to his show and hear him talk. and that is cool, cause whether drunk or not, when he's bantering he makes you feel like you are in this really intimate space.. like you are right there in his livingroom or he is in yours. and that feels right on..i gotta say he did bust out a lot of songs and he finished them all. the crowd was a little strange, i'm not sure what woodwork they came out of. i was in the second row (if you can count rows when there are none) and people, well, they just were kind of anal. i remember that.. like they didn't want you near them... so i'm thinking go listen at home, we are at a concert people! anyway, i like seeing him live, any way shape or form. for the most part, i have seen him at seated shows, so it was quite a treat to be able to stand and dance to all the music.
ps. i actually saw someone sleeping while they were standing.. their girlfriend was enjoying the show though.. maybe that was a frat boy? who knows. who cares.. i had a great time and i left there feeling happier then ever.

Posted by sell your computer by a guitar | November 10, 2007 1:04 AM