Posted in music | tour dates on November 2, 2007

Sly & The Family StoneControversial as it may be - "due to overwhelming demand", Sly & The Family Stone have added a 2nd night of performances at BB King Blues Club & Grill in NYC. The first date is December 7th. The new date is much earlier - November 20th - also 2 shows (early & late), and tickets will also be $86.00.

Also coming up @ BB King's: A Radiohead tribute band, Ronnie Spector's Christmas Party, Ja Rule, Chuck Berry, two shows by BB King himself, and two shows by Isaac Hayes.

This is fantastic news! If I can get tickets to all the shows, I might be able to catch a half hour total worth of Sly!

Posted by Jerry Koffman | November 2, 2007 3:03 PM

Only 1 and 1/4 of the people in that picture will be at BB King's

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2007 4:07 PM

Posted by Anonymous | November 2, 2007 11:41 PM

"DO NOT GO! He is about 65 years old, nearly as shot as Brian Wilson and it's not even worth a nostalgia trip."

Oh dont kid yourself. He is far more shot than Brian Wilson. Brian still composes. His latest work is really really good. Sly is way more gone sadly.

Posted by Anonymous | November 3, 2007 2:07 AM

The youtube videos of recent Sly shows sound pretty amazing. If he comes out and does 3 songs that's only about one less then we got out of The Shaggs, which was a life experience that may never be repeated.

Posted by Anonymous | November 4, 2007 12:12 AM

Daft Punk goes on right after Aqueduct Pocket and before Third World Lover.

Posted by Scotty Kane | November 20, 2007 5:14 PM

Was at both shows tonight. The first show was a bit shaky with the expected akward moments, a lot of talking, but a few moments of brilliance. The 2nd show was unreal - one of the best I have ever seen. It really was night and day between the two. Looking forward to Dec 7.

Posted by Anonymous | November 21, 2007 1:05 AM

I was @ the 2nd show and while was second on line too the 2nd show my party of 3 got a lot of very mixed reviews from the people exiting the first show. Most were negative about Sly they said the band was fine but Sly was off. What did people expect cart wheels from a man who is in his mid 60's.
Well, for me and the 2nd show Sly was witty, funny, funky and entertaining. He acme out to the crowd and was later joined by Paul Shaffer an extra treat, so for me and my party of 3 would like to thank you for a very electrifying night to say the least.

Posted by Frank | November 21, 2007 9:32 AM

There were three original members not 1 1/4 as stated on stage....They were awesome and just seeing Sly perform after decades of drug abuse and self imposed seclusion is a miracle in itself. All you haters should find another forum....Sly's fans know what to expect and are fine with the many brilliant moments that still exsist. Funkiest Dude on Da Planet....Regardless.

Posted by Joe | November 21, 2007 2:10 PM

Posted by Joe | November 21, 2007 2:10 PM

The reference to Sly's 1st appearance in NYC in 32 years is wrong!
I saw Sly and the Family Stone (no original members except for Sly) at the Red Parrot, Sly Stone w/Bobby Womack at the Beacon, and Sly Stone w/The P-Funk All Stars at the Ritz. All these shows were in the early 80's.
Admittedly, Sly was not at his best at any of these gigs and none of them included the original Family Stone. But, he looked like the old Sly, and the P-Funk gigs were amazing. If I remember correctly, the band included George Clinton (of course), Eddie Hazel, Michael Hampton, Gary Shider, Bernie Worrell, Maceo Parker, Fred Wesley, Junie Morrison, The Brides of Funkenstein and dozens more.
Sly contributed little live, but they did put out a single at the time with Sly and the P-Funk Allstars called "Pump It Up"
I'll be at BB's on Dec 7 (early show); got my fingers crossed!

Posted by Jeff | November 21, 2007 3:54 PM

To be specific: the other two original members were Cynthia Robison on trumpet and Jerry Martini on sax ("Cynthia and Jerry's got a message/they're saying, 'all the squares go home').

Last night's second show will sadly not go down in the music history book's as Sly Stone's triumphant return to New York, but for the few hundred who witnessed this event (by no means were there 1,000 people at BB King's, as previously reported. The club was at least 1/3 full), we were given something very special, something no one could have imagined possible if they were familiar with the backstory of the legend's withdrawal from the public-eye or if they saw the infamous 2006 Grammy cameo. Around 11:30 (an hour after showtime), a peculiar French woman came out on stage to kill time. No one knew what this woman's significance was, and as she unenthusiactlly began to mispronounce Sly song titles, the crowd mind began to think Sly wasn't coming...for about a second. Sly interrupted this mysterious woman's failed pepping, swiftly hopping on stage and pacing around before a stunned crowd, bearing a smile that only meant he was in a good mood. He was cursing and revealed to us that he had not rehearsed for the show. Nevertheless, he brought out the band one by one, leading them into "Thank You," beginning a two-hour late-night set of sloppy and concise jams, the way funk was meant to be played. Sly was elated, pumping his fists and constantly giving his hand out to the crowd in front of the stage. His body was frail, but his spirit was there. His voice was also surprisingly in great shape. The show certainly had it's peculiar moments, specifically Sly's choice of political rant: pedophilia and seatbelts on school buses. But he was simply happy to have us around, a small but jovial crowd to entertain (his constant noodling on his vocoder was humoring). I am still reckoning with this event, but all I know is that I got to see Sylvester Stewart (my icon) in person, something I would have deemed impossible just as far back as several months ago. I feel blessed to have looked into the eyes of one of the most underrated (and mysterious) minds in modern pop culture.

Songs played (no particular order):
Thank You (Fallenten Me Be Mice Elf Agin)
Dance to the Music
Family Affair
Sing A Simple Song
Stand
Don't Call Me Nigga Whitey
Hot Fun in the Summertime (w/Paul Schaffer)
(I Want to Take You) Higher

Posted by Jesse | November 21, 2007 7:03 PM

I got a chance to see him this summer in Finland at a festival he was headlining and let me say it was brilliant. He only came on for about 4 songs in the set, while the band held up the rest. But still VERY solid band and they killed it.

Posted by Dominic | November 23, 2007 8:13 PM

2nd show was terrific!!! all of those who understand this man and his music know how blessed we all were to witness a genius still alive today. If not for Sly there would be no hip hop because everyone has sampled from his music!!!

Posted by Anonymous | November 23, 2007 10:12 PM

Sly has given more than his share by far. He is
a super star and regardless of what anyone thinks
about his performance he is who he is. Keep the
negative to yourself please, he deserves only
praise.

Posted by Leslie Lombardi | November 25, 2007 12:29 AM

He's heavy and he's my brother.

Posted by Freddie Stone | November 26, 2007 12:25 AM

I haven't seen the show yet, but I look forward to getting to New York for the December 7, show, god bless Sly and I'm glad he's back on the scene.

Posted by burnett jones | November 27, 2007 7:48 PM

I did not make it to any of the New York performances to see the man who influenced me,even today, as a musician,songwriter,and singer.My friend,SLY STONE,AND THE FAMILY never.I saw him in concert,in Newark,New Jersey in 1970.That was a show that I will never forget.Finally, in his music,he is a genious,a poet,and My Friend.I love you SLY.

Posted by terrence kelsor | December 12, 2007 1:36 AM

This is the first I learned of the shows in New York at B.B. King's. I am shocked. Sly, Sylvester Stewart, came out of seclusion and went onstage (ignore the cameo on the music awards show in February two years ago)? My gosh! God! If only you fellow Sly fans knew the Sly of old, that is, the Sly of the late sixties, like I do. Dude was so baaaaaaaad! Whew! He influenced everything in the culture. He dressed like nobody before or since. I wanted so badly to have the clothes he wore. In every picture of Sly, he's wearing really really slick outfit (check out his attire at Woodstock) Sly was my hero. He was a rock star's rock star. Have you ever seen Sly and the Family Stone walk out on stage? I have. I saw them at Harvard Stadium (outside) in the summer of 1969, I saw them at Boston College, also in 1969. I saw the Woodstock movie a gazillion times because of Sly and the Family Stone's performance (I still watch it). They got the crowd into it in every way. Sly rarely, if at all, sat down at his organ (check out Woodstock). Now that was my Sly and the Family Stone. Geez, what a fortunate occurrence, Sly performing in this day and age. Wish I could've been there.

Posted by BJ Jones | March 5, 2008 9:31 PM